Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

stubblyhead posted:

http://www.27bslash6.com/ ?

This is the only one you need to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Is there a better bookmarking and tagging site than Delicious?

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPtY_spGWw

Does anyone know what style of dance this is? Or what it is called? I wanted to say soft-shoeing, but I'm not sure.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

marshmallard posted:

I've heard people rave about Pin Board but I've never used it. I've stopped using Bookmarks when I started using Google Reader and RSS. If I need to read something longer later I use Read It Later to keep them until I can sit down with my iPad.

Maybe a better question is what do you use Delicious for and what are you missing?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

gariig posted:

I've heard people rave about Pin Board but I've never used it. I've stopped using Bookmarks when I started using Google Reader and RSS. If I need to read something longer later I use Read It Later to keep them until I can sit down with my iPad.

Maybe a better question is what do you use Delicious for and what are you missing?

I use it to save online shopping websites. I like to tag them with things like 'clothes' 'jewellery' 'makeup' etc depending on what they sell, and the names of people who I might be shopping for that would like their stuff.

I guess I'd like an easier interface - using the bookmarklet to add stuff is OK but you have to type the tags by hand (would be better to have a clickable list, at least of the main tags) and then when you go to the Delicious site your bookmarks are just in a chronological text list. I'd much rather have a screenshot of each site or SOMETHING visually nice to look at.

I just find Delicious really dull and unexciting. The interface hasn't been touched in years and I'm sure it could be done much better.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

marshmallard posted:

I just find Delicious really dull and unexciting. The interface hasn't been touched in years and I'm sure it could be done much better.

I have no idea if it does the things you are looking for, but some friends of mine really love pinterest.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Elman posted:

I keep receiving emails saying someone's tried to reset my account password in some site or another. So far no password's changed and I've been able to safely ignore it, but it's a bit disturbing.

Could this just be some bot poking around looking for accounts to steal or active emails to spam, or should I be worried? :ohdear:

If it's just one site I would just email an admin or whatever, it's possibly someone with a close username/email trying to reset their password.

If it's multiple sites I would be concerned (about my password security/strength).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

marshmallard posted:

I use it to save online shopping websites. I like to tag them with things like 'clothes' 'jewellery' 'makeup' etc depending on what they sell, and the names of people who I might be shopping for that would like their stuff.

I guess I'd like an easier interface - using the bookmarklet to add stuff is OK but you have to type the tags by hand (would be better to have a clickable list, at least of the main tags) and then when you go to the Delicious site your bookmarks are just in a chronological text list. I'd much rather have a screenshot of each site or SOMETHING visually nice to look at.

Have you looked into something like SpringPad, Evernote, or url=http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/]Microsoft OneNote[/url]? These are note taking applications that allow you to clip pages (bookmarks) and tagging. They have a much richer UI then a bookmark in Delicious.

If you still want to bookmark I've used Diigo and Historious[url] for a while but like I said I generally don't bookmark so dropped it. Another option might be a private [url=http://www.tumblr.com/]Tumble blog but that might be a pain for searching. Tumblr looks similar to Pinterest that stubblyhead suggested.

If you want to use Delicious have you looked into any of browser plugins? They might offer a richer experience then a bookmarklet.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

gariig posted:

Have you looked into something like SpringPad, Evernote, or url=http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/]Microsoft OneNote[/url]? These are note taking applications that allow you to clip pages (bookmarks) and tagging. They have a much richer UI then a bookmark in Delicious.

If you still want to bookmark I've used Diigo and Historious[url] for a while but like I said I generally don't bookmark so dropped it. Another option might be a private [url=http://www.tumblr.com/]Tumble blog but that might be a pain for searching. Tumblr looks similar to Pinterest that stubblyhead suggested.

If you want to use Delicious have you looked into any of browser plugins? They might offer a richer experience then a bookmarklet.

Thanks so much for this, I'll be looking into these for sure.

I have the Chrome extension for Delicious but all it does is add the bookmarklet!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RebBrownies posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPtY_spGWw

Does anyone know what style of dance this is? Or what it is called? I wanted to say soft-shoeing, but I'm not sure.

Well, the basic footwork is almost Charleston (except only one foot moves), with '20s-style twisties.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If it's just one site I would just email an admin or whatever, it's possibly someone with a close username/email trying to reset their password.

If it's multiple sites I would be concerned (about my password security/strength).

Well, it's Steam and Minecraft. They can't do anything unless they broke into my mail, though?

