Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Javid posted:

Running across other people's ruins would be pretty awesome.

I remember in the last thread two or three whole pages of the thread got filled with Minecraft epitahs like:

Here lies poor Billy
His death was swift
Building sky bridges
Without holding shift

So it'd be nice if in other people's ruins you could find chests with headstones like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's from Reddit but this is related and is a pretty cool idea for sharing world stuff

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Tracula posted:

It's from Reddit but this is related and is a pretty cool idea for sharing world stuff

This is a cool idea that is nearly ruined by reminding everyone of the space phase at the end of Spore.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

rinski posted:

This is a cool idea that is nearly ruined by reminding everyone of the space phase at the end of Spore.

I was literally going to post this word for word. Are you me?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

rinski posted:

I actually liked that space phase, just sort of populating more and more planets.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of spore, am I the only one who's noticed that the main minecraft music sounds exactly like the creature creator music?

Also I loved spore :colbert:

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
So, I've been feverishly working on a project for the past few days, and I'm feeling the need to show off;

As you can see, I have some exterior landscaping to do, since it's just Icecrown Citadel sitting in a hole, but the citadel itself is just about done. I'll probably end up adding the two gunships before I'm done.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
Uhm, so I am putting up a Minecraft-server for my brother and his friends. I have never hosted a minecraft-server before, so I was thinking someone in here may have some pointers.
Right now I am looking at getting them a i3-530 (2.93GHz) with 8 gigs of ram and 500GB of disk, putting Linux on it and run most of the stuff headless.

Now.. running the actual minecraft-server I can probably figure out, but what I would like to know is if there is some kind of web-based admintool I can install for them, so they can do stuff like add mods, reboot the server etc.

Also, what does a minecraft server benefit the most from? Fast disk, lots of ram, fast cpu?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scuttle_SE posted:

Uhm, so I am putting up a Minecraft-server for my brother and his friends.

You're building a purpose-built PC as a minecraft server? Or do you plan on doing some other things with it as well?

Have you considered a rental server instead? For $10 a month you can feel out if you guys really need $250+ worth of equipment, or if everyone is going to lose interest in the project after three weeks. There's a bunch of great serverhosts in the OP.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Hadlock posted:

You're building a purpose-built PC as a minecraft server? Or do you plan on doing some other things with it as well?

Have you considered a rental server instead? For $10 a month you can feel out if you guys really need $250+ worth of equipment, or if everyone is going to lose interest in the project after three weeks. There's a bunch of great serverhosts in the OP.

Seriously, this. For the money it would cost you to build a good Linux box for MC dedicated you could rent a server for over a year and a half. With a bit extra you could throw in a domain, which is a bit trickier if you are working Outta The Home with a dynamic IP, but so worth the convenience.

(Make sure to price shop for the host and domain separately if you take his advice.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hadlock posted:

Seconding this. I'm sure there's a cheap plan for what you're asking, and a lot less stress involved.

vvvv: Ah, well as long as it has some use outside of Minecraft, good luck! :)

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I will be "rolling my own", the machine will be a new machine, but if my brother gets tired of minecrafting there are already stuff I have planned for it :)
He's been running his server in a virtual machine on my ESXi-server for about six months now, but it's getting sluggish he says, so I'm helping him putting up something dedicated.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
hey danyull, when will i be receiving the map? i need to create glorious things already!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cbouncerrun posted:

I find it doubtful that silverfish will be in blocks placed by the player.
I know it would be annoying as all hell, but I'm still intrigued by the idea of silverfish infesting a player built home, like giant homicidal termites.

"Ayep, sounds like y'got th' silverfish. I'd put on a pair a' goggles if I were you. Silverfish got themselves a powerful appetite fr' eyeballs."

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Stratafyre posted:

So, I've been feverishly working on a project for the past few days, and I'm feeling the need to show off;

As you can see, I have some exterior landscaping to do, since it's just Icecrown Citadel sitting in a hole, but the citadel itself is just about done. I'll probably end up adding the two gunships before I'm done.

I love you so loving much for this. It's incredible!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Stratafyre posted:

This is really loving good. Thread needs more poo poo like this.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

chippy posted:

This is really loving good. Thread needs more poo poo like this.

seriously, can you box that up in mcedit and post up the schematic? that's beautiful.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can we not like quote gigantic images x 5 just to add a single line.reply of wow, cool!

Makes it pretty annoying to read in android/iphone app.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Allow me to vent about how poorly written guides to redstone and its various torches are.

Last night I tried playing with them for fun and reading the wiki, wanting to get to the point where I get how they work well enough to create my own machines.

