Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.
You know what's annoying, tuyop? And I mean really loving annoying? How you keep skipping over the serious comments and criticism to find the lighthearted comments that people throw in. You've avoided commenting on the vast majority of posts calling you on the tremendous amount of bullshit you do/have written in this thread (reference asmallrabbit's awesome post on the previous page), but you're on my socks comment like white on rice.

Good job, man. Way to act like you give a drat.

Edit: poo poo, new page. Need to make this count, so I'll quote these for easy reference:

tuyop posted:

Mastercard: December 2011
Laptop: January 2012
Visa: April 2012
Student loan: May 2013
Car Loan: May 2014

Alright thread, we've got a gauntlet thrown down. Who's taking bets as to how well these predictions will do, given the thread's progress so far?

T0MSERV0 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

T0MSERV0 posted:

You know what's annoying, tuyop? And I mean really loving annoying? How you keep skipping over the serious comments and criticism to find the lighthearted comments that people throw in. You've avoided commenting on the vast majority of posts calling you on the tremendous amount of bullshit you do/have written in this thread (reference asmallrabbit's awesome post on the previous page), but you're on my socks comment like white on rice.

Good job, man. Way to act like you give a drat.

Edit: poo poo, new page. Need to make this count, so I'll quote these for easy reference:

Alright thread, we've got a gauntlet thrown down. Who's taking bets as to how well these predictions will do, given the thread's progress so far?

So what do you people want from me?

As far as I can tell the major problems are:

1. Smoking and its rationalizations.
2. Lack of frozen vegetables and the contradictions with smoking.
3. Cost of underwear and its justifications.
4. Cost of socks?
5. Cost of boots?
6. Budget construction in general. Still don't know what a savings benchmark tab is or what to do with it or why I need one. This is a specific point I'd like education on.
7. Amount of "surprise" expenses.
8. Cost of haircuts.

1. I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want. Think of "smoking" as "prostitutes", "marijuana", "gambling", whatever makes you less irrationally upset. I'm an adult, I like smoking, it is a small vice that has little impact on my health over the short term and large social and psychological benefits. It also fits into my budget without a problem. And it does in fact repel mosquitoes. Try it sometime.

2. I would like to see the evidence that frozen/canned/dried vegetables are as good as fresh, local, organic vegetables in areas other than cost. Because even cooking most vegetables dramatically reduces their nutritional value.

3. I'm buying this underwear to replace underwear that I bought more than three years ago. I set up savings to pay for intermittent clothing expenditures. That account now has 200 earmarked for that, among other things. I am going to spend around 100 of it depending on how good of a deal I can find. I will build it back up this month. Since I have no other clothes to buy for the next 8 months, and the only other thing coming out of that account is an oil change in 3000 kilometers, I'm going to buy the underwear that I want and need.

4. My socks are 20-35 a pair, they last forever and I have three pairs still on the go from January. Two of the pairs are showing a bit of wear and will probably need to be replaced by February 2012. I'll do that the same way I'm doing the underwear.

5. Bought the boots in May. Returned the boots. Got money back. Used about half of the money back to buy new boots. It's old news and I really do need boots.

6. Yeah, if you could give me specifics that would be great. I've posted lots of screenshots but I can post more if needed.

7. Yeah, new to budgeting. Sorry. At least I met and exceeded my monthly goals for savings and debt repayment.

8. 26 a month. I spent 13 in August because of the timing of my field time (field is a haircut free zone). I'm probably getting another haircut next Wednesday. It's 26 dollars. I spend more on hummus and broccoli.

Anything else? More rationalizations or clarifications? What exactly do you want me to do with this information and your collective frustration?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

quote:

I like smoking, it is a small vice that has little impact on my health over the short term and large social and psychological benefits.

You actually said this. Holy poo poo.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Someone with 50k in debt shouldn't be buying hookers either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Please tell me what I should be doing. Living in a tent in the woods outside my work so that I can maximize my debt repayment and minimize enjoyment in my life? :allears:

CelestialScribe posted:

You actually said this. Holy poo poo.

As in, "That's an incredibly retarded thing to say." or "I can't believe you've admitted it."? Because of course I like smoking. Otherwise I wouldn't smoke. That's very obvious so I didn't even bother mentioning it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's a loving ridiculous thing to say. You are horrible with money and you will never learn.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want.
I like imagining this being said in Meatwad's voice.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Also, what woe-is-me bullshit?

tuyop posted:

/\/\/\ Please tell me what I should be doing. Living in a tent in the woods outside my work so that I can maximize my debt repayment and minimize enjoyment in my life? :allears:

:neckbeard:

tuyop posted:

As in, "That's an incredibly retarded thing to say." or "I can't believe you've admitted it."? Because of course I like smoking. Otherwise I wouldn't smoke. That's very obvious so I didn't even bother mentioning it.

