Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Since its a SERO account that we're TOL'ing, is there something special/sekrit that you have to do to get the new tentative account SERO-eligible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mark Larson posted:

Since its a SERO account that we're TOL'ing, is there something special/sekrit that you have to do to get the new tentative account SERO-eligible?

I didn't have to when I bought my SERO account. A tentative account should be able to take any type of plan (except maybe employee plans).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just integrated google choice and am using it to text on my evo 3d. However, it seems to hang a lot when sending. What gives?

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Mark Larson posted:

I thought they stopped allowing this? I TOL'd my old SERO account and there was nothing special that had to be done.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For a while Sprint refused to TOL SERO accounts, but it seems like they've started allowing it again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does sprint still give you some credit on your bill if you recycle an old phone with them? I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a Touch Diamond in 2011.

Also wow sprint CS got pretty drat decent over the years. It used to be a hassle to get anything done, switching to the Nexus and upgrading SERO was a snap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Does sprint still give you some credit on your bill if you recycle an old phone with them? I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a Touch Diamond in 2011.

Also wow sprint CS got pretty drat decent over the years. It used to be a hassle to get anything done, switching to the Nexus and upgrading SERO was a snap.

Yes just Google sprint buyback. Donno if it'll be anything over $10, but definitely check.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes just Google sprint buyback. Donno if it'll be anything over $10, but definitely check.

Yeah good luck with it. I was offered $5 for my Pre when I picked up my EVO 3D. :v:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sirbeefalot posted:

Yeah good luck with it. I was offered $5 for my Pre when I picked up my EVO 3D. :v:

I got $9 for mine, sucker!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Wait you guys actually sold back Pres for so little?

I mean, I guess they really are poo poo at this point, but for $5-9 it seems worth keeping them for novelty value if not as a backup device.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Should have held off and sold them on eBay as "HP Touchpad Phones"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Consider donating them to charity instead. I donate my old phones to domestic abuse shelters (SafePlace is what I use in Austin, TX). Even without an active contract, all phones can still access 911 for emergency services.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

Consider donating them to charity instead. I donate my old phones to domestic abuse shelters (SafePlace is what I use in Austin, TX). Even without an active contract, all phones can still access 911 for emergency services.
I don't think giving a victim of domestic abuse a phone with a 5 hour battery life would be very helpful. Not unless she plans ahead.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I didn't sell mine back, it has found new life as a Pandora player for my home stereo.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I didn't sell mine back, it has found new life as a Pandora player for my home stereo.

I destroyed mine with baseball bat in a corn field.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
And in news that less than 1% of the people on here care about,

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/02/kyocera-milano-coming-to-sprint-september-9th-for-50-looks-not/

quote:

The Samsung Conquer 4G may be appealing to a lot of folks craving a mid-range Android device with WiMAX, but what if that extra G just isn't all that important to you? Sprint has a little extra room to spare in the lower end of its lineup, so it's tossing in the Kyocera Milano. The device is rumored to run on Gingerbread and may include an 800MHz CPU with 512MB of RAM, a 3-inch display, a 1,340mAh battery, a 3.2 megapixel camera and a slide-out keyboard. It's likely to be hitting Sprint on September 9th for $50, just in case you've always wanted a phone with an uncanny resemblance to the cookie of the same name.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I recently switched to a rom that shows true 1x/3G status instead of lying and saying 3G 100% of the time on stock.

It turns out that the coverage map for my area lies also, as I have yet to pick up an actual 3g signal anywhere in town. The map shows full 3g coverage where my apartment is, but I only get 1x at horrific speeds.

Other people here have the same problem and no one gets an actual 3g signal the majority of the time.

Will Sprint do anything about this if I complain? Seems a bit shady to claim 3g coverage and then not deliver.

This on top of Sprint's refusal to help me with being unable to call/text/data while roaming is making me reconsider my decision to move from AT&T. (Their customer service line claims they can't troubleshoot android phones over the phone and it's not easy to get to the closest store with my schedule.)

I've tried reverting to stock and S-ON, but network signal apps confirm still no 3g and roaming still will not work.

If I have to take this Evo 3D back to the store for a replacement, what am I looking at for options / fees? I have TEP and it's past the first 30 days.

Edit: Never mind about the 3g. I called them and apparently my account was flagged as non-3g? Is that even possible? It works properly since the call ended but jesus christ...

Mina fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 2, 2011

Saffron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh.
So I'm on EPRP (single line). I want to switch it to a family plan. It looks like I will be spending $129 (before taxes & TEP) for two lines on a family plan with Sprint. Unfortunately, my Sprint reception sort of sucks at home and at work and I know that I can currently get out of the ETF because of the administrative fee increase. Has anyone else here ditched Sprint to go to TMobile or another competitor yet? If so - what kind of deals are you getting for two lines?

In case I do keep Sprint - my Evo 4G has a ton of dust under my screen and a nice size dent on a corner from dropping it. Would TEP cover either of these items? If so, how much would it be? Think I could haggle new customer pricing for a Epic Touch 4G due to the administrative price increase?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Saffron posted:

Think I could haggle new customer pricing for a Epic Touch 4G due to the administrative price increase?
No.

