Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
This is all going to end up like Dead Space isn't it? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Bird aliens in Bird mechs incoming you are doomed.

What are they going to try and ram Goonstar with Land-Air Mechs? :smug:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
There is no winning this scenario for the clan pilots. They can only hope that their sacrifice prevents a greater tragedy from unfolding.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

What are they going to try and ram Goonstar with Land-Air Mechs? :smug:

We can only hope because that would be hilarious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No matter the consequences of 'Infected', I took down two characters from Far Country. I think I can retire with honour, even if I don't survive the battle. Took a few scratches too, so it might be wise for me to back off anyway. Maybe the infection is for getting too close to one of the Vost lance? They were kind of rushing straight at us, I thought that was weird.

By my guess I could make it to 0807 in one run (directly behind an enemy mech, invisible to the others) and unload at point blank range into back armour, but with ninjas everywhere I'm kind of afraid of dying. If I passed through an ambush hex would I even be allowed to finish my attack, or would my orders fizzle out at wherever I get jumped?

*edit* Oh, I got the knockout blow on Holly. Dibs. You know, unless delusional, green fire, and infected add up to something less than bondsman-salvageable.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 31, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Clangoon is Infected. The DCMS pilots are listed as Delusional... Anyone else getting H. P. Lovecraft vibes? There are things man was not meant to see...

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
If you run into an ambush you have 10 machine guns available to turn on the ambushers.

Also, if the infection is spread by being next to an infested person, running up to the enemy would get you away from your teammates and keep them hypothetically safe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is that how ambushes work? I figured if I stepped into a DEST square they could freeze me (possibly in the open) and unleash their deadly ninjutsu and I couldn't do anything in retailation. If I can opt to open up on them with 10 machine guns then yeah the Piranha's probably the ideal ninja-hunter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm betting this whole infection thing is the result of a brain fungus that causes you to hallucinate being in Far Country, thus explaining that book away as mental illness.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm pretty sure it was taking damage which triggers it. That is, your armor got breached and now your atmosphere is tainted by bird flu.

So, if the rest of GoonLanceStar can avoid getting hit by anything, you'll probably avoid the plague.

Good luck with that!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm betting this whole infection thing is the result of a brain fungus that causes you to hallucinate being in Far Country, thus explaining that book away as mental illness.

It was certainly would explain alot of things about how it was written :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

jng2058 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was taking damage which triggers it. That is, your armor got breached and now your atmosphere is tainted by bird flu.

So, if the rest of GoonLanceStar can avoid getting hit by anything, you'll probably avoid the plague.

Good luck with that!

The other members of Vost Lance haven't been hit yet and they're still suffering from delusions, so that isn't it. Still, getting infected can't be good for anyone involved.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

jng2058 posted:

Good luck with that!

Yep, that was my take on it as well.

Dolash, you might as well 'tank' and draw fire for the rest of the star now, seeing as every shot that is fired at an already infected member removes one chance of developing additional infections.

If you coordinate this well, it might even work to the star's advantage.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm calling V2. It's a good time for someone to demonstrate the dangers of recklessness.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

In case you couldn't tell, I'm on V3.

Steal your CO's kill and face the terrifying consequences (she will write unflattering things about you in an after-action report that no one will read).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mary Annette posted:

Steal your CO's kill and face the terrifying consequences (she will write unflattering things about you in an after-action report that no one will read).

It's worse - her CO will read it and cackle gleefully that his plan to make her life miserable for refusing to dance with him at the GoonClan Autumn Social when they were fresh out of the creche is working. And no one will be able to call bullshit on him because he is the proud inheritor of the Neckbeard Bloodname.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Mary Annette posted:

I think you're thinking of a Draconis Combine commander.

In the Clans, the consequences of killstealing your CO's target involve a Trial of Grievance in a Circle of Equals.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's worse - her CO will read it and cackle gleefully that his plan to make her life miserable for refusing to dance with him at the GoonClan Autumn Social when they were fresh out of the creche is working. And no one will be able to call bullshit on him because he is the proud inheritor of the Neckbeard Bloodname.

Suddenly clan society all makes sense. Nicolas Kerensky just never got over high school!

