Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I just picked up Dawn of War II and its expansion.

No. You'll still end up with good stuff and max level even if you don't clean the maps completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Something for Fable 3 that I just realised:

You can repair all your properties at once from the main world map, you don't have to select each house individually and repair them that way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything to say about Avadon: The Black Fortress?
Particularly ways not to screw up character builds or valuable quests by loving up early on?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Going to be giving The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky another try on the PSP. It seems as though it takes a while to get good so I'll give it a shot. Anyways, as I understand, it's a really long game and I just want to know if there's anything I should know to prep for it.

Missable items/weapons/characters? Strategies for bosses, things I should do? Anything.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
I've tried to play The Sims 3 but the house keeps getting set on fire with Sims pooping and fighting everywhere please help :(

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Vita posted:

I've tried to play The Sims 3 but the house keeps getting set on fire with Sims pooping and fighting everywhere please help :(

For a lot of people I think that's the desired outcome

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vita posted:

Is the pooping causing the fire? Because I want to play your version.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vita posted:

Man, mine never set the oven on fire :( I set fire to an inventing bench once, but it's just not the same...

Anyways, to prevent cooking fires then either send the sims to cookery lessons, or buy a cookery skill book and have them read it. Having an expensive oven helps too.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Checked the wiki but there's nothing on either of these games for some reason. Any tips for Realms of Arkania or The Last Express? I'm mainly looking for RoA tips, it's a tough game to penetrate for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Vita posted:

If you aren't causing fires from cooking, try not putting flammable poo poo by your fireplace. You want at least 1 square on all sides of it with nothing but walls or flooring.

If you ARE causing fires from cooking, read the starter book you get until you hit level 3, and then cook stuff until you won't set the house on fire any more. Get a smoke detector. Try training in the handyman skill so you can learn the fireproof upgrade. Any of those should prevent fires.

Having a picked skill be the cooking one will also prevent fires.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

Checked the wiki but there's nothing on either of these games for some reason. Any tips for Realms of Arkania or The Last Express? I'm mainly looking for RoA tips, it's a tough game to penetrate for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I'd go with a prebuilt character or easy character generator because there are a lot of little things to custom character creation that overwhelm myself. After leaving the temple you want to stock up on goods including lanterns, oil, and blankets (there's a handy quick button for merchants). Explore the city afterward, it's smaller than it looks. You'll eventually get a story cue and you should head to a large black tower in the city (you'll know it when you see it) to get your first assignment and dungeon.

Try not to piss people off in taverns or shops. You'll be thrown out or get into fights. Stack your saves and experiment. It's been a long time since I played but once you get over the initial barrier the game becomes smoother.

As for TLE there's really not much I can say because it's a straightforward point and click. If you die you can retrace your steps. Getting the true ending is incredibly difficult so I'll say when you're invited to the piano recital you should leave as soon as it begins to find the egg (you'll know what I'm talking about). You'll also need the whistle from the kid (hint: he likes bugs).

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kruller posted:

If you aren't causing fires from cooking, try not putting flammable poo poo by your fireplace. You want at least 1 square on all sides of it with nothing but walls or flooring.

If you ARE causing fires from cooking, read the starter book you get until you hit level 3, and then cook stuff until you won't set the house on fire any more. Get a smoke detector. Try training in the handyman skill so you can learn the fireproof upgrade. Any of those should prevent fires.

Having a picked skill be the cooking one will also prevent fires.

And don't cancel cooking while there's stuff in the oven.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
Anybody have anything for Two Worlds 2?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pierzak posted:

Anything to say about Avadon: The Black Fortress?
Particularly ways not to screw up character builds or valuable quests by loving up early on?
As usual, you want to stick to one path for the best results... actually, that's not exactly correct. You can side with the guys who are against Redbeard fairly easily at any point. But if you want to side with Redbeard, you get the best results if you were constantly loyal to him up to that point. So stick to the loyal path until and unless you decide the other option is preferable.

As for builds, just don't spread yourself too thin. Getting several key skills up to 6 is preferable to get a bunch of skills up to 3.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Playing Mass Effect for the first time, anything I should look out for in particular?

The auto level up for Ashley always wants to put points into pistol, is there any reasons to put poo poo into pistol if you can also use assault rifles?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

Playing Mass Effect for the first time, anything I should look out for in particular?

