Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That fighting game looks gorgeous, I'm a bit disappointed there doesn't seem to be a FEMC for P4 though.

Thought that disappointment is eliminated when I see its the actual animations and characters instead of the storybook crap P3 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Baalster posted:

At least it would be fun and gain a better reputation for the series than "Robot sexual innuendo."

I know you guys are too cool to like certain aspects of the game, but those aspects are the reason they were able to remake it twice and sell nearly combined million copies. I guess it's like democracy, there always has to be some vocal minority crying out against what works for everyone else.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I hope they stop taking any game they make seriously. I get way more enjoyment out of the silliness that was Dote Up a Robot, Anime Scooby Doo, and Push Blocks, Get Bitches than the SMT style games. I know that makes me an outlier but whatever. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justice posted:

I know you guys are too cool to like certain aspects of the game, but those aspects are the reason they were able to remake it twice and sell nearly combined million copies. I guess it's like democracy, there always has to be some vocal minority crying out against what works for everyone else.

That "everyone else" happens to be the same people who are jumping with joy for the bath scene being animated.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Justice posted:

I thought, "Heh, lookit these nerds" was your schtick. :confused:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Yeah, it's almost like games weren't made for you personally :ironicat:

Of course, if the game has too much material 'unsuitable for a western audience' it won't be localized anyway. No use worrying about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

The Aigis robo-finger scene just sorta creeped me out. If I'm a bad fan for that then I guess I'm a bad fan!

EDIT: Also if games like Record of Agarest War and Ar Tonelico got translated, this would pretty much need a hardcore sex scene to not get translated.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justice posted:

Yeah, it's almost like games weren't made for you personally :ironicat:

I guess I'm a bad fan for not liking the awful fanservice, excuse me.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, sorry, the Aigis scene was loving creepy, and the creepiest thing in P4, social link wise, was probably Devil.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It always felt like to me that SMT fans are nearly too protective of the SMT/Atlus name and deride anything that is even remotely fanservice/sexual/what have you in a lot more aggressive way.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
I'm playing Innocent Sin (Have already played 3 and 4), and the start of this game feels really REALLY rushed, like I should already know a lot of things.

I'm just a couple hours in and there are demons everywhere and people who can summon them, and everyone is just like "oh that's cool" - I had to double check I wasn't playing the sequel? Am I missing something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Considering that is after they meet Joker and see their demon, you should not be missing anything. After seeing an evil clown bastard appear from cell phones and some monsters fighting for you, I think a regular demon wouldn't surprise anyone.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It always felt like to me that SMT fans are nearly too protective of the SMT/Atlus name and deride anything that is even remotely fanservice/sexual/what have you in a lot more aggressive way.

But strangely, this is entirely unique to the western fans.

I think what gets me the most is that a lot of you have no clue how increasingly unlikely it was that this series ever came to the English-speaking world in the first place. Persona 1 was not handled well at all, only the second half of Persona 2 was released and it was still just a tiny niche title. Persona 3 sold far beyond all expectations, and then Persona 4 was another valley (in sales, not in quality).

The thing is, the games are not designed with a non-Japanese audience in mind whatsoever. Each game that comes out with more and more specialized catering makes it less and less likely that the game will be popular over here, much less make any sense.

Localizing common Japanese pop-culture phenomena that have no precedent in English is hard and pretty much all we get in return is a paycheck and endless "why did they think that was a good idea? :downswords:" on every medium of feedback.

It's depressing :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fanservice helping sales doesn't make fanservice good and pure and right.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It could also be that some people (I am in this camp) get legit creeped out by the all-underage casts of P3/4 doing some closer-and-closer-to-sexual things in these games. (I haven't played Catherine so I can't say poo poo on that one.) Assing in new scenes each time they come back around isn't winning me over worth a drat in this regard, especially given some of the other extremes certain Japanese titles are going to (see again: Ar Tonelico, Agarest War, etc.) and worrying games I like are gonna fall into that trap.

I mean, Strange Journey sold well, right? That would be cool, to get some more sci-fi style SMT. Please?

edit: I walk away to help someone in Dredmor and someone said it better. Oh well.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 1, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
re: Endorph, No one is claiming that falling back on "sex sells" is the moral high ground, but it lines the pockets and ensures that games continue to be made. :shobon:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I honestly don't even know what this argument is about anymore.

Fighting game looks awesome except that 90% of people online will be playing as Chie because gently caress yeah Chie.

Disappointed that there's no FMC route in P4G, I'm hoping that they'll add enough extra content to the game for it to still be worth spending another 80+ hours of my life playing through it again. I normally don't replay games at all (let alone freaking immense ones like P3/4) but the additions to P3P made it worthwhile so I hope they keep up the quality here.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
How will Atlus sell any games without Animated Six Year Old Bath Scenes? Sex sells, but who's buying? (pedophiles i guess) :v:

vvvv Yeah, i think so, but out of aaaall the scenes to animate, they chose THAT one. Making something creepy creepier.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 1, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Am I mistaken or wasn't there already a scene in P4 in some sort of bath house or whatever?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know what we're arguing about. I'm saying that I don't like the fanservice and it seems to me like Justice is saying that I should just deal with it and not complain because it sells the game or something like that but I'm sure that's not the point he's trying to make, so I'm confused.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010

Technique posted:

How will Atlus sell any games without Animated Six Year Old Bath Scenes? Sex sells, but who's buying? (pedophiles i guess) :v:

A true Persona fan would have sexed up Ken! But goddamn those Western audiences and their reluctance to accept pedophilia. :argh:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's a good point, you'll still buy it anyway.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Can't I just complain about the things I find culturally jarring, but it still be understood that I and accept and even love the game as a whole?