Three targets are spoken for! I guess you other two are hunting for dezgra samurai-ninja birds or whatever.

vvvv Just go waste time and jump in the pond or something. Claim you think you saw a bird there. Get up, get down with the sickness, and so on.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 1, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mary Annette posted:

There's probably ninjas in those woods and I'm apparently infected with alien-bird-seeing delusions, and I'm still tempted to end-run around V3 and shred his torso section from behind just to glory in stealing all kills from everybody forever.

gently caress... this is hard. Death-or-glory into the back of a Medium, or back off and hope insanity isn't catching?

Edit-

A good poster posted:

I'm calling V2. It's a good time for someone to demonstrate the dangers of recklessness.

This is a good idea. You have slighty more SRMs, I think more armour, and even if you lose that fight the enemy should come out of it nice and fragile for one of us to take down. Eating those two locust should really help us press a number advantage in the mech fight.

Oh, can someone explain how ambushes work again? Might help me in deciding my death-or-glory decision - if I'm just going to get pegged by ninjas and blown up, bleh.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2011

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think you're thinking of a Draconis Combine commander.

In the Clans, the consequences of killstealing your CO's target involve a Trial of Grievance in a Circle of Equals.

I think between our playstyles and PTN's fluff, we've established that

a: Inari tries to be a "good Clanner", but she's not very good at it.

b: Her starmates don't care all that much about being "good Clanners", and they are very, very good at it.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Going to point out again that the text on our ninja's reads 'hidden until they attack' not 'hidden while in woods.'

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well yeah, but consider that they probably started somewhere near the enemy mechs and have been inching in our direction ever since. That would mean that every turn the space in which it is unsafe to range within expands.

Also, since it looks like neither us nor the enemy feels comfortable crossing that clearing, it wouldn't surprise me that they'd deploy their three mechs there on one side of the clearing with their three infantry units stationed next to them in support for JUST such an occasion where a short-range attacker like me tries to bum-rush them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Here's a thought. Maybe there was something there, you just hallucinated it was a bird....

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

...RUN! RUN! RUN AWAAAAAAY!

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Well, having clanners shooting at imaginary enemies sounds like a fun way to waste a turn.

I kind of expect that when the infection spreads, everyone will turn delusional and suddenly everything will be marked differently and inaccurately.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Frankly, it'd seem like having sickie over there get ninja stabbed after unloading on rear armor would be for the best. I mean, it'd reduce the risk of spreading the plague and reveal one ninja team for the other piranha to annihilate.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Tran posted:

Frankly, it'd seem like having sickie over there get ninja stabbed after unloading on rear armor would be for the best. I mean, it'd reduce the risk of spreading the plague and reveal one ninja team for the other piranha to annihilate.

I concur. After PoptartsNinja's fluff text I've changed my mind so as to think of it as rather in-character, too; Those freebirths don't seem to give a poo poo about their poor commanding officer's orders, since this is their only opportunity to prove their merit against the more respected trueborn competition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe this infection has something to do with that magnetic anomaly.

Tell me, are Holodecks lostech? And who is this strange grey ridge-faced fellow running around on the map and why is he being so damned reasonable at us? Are you guys not seeing this?

Why is plasma green all of a sudden, I thought the Capellans weren't supposed to develop that for another couple of decades.

EDIT: Oh hey forgot my :tinfoil: hat

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 1, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This planet is a nest of horror. After Sea Fox deals with the enemy they should glass it from orbit. Afterwards there will be fried chicken to plunder.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
If Captain Korvat is running around out there loving with Goonstar, they should just run for the woods now. Not that it will do them any good, since chances are that Korvat's being there means that the U.S.S. Brutus is, too, with sensors that put everything the Clans have ever invented to shame, not to mention technologies they simply flat-out lack, like deflector shields, directed particle-beam weapons with ranges measured in hundreds of thousands of kilometers, and transporters.

I think you should take your tinfoil hat off. Korvat has better things to do with his time than mindscrew random Clanners, like blaming everything on Admiral Janeway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Korvat has better things to do with his time

That he does. Like teaching a group of uppity Red Squad cadets how to be useful, effective officers rather than a pack of elitist know-nothings.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really would like for Vice Admiral Reinhardt Steiner to have more adventures, as well, but Cryptic has not helped. Not that the ground engine didn't need a complete overhaul.

