Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Opus125 posted:

They take the fun out of conspicuous consumption.
If you want to overspend on your build and don't want someone to tell you that you're throwing away money, then why bother posting your rig and asking for suggestions in the first place? There's like a million forums out there where you can just post your specs and then everyone will tell you how impressive your sweet machine is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can even if you don't have SALR, as long as you have plat. Put threadid:[thread number] in the beginning of your search.

Whoa thanks for this, I had no idea. 7,554 hits for "headset" in this thread. :v:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Opus125 posted:

I think it just about breaks even. They get people like me to save a ton of money building a sensible computer so I can wander into the Steam thread and let that gaggle of loving enablers talk me into buying another stack of games I won't play.

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

I installed the directx 11 update for Crysis 2 the other day and it's started crashing. The monitor will stop getting any signal and I have to reboot my computer. This only happens in Crysis 2 but as that's the only directx 11 game on my PC at the moment I can't be sure if it's the game or the gpu (Gigabyte 560 ti OC, factory overclocked to 900mhz.) I did some googling and some people say that the voltages the card is running at are too slow and that I would need to increase them.

Is there any truth to that? How would I go about increasing the voltages? I have the most up to date nvidia drivers. I have to say I'm a little out of my depth :)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Blamethrower posted:

I installed the directx 11 update for Crysis 2 the other day and it's started crashing. The monitor will stop getting any signal and I have to reboot my computer.
Try hitting alt-enter to switch to windowed mode. I had that issue too, but it worked windowed, then it worked full-screen for a while, then it wouldn't. It comes and goes.

I'm using a 6970, for reference.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Blamethrower posted:

I installed the directx 11 update for Crysis 2 the other day and it's started crashing. The monitor will stop getting any signal and I have to reboot my computer. This only happens in Crysis 2 but as that's the only directx 11 game on my PC at the moment I can't be sure if it's the game or the gpu (Gigabyte 560 ti OC, factory overclocked to 900mhz.) I did some googling and some people say that the voltages the card is running at are too slow and that I would need to increase them.

Is there any truth to that? How would I go about increasing the voltages? I have the most up to date nvidia drivers. I have to say I'm a little out of my depth :)

Ok I remember reading something about this, you see using Directx11 along with tessellation and other goodies, really puts the card under full load. If your voltage isn't enough to support your overclock (which can happen even from a factory O/c card) then this could be causing the problem. I overclock my 590's and crysis 2 is very picky about when it will crash out, and I will often lower my O/c.

Safest way to increase voltage is to get MSI afterburner beta 6. Read up on what are safe over clocks and voltages for your model card. Providing you increase in minor increments, you should be fine. Keep an eye out on the temps. In widowed mode you would get terrible framerates I believe.

E: There are two schools of thought on this, some saying an increase in voltage will help, while others say it's a driver issue. That said I can play crysis 2 fine, but if I lower my voltage to stock, I get crashes. Take that as you will and please read up fully before tweaking anything.

EE: Apparently if you dont want to increase your voltage, under afterburner you can force constant voltage. Apparently this has worked for some people. YMMV

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 1, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Opus125 posted:

That's how it used to be but its changed a lot recently. There's a few thread regulars who write annoying essays about every overpriced part they buy these days so honestly it's well balanced between cheap and spendy. I had to put one guy on ignore because he would write a thesis about overclocking his 2600k and 570 every page or two. They are more than enough "enablers" in there and if Crackbone is a bit terse then that's just because he's been repeating himself for years in there :)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
On the advice of the thread I've gone for the headphones and desktop mic combo as opposed to a headset. These Sennheisers are amazing, but now I'm wondering about the mic part. Does it matter at all what mic I get?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Zedd posted:

I made my new PC with the Parts Thread and a thread on a local dutch website.

It is really easy:
Read OP's on both.
Is that Dutch thread in English? If so, link please?

