Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Am I correct in assuming that iPhones from the Apple Store will have 4.3.5 loaded on them by default since it's been out a few weeks now? My home button only works half the time and only having a tethered jb will be annoying...

I can't comment on the retail units but I work at the Genius Bar on iOS devices and the last few phones I gave out have had 4.3.3. This is very YMMV, though, every store will be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

AlphaDog posted:

Now, apart from sbSettings (which is pretty nice), I really can't figure out what to do with the jailbroken phone.
Granted my experience is likely a highly limited use-case, but Activator is a godsend for me. I'm active-duty Army, and we're not allowed to walk around/work wearing headphones, not even in a single-ear (and for good reason).

Activator let's me put my device in my chest or shoulder pocket and listen to podcasts, Howard Stern, what-have-you via built in speaker. If a supervisor pops up at the worksite or I pass too close to a likely hard-rear end walking around post I can kill the audio with a quick pinch through the uniform (I personally set 'press both volume buttons' to trigger 'toggle play/pause' from any app on the device).

This is actually better than headphones for me (for vocal stuff, not so much music) because I'm not oblivious to what's going on around me and mutually-interested parties can enjoy the content (please don't call the FBI on me for public-performance violations).

Jailbreaking--specifically Activator--makes this possible, and is the reason I don't upgrade to new iOS versions before they are JBed.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
iOS 4.3.3
Baseband 1.59.00
pwnagetool jailbreak
Activated with legit (though not active) AT&T SIM Card
Unlocked via ultrasn0w, not using AT&T

I want to restore and rejailbreak my phone for various reasons and I was wondering, if I DIDN'T stick in the AT&T SIM card to activate my phone, is it even possible for me to jailbreak via jbme.com or will I be forever stuck at the activation screen?

The good thing about activating using my old AT&T SIM card is that apparently hactivated phones don't get push notifications? The bad part is that FaceTime doesn't work, can't edit my APN settings, and options>phone shows "AT&T services" which I don't need/can't use. I don't have any bar issues with ultrasn0w like people complain about though.

e: actually now that I think about it, is it even possible to keep my baseband from updating without using pwnage tools?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 30, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Am I correct in assuming that iPhones from the Apple Store will have 4.3.5 loaded on them by default since it's been out a few weeks now? My home button only works half the time and only having a tethered jb will be annoying...

I learned to stop taking my iPhone to Apple. I've ordered parts off eBay several times to fix and re-build my 3GS.

If someone ever pulls open my iPhone they will be greeted with writing on the logicboard inside (the hard-to-get-to side). I "tagged" it so they know it's mine.

I've had my iPhone pulled apart into a few dozen pieces. It's been the same logicboard since iOS 3.x days, but other stuff is new. New battery, new screen, new LCD, new Home button, etc. I figure replacing stuff myself is a _LOT_ easier than dealing with getting a new phone, losing all my SHSH backups, my jailbreak, losing my WiFi tethering, etc.
Since I have a 3GS, jailbreaking is the *only* way I can share the connection via WiFi. You have no idea how great this can be if you're out traveling. Once I get an iPhone 5 (and can get the luxury of paying for WiFi tethering), jailbreaking will be less important.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going to take my phone in ASAP and hope I get a 4.3.3 replacement. If not, it's not a terribly huge deal. I'm sure the dev teams are already looking into untethered exploits for 5.0.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Xenomorph posted:

I learned to stop taking my iPhone to Apple. I've ordered parts off eBay several times to fix and re-build my 3GS.

What's the diagnosis on a 3GS that can only get EDGE/2G reception? As soon as it switches to 3G, it drops all bars, etc. and cannot get any signal whatsoever. That'd be the logic board, wouldn't it? :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

What's the diagnosis on a 3GS that can only get EDGE/2G reception? As soon as it switches to 3G, it drops all bars, etc. and cannot get any signal whatsoever. That'd be the logic board, wouldn't it? :(

is it an old sim card?

you'd have to check a teardown but the same IC is probably responsible for edge and 3G. maybe an antenna became disconnected somehow

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

mewse posted:

is it an old sim card?

you'd have to check a teardown but the same IC is probably responsible for edge and 3G. maybe an antenna became disconnected somehow

Swapped my old (compeltely fine for 1.5 years) sim card for a new one, no dice. It happens in compeltely different cities 1000km apart too so it's the phone.

