Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Scionix posted:

I just wanted to know if anyone in the thread owns a mionix naos 5000? I bought one a while back and it is bar none the best mouse I've ever owned. If you can shell out 80 bux I would recommend it.
I've looked at them online and thought about trying one. Can you give some details on why you like it so much? I encourage you to be verbose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Copper Vein posted:

:words:

So, basically, G500 is the better mouse but you don't use it because it has the shittier SetPoint instead of LGS? :v:

I play quite a lot, but never really used the software. Do you really use it that much as to justify using objectively inferior mouse just because of it?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Copper Vein posted:

I've looked at them online and thought about trying one. Can you give some details on why you like it so much? I encourage you to be verbose.

A.) If you're right handed, it's so, so comfortable hold. You'll feel awkward with the big 'ole finger rest on the right at first, but then you won't want to use any other mouse ever again.

B. The surface is really, really nice. It's rubbery black, not a plastic, so the whole mouse feels really solid under your hand and it's way nicer to feel in general. Also, I don't know if anyone has this problem but me, but I have really sweaty hands and after awhile with plastic mice gunk tends to get on the surface from my sweaty hands, and you have to clean it. Not so with this surface.

C.) You can weigh the mouse. Some people don't care but I like my mouse to be a brick, so it's way on the heavy side with the weights in.

D.) The scroll wheel owns and is also covered in rubber. The clicking action is really good. The thumb buttons are big and even with my tiny man baby hands I can hit both easily. Not to mention the mouse is big enough with the finger rest if you have huge hands you'll be just as comfortable with it.

E.) On the fly dpi, etc. You can turn the lights off (or make them bright pink, if that's your thing). Software is really tight and game profiles save to the hardware in case you find yourself without it. No unavoidable acceleration, angle snapping, etc, as well as macro possibilities and anything else you can think of.

F.) I love the way it looks, and the cable is really nice. Mionix branded stuff is sturdy, unassuming, and comfy. (albeit expensive)

:goonsay:

Scionix fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 29, 2011

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

So, basically, G500 is the better mouse but you don't use it because it has the shittier SetPoint instead of LGS? :v:

I play quite a lot, but never really used the software. Do you really use it that much as to justify using objectively inferior mouse just because of it?
Yes, I use that software that much. I use a modded G13 thumbstick to move instead of WASD so I'm using LGS to set that up for every game. It's super nice to have software handle my mouse as perfectly as it is handling my keyboard.

I'm trying to wean myself off of mouse binding, actually, so that I can instantly switch between a Logitech, Razer, Steelseries, Zowie, etc without setting anything up except for DPI. I'm still searching for my perfect mouse.

I disliked the G500 the first time I grasped it. I don't like the texture, the button sizing or placement, or that wheel. I'd steer anyone away from it that cared to listen, but that wouldn't be being objective.

Asking me to justify a G400 is kind of a confrontational way of putting it. Where software customization is a concern, LGS is top shelf, and for the next month or so, the G400 is the only game in town.

Now if we're going to be subjective, and only talk about how a mouse feels when in use, out of my growing stable of $50 mice, the Zowie smokes the lot. My favorite shape, slickest and smoothest glide, firm clicking, and a monster truck mouse wheel are all unfortunately coupled to a mouse with no software or drivers at all, leaving me SOL when I'm wanting a 6th command on my mouse.

And while I'm putting up text blocks of mouse minutiae:

Goo:
LGS mouse support could use onscreen DPI switching using the wheel and the ability to set specific functions to mwheel up and down. I can do stuff with that.

The hotbar selecting in DXHR seems backwards to me and I was wanting to invert the wheel. I found I could do so with my Razer Imperator, but the extra button placement on that isn't preferable to the G400 for how I'm binding.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So does the G400 not have a tilt-wheel?

I would consider it a good thing if it didn't. I love my G500 but I really dislike the tilt-wheel, it's useless and flimsy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Goo is Logitech's long-time community guy for gaming mice and poo poo.

Goo posted:

The wheel of the G400 is physically identical to the wheel of the MX518.

And the MX518 does not have one of those garbage-rear end wheels. Also you might want to wait for the G300 because it looks to be really loving great.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

No tilt wheel on the G400. Just a standard, non-descript job.

I feel it's shallower with less resistance than you'll commonly find in a gaming mouse, if one compares it to the wheels on Razer mice or the Zowie. Some mice wheels are stiff enough that the entire mouse will slide if you push against the wheel with your finger, and I find this preferable.