Incidentally, had some recent stability issues -- took out my internal (SATA) hard drives recently only to plug them back in this week, but due to my chassis and PSU's horrid internal arrangement I had to remove the RAM in order for the drives to go into place before reseating the RAM... then the thing failed to resume after I put it to sleep, AND I had three BSOD's in one night (Windows 7 x64), though I think two of them were related to DirectX DLL's... weird.

Currently it's running stably enough and I was able to resume from sleep, but the worry remains in the back of my mind. Hope I didn't short a hard drive the RAM or something, but if that were the case then they just wouldn't work at all... right? :ohdear:

Dr Snofeld, I actually went with a used PS3 Eye camera ($25 used at GameStop compared to $40 new) since it has a built-in microphone... run the Code Laboratories driver installer, then plug it in. On Windows 7 it auto-installed as both a USB camera (640 x 480 @ 30 fps) and a USB microphone with apparently better sound quality than my headset microphones.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Dr Snofeld posted:

On the advice of the thread I've gone for the headphones and desktop mic combo as opposed to a headset. These Sennheisers are amazing, but now I'm wondering about the mic part. Does it matter at all what mic I get?

I posted a similar question a few pages ago, but never got answered. I got the HD555s too, and was wondering if there was any quality difference between a webcam and one of those Logitech desktop mics for $20? I'd rather get a webcam, but if the voice quality is poo poo, I'll just get the $20 stand mic too.

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor

Siroc posted:

I posted a similar question a few pages ago, but never got answered. I got the HD555s too, and was wondering if there was any quality difference between a webcam and one of those Logitech desktop mics for $20? I'd rather get a webcam, but if the voice quality is poo poo, I'll just get the $20 stand mic too.
The voice quality on the webcam is going to be abysmal. For both you and Dr. Snofeld, I'd actually recommend a clip on mic, desktop mics work fine as well, but personally I just like how it doesn't take up desk space and it can be clipped to your headphones, so it works just like a headset without having to sacrifice audio quality. I've used this in the past and they work good in game and also in mumble, ventrilo, etc.
Zalman Clip on
These always seem to be out of stock though. I haven't used these olympus ones but I wouldn't doubt that they work just as well, unless you don't mind waiting for those.
Olympus Clip on

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Siroc posted:

See my above solution, used PS3 Eye with the Code Laboratories driver and better than headset mic quality (at least according to one of the servers I played BC2 on, maybe Wook Wook?).

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

PelvicThrust posted:

The voice quality on the webcam is going to be abysmal. For both you and Dr. Snofeld, I'd actually recommend a clip on mic, desktop mics work fine as well, but personally I just like how it doesn't take up desk space and it can be clipped to your headphones, so it works just like a headset without having to sacrifice audio quality. I've used this in the past and they work good in game and also in mumble, ventrilo, etc.
Zalman Clip on
These always seem to be out of stock though. I haven't used these olympus ones but I wouldn't doubt that they work just as well, unless you don't mind waiting for those.
Olympus Clip on

I can't speak for the lower range webcams, but I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam or whatever and the voice quality is awesome.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

ATI Tray Tools supports fan settings in its profiles.

Yeah but this is no different from CCC. I want to be able to actually choose what speed the fan goes to at what temperature. Is this possible?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Like has been said about a billion times, desk mics like the Logitech don't need to sit directly in front of you to work. The Zalman clipon is much poorer quality (both build and sound-wise) than the $20 Logitech desk mic and the clips that try to hold it onto the cable often undo themselves. I've used both and I am glad my Zalman actually fell apart so that I had an excuse to use something else.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Chortles posted:

See my above solution, used PS3 Eye with the Code Laboratories driver and better than headset mic quality (at least according to one of the servers I played BC2 on, maybe Wook Wook?).

I got one of these! Is there any way to increase mic gain, though? It seems a bit quiet, from what people have been telling me.

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Like has been said about a billion times, desk mics like the Logitech don't need to sit directly in front of you to work. The Zalman clipon is much poorer quality (both build and sound-wise) than the $20 Logitech desk mic and the clips that try to hold it onto the cable often undo themselves. I've used both and I am glad my Zalman actually fell apart so that I had an excuse to use something else.