I'll probably just scan for viruses and change my passwords, just in case v:shobon:v

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Yea that could be a sign of a lot of things. Start with any email accounts you have and set a very strong *different* one on each. They love compromised emails because that gives them access to almost anything.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Elman posted:

I keep receiving emails saying someone's tried to reset my account password in some site or another. So far no password's changed and I've been able to safely ignore it, but it's a bit disturbing.

Could this just be some bot poking around looking for accounts to steal or active emails to spam, or should I be worried? :ohdear:
My wife and I both got emails from Sprint yesterday, saying

quote:

You recently requested a My Sprint Username. The following username(s) are associated with this email address. [username here]

It sufficiently creeped us out (she doesn't have a Sprint phone anymore, and our accounts were never tied to each other at all) that we both logged in and changed our passwords.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

silversiren posted:

Sweet, thanks! I was wondering when they were going to start showing something else besides All That, Doug, Kenan & Kel, and Clarissa.

You shut your slut mouth, a lot of us would pay great money for a channel with nothing but those shows. Give or take Clarissa, maybe substitute it for Rocko.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Why have Ebay made it so sellers can't leave negative feedback? Some stupid bitch owes me £40, but she hasn't paid and Ebay are doing nothing (I opened an "unpaid item case"). I should be allowed to tell other buyers to avoid her :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

madlilnerd posted:

Why have Ebay made it so sellers can't leave negative feedback? Some stupid bitch owes me £40, but she hasn't paid and Ebay are doing nothing (I opened an "unpaid item case"). I should be allowed to tell other buyers to avoid her :(

Ughhh TELL me about it. This was a policy put in place by the new CEO (I think?) of eBay a while back. Apparently it was to stop sellers threatening to retaliate if buyers gave them negative feedback.

Since this happened, the number of non-paying or abusive buyers I've had to deal with has gone through the roof. A lot of them had positive feedbacks with negative comments, which should never happen :/

Edit: quotes from the email I got at the time:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.

How will these new changes enhance the eBay marketplace?

We believe these changes will reduce the current imbalances in the Feedback system. Buyers will be able to more accurately rate seller performance, and will be better able to identify reliable and under-performing sellers. Seller will be better protected from buyers who breach our policies. [How?!]

Why is eBay making these changes?

The previous system prevented some buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made the Feedback system less reliable for buyers as a means of identifying the best and worst sellers. In addition, many buyers who received retaliatory negative Feedback reduced their activity on eBay, which in turn harmed sellers. [read 'our bottom line']

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 11, 2017

RikkiTikkiTavi
Aug 24, 2008

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? My cat ate some of it, and horked what I hope is most of it up but I still want to be sure.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is there a fun way to improve your grammar?

I do a lot of technical writing for work and I'm often wondering if my grammar is correct.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is there a fun way to improve your grammar?

I do a lot of technical writing for work and I'm often wondering if my grammar is correct.

There's a thread on this very topic in Science, Academics and Languages.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

RikkiTikkiTavi posted:

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? My cat ate some of it, and horked what I hope is most of it up but I still want to be sure.

That is a houseplant called Nephthytis.
It is toxic to cats.
You need to contact your vet ASAP.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/nephthytis.aspx

RikkiTikkiTavi
Aug 24, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

That is a houseplant called Nephthytis.
It is toxic to cats.
You need to contact your vet ASAP.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/nephthytis.aspx

Thank you so much.

Vet contacted, cat should be fine.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What kind of plant is this and how can I take better care of it? It's 38 years old and I've had it for 3. As long as I've had it, it's always looked like droopy poo poo like this.

Newer/smaller leaves aren't as wilted:

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I know this doesn't fall under copyright law, but is it illegal.

If I wrote a book about a detective agency in which a detective was the only member (named Bernard Freeman) alive of a two man team after the other member died from poisoning a few years before (named Chad Butler) and the story took place in a Texas town. Maybe the Agency is named "blah blah blah" shortened to UGK.

These are the names of member of a rap group and the group is UGK (Pimp C and Bun B). Pimp C died a few years ago after suffocating after drinking Syrup.

So these things coincide but are not factual.

Maybe more understandable would be A story about an ER where all the doctors are named after members of Grateful Dead with the Chief of Medicine (Jerome Garcia) had died of a Heart Attack.

Is this illegal? I chose rap names in the first example because they have gone out of their way to create new names/persona for themselves in their career.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ridonkulous posted:

I know this doesn't fall under copyright law, but is it illegal.

