Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meniscus
May 28, 2010
Thanks Ceridwen and Fanky Malloons! Good to hear that it isn't likely to come out without me knowing, at least, assuming it comes out that way. I'm hoping it doesn't. These things are costly! And I've laid off the lifting for a few days. Been walking/jogging instead.

Ceridwen: In hindsight, no, he didn't explain that the ultrasound would be vaginal. I knew that it was going to be that once they wheeled the little ultrasound cart in. I'd had the dildocam before (to check for cysts) however, so it wasn't a huge deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Hi all... I'm really sorry to bother you but I've got quite a problem right now and I'm not sure what to do...

I've been on birth control for 5 months, 3 on one pill, 2 on another. First one was Aviane. The first and second months I thought were fine... I felt a little bit foggy but it didn't interfere with my day. However when I skipped the "bleed" period on my second pack, I had a period for my entire third pack with no let up or easing off.

So I went to the doc and she gave me samples of Yaz and I thought it was doing really, really well cause there wasn't at all the amount of spotting I had with Aviane. But I feel like I want to disappear into the earth. I haven't been this sad and depressed in a really, really long time... I have been but that was due to some bad trauma in my life. This is just month long sadness and tiredness; I don't want to go out to see people, I cry at every bad thing that happens no matter how bad, etc .

I'm wondering - I just started a new pack of Yaz today. I'm not sexually active currently and don't see myself being so anytime soon, and I don't really need it for period control (though it's nice). Should I stop taking it for a while? I feel like I really need to clear my head of this thoughts I keep having.

Any advice would be appreciated. it's impossible to get in to see my family doctor right now.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If it's making you depressed and you're not on it for any particular reason (serious period issues or sexual activity), then I'd stop taking it. There is no reason to torture yourself unnecessarily.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Yeah, lots of people I know have said that. So I'm going to put my packs away and see how i do for a month. If the depression persists I'll go back to my GP.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I am going for my yearly exam on Tuesday morning. This a brand new doc for me in Nevada. It's a lady and an NP, but I hope she will listen to me and be open to my wanting a Mirena. And send me to someone who will/can do it if she can't. (Not sure if NP's can do that).

However, I do have a plan B (no pun). I was talking to our office draftsperson and she has a gyno in Reno who gave her Mirena, no questions asked. Apparently he's European and has the ability to trust women with their bodies. Amazing!

She said it was the most awesome 5 years of BC ever.

edit: I hope things clear up Chicken Doodle. Depression is the worst. I always cry when I see/read/hear someone else having to deal with it.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone know if it's okay to get a second IUD put in if the first one had to be removed due to infection?

Brief background: I had the copper IUD for about 3 months and when I went to have it checked the doctor said it looked infected and wanted to remove it. He never actually tested it, though, and another doctor that looked at it said it didn't look infected. I made the decision to have it removed anyway.

Now, after having been through several bc pills, I've decided that I just can't handle the side effects any longer and I want to get another IUD because it's the only time in my life I've ever felt normal. Is there any reason why they wouldn't give me another IUD based on the infection that I may or may not have had with the last one? I had the first one inserted at a free clinic and the doctor took FOREVER and appeared to have no clue what he was doing. Now I have insurance so I'd get to go to whoever I want.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My new gyno said yesterday that I was an ideal candidate for Mirena.

And I found out today my insurance doesn't cover IUDs of any kind and Mirena would be $1100+ up front. I am super bummed about that. I finally found a doctor that thinks it's a good idea for me and I can't even afford it. :(

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Geolicious posted:

My new gyno said yesterday that I was an ideal candidate for Mirena.

And I found out today my insurance doesn't cover IUDs of any kind and Mirena would be $1100+ up front. I am super bummed about that. I finally found a doctor that thinks it's a good idea for me and I can't even afford it. :(

I know this was semi-discussed a couple pages ago but doesn't the new law cover/subsidize any type of bc?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

fork bomb posted:

I know this was semi-discussed a couple pages ago but doesn't the new law cover/subsidize any type of bc?