You might just be the stupidest person to ever have posted in BFC.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

1. I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want. Think of "smoking" as "prostitutes", "marijuana", "gambling", whatever makes you less irrationally upset. I'm an adult, I like smoking, it is a small vice that has little impact on my health over the short term and large social and psychological benefits. It also fits into my budget without a problem. And it does in fact repel mosquitoes. Try it sometime.
Then why are you even budgeting, or asking us for opinions on your budget? After all, it's your money. Why not spend it on whatever yoy damned well want to? Oh right, it's because you're in debt and want to get out of debt. And people in debt shouldn't blow a ton of money on hookers/weed/gambling, either.

tuyop posted:

2. I would like to see the evidence that frozen/canned/dried vegetables are as good as fresh, local, organic vegetables in areas other than cost. Because even cooking most vegetables dramatically reduces their nutritional value.
:science: Freezing vegetables locks in the nutrients, and they might be even BETTER for you since they were picked & frozen when they were in season, instead of being shipped halfway around the world and losing quality all the while(of course, local veggies don't have that problem, but unless you can honestly say you only buy local veggies and limit yourself to what's in season...). You want evidence? Here's some about Vitamin C. Here's one that suggests that canned veggies are good too(along with frozen ones. And here's even more. There are slight changes, and they depend on the vegetable, but there's nothing drastic enough to make it worth spending a lot of extra money on fresh local veggies. Canned vegetables don't seem to be quite as good, but at least they're still vegetables. (PS: Organic food isn't actually better for you than normal food, and it's considerably more expensive. Not really something you should be buying if you're a nutrition-conscious guy on a budget.)

quote:

3. I'm buying this underwear to replace underwear that I bought more than three years ago. I set up savings to pay for intermittent clothing expenditures. That account now has 200 earmarked for that, among other things. I am going to spend around 100 of it depending on how good of a deal I can find. I will build it back up this month. Since I have no other clothes to buy for the next 8 months, and the only other thing coming out of that account is an oil change in 3000 kilometers, I'm going to buy the underwear that I want and need.
I think we all get that people need underwear, we just don't understand why you're spending $100 on it. Unless you're buying a shitload of underwear, then you're obviously buying very expensive underwear. And yes, you brought up the chafing issue, but it's hard to believe that there is only ONE brand of underwear that doesn't cause chafing for you(and it also happens to be one that's on the expensive side).

quote:

4. My socks are 20-35 a pair, they last forever and I have three pairs still on the go from January. Two of the pairs are showing a bit of wear and will probably need to be replaced by February 2012. I'll do that the same way I'm doing the underwear.
How good/bad your sock cost is depends on how long "forever" is, which sounds like "slightly over a year" in your case. If your socks only last ~1 year, it doesn't sound like you're getting a lot of extra value out of spending several times more money on socks. Perhaps you could try some cheaper socks? In my experience, socks with similar material/thickness last roughly as long whether you spent $10 on them or $30. (and while we're on a sock tangent: I've had socks last 2-3 years. And they're stuff where you can get 3-5 pairs for $20, not fancy socks that cost $15 for a single pair. What the hell is T0MSERV0 doing to his socks? At least Tuyop is probably putting extra wear-and-tear on them thanks to army bullshit.)

quote:

8. 26 a month. I spent 13 in August because of the timing of my field time (field is a haircut free zone). I'm probably getting another haircut next Wednesday. It's 26 dollars. I spend more on hummus and broccoli.
Did you ever respond to the guy who mentioned that you could get your hair cut shorter each time so you didn't have to go so often? Because even if you like longer hair, saving an extra bit of money each month would be even nicer. And don't go "it's only a small amount of money"; people get into debt because they buy stuff like "only" a $5 latte every day, or "only" a $20/mo upgrade to their cable. That small poo poo adds up after a while, both individually and when you look at it in combination with all the other small poo poo you're spending money on.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

tuyop posted:

Cooking is not the same as freezing. I don't know what Canada has decided, but the FDA says no big nutritional difference between the two and there's support that frozen vegetables (which are frozen at the peak of their freshness) may be healthier than out of season, imported vegetables. You don't want to store them in your freezer for months at a time but it sounds like you would go through a package quickly. While it may not make as much sense in the summertime when produce is fresh and cheaper, come winter time when fresh vegetables are expensive, frozen vegetables are not a bad option. The canning process breaks down more nutrients plus you have to worry more about sauces, etc, but even then some vegetables' nutrient profile hold up well (tomatoes for one - if you consider them a vegetable).