That's unfortunate, never had any problems with mine v:downs:v

And BC2? Are you talking about in game? You don't get to even use the full potential of the mic that way.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Amrosorma posted:

I can't speak for the lower range webcams, but I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam or whatever and the voice quality is awesome.

I've got this Microsoft cam and the mic on it is great from what people on the other end tell me on Skype and poo poo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105321

Vintersorg posted:

they don't want people [...] wasting money on [...] GTX580's.

GTX580's aren't a waste if you're running a 30" monitor or some dual/triple monitor setup. At 2560x1600 on my 30", even my 580 occasionally struggles to run some stuff at maxed settings (I have to turn AA and AF down a tad from max on Just Cause 2 or I get occasional stuttering when there's too much onscreen, for example).

Then again, if you can afford such a huge/multiple large monitors to be playing at such high resolutions, the cost of a GTX580 is likely a fraction of what you spent on monitors; you can probably afford to swallow the difference in price of the card over a 560ti or 6950 anyways. :v:

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

HotCanadianChick posted:

GTX580's aren't a waste if you're running a 30" monitor or some dual/triple monitor setup. At 2560x1600 on my 30", even my 580 occasionally struggles to run some stuff at maxed settings (I have to turn AA and AF down a tad from max on Just Cause 2 or I get occasional stuttering when there's too much onscreen, for example).

which is why they require you to post monitor resolutions before requesting graphics card advice. Of course you won't be wasting money on a 580 of you have multiple monitors, but you will if you run a single 1920x1080 screen.

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Manac0r posted:

Ok I remember reading something about this, you see using Directx11 along with tessellation and other goodies, really puts the card under full load. If your voltage isn't enough to support your overclock (which can happen even from a factory O/c card) then this could be causing the problem. I overclock my 590's and crysis 2 is very picky about when it will crash out, and I will often lower my O/c.

Safest way to increase voltage is to get MSI afterburner beta 6. Read up on what are safe over clocks and voltages for your model card. Providing you increase in minor increments, you should be fine. Keep an eye out on the temps. In widowed mode you would get terrible framerates I believe.

E: There are two schools of thought on this, some saying an increase in voltage will help, while others say it's a driver issue. That said I can play crysis 2 fine, but if I lower my voltage to stock, I get crashes. Take that as you will and please read up fully before tweaking anything.

EE: Apparently if you dont want to increase your voltage, under afterburner you can force constant voltage. Apparently this has worked for some people. YMMV

Thanks, I used MSI Afterburner and upped the voltage from 1012 to 1025, and it seems to have solved the problem. :)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know of a keyboard that has a volume knob, anti-ghosting, and a standard key layout?

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

That's how it used to be but its changed a lot recently. There's a few thread regulars who write annoying essays about every overpriced part they buy these days so honestly it's well balanced between cheap and spendy. I had to put one guy on ignore because he would write a thesis about overclocking his 2600k and 570 every page or two. They are more than enough "enablers" in there and if Crackbone is a bit terse then that's just because he's been repeating himself for years in there :)

A long time ago being an PC enthusiast is about finding the best bang for the buck because we are burned or turned off by lovely overpriced Dell/HPs with Intel Extremely Slow graphics, no AGP slots, lousy RDRAM and underpowered PSUs. Now we have pretenders calling themselves enthusiasts actually proud of having XTREME mobos, DDR3 2133+, 1200W+ PSUs that gives ~5% better real-world performance for $700 extra.

That's evolution, folks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

freeforumuser posted:

A long time ago being an PC enthusiast is about finding the best bang for the buck because we are burned or turned off by lovely overpriced Dell/HPs with Intel Extremely Slow graphics, no AGP slots, lousy RDRAM and underpowered PSUs. Now we have pretenders calling themselves enthusiasts actually proud of having XTREME mobos, DDR3 2133+, 1200W+ PSUs that gives ~5% better real-world performance for $700 extra.

That's evolution, folks.

