Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I had assumed the "new" changes were going to be more conservative... I was planning to buy the OT BluRays and avoid the whole set, but now I think I'm gonna stay happy with my Laserdisc rips and dodge this outright.

Without getting too spergy, I just don't want to buy something I don't want to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"We meet again, Obi-Wan. When I left you I was but a learner. Now I am the master."
"HYYYYYOOOOORNNNNNNGGG SPUKUNGRRRRRRUFFF BEEEEOOOOOP"

Not gonna lie, if 'Obi-Wan went completely insane between ROTS and ANH' became the new canon I would be totally ok with it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A talented goon needs to add that howl into tons of other Obi Wan scenes now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A talented goon needs to add that howl into tons of other Obi Wan scenes now.
Maybe just have him be talking normally at times, but randomly interjecting snippets of the howl.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 31, 2011

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

gently caress it, let's just go the Archer route and replace him in every scene with a velociraptor.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
For the longest time all I'd seen Alec Guinness in was Star Wars. I sort of knew he was an established actor before, but actually seeing him in Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge over the River Kwai was weird as gently caress. Highly recommended, though, he's an amazing actor.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 31, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Goodenough posted:

For the longest time all I'd seen Alec Guinnes in was Star Wars. I sort of knew he was an established actor before, but actually seeing him in Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge over the River Kwai was weird as gently caress. Highly recommended, though, he's an amazing actor.
Fun fact: Alec Guinness loving hated Star Wars.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fun fact: Alec Guinness loving hated Star Wars.

Yeah, I know, and I totally feel for the guy. To be best remembered for a summer blockbuster when you've worked on some truly great movies in the past must be a bit of a bummer.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Must put VHS and DVD copies of the trilogy into a safety deposit box, lest they be tainted.

I swear if anything ever happens to my DVD copies of the cinematic edits I'm going to completely lose it and end up spending a disgusting amount of money replacing them. Maybe by then George will have come to his senses / died and they'll release them on a newer format.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Yeah, I know, and I totally feel for the guy. To be best remembered for a summer blockbuster when you've worked on some truly great movies in the past must be a bit of a bummer.

I noticed with a lot of "hated" big movies that the actors can often hate the films themselves. Big example would be Robert Paterson. Christ, no one hates Twilight more than R-patz, I wish I could dislike the guy, because disliking him feels so good, but some of the really candid things he's said calling the author a creepy dork and calling his fans psychotic idiots is funny as hell. Are there any good clips of Guiness bitching about Star Wars?

Just in franchise scorn.
\/

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 31, 2011

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I noticed with a lot of "hated" big movies that the actors can often hate the films themselves. Big example would be Robert Paterson. Christ, no one hates Twilight more than R-patz, I wish I could dislike the guy, because disliking him feels so good, but some of the really candid things he's said calling the author a creepy dork and calling his fans psychotic idiots is funny as hell. Are there any good clips of Guiness bitching about Star Wars?

I'll admit, I'm not familiar with Paterson's opinion about the Twilight sequel, (and I don't doubt you) but I can honestly say I never in a million years thought I would ever see anyone compare Sir Alec Guinness to "R-Patz"

:stare:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEw5H_LSoQ

Holy cow Alec Guinness basically predicted the rise of the Geeky Star Wars loser.

quote:

But I just hope the lad, now in his thirties is not living in a fantasy world of second hand childish banalities.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEw5H_LSoQ

Holy cow Alec Guinness basically predicted the rise of the Geeky Star Wars loser.

I love hearing little bits like this. As much as I enjoy the franchise its really interesting to hear the actors thoughts on it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mister Roboto posted:

Apparently there's new audio being added to ROTJ:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9032

Someone placed the audio over a ROTJ clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaSxSuB2vY

May be fake.

Wow. If that's true, it's hilarious. Mainly because I told my brother I wouldn't buy the new box set because I knew Lucas would do something weird to them, and he said I was crazy. Sending him this link.