I find it hard to believe that to you, smoking isn't much of a health hazard despite tons of scientific evidence to the contrary even in the short term, but yet you believe frozen vegetables are just terrible for you.

tuyop posted:

And it does in fact repel mosquitoes. Try it sometime.

Wonderful, but so do other cheaper things. For example, most people in the US put on bug spray/mosquito repellant to ward off mosquitos. There are also clip on mosquito repellent things and tons of other new technologies out there that all have to do with getting rid of mosquitos but wont cost $77/month.

You can spend your money however you want, but if you want to fit in some luxuries like seeing your girlfriend and maybe some other things here and there, these little, minor changes can help you do that without any major sacrifices.

KarmaCandy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well I'm just thinking about it like my monthly income is only 160 dollars. If I want to spend that on cigarettes, I don't see a problem with it because that's what it's for, things that I want. Right now I don't have time for really recreational things and I'm too tired at the end of the day anyway. In the future if that extra 10 bucks that could be a pack of cigarettes would be more fun going to a movie or something, I'll probably do that instead.

I guess the other option is looking at that 160 a month and saying that I don't need cigarettes or a haircut and reducing it to 50 a month or whatever. Maybe I'll do that. Little changes.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you're tired then smoking isn't helping, dumbass.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

As far as I can tell the major problems are:

1. rationalizations
2. rationalizations
3. rationalizations
4. rationalizations
5. rationalizations
6. rationalizations
7. Amount of "surprise" sex rationalizations
8. rationalizations

Fixed that for you.

The problem isn't your spending, it's your thinking. You have done nothing but present the stupidest "reasons" for spending beyond your means. Yes, eventually you may admit that you are buying something "just because you want it", but poo poo it's like pulling teeth to get you there.

If you had started out by saying "hey, I know it's dumb but I just don't want to do without X", people can work with that. You can budget for a few dumb indulgences. But when you kneejerk your response with the stupidest loving reasoning, I mean goddamn you have got to be making GBS threads me if you think the excuses you gave are in any way compelling, what the gently caress are we supposed to do?

Do you want us to fight with you over every expense? Are we supposed to hold your hand and draw you a goddamn picture over reducing or eliminating the low-hanging fruits you keep dangling over us in your budget? You keep digging in your heels like a loving toddler every time somebody makes a reasonable suggestion, and your arguments when you do so are at the same intellectual level. Do we have to have a knock-down, drag out fight over every. loving. thing. in that pile of rear end pudding you call a budget until you grudgingly accept that oh yeah, MAYBE you can reduce Bullshit Expense #37 a smidge?

Goddamn. I know people in GiP make jokes about shavetails and the retarded things they do but I thought they were just kidding. Do let us know when your dependapotomus drops a anchor albatross kid from her crotch to complete the stereotype, 'k?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Well I'm just thinking about it like my monthly income is only 160 dollars. If I want to spend that on cigarettes, I don't see a problem with it because that's what it's for, things that I want. Right now I don't have time for really recreational things and I'm too tired at the end of the day anyway. In the future if that extra 10 bucks that could be a pack of cigarettes would be more fun going to a movie or something, I'll probably do that instead.

quote:

I guess the other option is looking at that 160 a month and saying that I don't need cigarettes or a haircut and reducing it to 50 a month or whatever. Maybe I'll do that. Little changes.

To those of you playing along at home, this is the fig leaf that tuyop is going to extend to try to convince people he's not an insufferable rear end in a top hat. Don't be fooled though. He's still sitting on an entitlement complex a mile wide, protected by an impenetrable fortress of hyperbole and condescension. But he needs the blood of well-meaning goons to sustain his amazing technicolor rationalization machine. It's all an illusion though. Until he has his "come to Mini" moment -- until he makes a real, quantifiable concession to the fantastic, spot-on advice of the thread -- nothing will have changed. Not in the slightest. Not at all.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 2, 2011

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah this is pretty entertaining because as things are you'll be deservingly in debt for the rest of your life.