And the minecraft wiki guides are utter loving poo poo.
The throw out electronic engineering jargon all over everything without defining what they mean. Redstone is not electrical engineering. They are blocks that send values to other blocks in a java-based video game. But I guess everyone knows what a diode does or how to work latches and flip flops.

They display schematics for machines with multiple layers with an animated loving gif in an invented notation - it's like reading a book by flashing it at you one word at a time in a language you only started learning. It doesn't help that I'm not entirely sure how the pieces make sense contextually.

And most importantly they do not do what a wiki is supposed to loving do. They do not tell you what the redstone torches and wires do. I mean, as long as you're throwing terms from fields most people will never study all over the goddamn place, would it pain them to just put down an algorithm? There's a lot of counter intuitive aspects to redstone. Torches on sides of blocks work slightly differently than torches on top of blocks, blocks being "charged" act a bit different than redstone wires that are "on" with respect to torches, and redstone itself seems to sort of count as a block instead of the face of a block. I just wanted to know the very basics: What does a torch do each tick, what does a wire do each tick, what does a repeater do each tick.

There's other articles, and an entire example world in the thread, but I did not use those because I usually figure that active members of the community would be updating the wiki so I wanted to figure out if I could understand it just by using the wiki. It was a frustrating experience to say the least.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Can we not like quote gigantic images x 5 just to add a single line.reply of wow, cool!

Makes it pretty annoying to read in android/iphone app.

A better approach might be to ask the app creators to handle timg tags properly.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 31, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

They display schematics for machines with multiple layers with an animated loving gif in an invented notation - it's like reading a book by flashing it at you one word at a time in a language you only started learning. It doesn't help that I'm not entirely sure how the pieces make sense contextually.
Yeah, I could probably parse through the jargon eventually, but gently caress those god drat animated gifs long and hard.

Yeah, there's other resources available, but trying to work with those gifs pissed me off so much I've never learned any sort of really advanced redstone stuff.

Speaking of (slightly) advanced redstone, I had an idea for a secret passage using pistons and gravel, that would essentially be a vertical stack of four blocks- two pistons with two gravel on top. When activated, the pistons would extend and the gravel would be pushed up to hide the passage. When deactivated they'd retract and the gravel would fall.

The issue was that pistons couldn't push or pull extended pistons, so to push the gravel up, the bottom piston had to be activated, then the top one... but to be retracted the top one had to be withdrawn before the bottom one could pull it down.

Does anyone have any idea how the heck I'd go about doing that (or have any guides/videos that might address something like that)?

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007

Eiba posted:

Speaking of (slightly) advanced redstone, I had an idea for a secret passage using pistons and gravel, that would essentially be a vertical stack of four blocks- two pistons with two gravel on top. When activated, the pistons would extend and the gravel would be pushed up to hide the passage. When deactivated they'd retract and the gravel would fall.

The issue was that pistons couldn't push or pull extended pistons, so to push the gravel up, the bottom piston had to be activated, then the top one... but to be retracted the top one had to be withdrawn before the bottom one could pull it down.

Does anyone have any idea how the heck I'd go about doing that (or have any guides/videos that might address something like that)?

You can try using the same configuration as the bottom of this porticullis, but with a lever instead of a button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voqjtXT5d-s

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
If you want to remove the lever/button/plate while you're away then it might be simpler to use two inputs (one for opening, the other for closing) and have a latch that keeps the pistons up when you want the door shut even when the switch is gone.

EDIT: I tested it and it works:

When the upper torch is on, the door is shut. When the lower torch is on, it's open. Blue is the latch, black are inputs (buttons here), green shuts the door (the repeater is 1-tick) and orange opens it.

EDIT: you don't actually need the repeater.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 31, 2011

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is 1.8/1.9 going to smooth out the netcode?

The server lag when riding carts and poo poo is obnoxious and really shouldn't exist in a modern game.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Sylink posted:

The server lag when riding carts and poo poo is obnoxious and really shouldn't exist in a modern game.

I presume that the netcode will be smoothed out when the single-player and multi-player modes are combined to work in the same way, which should also make mods work for both versions.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Sylink posted:

It's more a product of a god-awful amount of data being sent from the server as chunks load/unload which is what makes servers rough on bandwidth to begin with. One person riding in a cart can easily pull 180KB/s and multiply that by each person in a cart or walking around.

In reality I think Notch needs to add some data culling to the chunks. Rather then sending players ALL objects within all chunks, only sent visible blocks, or blocks up to 3-layers deep from visible. No reason to have to have access to blocks 60 deep that you will never even mine to. As the player approaches, that block data can be sent which will reduce the overall network use by tons.

