Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ummm... Boba Fett's voice was replaced by Jango Fett's voice in the 2004 DVD release.

drat, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Being such a big fan, surely you're aware that Lucas did not direct Empire or Jedi. How are those two "his movies," and what gives him the right to tamper with another director's work?

Yes Lord Condescending, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that from an intellectual property standpoint he owns the whole kit and caboodle. I know of no evidence that Kershner or Marquand were under any illusions about their "ownership" of the films.

Are you arguing that the guy who invented the loving thing has no rights to it if he doesn't get a particular credit or do a particular job? Since when do any but the most powerful and successful directors have complete ownership or control over their work? You're loving kidding, right?

This doesn't mean that what Lucas is doing isn't disrespectful to the many artists and craftsmen who worked on the originals. In fact, he's being a massive dick since he's withholding the versions that they worked on. But "no right" to change them? What planet do you live on?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Preorder loving canceled.

Maybe I'll grab it when it gets on a black friday sale or something, but I have no desire to spend 90 dollars on this when not much care has been shown to it.

The LotR extended set is still probably one of the best bluray trilogy/anthology sets (as well as the Aliens one)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Trump posted:

Like it or not, but when he changed that Greedo shot first there was a reason,

The problem with his "reason" for changing this is that it's completely irrational. Forget for a moment that it takes away from Solo's characterization as a badass rogue. What he did to Greedo was 100% moral and would be considered legal virtually anywhere in the goddamned universe.

Imagine if we take that scene and make it a restaurant on Earth and it's security camera footage. If guy A has pulled and is aiming a gun at guy B, that's sufficient justification for the use of deadly force. Add on that guy A tells him that he's about to loving shoot him ("I've been looking forward to THIS for a long time," "this" being killing him), and Han isn't an amoral rogue, he's just a guy who saved his own life.

As for the new, "Noooo," this is just indicative of a man who has gone artistically tone deaf. I can't believe Spielberg or Coppola haven't called him and said, "Are you loving stupid?"

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

Wanna read something depressing?

Someone needs to send Lucasfilm about a thousand copies of this so that maybe one manages to make it to Jorge's desk.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's hilarious to me that some of you believed there wouldn't be alterations.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Alec Eiffel posted:

It's hilarious to me that some of you believed there wouldn't be alterations.

The problem isn't that we were surprised he once again altered the movies. That is to be expected at this point. It's that the alterations themselves are absolutely terrible, and one is a terrible rehash of a universally hated line inserted right into one of the most memorable scenes of the entire series.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Geez, all Lucas has to do is include both the original cuts and the re-edits. That's all. I'm going to hold out until the last moment in case there's a revelation, but it's essentially cancelled. Not as much due to being somehow intolerant despite the edits on the 1997 and 2004 editions, but to join the support.

It's just dumb at this point in video technology. Steven Spielberg considers the 1977 and 1980 cuts of Close Encounters to be "junk" compared to his director's cut, yet allows all three on Blu-Ray fully restored and remastered. Francis Ford Coppola made Apocalypse Now available in both of its cuts, plus in original theatrical framing.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 1, 2011

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Still laughing at the sounds Obi Wan makes to scare off the Sand People. HOLY poo poo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW *DUBSTEP INTRO*

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 1, 2011

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Agreeing with everyone else who says this is the last straw. I didn't pre-order these, but if I did, I would definitely be cancelling now. And I really don't do that for just about anything. Most of the other changes, you know, I could talk up a storm about how bad they are but at the end of the day, they didn't actually make the movies significantly worse. But this really does. (Even the new song in Jabba's palace was just a relatively brief embarrassment that replaced something nonessential.) This is the first change that legitimately offends me as a viewer and makes it difficult to enjoy what was, until now, even with all the other stupid changes, a completely perfect and iconic scene.

I mean dammit, George, you've already had three shots at perfecting this movie to suit your "vision" and apparently you didn't find it necessary for him to yell "NOOOOOO" back then. What the hell changed this time?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I can't believe Spielberg or Coppola haven't called him and said, "Are you loving stupid?"

Don't know about Spielberg, but Coppola (and Brian De Palma) has definitely told Lucas that on many occasions dating back when Lucas screened a rough cut to his friends back before SW's release, though Coppola's more in the "stop making these dumb rear end Star Wars movies and get back to making movies you're actually passionate about" camp.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean dammit, George, you've already had three shots at perfecting this movie to suit your "vision" and apparently you didn't find it necessary for him to yell "NOOOOOO" back then. What the hell changed this time?
I don't wanna quote myself, so I'll just say I explored this in depth at the bottom of the last page.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

maniacripper posted:

Still laughing at the sounds Obi Wan makes to scare off the Sand People. HOLY poo poo!