Edit: If you're willing to "transfer" the billing of your existing line to your family plan partner, you can dump your existing contract, port your number out, have your partner start a new two-line contract, and once it's a go port your number back in. That way you get two new phones, or you can keep your Evo and maintain the upgrade eligibility on your line if you want to wait for something more desirable.

Hopefully that's a more helpful answer.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 2, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I was happy with Sprint enough so I signed a contract for 2 years this December, then I got a 4G phone and realized the 4G sucks, then the admin fee came out and now I'm with T-Mobile. I'm enjoying it.

Saffron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No.

Edit: If you're willing to "transfer" the billing of your existing line to your family plan partner, you can dump your existing contract, port your number out, have your partner start a new two-line contract, and once it's a go port your number back in. That way you get two new phones, or you can keep your Evo and maintain the upgrade eligibility on your line if you want to wait for something more desirable.

Hopefully that's a more helpful answer.

Actually that's an extremely helpful answer. I think I'll do just that.

Thanks!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For the people considering the Epic 2 just remember that the Nexus Prime ICS looks to be the same phone design wise (which is a very nice design). Also rumored is a 1.5GHz dual-core and a Super AMOLED HD screen.

So it will have a faster processor (fastest one on Sprint), a HD screen, the sleek design of the SGSII, and it will be a pure Google phone. I would say it is worth waiting a couple of months. Plus by that time we should know a little more on how the SGSII is doing with CDMA.

Only real question is will it truly come out this year on Sprint? All rumors point to yes, but I want to see something official.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

nate fisher posted:

Only real question is will it truly come out this year on Sprint? All rumors point to yes, but I want to see something official.

Huh? Most recent rumor seems to suggest Verizon exclusive:

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392025,00.asp

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pragan4 posted:

Huh? Most recent rumor seems to suggest Verizon exclusive:

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392025,00.asp

From what I understand the Droid Prime is not the same thing as the Nexus Prime. Is that correct? Anything named Droid will only show up on Verizon like EVO will only show up on Sprint. Plus if it has the name Droid instead of Nexus that means it is not a pure Google phone. Most rumors have pointed to that all carriers are getting the Nexus ICS at the same time (Google Sprint + Nexus ICS).

To be honest am a little confused about this. Just surprised to see the name Droid + Prime since we thought the Prime was going to be a Nexus phone.

I just hope Sprint doesn't have to wait until summer 2012 to get the next Nexus phone (like it did with the Nexus S).

Edit: It sounds like after reading some more rumors that most think there will be a Droid Prime and a Nexus Prime. Also the Nexus Prime could possibly be made by both HTC and Samsung. God I am more confused than ever. Still I am going to hold on to my upgrade until this clears up.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 2, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, another week, another bit of Sprint news for everyone here to raise fists at Sprint at:

-For current customers Sprint upgrade fees are getting raised from $18 to $36 (starting 9-9). Sprint is of course reminding everyone that monthly plans are cheaper, mail-in rebates are cheaper than last year ($50 instead of $100), blah blah blah. Reminder from me that the only way to get an upgrade fee waived is by having a credit union discount, being a "Gold" customer and ordering online, or by really sweet talking Sprint / bartering the store rep (assuming they are willing to barter). Applies to big box upgrades of course. New activation fee of $36 is staying the same.

-Sprint is completely axing the 1 year $75 upgrade (i think this month or next). Honestly, I'm totally for this, it had no extra incentives, was outdated and just confused people. From now on you can only do 2 year contracts, upgrades every 22 months unless you are extra extra special.

-$350 ETF for smartphones is already known.

-For people who just want texting, the Kyocera Brio launches soon at $0 after rebates. Honestly, even being a Kyocera, bout time Sprint added another feature phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Edit: It sounds like after reading some more rumors that most think there will be a Droid Prime and a Nexus Prime.
It's been discussed on and off in the Verizon and Devices thread, but yes, the Droid Prime (SCH-i515) is likely the first device to ship with ICS. Nobody knows "how Google" it will be, or if it's "Nexus in spirit" or something like that. Although do keep in mind that the past two major versions of Android both first shipped on Verizon devices (Droid, Xoom) with the vanilla UI and unlocked.

Folks also found hints of the Nexus Prime being the GT-I9250, which is a GSM Samsung model number.

As for a Sprint Nexus Prime, or whatever, there's no concrete information or even rumors on it. Certainly I'd expect a replacement for the Nexus S 4G to hit no later than Spring, but otherwise, who knows.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
TOL saga:

So I had someone from another forum interested in my SERO account. The thing was, he already had a business account with Sprint. I called Sprint CS and talked to the rep about TOL, and he said that he'd have to change the account type to get SERO.

Could anyone tell me what code needs to be put on the account to mark it as SERO-eligible?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

TOL saga:

So I had someone from another forum interested in my SERO account. The thing was, he already had a business account with Sprint. I called Sprint CS and talked to the rep about TOL, and he said that he'd have to change the account type to get SERO.