The antenna disconnected is a reasonable idea and what I've heard elsewhere agrees with you saying it's 1 IC controlling both. As soon as the iPhone5 hits and I get one, I might do a teardown and see if I can resurrect it though by that point it's old tech.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there any jailbreak software that exists that will make a copy (or even better sync) a directory on the jailbroken iPhone with some external source? I'm trying to get some sort of automated backup of files that I will be editing frequently right on the iPhone connected to my PC at work. My work has blocked Dropbox, Evernote, and the final crushing blow was Amazon cloud. All I want to do is maintain a personal budget spreadsheet that I can access anywhere! So I have iPhone explorer installed, plug in my iPhone and are saving the excel files in /Root/User/Documents. Thing is, I want to be able to have that directory automatically copied/emailed/synced somewhere in the event that my iPhone gets lost/stolen/broken.

Oh, USB drives are forced into read-only mode... quite paranoid about data leakage here.

Any ideas or creative solutions?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I suppose google docs is out of the question?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

I suppose google docs is out of the question?

Unless you mean that there is a service that can sync the files in the iPhone directory with Google docs, yeah, it's out. Any possible site that can you can upload files to is taken out. (unless there is some non-obvious site that is secure that can also store files...)

Looking for some service that can regularly copy/sync/email whatever is in a directory on the local iPhone OFF the iPhone.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

TraderStav posted:

Unless you mean that there is a service that can sync the files in the iPhone directory with Google docs, yeah, it's out. Any possible site that can you can upload files to is taken out. (unless there is some non-obvious site that is secure that can also store files...)

Looking for some service that can regularly copy/sync/email whatever is in a directory on the local iPhone OFF the iPhone.

I meant why not just create the document itself in google docs and edit it from your phone's browser. In this case there should be no reason to need to upload or copy anything unless your phone doesn't have a data connection while at work, and then you could potentially just use your work PC's browser.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

I meant why not just create the document itself in google docs and edit it from your phone's browser. In this case there should be no reason to need to upload or copy anything unless your phone doesn't have a data connection while at work, and then you could potentially just use your work PC's browser.

Oh, ok. Well, Docs is blocked, naturally. It's a pretty complex sheet (VBA/etc), and being an excel junkie I'd much prefer to do all of the work at a desktop rather than on my iPhone. I may be being difficult, but it's what makes me so freaking efficient!

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Nm.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

What baseband & iOS version?

I'm not positive, but if your iOS and baseband versions are far apart is may cause trouble (like you've never updated your baseband, ever, and you're running iOS 4.3.3, or you've had the latest baseband installed, and you've downgraded back to iOS 4.1).
It may not be that - have you done a full Restore to see if it still acts up?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Arrowsmith posted:

Granted my experience is likely a highly limited use-case, but Activator is a godsend for me.

I have a similar hotkey to activate the camera without unlocking the phone - weird poo poo doesn't always last long enough for a photo otherwise.

What I'd really like is to be able to hotkey the brightness settings. Just to toggle it from min to max without navigating the settings every time. Activator doesn't appear to be able to do this - any ideas?

E: I found an activator action in Cydia that lets you do sort of this, but the only options it adds are "up by $amount" and "down by $amount", so I can get it to min/max pretty easily, but there's no easy way to get it back to my default setting (about 30%) - which I forgot to include in the pre-edit post. Derp.

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 1, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Javid posted:

I have a similar hotkey to activate the camera without unlocking the phone - weird poo poo doesn't always last long enough for a photo otherwise.