You too will believe a Wilhelm scream can be used as a plot element.

Edit: Oh and I have to say how terrible the CGI Ewok eyes look. It just takes you out of the scene because it looks like it doesn't even belong, the CGI just stands out.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 1, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Just had a friend who has partaken way to much of the George Lucas koolaid tell me that the change is good and makes the scene more emotional. He then called me a Lucas basher when, honestly, I'm the furthest thing from it.

:psyduck:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Good thing I decided to read this thread again and can cancel my preorder.

At least I'll always have these

Until the tapes wear out and break.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For all those wondering why Lucas doesn't include the original versions in the release - they don't physically exist anymore:

quote:

What this tells us is that Lucas wasn't lying—the original copy of Star Wars is, in fact, gone. What exists in its place is a composite film that has been restored and spliced together with Special Edition scenes and sections from other, later prints.
Yes, it's possible to reassemble the original movies from other sources, but it's a lot more complicated and costly than just scanning the movies again.

Also from the article (written in 2010):

quote:

The inevitable Blu-ray copy of the movies will likely be safe from further meddling.
Heh.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

david_a posted:

Yes, it's possible to reassemble the original movies from other sources, but it's a lot more complicated and costly than just scanning the movies again.
Given the (justified) crying and screaming that goes on with each release, you'd think he'd ask, "How much would you pay for me to rebuild the original releases?"

Although at this point, who would trust him?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

My uncle has those. It's how I first saw Star Wars. I should see if he'd be foolish enough to part with them.

Then buy a VHS player.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What's really sad is we'll have entire generations of kids growing up, without every being able to see the original Star Wars (in a legal form) and they also will never know of VHS.

poo poo, we already have kids growing up, knowing the prequel trilogy as their 'intro' into Star Wars.

And some of them say it's their favorite set!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

What's really sad is we'll have entire generations of kids growing up, without every being able to see the original Star Wars (in a legal form) and they also will never know of VHS.

poo poo, we already have kids growing up, knowing the prequel trilogy as their 'intro' into Star Wars.

And some of them say it's their favorite set!

The less people walking around thinking that Star Wars is some type of cinematic masterpiece, the better.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

The problem isn't that we were surprised he once again altered the movies. That is to be expected at this point. It's that the alterations themselves are absolutely terrible, and one is a terrible rehash of a universally hated line inserted right into one of the most memorable scenes of the entire series.

THIS.

The whole "what? did you not expect more changes?" thing is kind of missing the point. I think most people expected minor changes at this point, and figured he had already made all the BAD changes that were really possible to make. We weren't considering that he would go and make obvious "in your face" changes like the NOOOOOOOOO! in Jedi to either piss people off intentionally, or he is actually that retarded and thinks it makes the scene better.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

For all those wondering why Lucas doesn't include the original versions in the release - they don't physically exist anymore:

Also from the article (written in 2010):

Heh.

While the image quality wouldn't be nearly as good, the 35mm interpositives made in 1985 are more than acceptable for new HD scans. At worst, they would need to have more attention to dirt/scratch removal, but no different from any other 1970s/1980s film normally sourced from an IP for video.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

While the image quality wouldn't be nearly as good, the 35mm interpositives made in 1985 are more than acceptable for new HD scans. At worst, they would need to have more attention to dirt/scratch removal, but no different from any other 1970s/1980s film normally sourced from an IP for video.

Exactly. This excuse that they originals do not exist is passive aggressive bullshit from Lucas.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
After the Godfather restoration, anything is possible.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm so glad that I'm not a big Star Wars fan, because this is insanity. Is Lucas a slave to some major OCD, where he's convinced that the films aren't clean enough so he has to keep continually scrubbing them until they disintegrate? It's just so bizarre.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Aren't those fullscreen? I'd much rather watch the films with lovely changes in widescreen than that (up to a point).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Aren't those fullscreen? I'd much rather watch the films with lovely changes in widescreen than that (up to a point).
Correct. The only way to watch anamorphic widescreen of the original star wars is through fan edits such as Despecialized and GOUT.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I think I'm going to get that copy out of the box of old VHS's I have and stick them beside my BD's.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You know, I've never even seen these movies and the extra "Nooooo" is still really stupid.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Egbert Souse posted:

There are hundreds of archived copies around the world. I know that these are "just" normal 35mm copies, but with the amount of money and time Lucas has put into the OT since 97, he could have made some pristine restorations if he wanted to. Instead we get this poo poo...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

maniacripper posted:

I'd buy a set if it had a relatively original copy (like with just minor cleanup fixes) and an all out LUCASFIED version with ridiculous poo poo like this all over the place.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Kinda torn on Star Wars because I really want to see all of the behind the scenes stuff, but have no interest in the prequels as movies and the originals because they've been messed around with so much.