Said to start August of next year. Geolicious, would PP be willing to insert it at a lower price?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am going to call PP as soon as I have a chance. But if it's over 500 or 600 I still may not be able to afford it. I am not low-income. The pill runs me 10 a month. Big difference. The pill works for me, I just want something lower maintenance right now and with a smidgen more peace of mind. I am so afraid my pill is going to fail because I am overweight.

As I understand it, BC coverage by insurance next year only applies to NEW policies, so I'd be screwed anyhow, unless they change it.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Geolicious posted:

As I understand it, BC coverage by insurance next year only applies to NEW policies, so I'd be screwed anyhow, unless they change it.

I would double check on that, it doesn't make any sense to only offer it for new policies. It's a national law, much like the parts that prevent insurance from denying people for "pre-existing conditions." I haven't read or heard anything about it being for new policies only. It just doesn't start til next August.

Peggy Lee
Nov 17, 2005

You give me fever.

Geolicious posted:

I am going to call PP as soon as I have a chance. But if it's over 500 or 600 I still may not be able to afford it. I am not low-income. The pill runs me 10 a month. Big difference. The pill works for me, I just want something lower maintenance right now and with a smidgen more peace of mind. I am so afraid my pill is going to fail because I am overweight.

If you're worried about your pill failing because of your weight, you could try a pill with a higher dose of hormones, or the ring. Of course, these have drawbacks (more hormones = more side effects, NuvaRing is probably not going to be $10/month), but I have the same fear you do.

You could also double up on BC methods. It's up to you if the effects of using condoms or spermicide are more of a pain in the rear end than the worry over whether you're protected. TBH I use either condoms or withdrawal because of the same fears. No sperm up in me, no egg hanging out, no babies, right? :downs: (Yes, I know about the leftover sperm that can show up in pre-ejaculate. This is totally not a rational belief, I realize that.)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

evelynevvie posted:

I would double check on that, it doesn't make any sense to only offer it for new policies. It's a national law, much like the parts that prevent insurance from denying people for "pre-existing conditions." I haven't read or heard anything about it being for new policies only. It just doesn't start til next August.

From reading over the page about this law from the Department of Health and Human services, it looks like she might be right. The preventative care requirements (which the women's health care coverage stuff falls under) only apply to plans created after March 23, 2010. It doesn't apply to plans that are "grandfathered" in i.e. created before that date.

It would still be worth looking into though. There seems to be more to a plan's eligibility than just the creation date, so definitely check on it before you give up on the possibility Geolicious.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't quite given up yet. I plan to call PP tomorrow or Friday. I would like to try to get it before it may or may not be covered in a year. I make good money on paper, but bills and student loans does not leave me with a lot of disposable income.

I worry about the pill failing because I am overweight, yet no one who had prescribed me the pill since I have gotten heavier has mentioned it might be less effective. I've only read that online. Should I not be as worried about this as I am? I am trying hard to lose weight but I am diabetic and it just doesn't come off very well.

edit: I may call that doctor back and express my concerns about being overweight. Maybe she'll give me something stronger.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 1, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I worry about the pill failing because I am overweight, yet no one who had prescribed me the pill since I have gotten heavier has mentioned it might be less effective. I've only read that online. Should I not be as worried about this as I am? I am trying hard to lose weight but I am diabetic and it just doesn't come off very well.

How much do you weigh? Which pill are you using? As far as what current evidence suggests, weight doesn't really have an effect on the effectiveness of birth control pills. We discussed this topic in a bit more depth a few pages back. Feel free to click on the ? button at the bottom of my post to find it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DRP Solved! posted:

How much do you weigh? Which pill are you using? As far as what current evidence suggests, weight doesn't really have an effect on the effectiveness of birth control pills. We discussed this topic in a bit more depth a few pages back. Feel free to click on the ? button at the bottom of my post to find it.

I'm currently 219 and 5'4". I've lost about 20 pounds since March. I've been using Lo-Ovral 28 (or generic) since 2003.