What I'd really like is to be able to hotkey the brightness settings. Just to toggle it from min to max without navigating the settings every time. Activator doesn't appear to be able to do this - any ideas?

E: I found an activator action in Cydia that lets you do sort of this, but the only options it adds are "up by $amount" and "down by $amount", so I can get it to min/max pretty easily, but there's no easy way to get it back to my default setting (about 30%) - which I forgot to include in the pre-edit post. Derp.

If you don't mind paying a buck, App Switcher Brightness in Cydia is pretty good. It places brightness and volume sliders in the app switcher; you just swipe past the iPod controls:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

If you don't mind paying a buck, App Switcher Brightness in Cydia is pretty good. It places brightness and volume sliders in the app switcher; you just swipe past the iPod controls:

Just installed this and it works really well. I'd also highly recommend using SBSettigns to do this as it can be a little quicker. Regardless... good find.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Javid posted:

Maybe shoot the Activator people a line about assigning more than one sequential action per trigger? Or are we starting to get into potential iAutomator territory here (which would be awesome, if I knew how to use the drat thing :unsmith:)?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

airspiritx posted:

I can't comment on the retail units but I work at the Genius Bar on iOS devices and the last few phones I gave out have had 4.3.3. This is very YMMV, though, every store will be different.

Just replaced my phone on 8/29 and it had 4.3.3 on it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I found pretty much what I needed for free. It's just called Backlight dimmer, but it's a button in SBSettings that toggles between 80% and 20% brightness.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I am just having an AWFUL time trying to go from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3. I have every single SHSH backed up from every firmware from 4.0 up till now but every time I go through the restore motions it gives me the 1013 error. I've been in my host file and I have the correct GS's blocked. I've tried unblocking them, I've tried running the TSS server, I've tried everything I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas?

edit: Ok, nevermind. Thank the Lord almighty I fooled around with everything until it decided to work.

Xenomorph posted:

Due to some strange hack weirdness (maybe with baseband versions being different), you may need to load a pre-patched/hacked IPSW.

With 4.1, I can just use Apple's untouched IPSW.
With 4.2.1, I'd get errors and end up stuck in recovery. I ended up using sn0wbreeze to build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW, and that installed fine.

Try building a 4.3.3 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.
It actually WAS the baseband surprisingly. I had never encountered such an issue

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone got any ideas?

Due to some strange hack weirdness (maybe with baseband versions being different), you may need to load a pre-patched/hacked IPSW.

With 4.1, I can just use Apple's untouched IPSW.
With 4.2.1, I'd get errors and end up stuck in recovery. I ended up using sn0wbreeze to build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW, and that installed fine.

Try building a 4.3.3 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I have Iphone4 with 4.3.5
I can do a tethered jailbreak but do I need to save my SHSH and what happens if I do not?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ridonkulous posted:

I have Iphone4 with 4.3.5
I can do a tethered jailbreak but do I need to save my SHSH and what happens if I do not?

SHSH is used for downgrading your device (and isn't necessarily related to jailbreaking).

If you do not back up your SHSH for the current version of iOS, you will simply not be able to install that specific version of iOS once Apple stops approving it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dam, just picked up a new ipad 2 last night and it's already got 4.3.5 on it. Nothing I can do jailbreak wise huh :(

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

SHSH is used for downgrading your device (and isn't necessarily related to jailbreaking).

If you do not back up your SHSH for the current version of iOS, you will simply not be able to install that specific version of iOS once Apple stops approving it.

so once they release an upgrade to 4.3.5 then I wont be able to re-install 4.3.5?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mattfl posted:

Dam, just picked up a new ipad 2 last night and it's already got 4.3.5 on it. Nothing I can do jailbreak wise huh :(

Nope, but don't feel too bad. From what I've experienced on mine it's pretty unstable. I don't have very much installed and I frequently run into low memory issues. Closing background tasks is tedious because often times there is a 5-10 second delay after clicking the little red circle icon.