But you'll have millions of excuses along the way.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

tuyop posted:

You really want to play stupid games like this?

Fine. I would like to see evidence that smoking has little impact on your health over the short term and large social and psychological benefits.

If you don't see how loving dumb that seems then I just dunno.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This thread will continue until April 1, 2012, when Cornholio will reveal that tuyop is really just his gimmick account.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Third Murderer posted:

This thread will continue until April 1, 2012, when Cornholio will reveal that tuyop is really just his gimmick account.

I was just thinking that this guy sounds exactly like Zaurg, down to the stupid rationalizations and such.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well I don't really know what to say. I'll just keep keeping on and paying off my debt I guess. What are you guys going to do when I meet all my deadlines and still buy cigarettes and underwear?

I'd look into frozen vegetables, but I'm going to be eating lovely army food until December on the 12th anyway, and I have food until then so, yeah.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

Well I don't really know what to say. I'll just keep keeping on and paying off my debt I guess. What are you guys going to do when I meet all my deadlines and still buy cigarettes and underwear?

I'd look into frozen vegetables, but I'm going to be eating lovely army food until December on the 12th anyway, and I have food until then so, yeah.

What an insightful response. I'm sorry your thread did not throw you the pity party you were angling for.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tuyop posted:

What exactly do you want from this thread, seeing as you think you can do everything yourself?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
To entertain others. It's part of his selfless nature.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Then why are you even budgeting, or asking us for opinions on your budget? After all, it's your money. Why not spend it on whatever yoy damned well want to? Oh right, it's because you're in debt and want to get out of debt. And people in debt shouldn't blow a ton of money on hookers/weed/gambling, either.

It's just strange that people are attacking it. If I wasn't smoking I'd be going to the movies or out to supper or buying coffee or whatever instead, and people would have no problem with it. So yeah, if I'm "allowed" to have a fun money category, let me do what I want with it without giving me poo poo, regardless of moral statements about what people in debt ought do.

quote:

I think we all get that people need underwear, we just don't understand why you're spending $100 on it. Unless you're buying a shitload of underwear, then you're obviously buying very expensive underwear. And yes, you brought up the chafing issue, but it's hard to believe that there is only ONE brand of underwear that doesn't cause chafing for you(and it also happens to be one that's on the expensive side).

Of course there are probably better underwear solutions. However, the time to explore them is not right now. I need to have every little thing in order that produces as little drag as possible on performance so that I can get through this fall. Thats why I'm sticking with underwear that's worked for me for the past three years with no chafing. Not failing for being poorly prepared (walking around saddlesore or having to go to the hospital for antibiotics for an infected gooch) is worth the premium for me.

quote:

Did you ever respond to the guy who mentioned that you could get your hair cut shorter each time so you didn't have to go so often? Because even if you like longer hair, saving an extra bit of money each month would be even nicer. And don't go "it's only a small amount of money"; people get into debt because they buy stuff like "only" a $5 latte every day, or "only" a $20/mo upgrade to their cable. That small poo poo adds up after a while, both individually and when you look at it in combination with all the other small poo poo you're spending money on.

No, it's pretty much required to cut your hair every two weeks regardless of length. Every payday the sergeant majors come out and look for freshness, even if you have a buzz cut it better not be scruffy. I know it's another excuse not to change my haircut expense, but I have a working schedule and it's not compromising my goals.

Neophyte posted:

Words

I post an expense, you guys ask why it costs so much, I explain. I don't know why avoiding chafing, avoiding trouble at work, and following a diet are such sore points for everyone, but if people want to know why I buy what I buy, I'm going to tell them.

Smoking, sure, it's dumb to use it as primary mosquito repellant or whatever. I should have just said that it's cool as gently caress.

Kobayashi posted:

You might just be the stupidest person to ever have posted in BFC.

Zo posted:

Yeah this is pretty entertaining because as things are you'll be deservingly in debt for the rest of your life.

But you'll have millions of excuses along the way.

*puts 1391 on debt, smokes a celebration cigarette*

CelestialScribe posted:

What exactly do you want from this thread, seeing as you think you can do everything yourself?

Well, I have absolutely no idea about savings, so that thing from last page seems useful and I'd like to talk about it. Later, once that TFSA gets some money in it, I'd like to talk about what to do with it, like retirement savings and such. I hadn't even thought about how the demographic crisis applies to me personally and my sweet government pension.