This people have existed for pretty much as long as graphics cards have existed, probably longer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I used to have a friend that bought every newer Nvidia card that came out, that dude hated money.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, I knew a guy that was the first to have literally everything that came out and would have stacks and stacks of games to boot. Never quite worked out how he actually afforded it, but it was kinda fun to go round his house and see how little the overall performance improved each month or two. He never bragged about it either, which makes me wonder what the point was.

Same guy also completely fried a brand new motherboard and processor by assembling it on a nylon carpet (as in, actually putting the bits on the carpet) and just went out and bought all new parts to replace them. Bear in mind that he still had a perfectly functional and reasonably high end PC, so this was just tossing money into a furnace.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know of a keyboard that has a volume knob, anti-ghosting, and a standard key layout?
You might hafta relax that "standard layout" requirement a bit, but check out the Microsoft Sidewinder X6, and the Logitech series G19, G510, and G110.

I'm using a G510.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 2, 2011

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Just a general question about GPU temps. I have a Radeon 5970, and it's idling around 55-60c. Under heavy load (Crysis, Stalker, Metro) I've seen it go up as high as 87c, it also becomes quite audible then. Should I be worried about these temps, and try to do something about it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Skilleddk posted:

Just a general question about GPU temps. I have a Radeon 5970, and it's idling around 55-60c. Under heavy load (Crysis, Stalker, Metro) I've seen it go up as high as 87c, it also becomes quite audible then. Should I be worried about these temps, and try to do something about it?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1141/11/

That suggests you're bang in the middle of the normal temperature range, so I wouldn't sweat it. Bear in mind the 5970 is basically two 5870s running in crossfire crammed onto a single card, so it's going to run hot. 87c isn't terrible as a load temperature anyway (my 560Ti gets up to 80-85 at times), it's just the idle that looks hot compared to other cards.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I think your idle temp is what people have said theirs goes up to under load, as far as I'm aware modern cards are pretty happy to run at fairly high temps, but that sounds like it's pushing it a bit and you might want to look at your airflow or get another fan in there.

Edit: ^^ nevermind then!

lohli fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 2, 2011

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Just an enquiry with no intention of insulting or accusing anyone but why the hate/ridicule/disdain for those that opt for high end technology? Sure, you could get similar performance for less. But it's their money, their passion and their right to purchase such items, which may even help fund the more cheaper iterations. If said person is flaunting it, or acting elitist, then yes I can understand taking them down a peg or two.

I see people with mansions and swimming pools, I see sports cars and people fine dining in lavish restaurants. They only need a finite amount of space to live in, they still have to obey the speed limits and food is simply calorie intake. I guess jealousy or snubbing these people is a defence mechanism?

I guess just do you, what ever you can afford and what ever makes you happy. As long as you are not a douche about it. But I have seen goons pounce on people because they go SLI, or have several monitors or even a keyboard with back lighting. I don't understand the instant disdain for these people. They are not robbing stores, or sucking dick to pay for their hobby.

Anyway I guess the game is the game, just do you and don't watch the disdain.

Oh and.. Capitalism..ho!! :patriot:

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 2, 2011

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Manac0r posted:

Just an enquiry with no intention of insulting or accusing anyone but why the hate/ridicule/disdain for those that opt for high end technology? Sure, you could get similar performance for less. But it's their money, their passion and their right to purchase such items, which may even help fund the more cheaper iterations. If said person is flaunting it, or acting elitist, then yes I can understand taking them down a peg or two.

I see people with mansions and swimming pools, I see sports cars and people fine dining in lavish restaurants. They only need a finite amount of space to live in, they still have to obey the speed limits and food is simply calorie intake. I guess jealousy or snubbing these people is a defence mechanism?

I guess just do you, what ever you can afford and what ever makes you happy. As long as you are not a douche about it. But I have seen goons pounce on people because they go SLI, or have several monitors or even a keyboard with back lighting. I don't understand the instant disdain for these people. They are not robbing stores, or sucking dick to pay for their hobby.