The auto level up for Ashley always wants to put points into pistol, is there any reasons to put poo poo into pistol if you can also use assault rifles?

For the player pistols are pretty awesome but probably not for team members unless putting points into pistols is needed to unlock shotguns or whatever.

There's a sidequest on the moon that automatically comes up at some point and doing it unlocks a choice between two subclass options that each have a unique bonus to one of your skills or attributes. It can be pretty useful so something to do as soon as possible.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

For squadmates; not really no; Auto level should be disabled though.

- Go something other then soldier, Adapt, vanguard are great fun.
- Pistols have the highest DPS of any weapon once maxed out
- Don't buy guns until you get 1million credits, this unlocks SPECTRE weapons.
- The start of the game is slow but stick with it.
- Once you get SPECTRE status and get new plot missions save Noveria for after Therum and Feros.
- Biotics are very overpowered.
- You need 1 person with tech skills in your party (you, or one of the squadmates) to hack most things.
- Sideplanets are fun in small doses, but they can be skipped no problem.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Captain Beans posted:

There are various ways to break the game, and all of them are somewhat intended.

Tali, with points put into anything that increases shields, becomes the most durable party member. She's great to be your hacker, as well.

Wrex lives up to his name. He can become basically invincible, has Barrier, and can turn shotguns into mini rocket launchers with Carnage.

I don't like Kaidan but I guess he can do stuff.

Ashley is just a soldier, so all you're getting from her is shooting, and a damage sponge.

Garrus is also quite effective at combat, and can do tech stuff as well.

Solider as the player class is incredibly dull, most of the time, but it's worth it to use it until you get the assault rifle achievement, so you can use ARs on any class if you want to.

Any ability that is not targeted specifically on the caster, IE Barrier or Marksman, only needs to be learned on one party member. First Aid, Electronics, etc all only need one person to know them to have their effects benefit everyone else. To get the maximum effect, you only need the highest triangle marked point unlocked, with the exception of First Aid (unless it's triangle is the top one, I forget). Any hacking or decryption there is to do can be done by your party members. Electronics is good to take regardless, due to the shield boost.

Don't try to max everything, you won't be able to. You'll be able to max a LOT of stuff, though.

Your very first playthrough will cap at level 50, but it will unlock level 60 once you finish. It is effectively impossible to get level 60 without doing a new game + unless you are playing on PC and can fiddle with stuff.

The Rich achievement should be the first achievement you actively work towards. The benefits of it far outweigh the extremely minor differences in weapons you can get from the shop. Everything you need will drop for you eventually, and once you have the Rich achievement, you're going to spend most of that on SPECTRE weapons anyways.

Paragon isn't the good guy, and Renegade isn't the bad guy. You can build up both meters, but you won't be able to max both. You can either pick one and stick with it, or do whatever you want. Charm and Intimidate ranks are occasionally given to you by plot missions, and if you really, really want to hate yourself, you can play through the game 3 or 4 times and have both of those maxed by the game without you needing to spend a point in them. I like the game, but not THAT much.

At level 20 you're told to go to the moon. Go there and unlock your class specialization asap.

Bring Down the Sky is good DLC. Pinnacle Station is stupid, pointless DLC. On the PC, BDtS is free.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I am about an hour into Deus Ex HR and would love advice on recommend augs, weapons, and tactics.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

I am about an hour into Deus Ex HR and would love advice on recommend augs, weapons, and tactics.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I find you get enough Praxis points to play around to fit whatever you want to do. It's impossible to screw yourself over. All choices are rewarded as the game goes on. You start to solve problems through your skill choices. It's really well done.

With that said, I find Hacking to be completely useful through all aspects of the game no matter what your playstyle.

Also, this is too late for you, but if you're going for the no-kills achievement and you killed guys through the initial tutorial segment, you can't get it. I was annoyed big time when I found that out.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm a few hours into Mass Effect and I am realizing soldier is kind of dull, is there a save game editor so I can swap to vangaurd or something? I can only find editors for the second game.

Also can I buy more grenades or only find them? I wouldn't mind being a soldier if I can use them a bunch because they are fun as poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bo-Pepper posted:

With that said, I find Hacking to be completely useful through all aspects of the game no matter what your playstyle.

