Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
I've been slowly making my way through Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac but unfortunately I've hit a roadblock. In chapter 12 you're supposed to modify an app you built in an earlier chapter to include a preference window, however I cannot for the life of me get mine to show up, and there's no logging or errors to give me any indication of what's going wrong. As far as I can tell I've followed the book (as best as I can given the XCode 3 -> 4 differences) but I just can't figure it out.

I've thrown my entire project up at http://www.mediafire.com/?ddnyjx2wof6cia7 and I was hopeful one of you fine folk could tell me what's gone wrong. As you can see from the quality of the app I'm still very much just playing around and learning.

Also, are there any books of a similar learning curve dedicated to XCode 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

SeventySeven posted:

Also, are there any books of a similar learning curve dedicated to XCode 4?

The new version of the book is supposed to come out in October. Hopefully this also means Xcode 4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's a really weird tumultuous time for someone learning to develop for IOS. Transitioning to Xcode 4 combined with things like ARC on the horizon have me worried that I'm going to get myself used to one method of memory management while another is just around the corner. I don't mean to imply that manual memory management is bad to know or anything, but it would be awesome if the book covered it as well, even as an afterthought.

Really wish I'd just stuck with it a year ago instead of re-learning it all now :smith:

geera
May 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Really wish I'd just stuck with it a year ago instead of re-learning it all now :smith:
If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. I read through a few books and watched a lot of the Stanford courses several months ago, and I had started to get a pretty good handle on things when it kind of fell off my radar for a while. Now that I'd like to get back in to it, all of my resources are out of date and I don't really know where to go for updated information.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have been given the task of making an app for the iPhone. Its not going to be too complicated and I already have Adobe Flash down so thought "this isn't too bad" and then apple announces its not allowing anything written in flash in the app store. poo poo.

So does anyone have any good beginner tutorials for me to get to grips with XCode. Something really really simple to start with as I want to learn it and not just cut and paste some tutorial code and think I have achieved something.

Alternatively is there any flash like tool that I can create the app in that Apple has decided is worthy of their store? I don't have $3000 to blow on Unity though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

geera posted:

Now that I'd like to get back in to it, all of my resources are out of date and I don't really know where to go for updated information.

Well, resources are pretty much still the same now as they were then. The only thing that I struggled with at the beginning was converting Interface Builder skills to Xcode4, but that took a few hours really. It was more trouble in my mind than it was in practice, but it would be awesome if the next semester of CS193p was on iTunesU and included Xcode4 (it can't not, at this point), and ARC (probably won't, but a man can dream).

For someone who's starting from nothing, though, it might be harder to work with Xcode4 given Xcode3 material. That's really the only reason I say it's tumultuous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I used "Beginning iPhone 4 Development - Exploring the iOS SDK." It covers pretty much everything in a fairly basic level of detail, and the lessons are self-contained enough that you don't necessarily have to do every single one (though I would recommend doing all of the early ones, maybe up to chapter 7 or so).

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

PT6A posted:

I used "Beginning iPhone 4 Development - Exploring the iOS SDK." It covers pretty much everything in a fairly basic level of detail, and the lessons are self-contained enough that you don't necessarily have to do every single one (though I would recommend doing all of the early ones, maybe up to chapter 7 or so).

Awesome thanks, Is it worth looking at HTML5, it isn't immediately clear if this can go in the store?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Awesome thanks, Is it worth looking at HTML5, it isn't immediately clear if this can go in the store?

You can build an HTML5 app that doesn't need to go into the store at all. For an example look at Amazon's recent Kindle HTML5 app they built. Of course, it may not feel like a native app and probably won't perform as well.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

echobucket posted:

You can build an HTML5 app that doesn't need to go into the store at all. For an example look at Amazon's recent Kindle HTML5 app they built. Of course, it may not feel like a native app and probably won't perform as well.

I suppose the answer is will people buy it if its not in the store? Without a massive marketing budget, probably not. Hmm look like I had better get learning and fast!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I suppose the answer is will people buy it if its not in the store? Without a massive marketing budget, probably not. Hmm look like I had better get learning and fast!

