Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm really tempted by the Ultima pack+IV but unlike most people in this thread, I'm coming at it with no nostalgia glasses or anything but I'm tempted by it because I adore RPGs and I love RPGs that have a touch of realism to them like having to eat and drink and whatnot -- some of my best moments in Oblivion were getting it modded so you had to eat, drink and sleep to survive, getting woken up in the middle of the night by a fight that I could barely get through on my way to the Imperial city and having to drop parts of my inventory on the way there because I was dying of exhaustion. The best feeling was when I finally reached the gates, having to literally crawl through them, but I knew I was safe..

Anyway, that was a bit long winded but that's the kind of stuff I love in an RPG and the Ultima series sounds like it has that. So is the pack worth it for me? I really have a hankering for a realistic RPG, so if Ultima won't do then I'll totally take suggestions. I've heard Realms of Arkania might scratch this itch but I already have it and it's quite difficult to penetrate if you don't know what you're doing D: any tips on that too, dear thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Why didn't you just fast travel?? :haw:

Just get Ultima IV.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm really tempted by the Ultima pack+IV but unlike most people in this thread, I'm coming at it with no nostalgia glasses or anything but I'm tempted by it because I adore RPGs and I love RPGs that have a touch of realism to them like having to eat and drink and whatnot -- some of my best moments in Oblivion were getting it modded so you had to eat, drink and sleep to survive, getting woken up in the middle of the night by a fight that I could barely get through on my way to the Imperial city and having to drop parts of my inventory on the way there because I was dying of exhaustion. The best feeling was when I finally reached the gates, having to literally crawl through them, but I knew I was safe..

Anyway, that was a bit long winded but that's the kind of stuff I love in an RPG and the Ultima series sounds like it has that. So is the pack worth it for me? I really have a hankering for a realistic RPG, so if Ultima won't do then I'll totally take suggestions. I've heard Realms of Arkania might scratch this itch but I already have it and it's quite difficult to penetrate if you don't know what you're doing D: any tips on that too, dear thread?

I don't recommend the first three ultimas. They are pretty bad for role playing. One absolutely vital clue in ultima III requires you to kill a random wizard in a town for no reason at all.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I don't recommend the first three ultimas. They are pretty bad for role playing. One absolutely vital clue in ultima III requires you to kill a random wizard in a town for no reason at all.

But this is the proper way to play the first 3 and some of 4. Just murder everyone and pay nothing for all the good items and arbitrarily make up for your earlier transgressions by saying your correct name a lot and throwing change at beggars. The way of the avatar!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The other thing about the first three ultimas is that there are some incredibly obvious exploits that are so useful you are almost crazy if you don't do them. The "legitimate" way to do things is just as repetitive, immersion-breaking and tedious as the exploit.

For example, food in the early game is a god drat bore. One gold per ration, roughly 1 ration consumed every 2-3 turns, average amount of gold per encounter: 50 odd. So to get enough gold simply to feed yourself you can either repeatedly raid particular dungeon levels for 5-600 gold per trip, repeatedly rob a store for 150 odd gold every minute or so, reloading your game when the guards catch you, or starve to death.

Of course, the much easier thing to do is start a new party of adventurers, band them together with one of your "real" characters, give your character all of the food and gold the new characters are holding, save the game, disband the party, delete the stand in characters, and repeat until you have 8000 food.

I swear, it's almost as if the designers wanted you to figure this out as part of the puzzle.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

teethgrinder posted:

If you want to give Ultima 4 a go, I highly recommend:

http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/upgrade.htm

and http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

Anything particular I should do to make that setup.bat and setm.exe work in 64 bit? :(

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

glug posted:

Anything particular I should do to make that setup.bat and setm.exe work in 64 bit? :(

are you getting an error that says something like "get CWSDPMi"?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

glug posted:

If you use XU4, you can just drop the upgrade package into the same directory without unzipping it. You shouldn't have to run any installer besides XU4, which shouldn't have any trouble. You have to then go to options and pick "VGA graphics" in XU4.

The instructions on the upgrade page are probably more clear.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Amethyst posted:

are you getting an error that says something like "get CWSDPMi"?

