Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Budget 1500 if you want to do inverted front forks, 1200 if you don't. That'll cover everything.

Why are usd's better than regular forks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pete posted:

Now I just need to buy a GoPro to film the hooliganism..

It should be illegal to not own a GoPro if you have a Supermoto

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

KARMA! posted:

Why are usd's better than regular forks?

Lower unsprung mass, but the reason he would change to upside down forks is to get the DRZ-SM forks, which are better set up for supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

Lower unsprung mass, but the reason he would change to upside down forks is to get the DRZ-SM forks, which are better set up for supermoto.

The triples have better offset for sumo as well, which is why it'd be good to get a set of SM triples too. Then you can bolt up RMZ forks or a bunch of other options.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Would the SM forks or RMZ forks be better for offroad than the stock SM forks? I'm to scared of the law to really hoon it up on public streets. I have a ton of trails etc. near me and I plan on taking the DRZ camping a lot and playing offroad a good bit.

(My boss is the head of traffic and tickets are about 5x worse for me than a normal person.)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pete posted:

Now I just need to buy a GoPro to film the hooliganism..

Not sure what your feelings or preferance are but the ContourHD is now selling for $140, about $100 cheaper than the GoPro. I picked one up but haven't had time to test it yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arent the SM forks just revalved RM units?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not sure what your feelings or preferance are but the ContourHD is now selling for $140, about $100 cheaper than the GoPro. I picked one up but haven't had time to test it yet.

The WindnoiseHD may be a better deal, but the millionth time it failed to record you doing something awesome and just randomly turned off you'll wish you had just bought a GoPro

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

The WindnoiseHD may be a better deal, but the millionth time it failed to record you doing something awesome and just randomly turned off you'll wish you had just bought a GoPro

Not to mention the new 960p GoPro is pretty reasonable. Sack up and buy a goddamn GoPro, Pete :argh:

Yesterday was a sad day - the 625 left my possession and I am now streetbikeless. FEAR NOT! I will be rejoining the ranks of 'tards everywhere a week from today... When I pick up a 690!!!

:dance:holyshitIcannotwait:dance:

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.
Yeah I've been looking at the ContourHD, for the money it's good but comparisons on YouTube show how the £100 extra is worth for the GoPro - the colours are so much brighter.

Currently have a very painful wrist from incorrect positioned clutch lever, so I think I'm out of SM action for a while.... :gay:

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Since the discussion seems to have turned to cameras, I'll guess I'll ask here. Am I the only one who has their movie quality from a GoPro turn to total unwatchable poo poo once it's uploaded to Youtube?

Stuff looks gorgeous on my hard drive, but even when I upload it unedited it turns into a big blurry mess as soon as it's up on Youtube. Pisses me off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Symphoric posted:

Since the discussion seems to have turned to cameras, I'll guess I'll ask here. Am I the only one who has their movie quality from a GoPro turn to total unwatchable poo poo once it's uploaded to Youtube?

Stuff looks gorgeous on my hard drive, but even when I upload it unedited it turns into a big blurry mess as soon as it's up on Youtube. Pisses me off.

Are you following the Youtube codec guidelines? Seen here http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=55744

Otherwise, step up to Vimeo, which tends to crush things less, but does impose upload limits without a pro account. Their guidelines are here: http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

The GoPro shoots in .MP4 (mpeg4) native, which YouTube claims to support. Even if I upload straight off the camera it looks like utter rear end once it's up.

Edit: Ooops, maybe I'm wrong. MP4 is an index file I guess. Maybe I can straighten this out.
Double Edit: Nope, I notice I've tried converting to straight mpeg before uploading in the past and the videos still look awful. Guess I'll give Vimeo a try.
Triple Edit: I think all these places really just hate the 60 FPS. Gonna try re-encoding at 30 FPS and see if it comes out better.
Quadruple Edit: Now the videos look like poo poo before I upload them. Guess I can't win.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 1, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Did you try to re-encode to h.246 with the highest settings possible with Super? That usually does the trick.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

H.264 using Adobe Premier on the highest quality setting. Will give Super a try though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you need a converter, MPEG Streamclip is free and pretty good.

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.

Symphoric posted:

H.264 using Adobe Premier on the highest quality setting. Will give Super a try though.

Sell your cam to me for £5? It's broken man..

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Pete posted:

Sell your cam to me for £5? It's broken man..

Oh well, okay... HEY WAIT A SECOND!

But as I said, the video looks gorgeous right up til the point I upload it to the internet, when it turns to poo poo. Obviously I'm encoding in a way that these video websites don't like but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

edit: vvvv One of my buddies has a Contour and it has been pretty solid for him. Give it a try, you might like it. vvvv

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 1, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oh well, guess I should have looked into it a bit more. I'll give it a try and if not send it to Dad to use on the glider or sell to someone at a couple buck loss. Still have my original gopro as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Symphoric posted:

Oh well, okay... HEY WAIT A SECOND!