Seconded. You should bump it up to at least capture level 3, that will give you access to most of the computers in the game. I'd recommend 4 and 5 as well once you can spare the praxis points, but you want 3 at a minimum IMO.

Outside of leveling up capture, I found fortify to be the most useful hacking aug. Just remember to, you know, fortify your nodes.

And more hacking tips because why not: note that you're allowed to disconnect from a hack in progress without any serious consequences: no alarms, no cooldown before you're allowed to start hacking again or anything like that, all that happens is you lose one of your "attempts", which is way better than setting off an alarm or something. So if you find you're about to fail a hack, disconnect and try again as long as you have enough attempts.

The revolver has a weapon mod which gives it explosive ammo which makes it useful against bots, so I recommend hanging onto it and at least a little bit of ammo. Bots are tough to kill, in my opinion, and having the revolver as an emergency go-to is pretty invaluable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Outside of leveling up capture, I found fortify to be the most useful hacking aug. Just remember to, you know, fortify your nodes.

Inversely, I found fortify to be useless. If you hack a decent amount you'll be swimming in Stops and Nukes (items that assist you in hacking), and the time limits for hacking only get really short in the last quarter of the game or so. I used fortify a handful of times and regret the 2 points I put into it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Inversely, I found fortify to be useless. If you hack a decent amount you'll be swimming in Stops and Nukes (items that assist you in hacking), and the time limits for hacking only get really short in the last quarter of the game or so. I used fortify a handful of times and regret the 2 points I put into it.

I suppose that might be true, but my packrat tendency in video games meant I never used a nuke or stop if I could possibly avoid it, which meant lots of fortifying. I'm the kind of guy who would rather let a character get knocked out than use one of my 50 potions in final fantasy though, so I guess the consumables are another way to go.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

I'm a few hours into Mass Effect and I am realizing soldier is kind of dull, is there a save game editor so I can swap to vangaurd or something? I can only find editors for the second game.

Also can I buy more grenades or only find them? I wouldn't mind being a soldier if I can use them a bunch because they are fun as poo poo.

It seems there is only this one for ME2, though I could be wrong.
http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev25.zip

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

Nope. This disappointed me as well. I would have preferred a grenade shop a lot more to the grenade-powers in ME2.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Captain Beans posted:

Dunno about a save editor, so you might need to start over if it really bothers you that much.

Grenades can't be bought, you'll have to rely on drops / finding them (they can be re-stocked if you own the Pinnacle station DLC and have finished it though, but the DLC isn't really that great and arguably not worth buying if you don't own it already).

Aside from what other people have said;

- Always spend any talent points you have available on Charm / Intimidate. If you want to stick to one of the dispositions, just max that one out. Personally, I think exclusively sticking to either Paragon or Renegade is boring as hell and I like to play characters that use both skills (Charm and Intimidate) a lot, so I always max out both talents. This means I have less skill points available for other stuff, but it ensures I can always choose at least one option (depending on which skill I can max out higher) in dialogues and I found this to be a very interesting way to roll.

- Teammates that use sniper rifles and shotguns can be surprisingly effective if you equip said guns with High Explosive Rounds.

- The first three storyline planets you get are Feros, Therum and Noveria (as Zedd already mentioned, you might want to do Noveria last). Eventually you'll get a fourth storyline planet - make sure to complete the three mentioned above before you do that one.

- Talk to your squadmates back on the Normandy between missions. Eventually, some of them will ask you to go on a sidequest with them -- do these sidequests (at least Wrex's, and do that before you head off to the fourth storyline planet).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you are gonna play more than once don't put any points into Charm / Intimidate because you get some free every playthough and you are wasting your points.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Any tips for Pathologic? It doesn't look like the translation project is going to be finished anytime soon and I've been wanting to give it a try. The wiki says I need to complete every daily task to avoid screwing myself over, but that's the only advice on there and the manual is incomprehensible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Fortify works best the more directories you capture. The trace goes through all directories in its path so fortify is at its best when you have multiple directories captured even if they're not in the direct path to your goal. I never upgraded the thing but fortifying every node after capturing it would add about +6 seconds on average towards the end (provided the trace hadn't reached it yet).

