Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Egbert Souse posted:

Theatrical prints are generally bad sources for HD. Contrast isn't great and none of the original '77 film prints are usable at this point.

I've personally shown 30 year old prints that looked gorgeous, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Is there anyone out there defending all of these changes? I haven't ventured into the comments on youtube or any of the sites where the clips are posted yet, but I'm curious to see whether any superfans are clamouring to justify all of this horrible poo poo just because it's Star Wars. At the same time I'm terrified to look because just reading imdb forums makes want to pull my own teeth out.

The most frustrating thing about all this is seeing other directors doing it right. Ridley Scott released his "definitive" version of Blade Runner in a box set with every single other version, even a loving work print. Coppola was nice enough to remaster and package the original Apocalypse Now with the Redux for those of us who prefer it. George is apparently so bitter at Star Wars that he will do anything he can to make it all his.

I honestly wish he'd remake episodes 4-6 more than ever now. Proper sequels to the prequels that are just as godawful and full of cgi and terrible dialogue and incomprehensible plots and actually fit together as a saga. Then he can have "his" Star Wars and those of us who enjoy 3 fun films from the 70's/80's can have ours.

I'm happy just watching the 4:3 special feature versions at this point.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It's kinda irrelevant, because there are interpositives & separation masters in the Lucasfilm vault, as well as the original pieces of negatives that were cut out to make the 1997 SE, and later rescanned to make the 2004 SE.

But when it comes to Theatrical prints, there are a small number of Technicolor dye prints out there that don't deteriorate rapidly like regular film. One is in George Lucas's basement and was used to accurately colour time the film for the 1997 SE release (before George said 'gently caress it' and did what he liked with the 2004 release). Some are in the hands of private collectors.

And one of which was screened theatrically last year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, uh, doesn't all of this boil down to Lucas' divorce and his wife being owed half of all money made on Star Wars but not on SE versions?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, uh, doesn't all of this boil down to Lucas' divorce and his wife being owed half of all money made on Star Wars but not on SE versions?

No. That's a stupid loving internet rumour that makes no sense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

It's kinda irrelevant, because there are interpositives & separation masters in the Lucasfilm vault, as well as the original pieces of negatives that were cut out to make the 1997 SE, and later rescanned to make the 2004 SE.

But when it comes to Theatrical prints, there are a small number of Technicolor dye prints out there that don't deteriorate rapidly like regular film. One is in George Lucas's basement and was used to accurately colour time the film for the 1997 SE release (before George said 'gently caress it' and did what he liked with the 2004 release). Some are in the hands of private collectors.

And one of which was screened theatrically last year.

Is that the one where Lucasfilm was like "Hey buddy, that's our property" and took it back?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Is that the one where Lucasfilm was like "Hey buddy, that's our property" and took it back?

According to this writeup of the screening, no. That happened in 2006 (and probably not a Technicolor IB print)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
As utterly loving fascinating as it is to read you guys sperging out about Star Wars for five pages (it's not interesting oh my god shut the gently caress up and move on with your lives), here's something else!

PeePot posted:

They updated it with the cover! It looks like something my mom would buy, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't appreciate Malick. edit: nevermind looks like it's just a horrible poster/placeholder.

Hey, a pleasant surprise, no floating heads and poo poo:

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord

Criminal Minded posted:

As utterly loving fascinating as it is to read you guys sperging out about Star Wars for five pages (it's not interesting oh my god shut the gently caress up and move on with your lives), here's something else!
How dare people talk about an upcoming blockbuster Blu-Ray release in the Blu-Ray thread!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Criminal Minded posted:

A collage of random screenshots? Nice.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

A collage of random screenshots? Nice.

Its the same as the poster, so quit hatin.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Fayez Butts posted:

Yeah, was gonna say:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

frumpsnake posted:

No. That's a stupid loving internet rumour that makes no sense.

