Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

t_bright posted:

How is the BAH payment credited to your account? Every 1st and 15th?

Yes, half on each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HClChicken posted:

Yes, half on each.

Maybe I'm missing something but CH33? I get paid once a month on the first

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

moker posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but CH33? I get paid once a month on the first

poo poo, thought this was regular military thread. I don't know how GI Bill works. But I think it's monthly.

BAH!= GI bill housing allowance.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yes, Chapter 33 pays at the beginning of the month.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Pays at the beginning of the month for the previous month. Say classes start August 25th, you'll get paid September 1st for seven days of classes. Then the full amount on October 1st.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Pays at the beginning of the month for the previous month. Say classes start August 25th, you'll get paid September 1st for seven days of classes. Then the full amount on October 1st.

Not entirely true, they do some funky math that I do not know (nobody knows) to determine when they make the payments in cases like this. In my school's case, which started the 29th, we are getting paid at the end of September (payments are always the last day of the month, not the first) for the entire month +3 days of August.

Interval payment changes hosed everything up and all I can tell people is maybe you'll get a tiny as gently caress paycheck, but probably not.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What about early August days in summer classes, will those be credited to September like the last few days of the month? Same for VR&E? Any word on the stipend change?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

What about early August days in summer classes, will those be credited to September like the last few days of the month? Same for VR&E? Any word on the stipend change?

If you've taken more than 7 days (approximately a quarter of the month) you should get paid the prorated amount either yesterday or today, depending on your bank. I got paid for my classes (1-5 August, 8-19 August, 29-31 August) two days ago because of USAA.

As for the stipend change, I've been advising my students to talk to their VRE councilor. They sure as gently caress haven't passed any information over to me :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, last time I talked to her she had about as much guidance on the issue as you do. That was a few weeks ago, so I'll call and bug her again tomorrow.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
They took away 3,000 from my refund for some reason randomly....had to play phone tag for 45 minutes to get it back. Be sure to stay on top of y'alls poo poo because they seem to make plenty of errors often

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Found this:

http://www.military.com/education/content/gi-bill/vocational-rehabilitation-and-employment-vre.html

quote:

Begining October 1, 2011, those who are eligible for both Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (chapter 31) benefits and Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) benefits to choose the Post-9/11 GI Bill’s monthly housing allowance instead of the chapter 31 subsistence allowance.

So that's one answer. Now I get to go on the enjoyable quest of finding out whether I get the full rate or a percentage of that since I had three years applied to SLRP.

Realistically, I expect the government to say, "Sure! You'll get the full rate!", only to get a letter in the mail next summer saying I was overpaid and they're going to rape my bank account.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
So, I've never had to wait for the stipend for books, I've always got it in the 2nd or 3rd week of August. I've already been paid for the 4 days of August classes, so I'm obviously in the system for the year, how long should I be waiting for book money?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

King of Spit posted:

So, I've never had to wait for the stipend for books, I've always got it in the 2nd or 3rd week of August. I've already been paid for the 4 days of August classes, so I'm obviously in the system for the year, how long should I be waiting for book money?

Depends on when your certificate was sent to the VA. It should, in theory, arrive about a month before classes start. But that assumes that your school sent off the cert in a timely manner. It typically takes 3-5 weeks for the book stipend to get sent from the date of certification.

If you don't get it by Wednesday or so, call the VA. 1-888-442-4551.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

moker posted:

They took away 3,000 from my refund for some reason randomly....had to play phone tag for 45 minutes to get it back. Be sure to stay on top of y'alls poo poo because they seem to make plenty of errors often

This is a matter of the VA trying to recover the $3000 advances made to thousands of military members back when the Post-9/11 GI Bill wasn't properly financed. Except for some reason they are taking said advances back when the individual never took advantage of the bill.