Also, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to monetize it when you don't put it in the store. You'll need all that sales infrastructure that you get for free with the app store.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

echobucket posted:

Also, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to monetize it when you don't put it in the store. You'll need all that sales infrastructure that you get for free with the app store.

How unrealistic is this.... I have 6 Months to get an app to market. from what I know now, nothing. To a fully working app. I should explain that the client wants a professor leyton like murder mystery game, but with only 5 scenes or levels. I can do the artwork no problem and the story is sorted. Am I screwed? (in flash this would be a complicated but doable task)

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

thegasman2000 posted:

I have been given the task of making an app for the iPhone. Its not going to be too complicated and I already have Adobe Flash down so thought "this isn't too bad" and then apple announces its not allowing anything written in flash in the app store. poo poo.

They've rescinded that decision and you've been able to publish from Flash CS5 and up to iOS. I'd recommend going from CS5.5 though, as the AIR 2.7 runtime/packager provides some significant performance increases.

That being said, learn Objective-C and the Cocoa framework anyway. It's not that confusing once you figure out the syntax and memory management principles. This will allow you to use all the APIs provided by Apple instead of being locked into what Adobe exposes in Actionscript.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

nolen posted:

They've rescinded that decision and you've been able to publish from Flash CS5 and up to iOS. I'd recommend going from CS5.5 though, as the AIR 2.7 runtime/packager provides some significant performance increases.

That being said, learn Objective-C and the Cocoa framework anyway. It's not that confusing once you figure out the syntax and memory management principles. This will allow you to use all the APIs provided by Apple instead of being locked into what Adobe exposes in Actionscript.

Thank you! That is me well and truly off the hook! :) I will learn Objective-C as I am interested in it, but I don't like to learn on a massively tight schedule!

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

thegasman2000 posted:

So does anyone have any good beginner tutorials for me to get to grips with XCode. Something really really simple to start with as I want to learn it and not just cut and paste some tutorial code and think I have achieved something.

Alternatively is there any flash like tool that I can create the app in that Apple has decided is worthy of their store? I don't have $3000 to blow on Unity though.

Huh, I thought they reversed their decision to block apps ported from flash.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

SmirkingJack posted:

Huh, I thought they reversed their decision to block apps ported from flash.

EDIT: Wait, I read your post wrong. Thought you were quoting me instead of him. Sorry for the confusion.

YES YOU CAN USE FLASH TO MAKE iOS APPS.

nolen fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 29, 2011

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

nolen posted:

Is this new? As in, they originally said "NO FLASH APPS", then said, "OKAY FLASH APPS", and have now decided on "HAHA NO FLASH APPS AGAIN"?

To be honest I have been relying on blog posts and stuff for the news. It seems you are correct according to another blog post. Not sure where to obtain news like this.

iloveyouall
Oct 26, 2007
The two books which really helped me grasp the language were:

[Code]
Big Nerd Ranch Guide - http://www.amazon.com/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Guide-Guides/dp/0321773772/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314641984&sr=8-2.

&

[Theory]
iOS 4 Programming -http://www.amazon.com/Programming-iOS-Fundamentals-iPhone-Development/dp/1449388434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314642033&sr=8-1

Big Nerd Ranch was great for writing out applications from start to finish and slowly introducing certain concepts, and iOS4 is light on sample and big on theory. Both are updated for Xcode 4.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The Big Nerd Ranch dude's hate of dot-notation is pretty dumb IMHO. In the iOS version he just calls it "confusing" but in the OS X version he he says it's stupid and silly.

It comes across as just him not wanting to learn a new thing. Wonder what he'll think of ARC.

Luckily everything else in the book is pretty good.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 29, 2011

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a good way to determine the exact model iPad at compile time (1 or 2)? I need to change some things to optimize between the two, and I'd rather do it at compile time than runtime.

If it needs to be runtime, is there a better solution than this StackOverflow answer?

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

It's a really weird tumultuous time for someone learning to develop for IOS. Transitioning to Xcode 4 combined with things like ARC on the horizon have me worried that I'm going to get myself used to one method of memory management while another is just around the corner. I don't mean to imply that manual memory management is bad to know or anything, but it would be awesome if the book covered it as well, even as an afterthought.