I'm using this to log my progress and put some accountability into the whole thing, so that's good despite the silliness over haircuts. Like when I sold the tv and you guys told me to not be stupid and put it on debt, that was exactly what I needed.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

tuyop posted:

Smoking, sure, it's dumb to use it as primary mosquito repellant or whatever. I should have just said that it's cool as gently caress.
Smells good too! I love when people in my office come back in from a smoke break and smell like poo poo :)

Tuyop: do you own a smoking jacket?

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

tuyop posted:

I need to have every little thing in order that produces as little drag as possible on performance so that I can get through this fall.

Smoking...

:doh:

It's like you are arguing you need to use the most expensive brand of toothpaste because its the only thing that works for you while you have a rotting tooth that you refuse to look at.

asmallrabbit fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 2, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

asmallrabbit posted:

:doh:

It's like you are arguing you need to use the most expensive brand of toothpaste because its the only thing that works for you while you have a rotting tooth that you refuse to look at.

Oral health isn't an all or nothing thing, you know. Do you want him to go to a dentist every week?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm on tuyop's side in this thing. He's got money set aside for these purchases and he's paying down his debt. I'd have to look at his budget again to see if he is hitting the goals he established but it sounds like he is. If that $150 is money not required to meet his debt goals or to pay necessities how can you bitch at what he spends it on? Isn't that the point of a budget? That money is budgeted as free money.

If you think his budget and debt repayment plans are bad, tear into that. Tearing into his spending of his budgets seems wrong, particularly a fun money category. The clothing one I'm more on board with because if he keeps blowing his clothing budget on high end items inevitably an emergency will come up where he has to exceed the clothing budget. If his food budget can sustain his healthy eating every month and not reduce his ability to meet debt repayment goals, who cares? So other than the clothes I say take exception with his budget itself or his debt repayment plan but not how he spends his food or fun budget as long as he actually sticks to it.

Sadsy Kitten
Sep 12, 2009

tuyop posted:

It's just strange that people are attacking it. If I wasn't smoking I'd be going to the movies or out to supper or buying coffee or whatever instead, and people would have no problem with it. So yeah, if I'm "allowed" to have a fun money category, let me do what I want with it without giving me poo poo, regardless of moral statements about what people in debt ought do.

I don't think you're picking up on the fact that people WOULD have a problem if you spent equal amounts on Starbucks/dinners out/movies/etc as you do on smoking. It's not the smoking itself that's got everyone up in arms, it's the unnecessary expense.

Then, there is the separate issue of your method of thinking-- rationalizing away all your expenses and refusing to make compromises, even when your reasons for each expense are contradictory.

Does that perhaps shed a little more light onto why people are upset? It's not the smoking that's pissing people off. It's two things: the amount of money you spend on unnecessary poo poo, and your attitudes about it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

tuyop posted:

We'd be telling you to stop buying coffee out and instead brew at home. Or we'd be telling you to get netflix instead

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

What are you guys going to do when I meet all my deadlines and still buy cigarettes and underwear?

I'LL HAVE YOUR BADGE FOR THIS, MISTER!

YOU BETTER SHAPE UP AND FLY RIGHT OR I'M GONNA BUST YOU BACK TO PARKING ENFORCEMENT! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT???

Now get the hell out of my office and get back on the beat!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

I'LL HAVE YOUR BADGE FOR THIS, MISTER!

YOU BETTER SHAPE UP AND FLY RIGHT OR I'M GONNA BUST YOU BACK TO PARKING ENFORCEMENT! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT???

Now get the hell out of my office and get back on the beat!

HE'S A LOOSE CANNON!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

tuyop posted:

Your other big tendency to splurge is on vacations. You already have a trip planned to visit your girlfriend, which, as you noted will require saving $410 by November 12.

If your monthly discretionary income is $160 and you spend $77 on cigarettes, you will not save enough to go visit her. As it stands it will be tight.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

tuyop posted:

1. I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want.

That's what got you in debt in the first place you loving retard. You posted this thread asking us to tell you how to change your spending. They are diametrically opposite points of view.

Christ you're loving stupid.

tuyop posted:

What are you guys going to do when I meet all my deadlines and still buy cigarettes and underwear?

Watch you go right back in to just as much debt because you haven't learned a loving thing about how to control yourself once your situation changes. You are exactly the same as zaurg in that regard, except you're an even bigger idiot because your issues are so much more stupid. The only reason he was going up rather than down was due to overtime money. He hadn't learned a single thing on how to control his money and nor have/will you.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Cicero posted:

I like imagining this being said in Meatwad's voice.