If I run normal, or go to an admin command prompt and run, I get this:

If I run as admin, it flashes by so fast I don't know if it failed or succeeded.

I'll prolly try the Xu4 version I guess.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
They'll probably get Populous II, right? The vastly improved interface and the leveling up of skills and the 50+ more god powers makes Pop1 unplayable for me.

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
Is Ultima IV supposed to have music? It doesn't seem to have any for me.

TiltedAtWindmills fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 1, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
How is the PC version of Populous anyway? I played the SNES version quite a bit.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I hope they add Populous 3, I'm dying to play it again but I can't find my old CD for it :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

nimby posted:

I hope they add Populous 3, I'm dying to play it again but I can't find my old CD for it :(

I remember the PS1 version took up an entire memory card for save games. Bullshit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

I remember the PS1 version took up an entire memory card for save games. Bullshit.

I thought I had it bad playing PS1 Diablo co-op with a friend and our game save took up 10 out of 15 blocks on a memory card, then another block each for our characters. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dr Snofeld posted:

On the other hand, I loved that narrator for the missions in the PS1. So serious and hammy.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

How is the PC version of Populous anyway? I played the SNES version quite a bit.
You definitely want Populous II to play on PC. The SNES one was kind of like version 1.5.

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Is Ultima IV supposed to have music? It doesn't seem to have any for me.
The original PC version did not. If you install the upgrade package I keep linking, it adds the music from other versions back in.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Did anyone play Populous on Genesis? I picked up an old copy a few days ago but haven't played it. Think that'd be a better option than the PC one if it's just like the SNES?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Bloodly posted:

On the other hand, I loved that narrator for the missions in the PS1. So serious and hammy.

Wait, the PC version doesn't have him? Sod it, not interested any more.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Out of curiosity, is there a reason to play the PC version of Ultima 4 if you've already played the NES version? Wikipedia doesn't really state that many differences aside from the party limit, but the NES version looks (and sounds?) much nicer.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I must be missing something.
I installed the game from gog. I put u4upgrad.zip in the install directory. I installed xu4. I copied the entirety of my u4 install folder (with u4upgrad.zip) into a folder called Ultima4 inside the xu4 install folder. And again, running it just crashes.

Does anyone have xu4, or just the graphics upgrades, running on win7 64bit?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just got Ultima 4, the game's rather obtuse on how to actually play it (none of the manuals seem to have a command list for starters). Any pointers?

Edit: Figures, I missed the manual that actually came in the install package

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 1, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

glug posted:

I must be missing something.
I installed the game from gog. I put u4upgrad.zip in the install directory. I installed xu4. I copied the entirety of my u4 install folder (with u4upgrad.zip) into a folder called Ultima4 inside the xu4 install folder. And again, running it just crashes.

Does anyone have xu4, or just the graphics upgrades, running on win7 64bit?
Welp, I stand corrected. It's broken for me too. I wonder if it's a temporary thing. Nobody has complained on their official forums and it's still actively developed. I used to play it in 64-bit Vista no problem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just got Ultima 4, the game's rather obtuse on how to actually play it (none of the manuals seem to have a command list for starters). Any pointers?

Edit: Figures, I missed the manual that actually came in the install package

For Ultima 4, watch this:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/ultima-retrospective/page/2/

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
So is WC1 supposed to have voices or not? I've only played the Kilrathi Saga version but I couldn't find any option to get speech working in that game. It was kind of jarring playing it after Privateer where the conversations are in exactly the same style but everything is voiced.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There is absolutely no voice on the PC version of Wing Commander I. I don't know about the various ports that existed.

Omega Hans
Feb 6, 2010
For the people who are having trouble with xu4, I have a question. Does GoG install a ultima4.zip file? If it does then there is no need to put it in a folder called ultima4. Just put ultima4.zip and u4upgrad.zip into the xu4 install folder.

If not, copy the files to an ultima4 folder, unzip u4upgrad to the ultima4 folder, and run the setup.bat. Please note, I've never done this option before so I do not know if it will work.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

teethgrinder posted:

There is absolutely no voice on the PC version of Wing Commander I. I don't know about the various ports that existed.