Maybe one day I'll get a used copy so at least Lucas won't directly get any of my cash.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

ApexAftermath posted:

THIS.

The whole "what? did you not expect more changes?" thing is kind of missing the point. I think most people expected minor changes at this point, and figured he had already made all the BAD changes that were really possible to make. We weren't considering that he would go and make obvious "in your face" changes like the NOOOOOOOOO! in Jedi to either piss people off intentionally, or he is actually that retarded and thinks it makes the scene better.

I think Obi-Wan's krayt dragon yell is laughably bad, but I could live with it because it's really not that important (despite being Obi-Wan's reintroduction in the OT). But Vader's new "NO" nonsense comes at the emotional climax - not only of the film, but of the entire series. It fundamentally changes the way the scene plays and the way the viewer perceives reacts to it, and it does so almost 30 years after the fact. It just doesn't make sense on any level, and it certainly doesn't make any sense to change it now.

For most of the day yesterday, I honestly thought this whole thing was a joke. The krayt dragon thing seemed so poorly done and executed that it couldn't possibly be professional, and the new Vader stuff was like another web video making fun of the ROTS "Nooooooooo!" joke. I couldn't believe it when these changes were confirmed by Lucasfilm. The whole thing is just sad and embarrassing.

Beyond the new additions, I think I'm actually even more irritated by all the reports that so many of the things Lucasfilm has recently promised were "fixed" evidently weren't even touched. There are still tons of garbage matte lines, inconsistent colors with the lightsabers, and other technical issues introduced in the 2004 DVD set. Lucasfilm has repeatedly assured fans that these things had been improved or corrected for the Blu-ray set, but it sure doesn't seem to be the case.

Star Wars on Blu-ray should have been a sure-thing. It should have been something to look forward to. Instead, now it's just a big joke. What a waste.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That's the second time they've messed with Ben Kenobi's Krayt Dragon impression then. It was bad enough when they changed it in 2004 to sound like a car alarm, this flamboyant homosexual scream isn't exactly an improvement.

Vader saying "Do not want" at the end of Jedi is loving ridiculous though. That's the best part of Jedi, it's the emotional high point of the entire end of the saga. It's especially important as Jedi isn't actually that great a film overall. Last time I watched the trilogy (original versions of course) I found Star Wars and Empire still to be as magical as all the other times I saw them. Jedi ... well, when you take the rose-tinted glasses off the first hour and fifteen minutes of Jedi are really kind of piss poor. Not terrible, but very patchy overall. It makes up for it with a loving barnstorming last 45 minutes in which the saga ends with a giant space battle, a cool ground battle, and a lightsaber fight that actually means something. Then Vader is redeemed, in a scene that showed even a plastic mask can somehow convey the deepest and most conflicted of emotions, and an evil man is once again, for a moment, back on the path of the good guys.

Now he's even pissed that away. gently caress.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hahahah, there's more changes. (duh)

That swarm of Tie Fighters... Hahahah

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 1, 2011

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
These stupid changes just make me think of that one episode of South Park.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Thank god for Netflix, I'll just rent the blu rays to see how bad it is, which will probably save me the hundred bucks. I just can't believe a grown man is that stupid. It reminds me of Kevin Smith talking about meeting Prince. He's just spent so much time living in Lucas land, that the whole rest of the world and any semblance of reality has faded away, and it's just himself and his ideas, and unfortunately he has the creative depth of a 7 year old.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

david_a posted:

And this is why that excuse is bullshit. Not only is it viable, it's relatively cheap.

It also makes no sense whatsoever, because the original negative has to exist in order to have the 1997 shots replaced with 2004 shots.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 1, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Trump posted:

There are hundreds of archived copies around the world. I know that these are "just" normal 35mm copies, but with the amount of money and time Lucas has put into the OT since 97, he could have made some pristine restorations if he wanted to. Instead we get this poo poo...

Theatrical prints are generally bad sources for HD. Contrast isn't great and none of the original '77 film prints are usable at this point.

Restorations are possible with a simply interpolation of the current camera negatives into a master of the 1985 interpositives. The original crawl for the '77 film exists at B negative still preserved at Lucasfilm. It's just a matter of whether you consider using re-composited (but not reshot) effects from the special editions to be valid restoration compared to cleaning up original composites, despite quality issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Surfingelectrode posted:

These stupid changes just make me think of that one episode of South Park.

I remember reading that Free Hat convinced Spielberg to not change Raiders. That may not be true, but it'd be awesome if it is. I'm just happy that the Indiana Jones trilogy made it out onto DVD unchanged.

*minus the glass between Harrison Ford/Karen Allen and the King Cobra. That one thing was changed.

• Locked thread