Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

I don't have a deep love for anything on this list. This movie's pretty solid though. Gorgeous visuals. For Powell/Pressburger, The Red Shoes is much, much better in my opinion.

Watched The Saragossa Manuscript.

My Criticker review:

Stories with stories within stories. Complex tale comparable to later Bunuel in it's anti-linear narrative and absurdity. Often gets too convoluted or too confusing for its own good, but usually stays in the realm of entertaining, funny, weird, and layered. 85/100

My list:

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Au Revoir Les Enfants - Another French film about enfants.

Silent Light - Sounds really interesting and the style seems right up my alley.

Fallen Angels - Not a huge Kar Wai Wong fan, but I feel like I should see more of his work.

The Letter Never Sent - Been on my wishlist for a long time, and it just showed up on Hulu Plus in HD. I figure it's time.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100, Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives: 85/100, Yi Yi:90/100, The Saragossa Manuscript: 85/100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
edit: nevermind

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 22, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
More movies I've never heard of. Jay Sherman says: I like French films, snotty pretentious French films, I like French films- Les Enfants, s'il vous plait!

Well, I've just returned from the far off future of 2019, where we have flying cars and humanoid robots to mine the offworld colonies. It's worse than Back to the Future II. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) was a good movie, but I'm not sure I followed all of it. Admittedly, I was a bit distracted looking for jobs online, so some of that's my fault. The movie was rather slow-paced, and at times it seemed like nothing was happening, and then suddenly the characters were somewhere else and I wasn't sure why they were doing what they were doing. I can understand why Scott was pressured to add a voiceover narration- I think it would make the movie worse, but it would also make it easier to follow, which means more commercial. Ford was subtle in a way I usually don't see from him, while Rutger Hauer brought all his narmy glory. His dying speech was very moving, though, covering the theme of accepting death while not becoming heavy-handed or obvious. A lot of this movie was focused on world-building, and Ridley Scott clearly wanted to show as much as he could of his sets, which contributed to the slow pace. Yes, the temple airport thing looks awesome, can we move on, please? Still, it was great to look at, and shows certain directors *coughGeorgeLucascough* that you can make engaging worlds without CGI. One thing that really confused me- wasn't Deckard supposed to be a replicant himself? I understand that's supposed to be hinted at somewhere, and while it makes sense (maybe he was just activated a few days ago for the purpose of hunting them down), I didn't see what in the movie suggested it. I must have missed something. Blade Runner is sometimes held back by a confusing narrative and slow pace, but it's a clever, well-acted movie in a fascinating fictional world.
Rating: 3.5/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

19. The Exorcist- My wife and I tried to watch this once, and both of us were just bored. We got about thirty minutes in, and it seemed like nothing happened. I don't ask for horror to be shocking from the get-go; some of my favorite horror (The Descent, Halloween, Paranormal Activity, many of Stephen King's better works, like Salem's Lot or Pet Sematary) start slow and take a while to build up, and the horror is more effective for it. I would have expected to see some creepy foreshadowing, though, or at least get me interested in the characters, but I don't remember anything remotely interesting happening. Maybe it does get better, but after half an hour, something should have sucked me in. Should I give it another try?

20. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman- like Kurosawa, it seems I'd have to go out of my way, even though I've heard lots about him. I know this is the one where the guy plays chess with death to save his soul (I once read a parody of this by Woody Allen, where a guy plays Gin Rummy with death to save his soul). That's about all I know, but I hope the chess game opens with 1. e4 c5, so I can point out that you should never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Well, I've just returned from the far off future of 2019, where we have flying cars and humanoid robots to mine the offworld colonies. It's worse than Back to the Future II. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) was a good movie, but I'm not sure I followed all of it. Admittedly, I was a bit distracted looking for jobs online, so some of that's my fault. The movie was rather slow-paced, and at times it seemed like nothing was happening, and then suddenly the characters were somewhere else and I wasn't sure why they were doing what they were doing. I can understand why Scott was pressured to add a voiceover narration- I think it would make the movie worse, but it would also make it easier to follow, which means more commercial. Ford was subtle in a way I usually don't see from him, while Rutger Hauer brought all his narmy glory. His dying speech was very moving, though, covering the theme of accepting death while not becoming heavy-handed or obvious. A lot of this movie was focused on world-building, and Ridley Scott clearly wanted to show as much as he could of his sets, which contributed to the slow pace. Yes, the temple airport thing looks awesome, can we move on, please? Still, it was great to look at, and shows certain directors *coughGeorgeLucascough* that you can make engaging worlds without CGI. One thing that really confused me- wasn't Deckard supposed to be a replicant himself? I understand that's supposed to be hinted at somewhere, and while it makes sense (maybe he was just activated a few days ago for the purpose of hunting them down), I didn't see what in the movie suggested it. I must have missed something. Blade Runner is sometimes held back by a confusing narrative and slow pace, but it's a clever, well-acted movie in a fascinating fictional world.
Rating: 3.5/4

Ridley Scott actually wanted the voice over. Blade Runner was(is) really suppose to be Future Noir, so it would be like a Science fiction version of movies like Double Indemnity. The problem was that Harrison Ford didn't like it and the writing for the voice over itself was terrible, so it sucked major balls. As for him being a replicant, nope! The movie is very open ended about that, and really not the type that you can watch and look for jobs at the same time. But the economy is bad so I'll give you a pass.