I honestly had a better experience on iOS 5 betas 2-4.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Nope, but don't feel too bad. From what I've experienced on mine it's pretty unstable. I don't have very much installed and I frequently run into low memory issues. Closing background tasks is tedious because often times there is a 5-10 second delay after clicking the little red circle icon.

Ya, I've still got my ipad 1 here and it's been jailbroken forever and it's not horrible. Having a fresh new ipad2 though, wow what a difference between the 2!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shmoogy posted:

On an iPad 2?! Really? I've had mine jailbroke since you could jailbreak and don't have a single problem with low memory.

My 3GS on the other hand.....what a POS.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

Iphone 4 on 4.3.5 using redsn0w for a tethered jailbreak using the 4.3.3 IPSW and it puts a Cydia icon on my iphone that wont launch. Is it just a matter of doing over and over til it works or am I doing something wrong?

Also updated Itunes to 10.4.1.10 and now it keep putting the top part of Itunes into my start bar on windows (top of screen start bar)? Not jailbreak question but is anyone else having this problem.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just swapped my phone at an Apple Store and got 4.3.5 :(

Oh well, tethered shouldn't be too terrible, and 5.0 shouldn't be too far away...

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 3, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

EC posted:

On an iPad 2?! Really? I've had mine jailbroke since you could jailbreak and don't have a single problem with low memory.

My 3GS on the other hand.....what a POS.

Yeah, there is something causing me lots of lag and potentially a memory leak or something. I went back to retail w/o being jailbroken due to it being infuriating. Probably going to go back to 5.0 since it's relatively stable now a days.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I want to get a sweet emulator on my ipad, but there are at least two that I remember trying out in the past. I remember one came out recently, which seemed to be the best but I have forgotten what it was.

What are the best emulators out there (sega, nintendo, whatever)

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Ziir posted:

WifiSMS looks awesome if I actually texted people, and if I didn't use GV. Is there a good site to follow for really cool jailbroken apps/tweaks like this one?

If you use GV, buy (or at least try) the SMS GV extension. Lets you text via GV natively from any SMS app using your data plan.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Ezrem posted:

If you use GV, buy (or at least try) the SMS GV extension. Lets you text via GV natively from any SMS app using your data plan.
So, so worth the money. There's a Phone GV extension by the same dude that does the same thing, but with calls.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My iPhone is currently jailbroken on 4.3.3 and I'm trying to drag and drop music from my itunes library onto my iphone and it won't let me. I click on "manually manage music and videos" tab and hit apply and then it tells me that my iphone is synched with another library and that I need to erase my old data and then re-sync with the new library contents. Is there a way around this without having to backup and restore?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

I want to get a sweet emulator on my ipad, but there are at least two that I remember trying out in the past. I remember one came out recently, which seemed to be the best but I have forgotten what it was.

What are the best emulators out there (sega, nintendo, whatever)
Anything by Robert Broglia (or however you spell his name). His snes emulator is free (Snes9x). All the .emu emulators are by him.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ezrem posted:

I checked it out before but unless they added a way to switch between texting via GV and my phone plan then I can't use it (I'm using a foreign SIM card/plan, but still text some people in America with the GV app).

e: Looks like there is a toggle now but it's still more or less useless to me since I don't live in the US. Using the official GV app gives me the same thing.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Okay, I'm kind of out of the loop, but I have an old, jailbroken (on 4.2 era firmware) iPhone I want to clean up and sell.

Problem: When I switch it on, it seems stuck in recovery mode (iTunes and cable logo). I can't seem to put it in DFU; I still had TinyUmbrella knocking about and that identifies it fine, but "Exit recovery" works only to the extent the phone reboots and hey presto! Back where I started.

iTunes I doubt will be any help; it refuses to restore (even with a firmware I downloaded) with "An unknown error occured (21)".

This is iTunes 10; should I bother updating it, can anybody recommend any next steps?

I ideally want to end up with the phone in a saleable condition, which it isn't right now. Factory settings would rock.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 8, 2011

• Locked thread