But as I said, the video looks gorgeous right up til the point I upload it to the internet, when it turns to poo poo. Obviously I'm encoding in a way that these video websites don't like but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

edit: vvvv One of my buddies has a Contour and it has been pretty solid for him. Give it a try, you might like it. vvvv

Can you provide a link to what you're describing as unwatchable poo poo? I render out of Premiere in H264, and I think things look fine to OK on youtube. Perhaps our standards of decency are just different?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Also, are you letting it finish processing? It'll look like poo poo until youtube is done processing.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Here's one in 1080p so it's not as smooth as it could be but it looks like utter poo poo compared to what's on my hard drive. It is possible that it's just my standards and I'm expecting too much from YouTube though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkTYQgAkwdM

Edit: I've noticed, by looking at a lot of other people's videos, that the same thing seems to happen to many other people, but there are definitely some on there that look much much better than mine.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 1, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It gets better when you switch youtube to one of the HD modes, but yeah, that does look pretty rough.

For example, this is all GoPro footage, but on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/26519971

And this is the exact same video (same source video as was uploaded to vimeo) on youtube. The motion pieces are much muddier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtExdVwgKnE

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah THAT is what mine looks like before I upload it. I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm doing wrong because I am an idiot.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'll figure this out somehow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Halp me I am selling my 690.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Your 690 is garbage, I will fly to CA and give you $1000 for it. Thats all its worth, trust me.

E: for real though, why?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Your 690 is garbage, I will fly to CA and give you $1000 for it. Thats all its worth, trust me.

E: for real though, why?

It's a horrible bike, everything I have said about it is a lie.

Seriously: I have no place for this motorcycle. Do you have any idea how pissed cops get when you pull multigear wheelies? Or stoppies? Or back it in? I'm moving back to the Bay Area soon, I'm not gonna commute on it, if I'm gonna track/sumo/dirt on the weekend, I may as well get a dedicated bike for each of those.

It's a fantastic bike. It's easily the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I'm selling it because it simply cannot be ridden the way I want to ride it without endless grief from the police. It's in great shape, I've loved every mile I've turned on it, but it's time for something a little more sane. I'll keep the insanity for the track and downgrade to something a little less absurdly brilliant for street use.

If I lived in a place with no traffic laws, I'd never sell it.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I wouldn't have even known wheelies were illegal if not for reading it in this thread. I don't think they even mentioned it when I took the MSF, and all kinds of people were making jokes about them. I've seen people (not me, I can't wheelie for poo poo) wheelie right by cops around here and they don't even look twice. Speeding and general recklessness they jump all over, but not that.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Symphoric posted:

I wouldn't have even known wheelies were illegal if not for reading it in this thread. I don't think they even mentioned it when I took the MSF, and all kinds of people were making jokes about them. I've seen people (not me, I can't wheelie for poo poo) wheelie right by cops around here and they don't even look twice. Speeding and general recklessness they jump all over, but not that.

Wheelies are considered either reckless driving or exhibition of speed & power. It was a really big deal when I went to Laguna Seca for the 2010 MotoGP (I think it was 2010... What year is this?)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Seriously: I have no place for this motorcycle. Do you have any idea how pissed cops get when you pull multigear wheelies? Or stoppies? Or back it in? I'm moving back to the Bay Area soon, I'm not gonna commute on it, if I'm gonna track/sumo/dirt on the weekend, I may as well get a dedicated bike for each of those.

It's a fantastic bike. It's easily the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I'm selling it because it simply cannot be ridden the way I want to ride it without endless grief from the police. It's in great shape, I've loved every mile I've turned on it, but it's time for something a little more sane. I'll keep the insanity for the track and downgrade to something a little less absurdly brilliant for street use.

*twists handlebar moustache*
Good sir,

I'd gladly trade you straight across for my DRZ (avec mondo goodies, of course - big IMS tank (takes 4.9g to fill it to the top), Baja Designs lighting kit, 440 kit, all the stock parts, etc.)

Heck, it's a holiday weekend. I'll even meet you half way! (Cedar City, UT! GO!)

Surely this is an offer you can't refuse!

*grins*

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scumbag Z3n, buys your bike at a buddy price 6 months before you were planning on selling it, flips it for profit 6 months later

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Scumbag Z3n, buys your bike at a buddy price 6 months before you were planning on selling it, flips it for profit 6 months later

I told you you should have sold the wheels to Zool before you sold it to me :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Shameful doesn't even come close to describing the horrible horrible act you plan to commit.

:dawkins101:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Once again, DRZ supremacy :smugdog:

Seriously though I know where you're coming from. That is the exact reason I sold my GSXR. By the time it starts getting fun, you're doing something illegal.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a Ducati Monster I'd be willing to let go for a 1:1 trade. Great practical street bike, too. :smug:

Nah but seriously, what are you looking to get for it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I've got a Ducati Monster I'd be willing to let go for a 1:1 trade. Great practical street bike, too. :smug:

Nah but seriously, what are you looking to get for it?

It's listed in the marketplace thread. :) But the 6.8 listed there is negotiable.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Spiff:
How much did you sell it to z3n for and how much scrillah is he trying to make off it?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I told you you should have sold the wheels to Zool before you sold it to me :v:

Sold!? He was going to give them to me! :suicide:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Z3n's CA business plan:
1. Account for 40-50% of all posts in the forum
2. ...
3. Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

Spiff:
How much did you sell it to z3n for and how much scrillah is he trying to make off it?

I'm making ALL THE MONEY off of it. ALL OF IT.

Report that back to your silent minority overlords, you've done well today, Agent n8r, Investigative Internet Reporter. Truly, you have an unanticipated insight into my money making scheme.

Zool posted:

Sold!? He was going to give them to me! :suicide:

Well swing on down and pick them up!

Oh...:(

How's the leg healing up

• Locked thread