P.S:It's the FInal Cut the version to watch.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

It's a very grimdark movie.

Barton Fink caught me by surprise really, might be the best Coen Brothers movie I watched so far.(Not that it means much.) Didn't know what I was going to find, and what I got was a really fantastic piece of satire, smart dialog, great characters(and acting) and some really strange cinematography. The whole movie had this unreal feel to it and it made it easy for me to jump right into the strange and peculiar mind of Barton Fink. The plot being complete bonkers made stop to wonder if any of this was really happening, after Audrey turns up dead it just gets weirder and weirder, and it caps off perfectly. Really amazing movie.

The Shame List:

The 400 Blows Good place to start Truffaut?

Rocky I probably watched some of the worst Sly movies, but never his two most famous ones.

Videodrome Horror Cronenberg.

Sweet Smell of Success Seems like a favourite around these parts.

Charade It looks like a Hitchcock movie.

Ace in the Hole Haven't watched a Wilder in a while.

Dracula The Francis Ford Coppola one.

Mystic River Got no idea what's about.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct Mark Kermode told me to watch it.

The Double Life of Veronique I hear it looks very pretty.

Have watched so far 1 movie: Barton Fink.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Sweet Smell of Success Seems like a favourite around these parts.

For good reason.

The Hustler turned out to be surprisingly bleak and depressing, but still it's an incredibly effective look into the mindset of winning at any cost. Newman, Scott and Laurie are all excellent. The music and cinematography really accentuate the despairing aura of the film.

1. The Battleship Potemkin - I don't really have any interest in watching this but it's ranked pretty drat high on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Memento - NOLAN NOLAN NOLAN

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Stagecoach - Had Rio Bravo here for a while, but I think this is a better pick for this thread.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize it, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The Hustler The Great Escape - I am very upset that the title spoils that they do in fact escape. Movie ruined.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89, Pather Panchali 96, Punch-Drunk Love 87, Grand Illusion 84, The Hustler 84

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
gently caress YES

The Great Escape is literally my favorite movie of all time and I can’t believe I get to recommend it in this thread. Woot and a half right there. My one recommendation for watching the movie, because it is a very long one, is to pick a character or two to really get behind and just room for em to make it.

Anyway, just finished Being There. I kinda don’t like how I’m not responding as positively as I thought I would to a lot of fims so far. This was another very mixed bag for me. The whole flick is just entirely to contrived to even suggest that notion of suspension of disbelief. If there’s one saving grace, it’s obviously Peter Sellers who plays perhaps the most believable character in an entirely unbelievable setting. Based entirely on his performance, I’d recommend this movie to pretty much anyone.

Oh and the Basketball Jones scene is amazing, I rewatched it a good five times before I was able to press on.

7.5/10

My New List:

1. How To Train Your Dragon

I avoided this mainly due to being a Pixar loyalist, but it may be nice to step out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, the girlfriend wants to see it, so that’ll be fun.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. *NEW* Psycho *NEW*

Gotta get more Hitchcock, never really was interested in seeing this but I’ll give it a shot.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. The Thin Red Line

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Manhattan
My first Woody pick was one of the best I’ve gotten out of this thread, I’ve heard Manhattan is one of his best, definitely looking forward to this one.

10. Citizen Kane
Not really much to say except that I'm probably an rear end in a top hat for even halfway considering myself a film buff without having seen this.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Chili posted:

Anyway, just finished Being There. I kinda don’t like how I’m not responding as positively as I thought I would to a lot of fims so far. This was another very mixed bag for me. The whole flick is just entirely to contrived to even suggest that notion of suspension of disbelief. If there’s one saving grace, it’s obviously Peter Sellers who plays perhaps the most believable character in an entirely unbelievable setting. Based entirely on his performance, I’d recommend this movie to pretty much anyone.

I can understand not being able to suspend your disbelief; I would argue that you're not really supposed to. The plot is absurd, increasingly so to the point where it ends with Sellers literally walking on water. I suppose you can debate whether the film, overall, is extolling the virtues of innocence or satirizing our cultural obesiance to the 'empty suit', but either way I can't imagine it would work as well with a more 'serious' plot.

Still, the most important thing is indeed Seller's performance (and Basketball Jones). Thanks for giving it a try!

As for the Seventh Seal, I was dismayed to find it was not available on Netflix instant, but I should have a chance to get to the rental by this weekend. I'm very psyched.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Chainsawdomy posted:

I can understand not being able to suspend your disbelief; I would argue that you're not really supposed to. The plot is absurd, increasingly so to the point where it ends with Sellers literally walking on water. I suppose you can debate whether the film, overall, is extolling the virtues of innocence or satirizing our cultural obesiance to the 'empty suit', but either way I can't imagine it would work as well with a more 'serious' plot.