I think the Sega CD port of Wing Commander had voice acting, but you don't want to hear it.

Like, I mean, you don't want to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjLDi8LD9Es My favorite is that there's a nice gap between lines,

even if they are in the same sentence.

It really makes conversations

seem really choppy.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

That's actually really good, and this really is the best game. It's loaded with symmetry and purpose while being a real open-world style game that you can go rape face and become as powerful as possible before you even *begin* to advance as an avatar. Well, you'll prolly be acing in valor ;)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd forgotten how good this guy's videos could be. Gonna watch the Ultima series now.

Still want to mail him a razor, some night cream, and a bottle of hair conditioner though. You're on camera, dude.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I saw that, and want to experience the game for myself, I understand 1-3 might be a bad idea (kinda tempted for 3 though) but is it really that beyond reproach at this point?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

doctorfrog posted:

I'd forgotten how good this guy's videos could be. Gonna watch the Ultima series now.

Still want to mail him a razor, some night cream, and a bottle of hair conditioner though. You're on camera, dude.

His SWAT 4 (LP) videos are the best.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Of course I bought Dungeon Keeper II as soon as I saw it available, and then found that it doesn't work too well in Win7 x64 at all. In fact, I think GoG even removed Windows 7 from the list of compatible OSes for the game, which seems like kind of a dick move. Does anyone know of a way to make it work properly on a modern machine?

Sorry if there's some megapost answering everything DKII already or something, haven't been actively following the thread for some time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This weekend's promo: Digital Game Factory titles for 50% off. Who? Oh, they now own the rights to some of the Kalypso stuff.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
I've never played any of the Commandos games, but I hear they're good. I assume 2+3 are the ones to get, but should I bother with the Commandos Ammo Pack?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Woebin posted:

Of course I bought Dungeon Keeper II as soon as I saw it available, and then found that it doesn't work too well in Win7 x64 at all. In fact, I think GoG even removed Windows 7 from the list of compatible OSes for the game, which seems like kind of a dick move. Does anyone know of a way to make it work properly on a modern machine?

Sorry if there's some megapost answering everything DKII already or something, haven't been actively following the thread for some time.

I think the GoG guys are trying to sort the problems out and nothing solves every problem, but a couple of things can help.
* Run it in Windows 2000/XP compatibility mode
* Turn off Hardware Acceleration in the in-game options menu
* If you have NVIDIA graphics, you can try the registry edit mentioned here http://www.pcgamingbuzz.com/2011/how-to-fix-dungeon-keeper-2-from-gog/ . This stabilised the game pretty well for me - enough that it's playable, at any rate.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I think the GoG guys are trying to sort the problems out and nothing solves every problem, but a couple of things can help.
* Run it in Windows 2000/XP compatibility mode
* Turn off Hardware Acceleration in the in-game options menu
* If you have NVIDIA graphics, you can try the registry edit mentioned here http://www.pcgamingbuzz.com/2011/how-to-fix-dungeon-keeper-2-from-gog/ . This stabilised the game pretty well for me - enough that it's playable, at any rate.
Thanks. The problem for me isn't really stability, though; I was getting graphical issues, but mucking about a bit seems to have mostly resolved those. What I really want now is some means of running the game at higher than 800x600 resolution. If that's possible at all, I mean.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

iastudent posted:

I thought I had it bad playing PS1 Diablo co-op with a friend and our game save took up 10 out of 15 blocks on a memory card, then another block each for our characters. :v:

Small price to pay for the most fun you'll have playing a PS1 game cooperatively. :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spoony is pretty awesome and has great charisma but yes, the guy can definitely take better care of himself, not that he cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Unbalanced posted:

I've never played any of the Commandos games, but I hear they're good. I assume 2+3 are the ones to get, but should I bother with the Commandos Ammo Pack?
The original game (and addon) is pretty drat good. The sequel was pretty much more of the same with bigger and harder levels and awesomely good. I never really liked the third one, it went 3d and seemed more actiony and kinda meh.