In any case, they are required to notify you of their intent (even though several guys I've talked to got that notification over a year ago, forgot about it, and just now got their pension docked), and I'm glad they were willing to correct the fuckup in your situation.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Let's just say I'm glad I'm working almost 30 hours a week at my stupid part time job thanks to the new post 9/11 bill rules. I won't be able to have any fun til October, but I'm still not paying for college so I guess it evens out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

As for the stipend change, I've been advising my students to talk to their VRE councilor. They sure as gently caress haven't passed any information over to me :(

Quoting ya for the nth time. Spoke to my counselor today, just need to run in and sign some form tomorrow. Anyone else on VR&E should consult your counselor, as it at least doubles the current housing stipend. I'll know the form number tomorrow. No word on how my SLRP/Post-9/11 ratio will play into it, if at all (probably not, from what I gather).

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Has anyone ever dropped a class? I'm concerned about the effect it will have on my BAH.

Dropping the class will leave me well above 12 credits, so I'm not worried about going less than full-time. I am concerned that the VA will see the refund from the school and freak out and not pay me on 1OCT.

Additionally I just missed the 100% drop refund date so I assume I'll have to pay the difference out of pocket. Will the VA care about that? Should I talk to the school VA rep?

Thanks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

camino posted:

Has anyone ever dropped a class? I'm concerned about the effect it will have on my BAH.

Dropping the class will leave me well above 12 credits, so I'm not worried about going less than full-time. I am concerned that the VA will see the refund from the school and freak out and not pay me on 1OCT.

Additionally I just missed the 100% drop refund date so I assume I'll have to pay the difference out of pocket. Will the VA care about that? Should I talk to the school VA rep?

Thanks.

As long as your school bills like 99.99% of other schools, you will be fine. "Full Time" is typically 12+ credits if your school uses Semester Hours. 12, 15, 18, 21 credits, doesn't matter, the bill is the same. So long as you are still full time, you don't have to tell anybody and there is no bill generated.

An issue would be if you dropped down to part time, in which the bill would have to be adjusted to the VA. In either case, you would not have any out of pocket expenses.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Vasudus posted:

For those who took the Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that you do indeed get the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The bad news is that the timer for qualifying service starts after your SLRP obligation is completed, which is 3 years. So if you took SLRP, to qualify at 100% Post 9/11 you had to have done 6 years of active time. I hope you got your money's worth out of SLRP.

For our commissioned goons, the same applies as it does for SLRP. You have to finish your commitment to AD time before the clock starts. Six year commitment -> 9 years AD time to get full Post 9/11 eligibility.

Great thread. Can I get more information on this SLRP poo poo?

I was AD AF for 6 years from Apr 2005 to April 2011. When I signed up in 2005 I opted for the SLRP and they paid 10k worth of outstanding loan debt. Upon doing this I believe I forfeited my rights to the old MGIB. Fast forward to 2008 when they came out with the 9/11 GI Bill. I'm pretty sure I read in a memo through my work/base email at some point that even though I took the SLRP back in the day, I'm still 100% for the new GI Bill. I've been under that impression ever since.

The VA hasn't said poo poo otherwise, either. I talked to them over the summer a couple times regarding the processing of my 9/11 approval package. I'm enrolled full time now. My school submitted the paper work about 3 weeks ago, just as school was starting, so hopefully I'll be hearing something soon.

Maybe I'm good for the 9/11.. Maybe I'm not and they botched it up in my favor like typical federal employees..

What is your take on this?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

davey4283 posted:

Great thread. Can I get more information on this SLRP poo poo?

I was AD AF for 6 years from Apr 2005 to April 2011. When I signed up in 2005 I opted for the SLRP and they paid 10k worth of outstanding loan debt. Upon doing this I believe I forfeited my rights to the old MGIB. Fast forward to 2008 when they came out with the 9/11 GI Bill. I'm pretty sure I read in a memo through my work/base email at some point that even though I took the SLRP back in the day, I'm still 100% for the new GI Bill. I've been under that impression ever since.

The VA hasn't said poo poo otherwise, either. I talked to them over the summer a couple times regarding the processing of my 9/11 approval package. I'm enrolled full time now. My school submitted the paper work about 3 weeks ago, just as school was starting, so hopefully I'll be hearing something soon.

Maybe I'm good for the 9/11.. Maybe I'm not and they botched it up in my favor like typical federal employees..

What is your take on this?