Still, the most important thing is indeed Seller's performance (and Basketball Jones). Thanks for giving it a try!

As for the Seventh Seal, I was dismayed to find it was not available on Netflix instant, but I should have a chance to get to the rental by this weekend. I'm very psyched.

I can see that. And yeah, honestly I didn't really get the point of the ending. It felt like the entire movie wasn't really about Chance, it was much more about everyone in the world pinning whatever identity they wanted on him. He was essentially a blank slate and whatever the world needed him to be in X moment, the world got. So I get that much...

But then as you said he walks on water. So yeah, I don't know. As far Hal Ashby flicks go, I'll take Harold and Maude over it any day, but it still was definitely enjoyable in spots.

Chili fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 25, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

Psycho

You have a lot of significant ones on your list but this is probably my favorite of them.

Barry Lyndon - There seemed to be an extra level of realism and authenticity for this kind of film. Barry makes frequent mistakes and the twists are so simple that they're impossible to guess. I haven't seen "Catch Me If You Can" yet but this may be similar.

I love these movies that take you into another world. Fictional but a world that could very well have existed. Does that make sense?

other notes:

They may have overdone it a little with the amount of narration.
Ryan O'Neal appears to be playing a 1760s and 1770s version of himself and looks like Val Kilmer at times.
I predicted the horse disaster. Kind of reminded me of Gone With the Wind's pony issue.
I liked that some of the music was played throughout with different instruments.

Also watched:

Gandhi - This was excellent and brilliant at times. Lots of recognizable actors. Possibly the best biographical film I've seen and one of the better historical ones. There's a lot of wisdom in this film. I wish more biopics were like this. I think part of the problem is that so many are on stars and celebrities that while they're famous they just really aren't that special or consequential or important in the grand scheme of things.

I loved that when Gandhi was put in front of a court he didn't scream and try to defend himself histrionically (like any character in any other film) and merely says:

"I have no defense, My Lord. I am guilty as charged. And if you truly believe in the system of law you administer in my country, you must inflict on me the severest penalty possible."

Is Ian Charleson in anything else good? Besides of course Chariots of Fire.

IMDb list:

#174 The Bourne Ultimatum - The first two in the series were good. 8/17/11

#196 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#211 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#218 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#219 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#220 Sherlock Jr. - The General is the only Buster Keaton film I've seen. The train sequences were excellent for their time. 8/13/11

#225 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny. 8/11/11

new #226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

new #227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

#220 Sherlock Jr. - The General is the only Buster Keaton film I've seen. The train sequences were excellent for their time. 8/13/11

As I'm working my way through the short film collection at the moment, I'll give you some Keaton. This is almost as good as The General.

Watched Au Revoir Les Enfants.

My Criticker review:

Even though it combines two things I'm iffy about in film, Nazis and coming-of-age, I actually found myself enjoying this film quite a bit. It doesn't overplay its hand, never becomes too sentimental or preachy, and is very nice to look at in a non-showy way. The world of the film feels very well-realized and real. 80/100

My list:

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Silent Light - Sounds really interesting and the style seems right up my alley.

Fallen Angels - Not a huge Kar Wai Wong fan, but I feel like I should see more of his work.

The Letter Never Sent - Been on my wishlist for a long time, and it just showed up on Hulu Plus in HD. I figure it's time.

Scenes from a Marriage - More essential Bergman that has gone unwatched by me.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100, Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives: 85/100, Yi Yi:90/100, The Saragossa Manuscript: 85/100, Au Revoir Les Enfants: 80/100.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

jonnykungfu posted:

Scenes from a Marriage - More essential Bergman that has gone unwatched by me.

Word is to watch the longer version.

Sweet Smell of Success is an incredible film. The only bad thing about it is that it ended, cause I could have watched Curtis and Lancaster play those sleazy cretins for hours and hours. Apart from the two leads the stand out is the dialog, which is just amazing, not one line is wasted and when J.J is trowing insults and people down there is no profanity or raising of voices, it's all very methodical and brutal and with a touch of twisted class. The superb black & white cinematography(Reminded me of The Third Man), gives a very dark and dirty look to NYC and during the film, it feels like it's closing in and just sucking out everything good out of the world, as Curtis and Lancaster character's try to make other people's lives as miserable and lonely as they can. Quite a gem of a film, and brilliant from start to finish.

The Shame List:

Rocky I watched some of the worst Sly movies, but never this one. SHAME!

Easy Rider Get you motor running...

Charade It looks like a Hitchcock movie.

Mystic River Got no idea what's about.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct Mark Kermode told me to watch it, but I'm lazy.

The Double Life of Veronique I hear it's very pretty.

Have watched so far 2 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Electronico6 posted:

Most definitely.

