Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

casual poster posted:

I was thinking it'd be more like a hint based system, kind of like the messages in Demons Souls. Like you send out a WiFi SOS and someone sends make a message listed from a long list of messages. Like, "use darkness on this floor" or something to that effect.
What hints could you possibly drop in Persona 4? It doesn't have a terribly deep or difficult combat system, and the dungeons are almost entirely identical. There'd be one massively highly rated message outside the first dungeon: "Use the three buffs and debuffs and you'll basically win by default." After that, nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Mumblyfish posted:

What hints could you possibly drop in Persona 4? It doesn't have a terribly deep or difficult combat system, and the dungeons are almost entirely identical. There'd be one massively highly rated message outside the first dungeon: "Use the three buffs and debuffs and you'll basically win by default." After that, nothing.

No idea to tell you the truth. Never played P4, but in P3 each section of the dungeon usually had demons of the same 2-3 classes, so I'd just fuse a persona with their weaknesses and use them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Famitsu, P4 Golden

Fighting game

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 31, 2011

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Rinkles posted:

Famitsu

holy shite :fap:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I hope so badly that Teddie's pimp cane is a secret gun.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Wow, the fighting game really does look like the game I never knew I wanted. It looks so freaking cool. :swoon:

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Goddamn, that fighting game is beautiful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ha, the fighting game takes place 2 months after the events of P4, not years.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
Oh god, when they said extra animated scenes they meant stuff like bathing cutscenes?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Aquans posted:

Oh god, when they said extra animated scenes they meant stuff like bathing cutscenes?

P3P had the Ken romance, P4G has Bathtime Nanako. I think they have a Creepiness Quota or something.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

If Teddie doesn't get this outfit in P4 Golden then I will be very, very dissapointed :colbert:.

Any more information about that Marie/Mary character yet? She a party member or just some random person?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rinkles posted:

Of for gently caress's sake.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Rinkles posted:

New insane theory now that I got a closer look: Mary is Metis in clever disguise.

What the christ, why not.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Where's the confirmation of no female MC? probably won't be buying it if that's the case :(

3upMoon
Nov 29, 2007
Yep.
Supposedly an element fans most requested but still to be detailed is included. I hope it is an addition of a female MC.

Snot Man posted:

New insane theory now that I got a closer look: Mary is Metis in clever disguise.

What the christ, why not.

I get the impression she's Velvet Room related. Her bag and hat design seem to point towards that. That circle emblem on her bag is similar to what Margaret etc wear and that V pin on her hat might be an indicator too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
MUST ANIMATE WACKY SPA HI-JINKS.

Sadly saw that one coming.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The surprise plot twist is that Marie is actually the protagonist from P5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

MUST ANIMATE WACKY SPA HI-JINKS.

Sadly saw that one coming.
I don't understand how they made it through the original version without doing that.

Also those screenshots look sweet as hell. It looks like P4P got a significant graphics upgrade.

edit: the Famitsu thing says about Marie that she "looks younger than the other characters", how the hell are we supposed to tell? She sure looks like generic anime teenager age to me, same as the rest of them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

Where's the confirmation of no female MC? probably won't be buying it if that's the case :(

I think the confirmation is them not saying there is one by now. I mean, it's not impossible that they're playing it close till a later announcement but with all the stuff they're adding in dialogue and cutscene-wise already a decent portion of it would have to be re-done for a female character.

edit: Wacky spa hijinks anime cutscene is a good example of this

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how they are using the starter personas for the fighting game. They always seemed to look better than the upgraded ones.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TurnipFritter posted:

The surprise plot twist is that Marie is actually the protagonist from P5.

Nah, it'll probably be like Vincent in P3P and Marie will turn out to be the heroine in the brand new erotic puzzle horror game for WiiU "Johnathan"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

One of the new, highly requested features had better be a cutscene skip function.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

3upMoon posted:

I get the impression she's Velvet Room related. Her bag and hat design seem to point towards that. That circle emblem on her bag is similar to what Margaret etc wear and that V pin on her hat might be an indicator too.

I get that impression too, hence my first theory of it being Elizabeth. After the fight with Margaret, you find out she's left the Velvet Room to go look for a way to save Minato, and the light novels apparently say that she teamed up with Aigis to do so. I could imagine her just coincidentally winding up in a shithole like Inaba with all the weird stuff going on.

Now I'm placing bets on the Metis theory, though. The end of The Answer has her chilling in the Velvet Room and saying that she belongs to the "other side". She was supposed to have been reabsorbed into Aigis, being her Shadow and all, but I wouldn't put it past Atlus to retcon her into just still existing as a new Velvet Room attendant and/or joining Elizabeth and Aigis' fan-favorite A-Team.