I'm not scrolling pages with my gaming mice, I'm switching weapons. I like them purpose built.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whats a 'gaming-grade laser' and how is it different from a regular laser?

edit: anyone tried a Zowie mouse? Are they built well?

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 30, 2011

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Copper Vein posted:

I feel it's shallower with less resistance than you'll commonly find in a gaming mouse, if one compares it to the wheels on Razer mice or the Zowie. Some mice wheels are stiff enough that the entire mouse will slide if you push against the wheel with your finger, and I find this preferable.

I'm not scrolling pages with my gaming mice, I'm switching weapons. I like them purpose built.

You know what you have to do.

*coughnaoscaugh*

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Copper Vein posted:

The original boomslang from back in like 2001 had the absolute best mouse wheel for this reason.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Tom Foolery posted:

Give me a good reason not to do things this way and I might consider it.
Open boxes are normally returned by the retailer to the manufacturer as "defective" for credit. They cannot ever be sold again through retail as new units - even if they are determined not to be defective. They have to be sold by the manufacturer as refurbished or clearly marked as open box by the retailer (if the retailer chooses not to send them back).

Depending on the product, buy/try/return can end up costing the manufacturer more than if you had never bought their product in the first place.

K8.0 posted:

Goo is Logitech's long-time community guy for gaming mice and poo poo.
I'm a product manager, but yeah. :)

Copper Vein posted:

Goo:
LGS mouse support could use onscreen DPI switching using the wheel and the ability to set specific functions to mwheel up and down. I can do stuff with that.

The hotbar selecting in DXHR seems backwards to me and I was wanting to invert the wheel. I found I could do so with my Razer Imperator, but the extra button placement on that isn't preferable to the G400 for how I'm binding.
I'll see about having that get put on the list of requested features but I would honestly not expect to see anything like that any time soon.

Salt Fish posted:

Whats a 'gaming-grade laser' and how is it different from a regular laser?
It really has to do with how much detail the sensor gets off the surface, how fast it gets and processes those images, and how much manipulation can be done with that information. A gaming sensor is also able to keep up with faster hand movements, deal with higher acceleration values, work on more surfaces, and overall be more precise even at the same DPI value as a standard sensor.

Goo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 30, 2011

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Goo: Why is the M500 such an amazing mouse that nobody ever talks about and what's the grip on it called?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Goo posted:

I'm a product manager, but yeah. :)

You probably have nothing to do with tech support, but I anthromorphized my 3 year old MX518 in a tale of woe I wrote to tech support (inspired by 'E-mail a company' in GBS) to see if they'd still replace it (shows up as a broken USB device in Windows).

Got a new G400 in the mail today :3:

RIP Jenkins.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Eh, I like the G500 wheel. Not as precise as I want it to be but depending on the game/if I want to bother setting it up in Setpoint, tilting left/right can be read as buttons too.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

movax posted:

You probably have nothing to do with tech support, but I anthromorphized my 3 year old MX518 in a tale of woe I wrote to tech support (inspired by 'E-mail a company' in GBS) to see if they'd still replace it (shows up as a broken USB device in Windows).

Got a new G400 in the mail today :3:

RIP Jenkins.
I hope the G400 serves you as well as Jenkins did. I was in tech support from March 1996 until June 1997. The guy who currently does the job I used to do (senior gaming support tech) is awesome.

Verviticus - I don't know offhand, but I would guess it's a soft touch paint or actual rubber.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Now that I've broken my second Sidewinder X8 in 2 months, I'm gonna need a new mouse. Enough with these.

Does anyone have any words about the Logitech G700? It seems to be the closest thing to what I'm looking for, but it's getting a bad wrap for battery life from reviews I've read.

I wish Microsoft would commit to more than 4 months of selling any physical product. Oh well.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Monkey Lincoln posted:

Now that I've broken my second Sidewinder X8 in 2 months, I'm gonna need a new mouse. Enough with these.

Does anyone have any words about the Logitech G700? It seems to be the closest thing to what I'm looking for, but it's getting a bad wrap for battery life from reviews I've read.

I wish Microsoft would commit to more than 4 months of selling any physical product. Oh well.

Obviously you should just buy an xbox 306 :v:

The good news is that if you break a Logitech, they'll most likely replace it for free. I don't have any personal experience with the G700, but their customer service is excellent. The mouse itself is most likely good, just be aware that it uses the steaming pile that is Setpoint.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Monkey Lincoln posted:

What exactly are you looking for in a mouse? # of buttons, programability, DPI switching, etc?