You will end up with more nuke/stop programs than you know what to do with by the end of the first Hengsha visit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Unbalanced posted:

Any tips for Pathologic? It doesn't look like the translation project is going to be finished anytime soon and I've been wanting to give it a try. The wiki says I need to complete every daily task to avoid screwing myself over, but that's the only advice on there and the manual is incomprehensible.
Spend all your money on day 1 buying food, sell most of it on day 2. Start your playthrough with the Bachelor - he's the intended first playthrough character, and the game is hard enough even with him.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bo-Pepper posted:

Also, this is too late for you, but if you're going for the no-kills achievement and you killed guys through the initial tutorial segment, you can't get it. I was annoyed big time when I found that out.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edit: Now that the tantrum is over, some more Human Revolution tips:

The Icarus upgrade is sick-nasty and will allow you to jump a railing if you need to avoid being seen/get out of trouble. Plus, if you land near enemies and have the fire button held down while falling, you'll do a sweet stun move on them.

An upgrade that complements the Icarus is that one that increases your jump height. Pretty early in the game, you will be sent to an area with a more vertical layout. Being able to jump nine feet in the air is pretty helpful there.

As previous posters have said, don't hoard your PRAXIS--you'll be swimming in points soon enough.

The social-enhancer upgrade is useful as hell. Well worth the points.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 2, 2011

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The initial tutorial section being that part where you have a gun and run through Sarif Industries or the warehouse where tutorial messages still pop up? I can't see how you'd get through the attack at the start without killing dudes?

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

thebardyspoon posted:

The initial tutorial section being that part where you have a gun and run through Sarif Industries or the warehouse where tutorial messages still pop up? I can't see how you'd get through the attack at the start without killing dudes?

Sneaking around is the way to do it. That might be easier said than done but it's definitely a solution here.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

deepshock posted:

Sneaking around is the way to do it. That might be easier said than done but it's definitely a solution here.

I did it with the sprint button and lots of reloads.

I try to go for less lethal playthroughs in Deus Ex games. I was very disappointed that you didn't start with a nonleathal weapon.

Anyway, the attackers don't follow you super long, so if you are lucky about it, you can sneak a bit, then run toward a door and hope you make it.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

CCKeane posted:

I try to go for less lethal playthroughs in Deus Ex games. I was very disappointed that you didn't start with a nonleathal weapon.
But you do? Serif asks you at the beginning of the first "real" mission if you want to go non-lethal and then gives you a non-lethal weapon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The intro/raid on Sarif/before you get augmented also counts for the achievement and in that you only get a gun.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Deus ex: Human Revolution:

1) Don't be afraid to use your nukes and Stop! worms. they really pile up in the latter half of the game. I'd been hoarding them and I blew through every hackable in the last level with some to spare.

2) Same for ammo- Ammo is scarce, but not that scarce. If you're using a pistol, like I did, through the game, you might struggle because 10mm ammo is quite rare in later missions. (as everyone has fancycool guns) everything else, there's ammo all the way through the game.

3) Bosses. Everyone complains about the bosses but they're easy- here's a tactic that doesn't rely on chucking barrels, it worked for every boss.
You need:
Revolver with explosive ammo
EMP protection aug (dermal armor slot).
Smart Vision Aug

EMP protection makes you immune to all electrical damage, and kicks the poo poo out of 3 bosses whose gimmicks is close range EMP attacks, and the last boss, which has large sections of electrified floor. Get this aug!

As for the revolver, it smashes bosses up. 14 shots beat all of the bosses for me. Tactically you just want to backpedal away from them and blat them.

Smart vision is only really neccesary for 2 bosses, the second and the thrid, but is very very useful. The second boss cloaks, but can be seen, through walls, with this aug. The third boss hides, but again, can be seen through walls.

With just those 3 things you will beat any boss in sub 2 mins. I don't get why everyone has a bad time with them.

4) bunch of guys in a room, playing pacifist? shoot the wall with your pistol to lure them out one at a time and knock them out. simple, but I didn't think of it until like halfway through the game.

meme fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 2, 2011

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

meme posted:

Deus ex: Human Revolution:

5) dont sprint it's worthless, run diagonally for more speed than sprinting. it's a bug and a gimmick but it owns.

All good tips but they fixed this in the first patch. I was angry about it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

meme posted:

5) dont sprint it's worthless, run diagonally for more speed than sprinting. it's a bug and a gimmick but it owns.
They fixed it already.