Anyway I guess the games is the game, just do you and don't watch the disdain.

Oh and.. Capitalism..ho!! :patriot:

I think the reason Goons tend to pounce on perceived overspending is that a lot of the time those people going SLI or the like are going to receive no noticeable performance increase for their extra cash. The parts picking thread in particular has loads of enquiries from people looking to buy 6950s to run on cheap monitors without gigantic resolutions, so I can understand why they get a bit annoyed by Goons spending money they don't have to.

But hey if money is no object and you want some sort of crazy Eyefinity setup they'll still advise you how to do it best.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Maybe part of it is irritation that the person is being lazy, not taking the actual time to research their build. A lot of times an "awesome setup" ends up being a lot of really expensive parts, and then one part that bottlenecks everything else so it's not even going to actually run fast, and then the guy says "hey check out the awesome rig I bought already rate it" or something. I spent a lot of time looking over parts, trying to figure out what I really needed, making sure I wasn't skimping on anything, and so on, and when I see what looks like "buy the thing with the biggest numbers" it's just really irritating.
I'm fine with someone getting awesome parts if they've actually apparently researched things, is going to be playing on a large monitor, and knows what they're doing. I mean to take the car example, if I just went out and bought a Ferrari with a bunch of money I had lying around, and didn't research the various models and didn't take care of it properly, I assume I'd piss off a lot of people, as opposed to if I actually took the time to learn about cars and why I should get a certain one. I don't know poo poo about cars, I just picked "Ferrari" because I've heard it mentioned often as an awesome car; I can only assume if I went ahead and bought "a Ferrari" I'd be an incredible rear end.

Also part of what I'm trying to say is that a lot of times the people that post about stuff like that appear to be the sort of person who hasn't actually done research. Especially on a "parts picking megathread," if you have the sort of passion and drive to actually research... then you're not going to post asking for help. A lot of times the people with 580s just want to game at 1080p and automatically assume they'll need the best stuff for the fastest gaming, when really they don't, and they'd be better off buying a second computer in a couple years than trying to future proof.
I mean it's just that sort of thing.

Also I'm jealous and I want a 560ti.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's not that they dislike the "I have a shitload of cash, and I want a monster setup" type; It's more that the averige user (Including myself) needs guidence and has at least some form of price:preformance sensibility.

If they want a eyefinity, 3d, everything on SSD 8 monitor water cooled setup I'm sure they will get good advise.
If they want to buy quad SLI for 1680x1050 because they think that is needed and good value that is ignorant and stubborn that is annoying.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

There's also the annoying mindset that a lot of those people have where they eventually think that's the only way to be a REAL PC GAMER. It's why there's this common perception that you need a $3000 PC every two years in order to run anything, which only hurts the hobby in the end.

This perception is obviously still out there, as a lot of the terseness in the SH/SC is people over and over again posting their builds with major overkill on the ram, CPU and power supply, expressing skepticism when being told it's overkill because some buddy of theirs insisted it was necessary and they know a lot about computers or whatever, and then sometimes ironically mentioning that they're still playing on an old 4:3 CRT because it's all they can afford.

And again, if you want to spend way beyond the price/performance ratio and money is no object, I don't understand why you want others to review your build in the first place unless you're trying to show off.

Also, you can tell it's a weird e-penis thing because almost every hardware forum out there where people post their benchmark results and brag about their tri-SLI, watercooled rig also has a "buy/sell/trade" sub-forum that has a large amount of those people selling that poo poo 6 months later because either (a) They realize it's pointless; (b) They're like some gambling addict and are buying whatever the marginally new overpriced video cards is; or most commonly (c) They need to pay rent or bills suggesting a lot of them don't actually have the free income to waste on this stuff to begin with.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 2, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The two things that attract the most ire in that thread seem to be attempts to "future proof" by spending, say, $600 on a graphics card (which will be awesome for the same length of time as a $200 one will be good and then still need replacing) and just overspending with no benefit. Stuff like the i7 offers basicaly no performance increase in games whatsoever over an i5, so buying one is literally wasting money. You won't get any more FPS because games aren't built to use hyperthreading, and so you're better off either saving the extra $100 it'll cost you for your next build, or putting it into your GPU, or an SSD, or a better case, or SOMETHING that's going to benefit you. A lot of the annoyance you'll see in that thread is people posting a list of parts they've already bought that includes an i7, $300 Z68 motherboard, GTX 590 and a 17" 1280x1024 monitor and going "WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK".