Anyway when that happens he'll come out of the resort program in the holosuite (that has it's own holosuite inside in case he gets tired of the first program).

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

That he does. Like teaching a group of uppity Red Squad cadets how to be useful, effective officers rather than a pack of elitist know-nothings.

Um...

I can think of many better things he could spend his time doing than playing traditional Cardassian Mind Games on a bunch of Clanners...

I am not convinced that is one of them. Wouldn't his time be better spent arranging for said group of uppity Red Squad elitist know-it-alls to have a tragic airlock accident?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I am not convinced that is one of them. Wouldn't his time be better spent arranging for said group of uppity Red Squad elitist know-it-alls to have a tragic airlock accident?

Quite probably, yes.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I really would like for Vice Admiral Reinhardt Steiner to have more adventures, as well, but Cryptic has not helped. Not that the ground engine didn't need a complete overhaul.

Anyway when that happens he'll come out of the resort program in the holosuite (that has it's own holosuite inside in case he gets tired of the first program).

Oh really? Hmmm.

Perhaps Goonfleet will have to fly again. If you ever head back, poke me and I might pony up some ca$hmonie$ to Cryptic and Vice Admiral Caitlin O'Shea might just undock from Drozana Station where she's been busy trying to convince random Starfleet and Klingon crews that each other aren't all that bad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think you should take your tinfoil hat off.

Alright, I'm overreacting. Just gimme a minute to fix my hahaha you actually thought you had me fooled!

I'm not like the others, I am on to you birdpope!

Trust no one! Except Mechwarrior Nioclas, he seems perfectly on the level and his judgment does not appear to be impaired in any capacity.

Why no my outburst was not just a flimsy excuse to post a terrible shop why do you ask

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Quite probably, yes.

Airlock accidents happen with rather surprising regularity. However, they're not usually fatal.

After all, even if the airlock itself opens, the backup air-containment field should remain in place, with absolutely no threat to the occupant's lives.

And even if the field fails to go up, those persons inside should be in no danger of immediate suffocation, given the ready availability of one-piece emergency breathing apparatus on the overhead shelves, and it's not as if a depressurizing airlock would generate enough suction to pull more than loose sheets of paper out into space.

And, even should the unthinkably unlikely happen; the inertial dampeners malfunction and generate a sudden 8g-locus straight out the door, yanking everyone outside, there are automated systems to determine if a crewman has become suddenly detached from the hull and transport him inside.

And, should even that system fail, the crewmen in question need but to rapidly tap on their commbadge to trigger the emergency panic transport circuit and get beamed safely inside.

Really, when you think about it, a fatal airlock accident is a tragic accident of unlikely proportions; a real "perfect storm" of mechanical and electronic failures that nobody in the world could have predicted would all strike simultaneously.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Dolash posted:

Is that how ambushes work? I figured if I stepped into a DEST square they could freeze me (possibly in the open) and unleash their deadly ninjutsu and I couldn't do anything in retailation. If I can opt to open up on them with 10 machine guns then yeah the Piranha's probably the ideal ninja-hunter.

You can shoot ambushing infantry as long as they aren't at range 0.

This means that optimally, you're going to want to have the Pirahanas work in mutually-supporting pairs standing exactly one hex away from each other, so that any ambushers opening up on one Pirahna can be shot up by the other.

Basically, the reason the Clans use A-Pods is because they work in single units and fight single combat most of the time. The IS can just give mechs a couple of anti-infantry weapons and have them work close to each other. Since you are really, really bad Clanners, you can play like the Spheroids.

Also, giant birds oh god what.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Alright, I'm overreacting. Just gimme a minute to fix my hahaha you actually thought you had me fooled!

I'm not like the others, I am on to you birdpope!

Eeeehh!

I am torn between making further sounds of horror and surprise, and spending :somebux: to make that my new avatar and sub-av blurb line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

gently caress... this is hard. Death-or-glory into the back of a Medium, or back off and hope insanity isn't catching?

You're playing a Clanner and you have to question on if a death-or-glory attack is a good idea or not?

KILL THEM ALL. :black101:

• Locked thread