If we're complaining about Japanese anime game attitudes in sex in general, my personal belief is that Japan is more sexually open than the United States (can't say much about Western culture), which is good and admirable from the perspective here. BUT they go into creepy territory because of some of the things that are permitted or turned a blind eye too. That's more like an aspect of cultures in general. I mean, just turn it around and analyze the United State's attitude towards the acceptable levels of violence and misanthropy in entertainment.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Am I mistaken or wasn't there already a scene in P4 in some sort of bath house or whatever?

There was. Several, if you include all of Kanji's dungeon. But now apparently it (the latter one in the real world, which was already creepy enough) will be animated.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yes but it was unanimated and low in fanservice content outside of more "Naoto is awesome, here let's explain why!!" bullshit.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 1, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm just going to say that just because I hate the fanservice does not mean I don't like the game, I was just very jarred by it and don't think it should be animated but whatever.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Justice posted:

That's a good point, you'll still buy it anyway.

People can still hate certain parts of games while liking the game as a whole. In this case it's robot fingerbanging and pedophilia!

I still bought P3P after hearing about Ken's S. Link, and I'll still buy P4G when it comes out (if I get a Vita) even with the goofy new character and the animated scenes. That won't stop me from griping about it to any nearby nerds, though.

I'm mildly excited for the fighting game, half for the "what the gently caress" factor and half because I like Arcsys fighters. I just hope it's actually balanced. How they're handing Blazblue isn't exactly giving me faith :smith:

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

Justice posted:

Yeah, Persona is a franchise that doesn't have a hard enough time being taken seriously. What it really needs is an unbalanced joke of a fighting game to really drive the point home.

Man, ever since Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Mario Kart, nobody takes Sonic seriously anymore. But seriously, I don't think anybody is really offended by crappy spin-off games. People recognize when something like the Silent Hill arcade shooter isn't a main line Silent Hill game and shouldn't be taken as such.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Breaking News: Atlus announces Nocturne remake, Demifiend can now date Angel, Lilith, and Nekomata, among others!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm holding out for Scathach.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would much rather date Nyx, sir.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Technique posted:

vvvv Yeah, i think so, but out of aaaall the scenes to animate, they chose THAT one. Making something creepy creepier.

Wasn't the promoted feature "animated scenes" as in plural?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Technique posted:

Breaking News: Atlus announces Nocturne remake, Demifiend can now date Angel, Lilith, and Nekomata, among others!
What if I want a MC with a breast fetish and wants to date Satan? Hopefully, that'll be in the DLC, or I'll have to resort to fanart and fanfiction.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Catalina posted:

What if I want a MC with a breast fetish and wants to date Satan? Hopefully, that'll be in the DLC, or I'll have to resort to fanart and fanfiction.

If he had a breast fetish, he'd date Diana.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Fanservice in Persona Team games? Catherine takes it to a whole new, dumb level.Non main-plotline spoilers, though stuff isn't really explained in this video.

Have I mentioned that I dislike a few things (the writing, the writing, lord almighty the writing) about Catherine? Because I do.

Hoping future games are not full of creepy poo poo and written well, cause I'm dumb.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Technique posted:

Pixie is the only one for the demi-fiend. She stayed with you from the beginning to the very end, unlike some other "friends" :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You guys seem to be drawing an awful lot of conclusions about this animated bath scene based on a single screenshot. Not to say that the implications aren't creepy but it's not like it confirms pedo pantyshots of Nanako or something. It could be a two-second still for all we know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Pixie is the only one for the demi-fiend. She stayed with you from the beginning to the very end, unlike some other "friends" :colbert:

She even gets her own room if you carry her through the whole game with you, it's pretty much canon guys.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Ryanbomber posted:

People can still hate certain parts of games while liking the game as a whole. In this case it's robot fingerbanging and pedophilia!

I still bought P3P after hearing about Ken's S. Link, and I'll still buy P4G when it comes out (if I get a Vita) even with the goofy new character and the animated scenes. That won't stop me from griping about it to any nearby nerds, though.

I'm mildly excited for the fighting game, half for the "what the gently caress" factor and half because I like Arcsys fighters. I just hope it's actually balanced. How they're handing Blazblue isn't exactly giving me faith :smith:
Just finished P3P as a male. I saw no fingerfucking or pedophilia. what the heck are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit, I'm kind of creeped out that "Six year old standing completely unremarkably in a towel" somehow is coming across as sexual to people. I guess I'm just not seeing this immense fanservice based on the screenshot.