I gotta say I've been going through the same transition and the way XCode 4 handles ARC and tells you off for using old-style memory management is really friendly, and will let you know if you're doing anything wrong. I switched a project over to ARC and all it really did was just point out all my retains, releases and deallocs etc and told me to get rid of them.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

nolen posted:

EDIT: Wait, I read your post wrong. Thought you were quoting me instead of him. Sorry for the confusion.

YES YOU CAN USE FLASH TO MAKE iOS APPS.

Yep, we're having to use Flash Builder at school for a couple of assignments. All I can say really is that Flash + XML on a mobile platform is just as fun as it sounds. Doesn't help that Flash Builder 4.5 itself is a buggy piece of poo poo.

On the other hand, it's quick as hell to get a really basic app up and running.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lord funk posted:

Is there a good way to determine the exact model iPad at compile time (1 or 2)? I need to change some things to optimize between the two, and I'd rather do it at compile time than runtime.

If it needs to be runtime, is there a better solution than this StackOverflow answer?
I believe they're both ARMv7, so you can't compile a universal binary with separate iPad 1 and 2 versions.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lord funk posted:

As Small White Dragon says, both iPads load and run the same code. They won't differentiate.

I feel like you should actually ask your question about what you're trying to do.

quote:

Sure: check for the presence of features you need, e.g. whether a camera is present, or some amount of video memory.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Small White Dragon posted:

I believe they're both ARMv7, so you can't compile a universal binary with separate iPad 1 and 2 versions.

And in reality, you should be checking against capabilities of the device instead of the type of device itself.

Worst-case, check if the device has a camera and then do a UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad conditional. Not a proper solution but a helluva lot cleaner than the StackOverflow answer you posted.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

Ender.uNF posted:

Man, I'm creating a new account for an LLC and the hoops you need to jump through are amazing. They now want notarized copies of the partnership agreement. Why the Secretary of State's letter accepting the LLC isn't enough I'll never know...
You know, the incorporation aspect isn't talked about much here. Anyone know of any decent write-ups on what kind of companies are best for different mobile app developers?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Probably an LLC, though you should really really really talk to an accountant and an attorney, and go with whatever they recommend.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 30, 2011

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SeventySeven posted:

I've thrown my entire project up at http://www.mediafire.com/?ddnyjx2wof6cia7 and I was hopeful one of you fine folk could tell me what's gone wrong. As you can see from the quality of the app I'm still very much just playing around and learning.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is normally a pretty helpful (and quick) thread, and I notice nobody's tried to help you out yet. Personally, I skipped over your query because "what's wrong?" is far too general a question. If you can do a bit more legwork in figuring out what's wrong (such as "I get this error message" or "I expect to see X when I do Y but I see Z instead", and/or narrow down which part of your project seems to have the problem, I'd feel more willing to help.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Re: iPad 1 vs. 2 check --

I'm writing an audio synthesis app that really pushes the processor to get every drop of power, and I've been developing on an iPad 2. I continue to optimize every ounce of performance out of my synthesis code, but I fear that I may need to make some cuts to the synthesis code itself to avoid sample dropping on the iPad 1. For example, I might need to drop the maximum voice polyphony. This would mean loading a lighter version of the synthesis graph.

Checking for device capabilities is already done. But I'm anticipating a hit in the processor, and for that I would need to know which device it's running on.

I'll be getting my hands on an iPad 1 within the next week or so. We'll see how bad it is...

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

lord funk posted:

Re: iPad 1 vs. 2 check --

I'm writing an audio synthesis app that really pushes the processor to get every drop of power, and I've been developing on an iPad 2. I continue to optimize every ounce of performance out of my synthesis code, but I fear that I may need to make some cuts to the synthesis code itself to avoid sample dropping on the iPad 1. For example, I might need to drop the maximum voice polyphony. This would mean loading a lighter version of the synthesis graph.

Checking for device capabilities is already done. But I'm anticipating a hit in the processor, and for that I would need to know which device it's running on.