If it has to be wireless then it is between a G700 and Razer Mamba, which is essentially a wireless Deathadder.

The G700 will give you more options by far, but I can't speak to it's ergonomics or feel as I've never used one.

The Mamba got a new dual sensor version recently so you might be able to find the old version on eBay or amazon cheaper. I find it to be a comfortable mouse.

Edit: I forgot that Logitech has some wireless MX mice that are not being marketed as gaming mice, so I overlooked them.

They probably don't use the "Gaming" version of the Setpoint software, so I'd guess that programming and profile options are somewhat reduced compared to the G700. Does anybody know if they have DPI switching?

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 1, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The VX Revolution (released at the same time as the original MX Revolution) didn't.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Oh yeah it's helpful if I let you know what I'm looking for. Doy.

-Ergonomic seems like a moot point since everything is in some way.
-Back-foward buttons that are above and below each other, not horizontal
-Macro recording on the fly would be great
-DPI switching on the fly, be it through a list or just 2-3 settings
-Scroll wheel doesn't need to tilt, but it would be great if it doesn't do that thing where the wheel clicking doesn't line up right so grazing the wheel switches weapons on me.
-Software has automatic loading game profiles for those few, awesome games that won't let me set Mouse4 as a button.

I love that this switches from cordless to corded by clicking the wire onto the bottom, but that's not a necessity either. Same with swappable feet pads. I bought both of mine from Newegg, 6 and 2 months ago, and Microsoft is refunding me for both. I think I'm the only person on the planet who's had better luck with Microsoft support than Logitech.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

You didn't say if it had to be wireless but I'm guessing that's what you want. You want a G700.

Razer software doesn't do automatic profile switching.

Vertically aligned side buttons are kind of rare, but the G700 has a cluster if four so you can have it both ways. It also has the "hyperscrolling" tilt wheel, which you or may not like.

You'll have up to 5 DPI setpoints to toggle between, but no instant DPI wheel selector with on screen display like the Razers have.

I've never seen on-the-fly macros in mouse software. Did the Sidewinder do this?

If you can deal with a wired mouse, look into the G400, as it has the most programming options and best interface, but horizontal side buttons. Also look into the upcoming ambidextrous G300.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I have a G700 and I really dig it. I tend to use my g9x more for gaming because I loving love that mouse. But the g700 is an absolutely fantastic mouse. The battery life isn't fantastic, but I just plug the drat thing in when it goes out and by morning it's obviously full. I get a couple days of juice.

You could always purchase a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger from amazon and never really have to worry.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Mine's plugged in 80% of the time I use it. I could go with it being either wireless or not really.

But all that sounds great. Picking one up tonight.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Is the G9x not cool anymore?

I bought mine about a year ago and I'm absolutely loving it. It's comfortable, you can change the weights in it, the wheel can change from free spinning to clicking, you can change mouse sensitivity directly on the mouse instead of going into a configuration, and it has 2 different shells you can pick from (smooth and rough).

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Just two posts above you I mentioned that I actually use the g9x more then my g700 as I am a heavy FPS gamer. As a claw grip user that mouse just owns. The sensor, the feel, the sleek look.. Its great.

Although, why the gently caress did they put the button to switch the scroll from free spin to click on the bottom of the mouse?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The overall height of the product, dimensions of the wheel module, and internal space constraints all drove that decision.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

The VX Revolution (released at the same time as the original MX Revolution) didn't.

Still the best mouse I ever owned, and the last of the really good ones (before the new "Darkfield" sensors that chew through batteries). I'm still loving pissed the Logitech (Australia) refused to replace mine after it died because I threw out the box that said "5 Year Warranty!" on it after they retroactively changed all product warranties to 3 years.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ThaGrandCow posted:

Is the G9x not cool anymore?

I bought mine about a year ago and I'm absolutely loving it. It's comfortable, you can change the weights in it, the wheel can change from free spinning to clicking, you can change mouse sensitivity directly on the mouse instead of going into a configuration, and it has 2 different shells you can pick from (smooth and rough).

I've used logitech mice for 20 years and surprisingly the G9x was the most short lived.
The rubberized shell lasted about 8 months before getting disintegrated and gummy and the click wheel lost it's clickiness after about a year.

I found all the adjustments you could make to the mouse were a hassle, like having too many seat adjustments in a car and never being able to find a comfortable setting. I understand it's a personal thing.