Forbidden Planet: This is an achievement of nigh-perfection in science fiction cinema. So many aspects of the film evoke sheer childlike awe while simultaneously maintaining an intellectually deep and powerful story. The music/sound is some of the best I've ever heard, especially because it fits into the movie's tone like a glove. More than anyone else, Dr. Morbius is full of so many memorably melodramatic words that blend the seriousness of his discovery with a delightful pinch of romanticism. The only problem I could cite would be that the sexual politics are certainly dated, with a couple of cringe-worthy scenes of dialogue featuring Alta, but underneath the sexism you can sort of see an attempt, albeit perhaps a poor one, at exploration of gender dynamics. This is one of my favorite films ever now. 95/100

1. Three Colors: Blue: I've lollygagged around with these long enough.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Shane: I'm trying really hard to get through the majority of these classic Westerns.

4. Notorious: I may have seen this as a kid, but I remember nothing.

5. The Americanization of Emily: I want to get my Paddy on.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. In the Mood for Love: I have yet to react with any other fashion than complete adoration for all the Wong Kar Wai I've seen.

8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans: Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet, Nashville, The Great Dictator, Forbidden Planet

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Kull, watch Satantango, because that's going on my list eventually.

Fallen Angels didn't grab me as much as 2046. Maybe it was just because it was way more confusing. The camerawork was very different from that later work, not as deliberate. The soundtrack fit the moods of this film perfectly. 4/5.

Also watched Schizopolis. There were some truly funny moments, and some truly bizarre moments. I know that Soderbergh is trying to say something about communication breakdown, but I'm not sure what (that its bad, I guess), and I don't think he really knows either. There was one character that didn't work, and completely killed all momentum when he had a scene. Watch this if you want something unique and absurdly funny. 4/5.

Also watched Blind Chance, which was a big disappointment. While the concept has potential (a man is trying to catch a train, three possible outcomes are shown), the stories were just so drat bland and boring, and really had nothing to do with each other. I might have liked it more if I cared about Polish history and politics, but I don't so I didn't. 2.5/5

Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Contempt
Next on TSPDT. I love Godard, so I'm looking forward to this.
Ghost World
Next on TSPDTs 21st Century list. Not sure I'm going to like this one.
The Grapes of Wrath
Up there on the top 250.
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
The Enigma of Brun S.
Scarface
Haven't seen the original yet.
Ace in the Hole
I've been meaning to put this one on the list for a long time.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Grapes of Wrath
Up there on the top 250.
Haven't seen any, so I'll recommend the most lauded of your list.

Rashomon is probably the weakest of the Kurosawa films I've seen. The story wasn't too appealing despite it being the age old perspective tale. Not a bad film by any means, with great acting done by Toshiro Mifune as per usual. Just not my cup of tea.

New List:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. The Departed - Most recent best picture I haven't seen.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. The Graduate - All I knew is Dustin Hoffman, "Mrs. Robinson are you trying to seduce me", and Simon and Garfunkel.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Dog Day Afternoon - Recommended to me by my father among others recently.

Watched Count 78: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

I've always found this one interesting because if you watch it on TV it's pretty much a standard comedy (they cut out a lot) but the theatrical has more depth.

Sherlock Jr. - I liked the movie within a movie scenes the most. The trick photography was impressive. I was amused but wasn't blown away by it.

also:

Stalag 17 - Reminded me of a junior version of The Great Escape in some ways. It was pretty good but I could've done with less of the Animal character. I found him grating after a while.

IMDb list:

#196 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#211 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#218 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#219 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#225 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny. 8/11/11

#226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

new #228 Manhattan - It seems that I've seen Woody Allen's lesserknowns more than his big hits.

new #229 The Celebration - I read the plot and I can't reconcile it with the title. For it being relatively new it's strange I haven't heard anything about it before really besides a few mentions in this thread.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Zogo, go watch Ed Wood, it's easily one of Burton's best. Truly hilarious at times and probably the only one of his Depp hybrids that's worth a drat. Pay attention to Martin Landau and Bill Murray as well, their performances are brilliant. As always, with comedies, I'd definitely recommend watching this with as many people as you can.

Ok so I watched Psycho. I need to be clear about this. I loving hate horror films. I don't like being scared, I never really understood the appeal.

This movie though, this loving brilliant movie, has finally managed to convince that there is delight to be found in being absolutely terrified. Everything about this film was phenomenal, but if there's one thing I really have to say Hitchcock nailed more than anything, it was the pacing. The speed in which the audience learns more about the characters and the plot was perfect. I kept on wanting more and every time I wanted more, I got it almost immediately. It's a thoroughly clever film with some absolutely perfect camera work. Honestly, I can't find a single bad thing to say about it. I'm pleased as hell to issue this one full marks. Thank you so much Zogo!

10/10

My New List:

1. How To Train Your Dragon

I avoided this mainly due to being a Pixar loyalist, but it may be nice to step out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, the girlfriend wants to see it, so that’ll be fun.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. *NEW* Unforgiven *NEW*
Not a whole to say about this other than it’s high up on my flickchart list of movies I haven’t seen. I really don’t like Hackman but I’ve heard he’s good in this so maybe this will turn my opinion around.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. Badlands

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Manhattan
My first Woody pick was one of the best I’ve gotten out of this thread, I’ve heard Manhattan is one of his best, definitely looking forward to this one.

