Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Aside from Aegis, do you think any other Persona 3 characters are going to make the cut for the last few select screen slots? My heart says Junpei, but for variety I'd bet on Koromaru.

e: gently caress it, Igor needs to be in there. Dude's put his time in for the Persona series, now he should get to whoop some rear end.

Something to keep in mind is that we're just looking at preliminary shots. The cast size itself could increase over time as they develop it.

The game apparently only has a cast of 10, which is really low for a fighting game. The first BlazBlue only had 13 characters to choose from and it had the detriment of being an entirely new IP with characters to make, but this is a franchise with dozens of characters to choose from.

The plus side is even if it stays at 10 characters, fighting games are developing a habit of introducing new characters through DLC or as added bonuses on console releases. Arc System Works, the people making this game, are especially infamous for doing this. So there's still hope even if your preferred character doesn't make it in.

Personally, I'm rooting for Shinjiro. He'd totally fit into Arc's "slow but powerful blade user" archetype (see: Hakumen [BlazBlue])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

I'm not exactly keen on the series dipping into previous incarnations for guest spots, but is Aigis generally reviled or something? I mean, she's about as "anime" as the series has allowed itself to get, but I still found her to have a decent story arc and character development.

I can't see how she would have any relevance at all to the plot. If they do shoehorn her in it will only come off as a pathetic attempt at yet more fanservice, aimed towards the creepiest fans once again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, isn't the fighting game supposed to be within Persona canon? Since the Persona team is working very closely with ArcSys, I don't see Shinjiro making it into the game.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was stuck by how she has a normal voice in the Japanese version but a somewhat robotic one in the English. I wonder why they made that decision?

Sanders, I think I may have responded to this very comment of yours back when the game was released in the US, but I'll be happy to do so again ;)

One of the things that actually saved her from being completely stereo-typical was that she begins the game as a complete monotone, robotic voice, but as the story develops, so does the inflection and emotion she displays in her voice work. It's actually very subtly done throughout the end half of the game, but comes to a head when she is on the verge of tears when the main character is lying in her arms .
It was one of those small touches that isn't outright mentioned by anything in the game, but one that the player starts to notice as things progress with her.

Mind you, I "may" be thinking of the extra FES social-link content, but I seem to recall it being in the main game as well.

ImpAtom posted:

Shinjiro can survive in the female MC version of Persona 3 PSP. That's pretty much all the excuse they would need if they make any references to the P3 main character gender-neutral.

I'm going to go buy the PSP version of Persona immediately. Holy poo poo, I had no idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baalster posted:

Also, isn't the fighting game supposed to be within Persona canon? Since the Persona team is working very closely with ArcSys, I don't see Shinjiro making it into the game.

Shinjiro can survive in the female MC version of Persona 3 PSP. That's pretty much all the excuse they would need if they make any references to the P3 main character gender-neutral.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Baalster posted:

Usually these sort of games aren't actually canon, like so far I think all they've said is that in a timeline it happens 2 months after P4 but I don't think they've said "Oh yeah this is totally a thing, Aigis meets the P4 MC and he shoots a hadoken at her" yet.

I really hope they don't either.

Furthermore, in my world he's still cool and alive and cooking for SEES and being a cool cooking dude because Minata was a really good person and helped him with his S-Link so THERE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

But he's also still doomed to death because of the drugs. So unless those drugs take forever to kill someone then he's probably already either dead or on the verge of death.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Aside from Aegis, do you think any other Persona 3 characters are going to make the cut for the last few select screen slots? My heart says Junpei, but for variety I'd bet on Koromaru.

If Koromaru's in, this game's a guaranteed purchase for me.

I expect Ken is the most likely of the SEES members to be excluded, since he wouldn't look exactly the same after two years. Then again, they aren't reusing any art, so who knows.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

It's funny how I just started another play-through of P4 (after about 1 1/2 years), and then all this news comes out. Hopefully, I'll have it beat by the time the remake comes out (and be able to buy a Vista). The fighting game also looks pretty cool, so I might end up grabbing it at well (and that picture of "T. Bison" is hilarious).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was stuck by how she has a normal voice in the Japanese version but a somewhat robotic one in the English. I wonder why they made that decision?

How would you propose they make her sound ultra-formal without the English equivalent of 'de arimasu' at the end of every sentence?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Maybe make her sound like some prim and proper English maid?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

Maybe make her sound like some prim and proper English maid?

She's already gross and fetishy enough, thank you very much.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FES had almost an additional game and P3P had the second gender route. I hope this game has something to entice people to come back and play again since I think most fans have either played through the game multiple times or at least watched the Endurance Run and I'm not sure a few tweaks and animated cutscenes are worth another game purchase.

In regards to Aigis I ended up liking her a lot more than I thought I would but I still wouldn't want her jammed into this game. If the fan requested feature isn't another story route then I hope it's something like Devil Survivor's "choose your abilities when fusing" system since the random based one is an irritating time sink.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Devil Survivor's system is that the time it takes to break the game is identical to the time it takes you to get Holy Dance or Drain with the fusion system. I wouldn't mind if they kept it but increased the limitations on what you can carry over so every single demon didn't end up with the same identical movelist of Awesome Moves. Even if you didn't have something like Holy Dance it still would be a very limited selection.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, the "in" thing for PS2/3 to Vita ports these days is to have "additional chapters" or bonus Vita exclusive story content to set it apart from its original version. They've already said and shown "new event content" so that sort of lends itself to that.