Sorry if I missed the posts. I have tried to read all of the thread.

edit: I don't even know why my knickers are all in a bunch about it. I haven't seen my bf in 6 months. So it's not like I'm doing it all the time.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I'm currently 219 and 5'4". I've lost about 20 pounds since March. I've been using Lo-Ovral 28 (or generic) since 2003.

Sorry if I missed the posts. I have tried to read all of the thread.

edit: I don't even know why my knickers are all in a bunch about it. I haven't seen my bf in 6 months. So it's not like I'm doing it all the time.

It's understandable to be anxious about your birth control, but I think this is one thing that's not worth worrying about.

I doubt that you'll get "anything stronger" since you're already on a pill containing 30 mcg/day of estrogen, which is right in the middle dose-wise. Anything higher (i.e. 50 mcg of estrogen) comes with an increased risk of heart disease, which you don't want if you have diabetes.

Don't worry about missing posts. I only brought it up so that you could get more reliable, in-depth information if you were interested.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the reassurance. Some info had said it's a non issue; some had said it reduces it to about 95% effectiveness. I trust lady goons to know their poo poo, though.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Geolicious posted:

Thanks for the reassurance. Some info had said it's a non issue; some had said it reduces it to about 95% effectiveness. I trust lady goons to know their poo poo, though.

What about us manly man goons?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DRP Solved! posted:

Oh dear :ohdear: Forgive my assumption. This is the thread about infants in vaginas!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Holy Double Post Batman!

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2011

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

DRP Solved! posted:

:monocle: How do you know so much about birth control for vagina owners?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

fork bomb posted:

:monocle: How do you know so much about birth control for vagina owners?

I'm a pharmacy student! :D

Alt answer: I don't want to be responsible for infants in any vaginas either! :haw:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Geolicious posted:

Well, your profile says Nevada. Hop on over the border to California. I have an out of state ID (despite living here in CA) and they had no issue with giving me a teal card and shoving a free Mirena up in there, as long as I had a home address here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I just found out my new health insurance doesn't cover Implnon, only the pill. It won't be an issue for three years, but still. Pisses me off. I didn't want to switch insurance in the first place! :argh:

As an aside, I haven't gotten my period since that little trickle a couple months ago. Should I be going to get a pregnancy test, or just thanking my lucky stars that Implanon stopped my periods?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobula posted:

Well, your profile says Nevada. Hop on over the border to California. I have an out of state ID (despite living here in CA) and they had no issue with giving me a teal card and shoving a free Mirena up in there, as long as I had a home address here.

What is a teal card and what does it do and how do I get one. I am seriously 2 hours from CA.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I just found out my new health insurance doesn't cover Implnon, only the pill. It won't be an issue for three years, but still. Pisses me off. I didn't want to switch insurance in the first place! :argh:

As an aside, I haven't gotten my period since that little trickle a couple months ago. Should I be going to get a pregnancy test, or just thanking my lucky stars that Implanon stopped my periods?

Implanon buddies! :hfive: Be thankful and also be prepared if it unexpectedly comes roaring back!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Geolicious posted:

What is a teal card and what does it do and how do I get one. I am seriously 2 hours from CA.

The teal card is proof of your enrollment in a state-funded health care system (I can't recall the true name of it atm) that provides cheap/free services. Usually if you go to a PP in CA and say you have no insurance, they automatically sign you up for it so your bc can be free. I don't know if you can get one with an out of state ID though.

I'm just about fed up with my Implanon. I had my spotting-period from June, all the way through July, and into mid August. Stopped for two weeks (good timing too, since I was backpacking) and I just started again today. I just can't take the unpredictable periods anymore, so in the next few weeks I'm going to try to get it taken out and go back on pills. Not exactly looking forward to that again.. le sigh.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
But I do have insurance. I mean, I can bend the truth a little, but I doubt they would give me one with an NV ID.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Are there no PPs in NV? You don't need the teal card to get cheep bc, just lie about having insurance.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Are there no PPs in NV? You don't need the teal card to get cheep bc, just lie about having insurance.