10. Citizen Kane
Not really much to say except that I'm probably an rear end in a top hat for even halfway considering myself a film buff without having seen this.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 1, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Chili posted:

3. Apocalypse Now

Since you chose your favorite movie for me to watch I will do the same. Watch the theatrical version.

The Great Escape is really good. It's pretty well paced for its length, once everything is set up things just get more and more tense. It also didn't end at all like I expected it to. All of the characters I really liked died. Steve McQueen's character was actually my least favorite, he looked like he didn't belong there. He's just way too cool. You could've just substituted a dog wearing sunglasses for his scenes. Although I don't know if a cool dog could ride a motorcycle as well.

1. The Battleship Potemkin - I don't really have any interest in watching this but it's ranked pretty drat high on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Stagecoach - Had Rio Bravo here for a while, but I think this is a better pick for this thread.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize it, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The Great Escape La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89, Pather Panchali 96, Punch-Drunk Love 87, Grand Illusion 84, The Hustler 84, The Great Escape 80

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 1, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

The ending always creeps me out. One of the more memorable themes too.

Ed Wood - I just received this through Netflix a few days ago. The interplay between Depp and Landau was good. They shared a lot of funny scenes together. I felt as if I was watching the real people that were portrayed.

I've only seen Plan 9 from Outer Space prior to this. I should watch a few of his others sometime.

IMDb list:

#226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#228 Manhattan - It seems that I've seen Woody Allen's lesserknowns more than his big hits. 8/31/11

#229 The Celebration - I read the plot and I can't reconcile it with the title. For it being relatively new it's strange I haven't heard anything about it before really besides a few mentions in this thread. 8/31/11

new Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - First one was entertaining enough. One down seven to go. 9/1/11

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Zogo, watch The Celebration. Avoid reading too much of the plot beforehand.

The Grapes of Wrath was a good story well told, but not much more than that. I haven't read the book, but I could tell that there were a whole lot of details missing from the film. It could have done better by showing fewer events, but in more detail, and to focus a bit more on the secondary characters. Even though some of the characters were underdeveloped, the sense of the family bonds were strong, which brought the emotional attachments to them. Seeing this makes me really want to read the book. 4/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Contempt
Ghost World
The Enigma of Bruno S.
Scarface
Ace in the Hole
I've been meaning to put this one on the list for a long time.
Woman in the Dunes
I've heard it mentioned on the forums here before, but I know nothing about it.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

TenSpadesBeTrump- I'm giving you "Ace in the Hole", I really like that one.

I watched "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". The story itself is OK, and any of the secondary characters who get any screentime are ok, but the real enjoyment from the movie comes in watching Paul Newman and Robert Redford be awesome for almost 2 hours. They were both very entertaining, and it made the movie worth watching. If I had a major problem with the movie it was the bizarre soundtrack that came in a couple times. What was up with "Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head"? It took me completely out of the movie, it didn't fit in with most of the rest of the movie and was pointless. Who thought it was a good idea and why do people actually like that part? Was it done as a goof or what?

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. The Hustler:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf:
Have no knowledge of this one.

6. Gandhi:
Never got around to it

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Killing:
More Noir

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, Amadeus, The Big Sleep, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
zandert33 you get The Killing. It is one of my favorite noirs, and one of Kubrick's best. It's only 80 minutes or something. Good luck.

I'm going to steal Zogo's idea and just take the highest rated movies from the top 250.

13. Seven Samurai (1954) - I have only seen Rashoman from Akira Kurosawa.
20. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - I've seen the dollars trilogy twice, but never got around to watching this, which is apparently just as good, if not better.
28. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - I think I watched this on TV as a kid.
30. Forrest Gump (1994) - Never got around to watching it, even though it's one of the most popular movies of the last 20 years.
54. Double Indemnity (1944) - One of many noirs I haven't seen.
63. Modern Times (1936) - The only Chaplin movie I have seen is City Lights.
64. Das Boot (1981) - I've actually seen the first hour of this, was really good, I can't remember why I didn't finish it.
65. Life Is Beautiful (1997) - Don't really know what this is.
72. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Heard good things.
73. Cinema Paradiso (1988) - Don't really know what this is.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
JohnnyDavidson, I'll start you off with the obligatory Seven Samurai.