Post 9/11 GI Bill Time = (Enlistment Time) - (SLRP Time)

Since you did 6 with SLRP, you take 3 off. Leaves you with 3, which is 100%. The only time you can possibly get hosed is if you are somehow short time like if you got an early ETS. I have a guy who is 90% because he got out of the marines 3 months early.

The ONLY thing you don't get is the 1200 back that everyone else put into MGIB. But it's really not bonus money since you had to put that 1200 in years ago.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Awesome, Thanks for the info.. One less thing I've gotta worry about.

If I'm lucky/hopefully I'll get my BAH at the end of the month.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

davey4283 posted:

Awesome, Thanks for the info.. One less thing I've gotta worry about.

If I'm lucky/hopefully I'll get my BAH at the end of the month.

Certificate processing time takes ~1.5-2 weeks. So long as your certificate was sent in via VA-ONCE this week, you should get paid on the last working day of this month. If you took a few days worth of classes in August (mine were 29-31) you will get paid for those at that time as well.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Wife qualifies for pell grants, am I able to use pell grants+ USAF TA to pay for my tuition and books. I know USAF TA will not allow you to pay for books. But can I somehow use my pell grants for that purpose?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

Wife qualifies for pell grants, am I able to use pell grants+ USAF TA to pay for my tuition and books. I know USAF TA will not allow you to pay for books. But can I somehow use my pell grants for that purpose?

You can use your pell grants for whatever you want after the balance is paid for your school. What will likely happen is that one or the other will kick you into a negative balance, which will then be refunded to you typically in the first week in October.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

HClChicken posted:

As far as I understand it, Pell Grants/FAFSA just go straight to your account. So you can use it for books or just buy a new computer like everyone i know.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Can you be part time to qualify for pell grants?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

HClChicken posted:

I think it all goes by income level.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

Yes, but you get a reduced amount. The max is 5500/year for dirt poor full time students and goes from there.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Vasudus posted:

Certificate processing time takes ~1.5-2 weeks. So long as your certificate was sent in via VA-ONCE this week, you should get paid on the last working day of this month. If you took a few days worth of classes in August (mine were 29-31) you will get paid for those at that time as well.

Veterans Administration posted:

An enrollment certification for the period(s) below has been submitted to the VA. 8/25/2011 to 12/16/2011 for Credit Hours: 3, Distance Hours: 0 8/26/2011 to 10/14/2011 for Credit Hours: 1, Distance Hours: 0 8/29/2011 to 12/13/2011 for Credit Hours: 4, Distance Hours: 0 8/30/2011 to 12/16/2011 for Credit Hours: 4, Distance Hours: 0 10/26/2011 to 12/15/2011 for Credit Hours: 3, Distance Hours: 0 This was submitted by a certifying official from the MILWAUKEE AREA TECH COLLEGE (MATC) on 9/14/2011. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

Got home and had this email waitin for me :cool:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

davey4283 posted:

Got home and had this email waitin for me :cool:

That is the gayest way to certify anybody ever. Did they seriously certify you FIVE TIMES for your semester? The 1 credit 8 week course ok fine, but seriously, four certs for 15 week classes because the dates were off a few days?

Do it once, 15 credits 8/25/11 to 12/16/11. The school is paid exactly the same, the VA pays the school exactly the same, the student's benefits are expended exactly the same and it doesn't give some poor sap on the other end a heart attack.

gently caress me that's some terrible paperwork. No wonder you guys have problems sometimes.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

On the subject of pell grants , my old va rep at my other school was awesome and took care of everything for me and I was just getting checks in the mail, pell grant being one of them. My question is, other then filling out my fafsa( it gave me a projected pell grant amount) what do I need to do to get the money ? I've already paid tuition in full so i have no balance with my school.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kanish posted:

On the subject of pell grants , my old va rep at my other school was awesome and took care of everything for me and I was just getting checks in the mail, pell grant being one of them. My question is, other then filling out my fafsa( it gave me a projected pell grant amount) what do I need to do to get the money ? I've already paid tuition in full so i have no balance with my school.