Even I didn't think he would do something this bad.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Man up until now I've been able to stomach changes, even hayden shitfaceson being at the end of RotJ, but I just... :negative:

I don't know if I can excuse these changes if they are real

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The sad part is that I've heard Mr. Guinness was the only one defending the movie on the set. Maybe because he honestly thought it was going to be good, but more likely out of a sense of professionalism, but still.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

The sad part is that I've heard Mr. Guinness was the only one defending the movie on the set. Maybe because he honestly thought it was going to be good, but more likely out of a sense of professionalism, but still.

I always had heard he was only doing it to cash the check, and imagined his thoughts of the movie were more along the lines of the SNL "Audition" sketch where Walter Matthau (Kevin Spacey) gets all pissy about "What the hell is a jawa?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Phylodox posted:

He probably saw it as the first movie was intended. It was a fun space adventure movie, something that would excite kids and awaken the kid inside of all adults. What I've heard soured Alec Guiness after that was the fandom and obsession that grew around the films. I think he felt everyone took these fun, silly movies far too seriously. Plus, yeah, when he filmed them he probably didn't think he was living out the first line in his obituary.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Video mixed with the audio of Obi Wan's new call:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw

I should be angry, but I can't stop laughing, because it's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. It's so FLAMBOYANT.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Behonkiss posted:

Video mixed with the audio of Obi Wan's new call:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw

I should be angry, but I can't stop laughing, because it's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. It's so FLAMBOYANT.

That's really cool. I always thought it was missing something and wondered why guys with pikes would be scared of a man hobbling up some rocks. The last second of the call sounds terrible but the rest of it sounds fitting for a dragon.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Did they get Ewan McGregor to record the new Obi-Wan audio?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

On Wednesday, a press representative for Lucasfilm confirmed that this change will be included in the Blu-ray release, writing in an email: “Yes—Darth says NO.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/lucasfilm-confirms-change-to-blu-ray-release-of-return-of-the-jedi/

:smith:

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.
I'm not getting the Blu-ray's anymore. That's a deal breaker, Lucas.

Time to break out the VHS tapes and do this properly.

George, you're breaking my heart! Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

thrawn527 posted:

He probably saw it as the first movie was intended. It was a fun space adventure movie, something that would excite kids and awaken the kid inside of all adults. What I've heard soured Alec Guiness after that was the fandom and obsession that grew around the films. I think he felt everyone took these fun, silly movies far too seriously. Plus, yeah, when he filmed them he probably didn't think he was living out the first line in his obituary.

Yeah I don't think Guiness hated Star Wars per se. He came back for 2 more sequels as a barely above a bit part, you don't do that for films you hate. He probably just grew resentful that this was what he was going to die being most known for when he was such a talented actor.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Another changed audio snippet over video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRd_vZT6zPY

I wish

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I don't think Guiness hated Star Wars per se. He came back for 2 more sequels as a barely above a bit part, you don't do that for films you hate. He probably just grew resentful that this was what he was going to die being most known for when he was such a talented actor.

He had some great roles but did anyone see Passage to India? I guess in the 80's it was still okay to have a white guy playing an Indian but it always just felt a little racist and I was surprised he even did it.

Also, with this NO business I don't think I'll be bothering with the blu-rays unless I catch the OT set on sale for $20 a decade from now. I know it's just expected at this point that Lucas makes the films worse with each release, but for the life of me I can't understand why.

Edit: I swear, what I really want is just my original VHS copies in HD with the blocky compositing in the space battles of ANH fixed. That's it! I'll pay!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

He had some great roles but did anyone see Passage to India? I guess in the 80's it was still okay to have a white guy playing an Indian but it always just felt a little racist and I was surprised he even did it.
Well he also played Hitler. :v:
No seriously.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I don't think Guiness hated Star Wars per se. He came back for 2 more sequels as a barely above a bit part, you don't do that for films you hate.

Then again, he may have been contractually obligated.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I don't think Guiness hated the movies. He hated the fans. So yes, he would hate this thread. :v:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I don't think Guiness hated the movies. He hated the fans. So yes, he would hate this thread. :v:

Maybe. On the other hand perhaps he would see the collective disdain for the widespread flaws in the franchise and appreciate us.