Ace in the Hole was another great one from Wilder. Kirk Douglas gave an excellent performance. The story of how everyone exploited one man's great misfortune was engaging. You could really tell how much Wilder hated the media. 4.5/5

Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Contempt
Ghost World
The Enigma of Bruno S.
Scarface
Woman in the Dunes
The Kid
Next on the top 250. One of the few major Chaplin works I've missed.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Secret Honor

A fine, oblique look at the legacy of Richard Nixon. That it's almost entirely fictional doesn't restrict its power, and at the end it's difficult not to, in some way or another, feel some sort of sympathy for the real former president. Not that, in all likelihood, did any of what's described in the film happen in real life but it's a great illustration of the sort of pressures that are applied to the commander in chief. Hall is indescribably magnificent, playing Nixon not as an imitation or a caricature but a character all to itself. The editing deftly connects his rambling monologue, and it's hard to keep in mind that the film wasn't shot in one go. It flows so naturally and it's gripping in its entirety, even as it fractures and melts and doubles back. Hall's Nixon flips effortlessly between mindsets, one moment a doddering old man, the next a powerful political figure, then a rambling paranoiac. Ultimately, he is a martyr driven to the lowest depths of self-sacrifice, a befuddled, tragic figure, the ultimate American myth.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - This looks kind of boring.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Gosford Park - Like Clue, only with more classism?

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10 (total: 40)

TenSpades, have fun and be Safe.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Magic Hate Ball, have some more Altman with Gosford Park

The first half of Safe is nearly flawless. The subtle creepiness of Julianne Moore's unexplainable illness makes for a great slow burn horror. Her degrading mental state and worsening symptoms were terrifying, but then her illness is "explained", and the tone shifts drastically. The second half of the film isn't bad by any means, and is a very interesting study of her psychology. I would have liked that part it much more if the first half hadn't been almost perfectly unsettling. 4/5

Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Contempt
Ghost World
The Enigma of Bruno S.
Scarface
Woman in the Dunes
The Kid
Kes
Don't know anything about this.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump watch Woman in the Dunes.

I really enjoyed the feel of Close Encounters. I was dying to know what would happen next, and the great acting and music didn't hurt either. Some of the ship effects look pretty dated now, but that doesn't really bother me. One thing about the story that seemed strange to me was Roy just abandoning his family with no repercussions shown. I never expected to see something like that in a Spielberg film. Also, I watched the original theatrical version which is apparently the worst of the 3 versions. I didn't know that until after I watched it. Whoops.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind Forbidden Planet - More classic sci-fi.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75, The Graduate 89, Pather Panchali 96, Punch-Drunk Love 87, Grand Illusion 84, The Hustler 84, The Great Escape 80, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 79

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Se7en was pretty good, but Memento was excellent. Go with that.

Chinatown started slow, and I wasn't sure I would like it, but it really drew me in. Nicholson is one of those actors who has such a reputation off-camera that you sometimes forget what a good actor he actually is. He embodied the archetypal good-hearted cynic very well, and you really felt for his relationship with Evelyn. The movie was, of course, depressing as all hell. I liked the slow pacing of it, as striking images are revealed gradually (like the final scene, where you see the car stop and the horn blaring, and it takes a minute to realize what that means). The plot was twisting and required your attention, but it was still pretty clear by the end. Like a good mystery, the clues build on one another. And when you learn about Evelyn's relationship with the mysterious girl, it's almost a jaw-dropping surprise. I said immediately that they looked alike, but I didn't realize how close it would be (though, I have to admit, I did get a little creeped out when I realize Polanski had made a movie that involved a grown man raping an adolescent girl, but I was mostly able to put that out of my head). Mr. Cross's final scene, where he confronts Evelyn, was skin-crawlingly creepy, partly because of what we knew, but the actor played it with a lot of menace. I'm not sure I get the significance of Chinatown itself, though. So, what, the idea was that Chinatown at that time was largely independent, and the police left them to manage their own affairs? Chinatown played very little role in the plot, but I think it was intended symbolically. Like: Jake spent years working in Chinatown knowing there was very little he could do to have a positive impact there, so he left the police and went into private practice. However, when he finds this big case, he ultimately sees he's unable to do much good anywhere else, either. The famous line "forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown" is him seeing that the whole world is just as corrupt and he can't fight against the prevailing power. Does that sound right?

Rating: 4/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

19. The Exorcist- My wife and I tried to watch this once, and both of us were just bored. We got about thirty minutes in, and it seemed like nothing happened. I don't ask for horror to be shocking from the get-go; some of my favorite horror (The Descent, Halloween, Paranormal Activity, many of Stephen King's better works, like Salem's Lot or Pet Sematary) start slow and take a while to build up, and the horror is more effective for it. I would have expected to see some creepy foreshadowing, though, or at least get me interested in the characters, but I don't remember anything remotely interesting happening. Maybe it does get better, but after half an hour, something should have sucked me in. Should I give it another try?

20. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman- like Kurosawa, it seems I'd have to go out of my way, even though I've heard lots about him. I know this is the one where the guy plays chess with death to save his soul (I once read a parody of this by Woody Allen, where a guy plays Gin Rummy with death to save his soul). That's about all I know, but I hope the chess game opens with 1. e4 c5, so I can point out that you should never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

21. Robert Altman is a name I've seen thrown around a lot- who is he? What's he done that I should see?

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure I get the significance of Chinatown itself, though. So, what, the idea was that Chinatown at that time was largely independent, and the police left them to manage their own affairs? Chinatown played very little role in the plot, but I think it was intended symbolically. Like: Jake spent years working in Chinatown knowing there was very little he could do to have a positive impact there, so he left the police and went into private practice. However, when he finds this big case, he ultimately sees he's unable to do much good anywhere else, either. The famous line "forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown" is him seeing that the whole world is just as corrupt and he can't fight against the prevailing power. Does that sound right?