If I wrote a book about a detective agency in which a detective was the only member (named Bernard Freeman) alive of a two man team after the other member died from poisoning a few years before (named Chad Butler) and the story took place in a Texas town. Maybe the Agency is named "blah blah blah" shortened to UGK.

These are the names of member of a rap group and the group is UGK (Pimp C and Bun B). Pimp C died a few years ago after suffocating after drinking Syrup.

So these things coincide but are not factual.

Maybe more understandable would be A story about an ER where all the doctors are named after members of Grateful Dead with the Chief of Medicine (Jerome Garcia) had died of a Heart Attack.

Is this illegal? I chose rap names in the first example because they have gone out of their way to create new names/persona for themselves in their career.

It's not illegal, per se, but you're going to spend your time fielding questions about why you're writing UGK fanfic where instead of being rappers they're private detectives.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Besesoth posted:

It's not illegal, per se, but you're going to spend your time fielding questions about why you're writing UGK fanfic where instead of being rappers they're private detectives.

I'm not writing poo poo, I was just wondering about the legal side of it.
Just want to clear up I don't write and don't write fan-fiction.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ridonkulous posted:

I'm not writing poo poo, I was just wondering about the legal side of it.
Just want to clear up I don't write and don't write fan-fiction.

I think it'd be ok. Just look at what Family Guy gets away with.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Venture Brothers has taken some pretty serious liberties with the biographical information of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Klaus Nomi. It's not exactly the same as what you're talking about, but I don't think they've gotten in any trouble over it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

marshmallard posted:

Why is eBay making these changes?

The previous system prevented some buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made the Feedback system less reliable for buyers as a means of identifying the best and worst sellers. In addition, many buyers who received retaliatory negative Feedback reduced their activity on eBay, which in turn harmed sellers. [read 'our bottom line']

This is why. Negative feedback was used by poo poo sellers to threaten/retaliate way, way more than was being used on non-paying bidders or whiners or whatever. Some assholes even had it in their listings. "CONTACT ME FIRST with problems. DO NOT leave negative feedback! I will leave it for you NO MATTER WHAT!"

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is why. Negative feedback was used by poo poo sellers to threaten/retaliate way, way more than was being used on non-paying bidders or whiners or whatever. Some assholes even had it in their listings. "CONTACT ME FIRST with problems. DO NOT leave negative feedback! I will leave it for you NO MATTER WHAT!"

Well that's kind of fair enough, no? You should contact a seller before you leave them negative feedback, to give them a chance to resolve things.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

marshmallard posted:

I think I've found what I was looking for: https://gimmebar.com/

Looks amazing :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

marshmallard posted:

Ughhh TELL me about it. This was a retarded policy put in place by the new CEO (I think?) of eBay a while back. Apparently it was to stop sellers threatening to retaliate if buyers gave them negative feedback.

Since this happened, the number of non-paying or abusive buyers I've had to deal with has gone through the roof. A lot of them had positive feedbacks with negative comments, which should never happen :/

Edit: quotes from the email I got at the time:
~email~

Check out this bitch's feedback. She's got 100%.. My guess, based on the fact she was buying a horrible lolita dress from me, is that she's a stupid impulse buyer who bids and picks and chooses what she actually pays for. I'm really pissed off because I can see she's bought stuff since she won my item.

I can kind of understand the policy, because a couple of times I've bought things and thought about leaving negative feedback but being scared of retaliation (once bought a hat that smelt like an ashtray, but the seller never said he had a smoke free home, so I learnt my lesson there!).

:sigh: I guess there's nothing I can do. I've contacted her repeatedly and I've had a case open with Ebay for a while, so I think I'm going to have to relist and pray for bids. Will Ebay still charge me for the first auction?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

madlilnerd posted:

Check out this bitch's feedback. She's got 100%.. My guess, based on the fact she was buying a horrible lolita dress from me, is that she's a stupid impulse buyer who bids and picks and chooses what she actually pays for. I'm really pissed off because I can see she's bought stuff since she won my item.

I can kind of understand the policy, because a couple of times I've bought things and thought about leaving negative feedback but being scared of retaliation (once bought a hat that smelt like an ashtray, but the seller never said he had a smoke free home, so I learnt my lesson there!).

:sigh: I guess there's nothing I can do. I've contacted her repeatedly and I've had a case open with Ebay for a while, so I think I'm going to have to relist and pray for bids. Will Ebay still charge me for the first auction?