Notch would probably say it was impossible until someone mods it in.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Isn't that how the cubic chunks mod works? And didn't Notch already claim it was impossible until that was created?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I could probably parse through the jargon eventually, but gently caress those god drat animated gifs long and hard.

Yeah, there's other resources available, but trying to work with those gifs pissed me off so much I've never learned any sort of really advanced redstone stuff.

The way that I manage stacked pistons is to have the top piston not get power directly from the switch, but to power a block that will be next to the top piston when the bottom one extends. That takes care of raising in the right order. They won't collapse correctly without a little extra bit though. I add an extra power line to the bottom piston with a repeater. This holds power to the bottom piston while the top one collapses. I just wish that sticky pistons could pull more than one block; can't make a piston elevator move the player more than two blocks.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

glug posted:

seriously, can you box that up in mcedit and post up the schematic? that's beautiful.

I can try, I'm looking for the mod now. I'll edit this post if I figure it out.

Edit; Here's the link for the overworld section: http://www.mediafire.com/?3tqvesatd7z21tt

The Upper Spire is in the Nether, because... it just doesn't fit inside.

Stratafyre fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 31, 2011

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I usually watch those Digital Diamond segments during a break at work, and yesterday's entry was a slap to the face of everything I've ever made in this game.

365 days of work by 50+ players (who appear to be very talented) without any item gives or imported schematics.

Every single build previewed in the video looks amazing, it's truly some of the best work I've seen yet.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Stratafyre posted:

I can try, I'm looking for the mod now. I'll edit this post if I figure it out.

Sorry, prolly better in the modding thread, but technically it's not a mod. Link should be in the OP of one of the threads, but it's a stand-alone program that will read your game map, let you explore it with cludgey controls, and mark a region to copy and save to an external file.

It also lets you take a different game map, find a region, and load and place that schematic you previously saved, letting anyone drop your tower into their world, or you drop your tower into your next world.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Eiba posted:

why would you want to do this? you could achieve the same effect with sticky pistons pulling to one side or one above and one below if you used normal blocks (glowstone is a favourite of mine for this).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
That Icecrown Citadel is insane. Really great job on that. Did you gather all the resources legitimately?

Love that Reddit idea, too. Haven't played for a while as I've been waiting on the new patch. That Citadel has inspired me to build again, now my fingers are itching.

Is the new patch going to up the height limit by default? Will you need to download a mod, modify a line of code, or change an in-game setting?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

Most of my learning started out on this page, its written in a bit of a pandering tone but the content is pretty solid.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/104953-the-absolute-beginners-guide-to-everything-redstone/

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Vib Rib posted:

Wow, I hadn't actually watched that video until now, but it's got me more excited than ever. I'm not that interested in the new mob, but even the small gimmicky additions to combat look like they'll liven it up, and that fight with the axe where he charged under the skeleton's arrow and then spun around to jump-strike the other was awesome.

More than anything though, I love the way the world itself looks. The new terrain features like mountains and rivers look great, and the biomes are grown incredibly in size. But most importantly, every biome seems to have its own specific land generation code now. Those plains looked goddamn fantastic. They looked like plains. Very grassy, rolling, mostly flat, no trees.
I'm in it for the world itself, at the end of the day, so seeing these improvements is very reassuring.

I can't agree with this more. I don't know what it was about the videos, but I felt like the biomes just FELT more realistic this time. The plains looked like blocky savannahs and the hilly mountainous area reminded me of the beginnings of a mountain range.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Wasn't the first part of 1.8 supposed to come out today.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Senator Woofington posted:

Wasn't the first part of 1.8 supposed to come out today.

No. He said we might see 1.8 "the week after PAX", however earlier in the week he said they need more time tuning from the PAX suggestions and didn't have a date for us.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Jens said the 8th is a good guess.

jeb_ posted:

The plan right now is to release the "PAX version" of Minecraft ASAP, but there is some crucial work remaining. Sep 8th is a good guess.

Notch is even working on it a bit.

Notch posted:

Today I cleaned up sprinting (it's infinite now, but drains lots of food. Jumping is boosted) and added the player list in multiplayer.

Having a boosted jump could be fun platforming for future adventure maps.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

wyoming posted:

Notch is even working on it a bit.

Am I reading this correctly? Sprinting will just eat food out of my inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HAL9100 posted:

Am I reading this correctly? Sprinting will just eat food out of my inventory?

No, he means the hunger meter thing. He talked about having it drain, because at PAX they just had sprint as a timed function, now as long as you have a full stomach, you can sprint until you starve I guess.