Never thought of it that way. It's all about Jake's past when he was a policeman in Chinatown. He tried to save a woman and she ended up dead because of it. Hence why he is so cynical about things. The idea that he tries to pass, is that he is over it(He forgot!) but he still bears the cross of that event. "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown" carries some dark depressing irony, cause Jake will never forget Chinatown and the women he failed to save, instead will just become more cynical and bitter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Gosford Park

A sparkling, dreamlike, and entirely original take on the country-manor murder mystery. Altman focuses entirely on the characters, letting the murder essentially fall by the wayside (it doesn't occur until almost ninety minutes in), preferring to observe the upstairs-downstairs dynamics with his quietly wandering camera. The sprawling cast is entirely A-list, most notably featuring Maggie Smith in a typically snobby role, but also Emily Watson as the quietly frustrated maid Elsie and Bob Balaban as a nebbish Hollywood producer. Altman gently kids the English but there's a serious class-ism undertone, too, particularly in the reveal of the murderer. A half-century of skill put to use.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - This looks kind of boring.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) All About Eve - Catty bitching?

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10 (total: 41)

Jurgan, Chinatown's okay but Nashville is where it's at.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Magic Hate Ball, watch Viridiana

Woman in the Dunes was fantastic. The sense of claustrophobia and complete futility of life that this character faces is palpable. The sand was everywhere, and it was terrifying. 5/5

Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Contempt
Ghost World
The Enigma of Bruno S.
Scarface
The Kid
Kes
Fantastic Planet
I hear nothing but good things about this.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm not too fond of Shelley Duvall, but otherwise that movie sounds amazing. Thanks for the rec.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was so hoping you would get Popeye as an Altman intro. Especially with your love of Shelley Duvall.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't know if Popeye would be a good Altman intro. Everything up to the betting track is pretty much A+ but it gets really, really lovely after that and it could put someone off of Altman. Also, I didn't know you hate Shelley Duvall so I guess you're lucky I didn't give you 3 Women.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I wouldn't say I "hate" Duvall. I saw her in Annie Hall and found her pretty uninteresting there, but I really didn't like her in The Shining. Actually, I didn't like much of that movie, partly because I read the book just a few days before and spent too much time comparing, partly because Jack seemed completely unlikeable even before he goes crazy (you really need to sympathize with him early on in order to care when he goes bad), and partly because Shelley Duvall overacted to an extent that I found laughable. Maybe it had something to do with Kubrick terrorizing her throughout the whole shoot- YMMV, and I know a lot of people disagree on this one, but it didn't work for me.

I actually did know that I might have gotten Popeye with that request, but was hoping I wouldn't. I thought that was one of those "shameful" projects, like "wait, Francis Ford Coppola directed Jack?" (also with Robin Williams) I was hoping to get something more notable, and it sounds like I got a good one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Popeye is honestly really good for like an hour and fifteen minutes, and then it totally collapses. If you really like Nashville it wouldn't hurt to check out Short Cuts (massive-cast ensemble film based on stories by Raymond Carver). Everything he did from MASH to A Wedding (except for Buffalo Bill, ugh) is pretty great, too.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
TenSpadesBeTrump, watch Scarface.

The only complaint I have about The Player is that it felt more like a Cohen Bros. film than what I'm used to from Altman. Which isn't really a complaint at all, I suppose. Anyway, it's strength was calling out Hollywood on things like long shots, happy endings, etc, and then commiting those very transgressions. I'm sure there's dozens that I missed, but I loved the opening when they're talking about the long opening scene from Touch of Evil, and then you realize that Altman's doing the same thing. Not my favorite Altman that I've seen, I miss the huge cast of wacky characters like in Nashville and MASH, but it's still a great movie.

New List:
Magnolia The P.T.A. spot for now. There Will Be Blood is one of the reasons I went to film school, and I fell in love with Punch Drunk Love from the first scene.

The Thin Red Line Just going to work Terrence Malick backwards.

The Magnificent Ambersons Welles.

Thieves Like Us Altman Altman Altman.

Barry Lyndon I've always found Kubrick hard to connect to. Beautiful images, with flat characters. I'll admit, I have seen a bit of this one, but couldn't finish it. I'll give it a fair chance this go around.

Requiem For a Dream The only two Aronofsky I haven't seen are this one and Pi.

In the Mood For Love TSPDT's 21st Century list. This movie looks incredible, and I love forbidden romance kinds of stories.

Ace in the Hole Noir spot. Pulled from IMDb's top fifty noir list. I love the language of noir, there's aboslutely nothing else like it.