Yep. This was the first thing I thought of : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jzyKlznF_w

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also smoking is stupid for everyone, but at least most smokers acknowledge that it's a deadly addiction that will destroy their health and eventually kill them. Although you definitely hear "I can quit whenever I want" a lot. Also it's a disgusting habit.

But it's cool. Being a hot military dude with perfectly coiffed hair and a sweet ride and fancy underwear is all part of the Tuyop package, see.

Tuyop, people who are financially sound put their finances ahead of their egos. The hostility you are getting from several posters essentially boils down to that inescapable fact; you are here asking for help to become solvent but the thing you seem to resist most is any suggestion that you need to change how you think about your spending. You're willing to cut some items but anything related to your self-image is apparently inviolable.

It sounds like if you cut out your expensive vacationing, you'll eventually pay off your debt and get above water. That's true.

But if you never change your attitude, it's very likely to be a temporary situation for you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

But it's cool. Being a hot military dude with perfectly coiffed hair and a sweet ride and fancy underwear is all part of the Tuyop package, see.

Tuyop, people who are financially sound put their finances ahead of their egos. The hostility you are getting from several posters essentially boils down to that inescapable fact; you are here asking for help to become solvent but the thing you seem to resist most is any suggestion that you need to change how you think about your spending. You're willing to cut some items but anything related to your self-image is apparently inviolable.

Yes. This is exactly it I suppose.

My girlfriend just got a job offer as a vehicle tech in the military. It's double the income and she starts in october. I'm trying to explain all the traps I fell into and the importance of budgeting despite having more money than ever before. It's kind of valuable for me at least and I hope she's not staring at negative net worth in two years or so.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

Yes. This is exactly it I suppose.

My girlfriend just got a job offer as a vehicle tech in the military. It's double the income and she starts in october. I'm trying to explain all the traps I fell into and the importance of budgeting despite having more money than ever before. It's kind of valuable for me at least and I hope she's not staring at negative net worth in two years or so.

So it's now up to her to be the sensible one in the relationship, finances-wise.

You're an irresponsible child.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

tuyop posted:

What could possibly go wrong.

Anyone willing to guess the over/under on how long til she has a thread here?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
OP, you may want to check into other brands of underwear and see if anything is bearable for your tender loins in case you ever get promoted to Real Soldier™ and see a deployment.

Your genitals will thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

OP, you may want to check into other brands of underwear and see if anything is bearable for your tender loins in case you ever get promoted to Real Soldier™ and see a deployment.

Your genitals will thank you!

Yes I will totally do that if I'm ever in a position where I may be blown up and catch on fire.

As for now, I'm going to stick with tried-and-true underwear. Thanks!

Nam Taf posted:

What could possibly go wrong.

Anyone willing to guess the over/under on how long til she has a thread here?

What do you mean? Does anybody ever get a new job with double the income and come out of it without incurring massive amounts of debt? I'm just telling her she should start budgeting now and act as if she's on her original income until she has enough saved up to do whatever she wants. We talk about her financial goals all the time, since mine are pretty boring.

Lyon posted:

I'm on tuyop's side in this thing. He's got money set aside for these purchases and he's paying down his debt. I'd have to look at his budget again to see if he is hitting the goals he established but it sounds like he is. If that $150 is money not required to meet his debt goals or to pay necessities how can you bitch at what he spends it on? Isn't that the point of a budget? That money is budgeted as free money.

If you think his budget and debt repayment plans are bad, tear into that. Tearing into his spending of his budgets seems wrong, particularly a fun money category. The clothing one I'm more on board with because if he keeps blowing his clothing budget on high end items inevitably an emergency will come up where he has to exceed the clothing budget. If his food budget can sustain his healthy eating every month and not reduce his ability to meet debt repayment goals, who cares? So other than the clothes I say take exception with his budget itself or his debt repayment plan but not how he spends his food or fun budget as long as he actually sticks to it.

Yeah, that's what I thought the whole point of the exercise was. As for "clothing emergencies", I know that I'm going to need to spend a lot of money on business casual and formal clothing in the next two years, so I'm saving a lot for that on the advice of the military financial adviser I saw in June. I kind of remembered that and kept the 200/month savings plan up. By next September, despite my extravagant underwear and/or socks, I should have more than enough to buy a suit, formal wear, and the endless list of fashion minutia I need to be a (cool) professional adult male.

• Locked thread