Ugh that's exactly what I mean. But you see the 100% and the hundreds of feedback points and don't think to click through to the comments :/ what a broken system.

If your unpaid item case has been open a while and she hasn't responded, you can go back to it and close it. You'll then get your fees back for the first auction :)

It's not perfect but it's something. Also you never know, you might be the last unpaid item strike she needed to get banned!

Edit: I got angry negative feedback from a woman after her husband had angry words with my boyfriend when they picked the item up (he threatened to 'drop [my boyfriend] where he stood' because he (the buyer) had parked in the wrong place, which wasn't remotely our fault). It was really unfair feedback so I filled in a defamation form, faxed it to ebay and they took the feedback down. Victory!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Speaking of ebay, what's up with stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Anti-Gla...#ht_2406wt_1344

Most other sellers seem to be set on about $3 for a 3 pack of no-name screen guards. Look at his items for sale, sort by price, he's got a bunch of $200 screen protectors, a $500 evo charger cradle and $400 2 pack iphone headsets. (and an 84000 feedback)

If I only saw something like this once I'd think it was just a typo in the listing but several times I've seen very cheap, popular things that have bunches of sellers and listings (like screen protectors) sometimes priced WAY high. Are they hoping you'll see all the other sellers $3 price and get it in your head that $3 is what screen protectors cost and click "buy" on theirs without noticing?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 1, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Wagonburner posted:

If I only saw something like this once I'd think it was just a typo in the listing but several times I've seen very cheap, popular things that have bunches of sellers and listings (like screen protectors) sometimes priced WAY high. Are they hoping you'll see all the other sellers $3 price and get it in your head that $3 is what screen protectors cost and click "buy" on theirs without noticing?

They're hoping that someone bleary eyed and low on sleep will click on their listing thinking it's the phone they're trying to actually buy.

Or that when people click by price to find the phone they're trying to buy, they'll be reminded about screen protectors.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ibroxmassive posted:

They're hoping that someone bleary eyed and low on sleep will click on their listing thinking it's the phone they're trying to actually buy.

Or that when people click by price to find the phone they're trying to buy, they'll be reminded about screen protectors.

What kind of retarded buyer would actually pay though when it came time to look at the invoice?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wagonburner posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Anti-Gla...#ht_2406wt_1344

Most other sellers seem to be set on about $3 for a 3 pack of no-name screen guards. Look at his items for sale, sort by price, he's got a bunch of $200 screen protectors, a $500 evo charger cradle and $400 2 pack iphone headsets. (and an 84000 feedback)

LOL, scroll down a bit and you see this:

quote:

Retail Value: $29.99
There's no way he's serious about the $199, given that little bit of info and his selling history (he's sold 180 of the same item for $4-$5, with one curious bid for $99 a month and a half ago)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading this just now and remembering the days of the moral panic surrounding video games, and it got me thinking, where are we now on moral panic? I don't watch TV news anymore and that is mostly its domain, so I am out of the loop. As far as I know, over my lifetime it went:

rap music -> video games -> the internet -> cellphones (sexting!!) -> social networking sites -> ?

I mean, we can't really be living in a post-moral-panic world can we? As far as I know it is an inherent and immutable part of the human condition. Mothers have to be able to yell "someone please think of the children!!" about something right?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 1, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was reading this just now and remembering the days of the moral panic surrounding video games, and it got me thinking, where are we now on moral panic? I don't watch TV news anymore and that is mostly its domain, so I am out of the loop. As far as I know, over my lifetime it went:

rap music -> video games -> the internet -> cellphones (sexting!!) -> social networking sites -> ?

I mean, we can't really be living in a post-moral-panic world can we? As far as I know it is an inherent and immutable part of the human condition. Mothers have to be able to yell "someone please think of the children!!" about something right?

We're still in the social networking phase. Next will be when we can plug into the Matrix and have to deal with underage sextrixing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

We're still in the social networking phase. Next will be when we can plug into the Matrix and have to deal with underage sextrixing.
I thought that that kind of died down because adults use facebook and stuff too. Part of the rules for moral panic is it has to be something that those drat kids are all into that adults don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought that that kind of died down because adults use facebook and stuff too. Part of the rules for moral panic is it has to be something that those drat kids are all into that adults don't understand.

That a lot of adults use Facebook makes the rest of the social-networking sites even more polarized: "Facebook is okay, but Twitter and Plurk are hives of scum and villainy."