Nights of Cabiria Found an Italian Neorealism list on Flickchart. If anyone knows of a better, or more comprehensive one, let me know.

Schindler's List Use of color. Should be seeing this for way more reasons than that, but I've discovered a knack, as well as passion, for color-grading in school. I'd like to study more films that have an imaginitive/evocative/engaging use of color, or that just have a unique grade to them. I may open this one up to suggestions in the future.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville, Madame de.., Ikiru, Bringing Up Baby, Au Hasard Balthazar, Amarcord, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, To Be or Not To Be, Notorious, The Battle of Algiers, The Player

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 10, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Some good ones on your list, tokillthesunflower. Go with Ace in the Hole

Scarface was a lot of fun. The opening disclaimer and tacked on moralizing had me rolling my eyes, but if that's what it took for this movie to be made, then I'm all for it. Muni is wildly entertaining and charismatic. There was some nice comic relief, and a few clever visual techniques. I particularly liked the shot of the gun shooting off the pages of a calendar to show the passage of time. 4.5/5

Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Contempt
Ghost World
The Enigma of Bruno S.
The Kid
Kes
Fantastic Planet
I hear nothing but good things about this.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Very ashamed about this one.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Popeye is honestly really good for like an hour and fifteen minutes, and then it totally collapses. If you really like Nashville it wouldn't hurt to check out Short Cuts (massive-cast ensemble film based on stories by Raymond Carver). Everything he did from MASH to A Wedding (except for Buffalo Bill, ugh) is pretty great, too.

Oh, I did see MASH- well, about half of it. I got right about to the "suicide is painless" scene, and had to leave shortly after that (and it was on TV, so I couldn't go back later). Pretty good, though I think I was surprised it wasn't as light-hearted as the TV show (though I've only seen a couple eps. of that).

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Very ashamed about this one.

You won't be for very long then.

Took me awhile but finally watched The 400 Blows. And I thought I was going to like it more honestly. There are great moments through out the film, but I just felt that it amount to nothing. It left me a bit cold really. Can see why it's considered great, and in a sense I "get" what Truffaut was trying to express, but....eh. Though I did like it more than the Godard films I watched so far. Always the silver lining.

The Shame List:

Dark City I hear this one is like The Matrix. But actually good.

Rocky I watched some of the worst Sly movies, but never this one. SHAME!

Easy Rider Get you motor running...

Charade The trailer is hilarious.

Mystic River Got no idea what this one is about.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct Mark Kermode told me to watch it, but I'm lazy.

The Double Life of Veronique It looks pretty.

Have watched so far 3 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Electronico6, you get Rocky.

Jurgan posted:

Actually, I didn't like much of that movie, partly because I read the book just a few days before and spent too much time comparing, partly because Jack seemed completely unlikeable even before he goes crazy (you really need to sympathize with him early on in order to care when he goes bad), and partly because Shelley Duvall overacted to an extent that I found laughable.
I've found that people who read the book first prefer it, and vice versa. I prefer the book myself, so I don't think that's too unusual.

penismightier posted:

Which in particular are you thinking of?
I need to watch the movie again since I remember the overall feeling I got more than the specifics. I think I'll do that in the near future. One thing I can say about An American Werewolf in London is that it definitely has rewatch value.

Speaking of rewatch value, I just finished Videodrome and I really liked it. Even though I have a pretty good idea of what was "really" happening vis-à-vis what we see happen, it was still very much worth letting myself go along for the ride. This is right up there with The Holy Mountain in the way it mixes the sexual and the abjectly hosed-up. Those 80s special effects made me queasy in a way I don't think any more recent movie ever has. I was sure it was the work of Rob Bottin—whose work in a ton of films gives me shivers down the spine to this day—and although it's not Bottin himself, it's very reminiscent of his style.

I also watched The Dead, which I didn't really care for. The way it was structured didn't make it obvious at all that Gabriel was the main character, so the majority of the movie just feels like I'm watching total strangers I barely know talk about things I know almost nothing about. The movie didn't really pick up steam until the final hotel room scene (and the final shot is quite haunting), but two good monologues at the end weren't enough to carry the entire movie, especially when they weren't foreshadowed whatsoever. I feel a bit guilty saying this about James Joyce and John Huston, though, so I plan on reading the original short story and giving this another shot.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass; Das Boot; My Left Foot; An American Werewolf in London; Dirty Harry; Manhunter; The Dead; Videodrome

The Color of Pomegranates: The only Soviet films I've seen are Solaris, Man with a Movie Camera, and The Battleship Potemkin. Although I believe this film's still fairly well known, I feel like I should see something at least a little more esoteric than those three.
The Conversation: I've only seen 3/5 of John Cazale's short but insanely amazing career.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Hoop Dreams: Although I've heard it's one of the best films of its decade, it always takes me a little extra push to motivate myself to watch something that pushes three hours.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
Moonstruck: It's been too long since the last time I saw Nicolas Cage act the gently caress out of something new.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Uzak: :zombie: I've never seen a Turkish film.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 12, 2011