Currently liking my M510.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Verviticus posted:

Goo: Why is the M500 such an amazing mouse that nobody ever talks about and what's the grip on it called?
I had this mouse. The grip was nice, the shape was awesome, and I absolutely loved the freewheel (and how easily you could switch!); plus, it was a decent price at Microcenter when I needed a mouse and couldn't wait for shipping. I used it for several months but in the end it just didn't have sufficient refresh rate for gaming. At least in low-sens Quake it would impact my game and I could reproducibly cause it to lose tracking with swift movements, on several surfaces and a couple different machines. I kind of miss it for browsing -- being able to flick halfway down a long page with some degree of precision was a fun skill to acquire and use. The G9x has the freewheel selector on the bottom of the mouse (!) and it's too loose to leave on for gaming and not "worth it" (judging by my habits) to flip the thing over every time I switch.

tl;dr slap a decent tracking implement in the thing and I would probably use no other mouse.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

The overall height of the product, dimensions of the wheel module, and internal space constraints all drove that decision.
One of my main complaints about the G9 is that it doesn't have the auto-switch from free to clicky like the MX Revolution does. That feature is very useful. Do the newer Logitech mice have it?

Xanar
Feb 22, 2006

Dominoes posted:

One of my main complaints about the G9 is that it doesn't have the auto-switch from free to clicky like the MX Revolution does. That feature is very useful. Do the newer Logitech mice have it?

The MX performance does not have it. Can't speak for any of the other newer mice though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dominoes posted:

Most of the new mice just have a mechanical switch button right behind the wheel (some of the smaller models have it on the bottom instead). I don't believe the super-wheel can be toggled through software anymore; I assume it wasn't worth the hassle and production costs.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

NihilCredo posted:

I assume it wasn't worth the hassle and production costs.
A disclaimer here is that I have no idea what the actual history on the auto-clutching wheel is, but I will add some additional insight.

In a broad product development sense, it always comes down to what consumers are willing to pay for. If a specific feature is not worth the added cost to consumers it doesn't always get to stay in the product line. Or, sometimes it's determined through research that the additional cost would be better spent improving other features. It's about optimizing the feature set to meet the market's needs. Sometimes this does mean that features some people like get dropped, though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well, it's barely been 1 year and my Imperator is dying. Making the switch to Logitech when I get enough money for a G500 and not looking back.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

A disclaimer here is that I have no idea what the actual history on the auto-clutching wheel is, but I will add some additional insight.

In a broad product development sense, it always comes down to what consumers are willing to pay for. If a specific feature is not worth the added cost to consumers it doesn't always get to stay in the product line. Or, sometimes it's determined through research that the additional cost would be better spent improving other features. It's about optimizing the feature set to meet the market's needs. Sometimes this does mean that features some people like get dropped, though.
The MX Revolution has the best scroll wheel I've used. I had assumed it would become the standard for future mice.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Steelseries is having a nice sale right now. 50% off anything Blizzard related and 30% everything else. You can order a new Cataclysm mouse from them for $50 if that's your thing, or pick up mousepads at a nice discount.

I ordered a QCK Heavy for $22 shipped.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

couldcareless posted:

Well, it's barely been 1 year and my Imperator is dying. Making the switch to Logitech when I get enough money for a G500 and not looking back.

I'm really not impressed by the build quality of Razer stuff. Anecdotally, of course, but still..

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

HalloKitty posted:

I'm really not impressed by the build quality of Razer stuff. Anecdotally, of course, but still..

My Deathadder has done me pretty well. Lots of travelling in it's life, lots of pissed off gaming sessions, lots of nerd-sweat etc. The worst thing that it ever does it accumulate that nerd gunk on the side that creeps into the thumb buttons. It doesn't affect performance but it looks icky. I'd say it's definitely not for claw users, though. If you palm your mouse and are built like an average stereotypical goon, you can't go wrong with a properly built Deathadder.

edit: Also the DA isn't ambidextrous (though if you have a need for this design you wouldn't even be looking at this mouse)

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Copper Vein posted:

Steelseries is having a nice sale right now.

I don't really need a new mouse at the moment, but does anyone know if any of their headsets are any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
Has anyone had any experience with the Mionix Naos 5000?

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=naos5000

I haven't even heard of Mionix before but it seems like a pretty solid mouse from the video reviews I've watched, I would like some unbiased goon opinions though.

Sometime soon I'll be buying either a Naos 5000, RAT 7 or a Naga..

If anyone can weigh in with anything, I'd be very appreciative!