There are. Closest one is in Reno. I'll feel badly about lying, but I really want the drat Mirena.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Geolicious posted:

But I do have insurance. I mean, I can bend the truth a little, but I doubt they would give me one with an NV ID.

I have an Oregon ID, they were cool with giving me free everything, from the ring when I used it for almost a year to a Mirena now. I just said I had no insurance (which I don't) and my household income was pretty low. I do live here though, so I had a home address to give them. Since you don't, ask a Californian friend for use of their address, I guess?

Sandry
Jan 1, 2006

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I'm just about fed up with my Implanon. I had my spotting-period from June, all the way through July, and into mid August. Stopped for two weeks (good timing too, since I was backpacking) and I just started again today. I just can't take the unpredictable periods anymore, so in the next few weeks I'm going to try to get it taken out and go back on pills. Not exactly looking forward to that again.. le sigh.

I'm not sure if it's the same for the Implanon, but with my Mirena I had annoying spotting the first 4/5 months so my doc put me back on the pill for 3 months to regulate and wahla! no spotting or anything actually since the end of the three months (it's been about a year since then). Just a thought. And the double hormones didn't seem to have any effect on me either, since it was the same pill I had been on before.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any California friends :( Hell, I don't have any Nevada friends.

If I go to PP and lie about not having insurance, should I lie about my income, too? What's a good figure? I'm pretty sure if I tell them my real income they won't discount me.

I'm thinking I should just save my pennies rather than lie all over the place...

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Reformed Tomboy posted:

When this happened to me, the doctor prescribed me tranexamic acid for a fortnight to see if it stopped the bleeding. It didn't but maybe see if you can give it a go before having the implant out? I didn't like the idea of going back to pills either, so I'm gutted that this didn't work for me. However, it's always worth a try!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Geolicious posted:

I don't have any California friends :( Hell, I don't have any Nevada friends.

If I go to PP and lie about not having insurance, should I lie about my income, too? What's a good figure? I'm pretty sure if I tell them my real income they won't discount me.

I'm thinking I should just save my pennies rather than lie all over the place...

Ultimately it's up to you whether to lie or not, but yes, saying you have low income and no insurance is the way to go. Lying about this is probably a little harder if you're older (it's super easy to say "I'm a student" if you're younger), but you can always say you're unemployed at the moment.

If you're uncomfortable with lying, and can save up to get it, go for it then. I certainly couldn't save up that much, but that's me.

Thanks for the few replies I got regarding my implanon. I'm going to try to get to the doctor in the next week or so and see what my options are.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Reformed Tomboy posted:

If you're uncomfortable with lying, and can save up to get it, go for it then. I certainly couldn't save up that much, but that's me.

I am not that comfortable with lying about it since there are so many women who ARE uninsured and low income. I know I'm not stealing from them (I hope), it just feels wrong. It would take me about a year to save up 1100 bucks, if I was lucky.

I'mma think about it some more.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Geolicious posted:

I am not that comfortable with lying about it since there are so many women who ARE uninsured and low income. I know I'm not stealing from them (I hope), it just feels wrong. It would take me about a year to save up 1100 bucks, if I was lucky.

I'mma think about it some more.

Well, when you think about it you sort of are uninsured in this specific situation since your plan won't cover an IUD. It's not like your insurance company is willing to pay for it and you've just decided to go to Planned Parenthood for fun. You aren't covered for an IUD and can't afford it otherwise - which is the whole point of places like Planned Parenthood offering the discounts they do.

I know that's kind of rationalizing, but I don't see what difference having insurance makes in this situation if they won't cover any of it anyway.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think along the same lines as NaturalLow. Insurance you're paying out the rear end for isn't really doing what it's supposed to do as insurance. You know, covering things you can't afford to pay full price for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good way to look at it, though. I AM uninsured in this instance.

Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it. It would benefit him as well! Well, sometimes anyhow.

• Locked thread