I'm willing to bet that Atlus will probably have some kind of "The Answer" for Persona 4 Golden.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a system where certain spells are worth more points and you can only transfer a certain amount of poinst worth of spells. Also the same limitations of certain spell transfers would be the same. I'm just wanting to cut out the "did I get the spells I know I can get? Nope, ok cancel, cancel, cancel, reselect, nope, cancel, cancel, etc..."

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Well, the "in" thing for PS2/3 to Vita ports these days is to have "additional chapters" or bonus Vita exclusive story content to set it apart from its original version. They've already said and shown "new event content" so that sort of lends itself to that.

I'm willing to bet that Atlus will probably have some kind of "The Answer" for Persona 4 Golden.

I really hope not. How much more of the story could they cover? Oh yeah, so Marie was behind Izanami was behind Ameno-Sagiri was behind Adachi! More amazing plot twists!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I did kind of find it amusing that when you beat Izanami you know FOR SURE that you got the mastermind when you thought you did this three times before and each time someone else was higher up the chain but this time it's 100% the right one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Persona 4 story proves that the Persona team just makes crap up as they go along, it was already apparent in P3 but not nearly as bad as it was in P4.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Or it could just be an extra dungeon for the new girl.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah the new dungeon idea at the least sounds likely.

Also getting harder to dodge spoilers here :mad: Yes I am one of the few people who never played P4 why do you ask.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marie is Amaterasu for more japanese deity shenanigans. Her hilarious clothing choices are from her limited understanding of modern culture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mad Fnorder posted:

Marie is Amaterasu for more japanese deity shenanigans. Her hilarious clothing choices are from her limited understanding of modern culture.
Amaterasu is already taken, it's Yukiko's second persona.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Mad Fnorder posted:

Marie's clothing is just really ugly to me, like a mishmash of weird Japanese "pop" clothing, especially compared to the really conservative style of P4.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
Marie is actually Nanako from a parallel universe in which she got merged with Aigis, and she also aspires to be a maid. You can date your little cousin in robot maid form. That is the fan requested element. (She's also the mastermind behind the TV shenanigans too.)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Policenaut posted:

Also getting harder to dodge spoilers here :mad: Yes I am one of the few people who never played P4 why do you ask.

Your not alone buddy.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed your username. You actually haven't played this game? Your one of the main guys whose posts I look for in japanese related gaming news/advice. Welp, this completely makes my world crumble. In my mind, you and Melvin the Jerk have played every single japanese game EVER.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aquans posted:

Marie is actually Nanako from a parallel universe in which she got merged with Aigis, and she also aspires to be a maid. You can date your little cousin in robot maid form. That is the fan requested element. (She's also the mastermind behind the TV shenanigans too.)
It's a testament to how bad things like this can get in Japanese stuff that I cannot discount at least some of this as a possibility.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

casual poster posted:

Your not alone buddy.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed your username. You actually haven't played this game? Your one of the main guys whose posts I look for in japanese related gaming news/advice. Welp, this completely makes my world crumble. In my mind, you and Melvin the Jerk have played every single japanese game EVER.

It was 2008 okay, I had PS3 games to play.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah drat, I haven't even beaten the first boss of P3 yet...I know I'm way late to it but every time I try to get into it my PS2 breaks and I have to hunt down a new one. gently caress, time to go drink the spoilers out of my head, have a good night everyone.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So reading online, they should probably just ditch the other 9 characters and make 10 different Chie skins.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chie is really the only character that should be the highest tier possible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I admit I wouldn't be sad if Naoto was mysteriously absent from this port.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is sort of hard to picture every fight between Yosuke and Chie not ending with Yosuke on the ground clutching his recently kicked balls.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of hard to picture every fight between Yosuke and Chie not ending with Yosuke on the ground clutching his recently kicked balls.

Yeah if she doesn't have a special that's somehow related to Trial of the Dragon I'll be pretty disappointed.

Also, hoping for Naoto as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Radish posted:

I admit I wouldn't be sad if Naoto was mysteriously absent from this port.

I would, but that's because I'm gonna get tired of kicking the poo poo out of people as Chie and I need someone else to enjoy before going back to poo poo Slapping with Chie Satonaka.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
If one of Chie's moves is not called Trial of the Dragon in the English version I will be very disappointed.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Yeah, Persona is a franchise that doesn't have a hard enough time being taken seriously. What it really needs is an unbalanced joke of a fighting game to really drive the point home.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justice posted:

Yeah, Persona is a franchise that doesn't have a hard enough time being taken seriously. What it really needs is an unbalanced joke of a fighting game to really drive the point home.

At least it would be fun and gain a better reputation for the series than "Robot sexual innuendo."

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really hope we get some visual novel style dating scenes in between fights. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Technique posted:

I really hope we get some visual novel style dating scenes in between fights. :allears:

We already have that, it was called Persona 4.