Could anyone tell me what code needs to be put on the account to mark it as SERO-eligible?

He has a business account, which means he has it under his business Tax ID and not his social (or possibly a blend of the two at most). To be a consumer account he needs to do a TOL of his number from his Tax ID to his personal social. From there you can do the TOL from your social to his. There are some business benefits he would lose, although SERO would be worth it. Also, I couldn't tell ya how that impacts how he files taxes for his phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Its just a kid (college kid) looking to get SERO. The biz account belongs to his father. I asked him if he's eligible to have his own account, he says yes and he'll talk to his dad and let me know. Aawww.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
So apparently the Sprint rep I spoke to on the phone outright lied and a bunch of people are having issues with a PRL update not working the best with 3G.

At least that's fixable and I can downgrade to an older one for now.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Any Austin goons with Sprint around? My contract with Verizon expired and while the service was solid I can get unlimited data (versus 2gigs/mo) for 15 dollars cheaper a month. That's pretty hard to pass up. How's the 4g coverage and service around the city?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's a GBS thread about the DOJ's attempted injunction against the AT&T/T-Mo merger. I'd just like to ask if Sprint call centers are really like this.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

There's a GBS thread about the DOJ's attempted injunction against the AT&T/T-Mo merger. I'd just like to ask if Sprint call centers are really like this.

Every call center is bad. Why? Not the corporations, the customers.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Shrill housewives scream and caterwaul down the line about how they "did NOT use *69 OR 411, so you take that poo poo OFF my loving bill!"

Seriously, how can you keep anyone employed there? Anyone who's any good at all will get a better job and you're left with new people who might be good and mediocre people who stick around.

That's why those 5000 jobs AT&T promised are like a kick in the junk. That's 5000 terrible, go nowhere, useless jobs to replace the thousands of real jobs they'll downsize from T-Mobile. Doesn't matter, AT&T will make some concessions and get their way and we'll all pay for it down the road.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

manwithoutskin posted:

Any Austin goons with Sprint around? My contract with Verizon expired and while the service was solid I can get unlimited data (versus 2gigs/mo) for 15 dollars cheaper a month. That's pretty hard to pass up. How's the 4g coverage and service around the city?
4g coverage varies, but almost anywhere I don't have Wifi access, I can get a 4G signal. Close to downtown, it's pretty solid everywhere. I don't download almost anything when I'm out of the house anyway, so I haven't even turned it on in awhile.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The last time I went to a corporate Sprint store, they told me that if the person that I signed under on EPRP were to quit or leave, I'd be placed on SERO. Is that true?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So really enjoying my new Photon, but there seems to be an issue with Facebook integration. Out of the box there is no Facebook icon to add as an account. I went and downloaded the Facebook app and now it shows up in the "Add Accounts" window. Clicking it the first time prompts a login, and then the app works. However it never appears in the account window and none of my contacts get pretty pictures.

So I uninstalled the app, power cycled and tried it again. No go. Anyone else having the issue?

I've seen it on a few other forums but most of the other people are getting some sort of "Internal Server Error". I'm not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Laranzu posted:

So really enjoying my new Photon, but there seems to be an issue with Facebook integration.
First, you might want to try posting this in the App thread. Second, Google and Facebook are in a bit of a spat, one of the consequences it that Google disabled contact sync for Facebook on the Nexus S a while back, no idea if that's the problem here.

Did you try an explicit "Sync Contacts" from the Facebook app itself?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Pretty sure just about every call center is like that. Not sure how long ago that dude worked at a call center, but I know the customer service model has changed quite a bit since Hesse and his crew started in upper management.

Furthermore, working in a call center isn't for everybody. If you have an IQ anywhere close to average, you can do better than working in one. It sounds like a big part of his complaint is the customer, and you're going to find that just about everywhere - but especially at telecoms. The customer is, in general, catastrophically stupid.

torb main fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 3, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

First, you might want to try posting this in the App thread. Second, Google and Facebook are in a bit of a spat, one of the consequences it that Google disabled contact sync for Facebook on the Nexus S a while back, no idea if that's the problem here.

It still works fine on every other phone, that's not the issue. I'd blame it on Motorola's :downs:-based UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So my Epic hasn't gotten the last few PRL updates, and selecting "Update PRL" fails everytime I try it. Apparently this is common problem among Samsung's Sprint devices, and it's suggested to do a ##SCRTN# to reprogram the device.

I tried doing that this evening, but the hands-free activation failed. I ended up calling *2, and they said there was a "provisioning delay" and it could take up to three hours to activate, which was fine. However, the rep did some magic, and when I retried the hands-free, it activated instantly and grabbed the profile. PRL updates are still failing though. :bang:

Anyways, what's a "provisioning delay?" Is that a temporary thing when Sprint's "systems get backed up" or something? I got that impression.

Also, what magic might've the rep done to make the phone suddenly activate? Is there anyway to do that on my own?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 4, 2011