Welp, I was hoping there was some reason other than "Lucas is nuts" but oh well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Criminal Minded posted:

Also something I didn't see noted in here: The only way to get the DVD for Tree of Life is to buy the blu-ray combo pack. They are not releasing it on standalone DVD.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^^^ It should be seen in hi-def anyway ^^^^

Fayez Butts posted:

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, was gonna say:

Posters can still be crap though (although in this case it's clearly debatable) but I'd rather they'd used

any of

the following

posters

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GonSmithe posted:

Also something I didn't see noted in here: The only way to get the DVD for Tree of Life is to buy the blu-ray combo pack. They are not releasing it on standalone DVD.
Kinda surprised, but I guess it's a reflection of their primary audience's demographics.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Hey great thanks for the image and the rear end in a top hat comment. Yeah I'll be picking up that blu ray when it comes out, now kindly be quiet and let the thread be what it will be right now.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
George makes Yoda CG in every movie, calling it now.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Cubemario posted:

George makes Yoda CG in every movie, calling it now.
I think they're working on converting the movies to 3d now, it's the perfect opportunity to replace that boring old puppet with CG. They'll have to make him jump around a lot more in ESB too, to show off the new 3d effects.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
WATCH LUCAS CGI A MUPPET!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney is releasing The Rocketeer on December 13th. :woop:
Blu-Ray.com

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com

YES!!! :woop:

All I need now is Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com

Holy poo poo! My childhood in clear pristine HD.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Nevermind!

Annoying Reveler fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 2, 2011

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com

:aaaaa: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I can finally get rid of that drat letterboxed 4:3 DVD!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Well... look what Levar Burton posted on Twitter just now:

levarburton posted:

Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray was coming along... #mindblown #bydhttmwfi http://moby.to/6nxp3k
link

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Schpyder posted:

letterboxed 4:3

Well now there's a riddle.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

akadajet posted:

link

Wow, it always seemed like it wasn't really going to happen. Awesome.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com

Oh God gently caress Yes.
I knew Disney wouldn't let this year pass without releasing it. The film's 20th Anniversary, plus the fact that they can put "JOE JOHNSON (director of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER) on the box.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

link
I don't even care how bad the first season was, I'll happily buy every season they put out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

akadajet posted:

Well... look what Levar Burto
drat, I was hoping for "Reading Rainbow"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Posters can still be crap though (although in this case it's clearly debatable) but I'd rather they'd used

any of

the following

posters

Sure about that one? :raise:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Criminal Minded posted:

Well now there's a riddle.

It's exactly what it sounds like. They have the full 2.35:1 frame... hard letterboxed and encoded at 4:3 on the DVD. Yes, the black bars are actually encoded in the signal. Not anamorphic. It's seriously one of the worst mastering jobs I've ever seen in my life, and not just because of that, either. Have a direct screen grab:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Schpyder posted:

It's exactly what it sounds like. They have the full 2.35:1 frame... hard letterboxed and encoded at 4:3 on the DVD. Yes, the black bars are actually encoded in the signal. Not anamorphic. It's seriously one of the worst mastering jobs I've ever seen in my life, and not just because of that, either. Have a direct screen grab:

That's just called letterbox though.

4:3 would imply the image was pan and scanned.

Both sucks horribly, but aren't nearly as bad as a 4:3 image with black bars smacked on top of the image to sell it as widescreen. I have a vhs of Night of the Living Dead (1990) that does this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think they did that for the first Doors release on DVD. I was always puzzled why the screen looked so loving tiny on my RPTV (was a cool tv at the time...).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They must have been mastered extremely early in the DVD days, as it wasn't more than a couple years in that almost all of them were anamorphic.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh, yay... I'll be able to watch the Tree of Life the way God intended:

On my phone!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Oh, yay... I'll be able to watch the Tree of Life the way God intended:

On my phone!

I...I watched 2001 on the 3 inch screen on my mp3 player.
It was a shameful moment.

Also Tree of Life has a Region 2 DVD only release, if you're some madman who wants a Region 2 DVD copy of it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

japtor posted:

Sure about that one? :raise:

It's a joke. I figured the fact that all the names and words were replaced by "Oscar" would give it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

VCI is releasing Rene Cardona's Santa Claus on Nov. 15. It'll have both the original Mexican release version and dubbed American cut. Also will have a commentary by Daniel Griffith, a making-of documentary, stills gallery, bonus shorts and trailers. The film itself is restored from the original negative and in widescreen.

This made up one of the funniest MST3K episodes, but it is a fun movie on its own.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2011

• Locked thread