Either way, since the game was so full of obvious Jesus parallels, I can't imagine that someone called "Mary" would have no ties to Persona 3. ...But of course, we barely know anything about Mary, and if they're going to go with the bullshit fanwank route, I'd prefer if they just went completely nuts and tied her to Maki/Mary from Persona 1 and 2.

Okay I think I can turn the :spergin: switch off now.

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

If Adachi doesn't show up in the fighting game I will be extremely dissapointed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If I play through 4 again on the Vita, will it change much that I know who the murderer is, I wonder?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I play through 4 again on the Vita, will it change much that I know who the murderer is, I wonder?

Probably not much at all, they spend 90% of the game on a wild goose chase and it's not really apparent.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wow! Thank you for the high quality screenshots, Rinkles.

YES! My suspicions were correct and this was a screenshot of an added Halloween event at Junes! And oh man, is that the MC dressed up, too?

You know, something about Marie's design just bugs me. I know it's too early to tell, but she just looks like a Mary Sue character inserted into the game. Her design is doesn't really fit the rest of the aesthetic of the Persona 4 characters.

Chie in a fighting Chinese waitress dress (?) is the extra I didn't know I always wanted.

Getting more excited for this game. :ohdear:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Catalina posted:

You know, something about Marie's design just bugs me. I know it's too early to tell, but she just looks like a Mary Sue character inserted into the game. Her design is doesn't really fit the rest of the aesthetic of the Persona 4 characters.

(blatantly stolen from a Japanese game blog)

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Catalina posted:

Yeah, really thinking this is intentional now after seeing the clear screenshot of her. There is no way she isn't linked to the Velvet room with that "V" button on her hat.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Siliconera is reporting that according to a Famitsu interview, Katsura Hashino says the fan requested feature is NOT a female protagonist:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/persona-4-the-golden-was-originally-planned-for-psp/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The fan requested feature is probably playing Teddy without his bear suit on, probably with a option use his Alice outfit.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The only other thing I could think of it being then is being able to date Kanji or something.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Yeah, really thinking this is intentional now after seeing the clear screenshot of her. There is no way she isn't linked to the Velvet room with that "V" button on her hat.

Yeah. That's what's keeping me from hating her outright right, haha. Since the Velvet Room attendants are supposed to look ridiculous and out of place. She's still setting off my Mary Sue Insert alarm, though.

My dream fan requested feature would be to cut out just about all the scenes with Hanako.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I really hope that they add a way to chose what abilities you want to inherit while fusing, instead of just backing out a billion times until you get what you want, but I doubt it will happen.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Didn't they add some random girl to the Innocent Sin remake who gave out sidequests? Maybe she does that as well as Margret.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Dalkalopagus posted:

I really hope that they add a way to chose what abilities you want to inherit while fusing, instead of just backing out a billion times until you get what you want, but I doubt it will happen.

I think this is what they're doing, the one screenshot showing the fusion menu showed the persona being fused with 2 blank skills instead of 2 named skills, so I can only hope this means they learned we all loved Devil Survivor's fusion method.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think this is what they're doing, the one screenshot showing the fusion menu showed the persona being fused with 2 blank skills instead of 2 named skills, so I can only hope this means they learned we all loved Devil Survivor's fusion method.

If that was the case, I would definitely do my replay of Persona 4 on the P4G Vita instead of my PS2 version. I still have to get the true ending, and do the non party member and family social links...

3upMoon
Nov 29, 2007
Yep.

Catalina posted:

Siliconera is reporting that according to a Famitsu interview, Katsura Hashino says the fan requested feature is NOT a female protagonist:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/persona-4-the-golden-was-originally-planned-for-psp/

...Welp, that hope's gone. Make up for it by letting the player date any gender please.

Mary/Mari just looks...too "all over the place" in comparison to how streamlined the other character designs have been. It looks a little too obvious with trying to up the school girl fetish elements.

Snot Man posted:

Either way, since the game was so full of obvious Jesus parallels, I can't imagine that someone called "Mary" would have no ties to Persona 3. ...But of course, we barely know anything about Mary, and if they're going to go with the bullshit fanwank route, I'd prefer if they just went completely nuts and tied her to Maki/Mary from Persona 1 and 2.

Okay I think I can turn the :spergin: switch off now.

Considering how some are describing her design... maybe "Mary" is actually referring to "Mary Sue" :O

With this release though, I am glad I held off on playing through P4.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

I didn't even realize how much this would improve the game until you mentioned it. What's the point of semi-randomly assigning skills anyway, other than "That's how we did it in Nocturne/P3". All it meant was wasting ten minutes hitting X and Circle until they came up anyway.

Edit: "gently caress YOU PULINPA GO AWAY"

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
I wonder if Marie will have some connection to the fighting game? Like Vincent in P3P, but with a larger role.

Holy Cow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2011