Wait probably not. After all, we're still here despite the flaws. :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torael_7 posted:

After all, we're still here

Barely. I haven't read anything besides Choices of One for a while and there's no loving way I'm buying the blu-rays.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Another changed audio snippet over video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRd_vZT6zPY

I wish

I would love a full comedy dub of Star Wars like that, as long as they put the effort into making the voices actually sound like the actors (like that did, great Guinness impression). And kept it like that - not over the top goofy rewriting, just enough to make you laugh.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
So the only ways to get the original completely unedited versions of newhope/empire/jedi are the laserdiscs and the limited edition 2006 dvds?
I've read that there is some sort of widescreen cropping issue with the dvds. I can easily get the laserdisc versions for cheap, should I?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

I staggered accross this online today..

"Do cu is a Portuguese phrase meaning "from the rear end" which is pronounced exactly like Dooku"

Thats right, suck on that!

Also, Naboo sounds like "Na bu" which means "in the rear end".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phylodox posted:

Then again, he may have been contractually obligated.

When A New Hope was filmed no one had a contract for future films since they didn't know if one would be made. I mean people like Mark did say they would sign on if the possibility was there, but nothing was sure. They actually were worried Harrison might not come back for ESB, then again for RotJ.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Llyr posted:

So the only ways to get the original completely unedited versions of newhope/empire/jedi are the laserdiscs and the limited edition 2006 dvds?
I've read that there is some sort of widescreen cropping issue with the dvds. I can easily get the laserdisc versions for cheap, should I?

The 2006 DVDs are not anamorphic widescreen, so they'll be in a tiny box, which you have to either live with or zoom in to get rid of. So they don't look all that great. But it's still better than all the poo poo that's added to any other version.

And the 2006 DVD versions are just rips of the laserdisc version. So it's basically the same no matter which you get. Unless you can get a higher quality rip of the laser disc than Lucasfilm did, that is.

edit: This explains the anamorphic widescreen issue better than I can: http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=22&p2_articleid=462

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This is what the DVD of the original version of Star Wars looks like on a widescreen TV:

If you zoom in to fill the screen it looks like crap, obviously, but it's not great even at this size. Issues like grain are a result of the film stock used back then and there are limits to how much they can be improved, but even the menus - which insultingly are in full 16:9 widescreen - look lovely as well. Basically, they just didn't care.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Its not like film cleanup and recoloring is a new thing - they did it for The Godfather, they can do it for loving Star Wars.
Just have to find a print of the original theatrical release that is in good condition, transfer it to a computer, get some good folks to do a frame-by-frame cleanup (basically recoloring washed out colors and "content aware fill" Photoshop tricks) and then bam, good restored version ready to print on DVDs and Blu-Ray.
But that won't happen because that takes effort.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

VanSandman posted:

Its not like film cleanup and recoloring is a new thing - they did it for The Godfather, they can do it for loving Star Wars.
Just have to find a print of the original theatrical release that is in good condition, transfer it to a computer, get some good folks to do a frame-by-frame cleanup (basically recoloring washed out colors and "content aware fill" Photoshop tricks) and then bam, good restored version ready to print on DVDs and Blu-Ray.
But that won't happen because that takes effort.

It won't happen because it takes time away from more IMPORTANT things. :colbert:

Hey guys, anyway you can CGI a better looking pitcher and cups for Aunt Beru's blue milk? It always bothered me that we didn't have the budget to add a space pitcher in there like I had always intended. And CGI some Tatooine Cookies (these were in the original script but were cut because the animatronics weren't finsihed in time.)

loving LOVE CGI, man :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I actually remember shortly after Episode III came out, when people were initially making fun of Vader's No Scream, someone put up on YouTube an edit of ROTJ scene with the No added to it.

I wonder if Lucas saw that, thought unironically it was a good addition, and decided to make it official his next chance.