I'll be getting my hands on an iPad 1 within the next week or so. We'll see how bad it is...

My suggestion that I posted earlier would tell you which iPad you are running on currently. No camera + UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad tells you that you are on an iPad with no camera. iPad first generation, ahoy.

Like I said, still not the "proper" way of handling such a test but I would say it's better than checking device types specifically like the StackOverflow link.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

nolen posted:

My suggestion that I posted earlier would tell you which iPad you are running on currently. No camera + UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad tells you that you are on an iPad with no camera. iPad first generation, ahoy.

Like I said, still not the "proper" way of handling such a test but I would say it's better than checking device types specifically like the StackOverflow link.

Good enough for me - thanks!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

nolen posted:

In this case, I think checking for "iPad1,1" would be OK.

The biggest thing is that you be future-device-proof. If you don't recognize the device, you should probably assume it's better than the iPad 2.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

lord funk posted:

S'up, audio programming comrade.

Has your synthesis sub-system got any self-monitoring metrics in it? My personal framework dynamically alters the polyphony (or, to be precise, starts stealing voices allocated to older sustained notes) when the render code gets dangerously close to supplying the next 256 samples late.

Thus it scales to the execution environment's capabilities without needing any device check and mostly avoids nasty drop outs even when running in the background or if the user is multi-tasking it with something that is greedy or spikey (e.g. notifications) with processor usage.

Of course, this may not be an applicable solution for you depending on exactly how you've structured your synth architecture.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know why Xcode4 Organizer would not show a device's console?

I have an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3. It's listed as a device in Apple's portal page, marked as development enabled, etc. The only thing I can think of that it MIGHT be is that it's jailbroken, but it's basically been jailbroken since forever and worked fine in Xcode3.

Device shows up green in organizer, I can get a lot of other info off it, take screenshots, etc. When I click on the Console button though, I get a blank screen. Very annoying.

edit: My Jailbroken iPad has no problem displaying console, so I'm not sure what it could be.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Do you have the iOS 3 SDK installed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I probably don't, it's a clean install from the App Store with no extra bells or whistles. I'm trolling around the developer portal and it doesn't look like SDK3 is available any more?

Honestly if I can't get console on it that's not really a huge problem as long as I can still debug and set 3.1.3 as a deployment target. I might set up a VM with 10.6 and an Xcode3 SDK3 installation (assuming I could find one) if I really get desperate I guess. Like I said, just annoying :(

I just threw it out on the developer forums too, maybe someone at Apple can advise. It's kind of weird that I'd be able to do stuff like take screenshots without SDK3 but console wouldn't be available.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 31, 2011

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ynohtna posted:

S'up, audio programming comrade.

Has your synthesis sub-system got any self-monitoring metrics in it?

No, I have a fixed number of voices (only 8) that render continuously, with a router that steals voices when the max is exceeded. I don't have an effective way to dynamically allocate voices, and even if I did, for this project I'd rather have the consistency to say 'You have X number of voices available,' even if the number is a bit lower for the iPad 1.

In other news, I'm so close to entering beta testing I can barely contain myself. drat the beginning of the school year!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I hear ya. 8 voices is a good choice for polyphonic synths as it allows 2 reasonable chords to be played in sequence without cutting off the release of the prior, and constantly rendering voices is great for free-running LFOs and similar timbral motion.

Good luck with the beta and subsequent review and release! Are you also supporting CoreMIDI?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ynohtna posted:

Good luck with the beta and subsequent review and release!

Thanks!

quote:

Are you also supporting CoreMIDI?

Nope, I'm rolling my own control system. I'll be showing it off as soon as I get it out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SeventySeven posted:

I've been slowly making my way through Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac but unfortunately I've hit a roadblock. In chapter 12 you're supposed to modify an app you built in an earlier chapter to include a preference window, however I cannot for the life of me get mine to show up, and there's no logging or errors to give me any indication of what's going wrong. As far as I can tell I've followed the book (as best as I can given the XCode 3 -> 4 differences) but I just can't figure it out.

In -showPreferencePanel:, you forgot
code:
[preferenceController showWindow:nil];
Guess what that does? :)