Again, if you go in there saying you're doing complex 3D modelling or physics simulations, or building something else that needs really really high processor throughput and will use hyperthreading or more physical cores, then they will recommend it. The only pouncing on something I've seen in that thread at all recently was the poor guy who's co-worker was recommending stupid processors and GPU for his usage and kept telling him things like "NOT GETTING AN i7 WILL CASTRATE YOUR SYSTEM", and even then it was the non-goon co-worker was (deservedly) getting the poo poo.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

I absolutely understand the attitude towards ignorance/laziness. You guys are right; if you are going to spend that type of money and have the passion then you really should sit and read a while and clue yourself up. Like I said if people are showing off and bragging then giving them hard facts in a cold manner is understood. And yes bottle necking your system is stupid, whether it be through processor or monitor, and with a little reading you can learn what work best for what.

But let's not jump down peoples throats because they have high end specs. You never know what they cut back on to get it. We all have different performance requirements. Some people can't see screen tearing, or micro stutter. Some people don't need an ips colour calibrated monitor. So with so may different tastes/budgets and requirements it's a diverse world out there.

Lets not brush off the guy with TRI sli and three U3011's, passion is passion. Let's just pitch fork him if he starts bragging about it :rock:

Seriously understood and thanks for shedding some light on the topic in a mature way. Anyway here is my rig :

Jokes aside, back to gaming.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 2, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Manac0r posted:

A better analogy would be someone buying a huge swimming pool, "the kind used by professional athletes", for their 4-year-old who can't even swim.

E: I would totally buy that thing in the image you posted if I had the money, though.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 2, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manac0r posted:

If I had the money for it I would unironically buy this.

And gently caress you Manny, I've not forgiven you for buying that monitor. :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Manac0r posted:

ips colour calibrated monitor
Aha, speaking of that, is there a good way to try to get the colours to match on my two cheap-rear end monitors? I've been fiddling with settings but I just can't quite get it right. Plus my monitor at work definitely doesn't match out with the colours that get printed. Being a bit of a simpleton, I just want a bit of software that'll print out a test sheet, get me to click on a colour onscreen that matches what came out of the printer, then it'll do all the thinking for me. :downs:

I'll probably get nice monitors a year down the line or whatever (although a bigger desk to fit them on wouldn't go amiss), but for now I just wanna get by with the cheap poo poo I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Manac0r posted:

But let's not jump down peoples throats because they have high end specs. You never know what they cut back on to get it. We all have different performance requirements. Some people can't see screen tearing, or micro stutter. Some people don't need an ips colour calibrated monitor. So with so may different tastes/budgets and requirements it's a diverse world out there.
Hey, I'm one of those people...to a degree. I usually do a new build every 2.5 years whether I need to or not, and I always spend up and above what I realistically need. Primarily because I just want to be able to just crank everything on the highest setting, be able to turn vsync on because screen tearing drives me nuts, and still have a smooth as butter framerate. I also have brand preferences for a lot of my materials that go beyond whoever has the best deal at the time. I just don't inflict that attitude on others.

I guess I'm just annoyed because I see a lot of casual people who get burned off PC Gaming just shortly after getting into it because they were bamboozled into being convinced that the build they could afford at the time wasn't "good enough" or they have tons of stability issues and/or fry the expensive equipment they just bought because they were told that they were pissing money down the drain if they didn't do a bunch of overclocking that they weren't informed enough to do properly, etc. But I guess that's more of an annoyance where sometimes I feel like PC gamers at large (at least on the internet) sometimes are the best deterrents to PC gaming.

• Locked thread