My school automatically has any grants/loans placed in your school account and typically after the VA pays the school you get them as a refund. Not sure for other places but this is how mine works

e: Call your school's VA office assuming it has one :p

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 15, 2011

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

moker posted:

My school automatically has any grants/loans placed in your school account and typically after the VA pays the school you get them as a refund. Not sure for other places but this is how mine works

e: Call your school's VA office assuming it has one :p

I essentially transferred community colleges to a different area because I moved, and im not using any gi bill right now because I'm saving for when I transfer to a larger university ( more expensive) and I only have so many months left. However, this new school has no real va rep, so i was wondering if there was additional applications to fill out for pell grants or by doing my fafsa they automatically send it to the school who then reimburses me?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Re: FAFSA/loans/grants

Typically you fill out the FAFSA online (duh) and get it sent to your school. Your school's financial aid office gets these, and typically notifies you of this. Once add/drop is over (usually first week - week and a half) your bill is finalized and funds begin to be dispersed. First the school gets paid, a negative balance is typically created, and the difference is sent to you. Your school will likely first try and do a direct deposit if you have given them your information, otherwise they mail you a check at your home of record.

Contact your financial aid office in regards to specifics, as every school operates differently to a degree. Almost universally, funds will be dispersed towards the last week in September (A-M) to the first week in October (N-Z).

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Ok.

Still haven't received my book stipend. Can't get in touch with my VA counselor at my school -- he hasn't answered any emails or phone calls and I'm at an internship so seeing him in person is next to impossible. I've tried calling the VA number, and on three different occasions have been on hold for over 30 minutes before giving up in frustration.

At this point I have no idea when I'm going to get it, if I should expect September funds, or what I can do about it. I've been on the GI Bill since 07 and this is the first time I've had any issues with it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

King of Spit posted:

Ok.

Still haven't received my book stipend. Can't get in touch with my VA counselor at my school -- he hasn't answered any emails or phone calls and I'm at an internship so seeing him in person is next to impossible. I've tried calling the VA number, and on three different occasions have been on hold for over 30 minutes before giving up in frustration.

At this point I have no idea when I'm going to get it, if I should expect September funds, or what I can do about it. I've been on the GI Bill since 07 and this is the first time I've had any issues with it.

Use the VA's 'Ask a Question' feature on the GI Bill website. Takes 2-3 working days to get back a written response.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
OK, a month and a half after I set up a payment plan with FedDebt I'm still getting almost daily calls from DCS about it, claiming I owe them $3800 and that they are reviewing my account to get it garnished from my wages. If this poo poo isn't cleared up by October I'm going to start calling congressmen one by one until one of them agrees that this is utter bullshit. There's no way in hell I'm paying $800 in interest on money that was loving mine to begin with.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
I'd like to give the VA credit for reducing the backlog of claims. Back in 2009 the GI Bill thread was mostly about exchanging Top Ramen recipes because it took several months to get cash. Now it's a couple weeks (for most people).

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/VA-Post-9-11-GI-Bill-backlog-eliminated-2172937.php

Now if they could only fix the compensation claims backlog and all the other stupid problems people are going through.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Finally got all my paperwork submitted. Next stop, payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The school I'm attending has a new VA counselor. And he's already messed up big time. The VA is taking a really, really long rear end time sending my certificate to give to the school. He told all the veterans that didn't have one yet that they will be OK and the cashier's office will know not to drop them.

The day of non-payment drop I went in with my application that I submitted on eBenefits to make absolutely certain I would not get dropped for non-payment (I really would not like to pay extra fees out of my pocket for dumb poo poo like that) and he said that the director recently told him that everyone without certificate is being dropped at midnight. He talked to the director and got the OK that I could be on the do not drop list since I was so serious about making sure I was not going to be dropped.

I guess in the past they have added all the veterans to the do not drop list then when classes start a lot of them just don't show up. So I can see where he's coming from, but there was no effort to contact anyone about it. So when they re-register they have a $75 fee for being dropped by the cashier's office.

So I'm sure this week he has hundreds of angry veterans busting down his door (He said there were around 800 veterans attending this semester). Hell, many of them might not even know since he assured so many of them they would be fine, and I'm doubting he's putting effort into e-mailing or calling anyone.

Luckily I have enough money saved up for books since it is going to be a while before I get any sort of payment. The last time I called the VA they said I was still in queue for approval.

• Locked thread