Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say it doesn't, but in general there are mechanics in place to reduce the amount you have to do. Social Links in particular grant so many levels that leaving the dungeon for a few days and returning after you've gained a few social link levels is probably a lot more effective then simply grinding out the levels.

So... stopping to grind a social link in this scenario isn't grinding even though it's exactly what your definition said it is? Man, this argument is dumb. Why are you even arguing even though what you laid out is grinding in a slightly different way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

RPGs: They have grinding.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
Even if it's optional, I still count the social links and stats as grinding. Because it's often this repetitive task in which you press x through text boxes, wait for transition time, and then press x through more text boxes saying the same thing. Studying day after day just so you can teach Mitsuru how to eat a hamburger is grinding to me, and if you don't pick the right options, you have to do relationship point grinding (which consists of "oh we talked about things") for the next events. Don't get me wrong though, because I didn't really mind any of that that much.

VV "You studied hard" 100 times is not really playing a game to me VV

Aquans fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

So... stopping to grind a social link in this scenario isn't grinding even though it's exactly what your definition said it is? Man, this argument is dumb. Why are you even arguing even though what you laid out is grinding in a slightly different way?

Because P3 and P4 are divided into two different types of gameplay. If you can't advance in the dungeons, you can leave and advance in the social gameplay which in turn makes the dungeon gameplay easier. At no point are you stopping the game from advancing. In fact, the way Persona 3 and 4 are designed, you're using up your limited time in order to do this and moving closer to the next plot point.

Aquans posted:

Even if it's optional, I still count the social links and stats as grinding. Because it's often this repetitive task in which you press x through text boxes, wait for transition time, and then press x through more text boxes saying the same thing. Studying day after day just so you can teach Mitsuru how to eat a hamburger is grinding to me, and if you don't pick the right options, you have to do relationship point grinding (which consists of "oh we talked about things") for the next events. Don't get me wrong though, because I didn't really mind any of that that much.

So... playing the game is grinding to you? I'm honestly confused. Grinding is not shorthand for "part of the game I don't like," it's referring to a specific kind of action you take in games (usually RPGs).

Like I said, if you want an actual Persona 3 example of grinding, look at that poo poo in Elizabeth's quests where you have to grind enemies in hopes they'll drop whatever bullshit item Elizabeth is looking for.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 2, 2011

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I would just like to say that in addition to all of the complaining in this thread about actual Shin Megami games, that a little while ago here, in the Shin Megam thread, it was announced that the team who made BlazBlue would be making a Persona fighting game and people actually complained about it. A literal gift from the gods and you complained about it.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I would just like to say that in addition to all of the complaining in this thread about actual Shin Megami games, that a little while ago here, in the Shin Megam thread, it was announced that the team who made BlazBlue would be making a Persona fighting game and people actually complained about it. A literal gift from the gods and you complained about it.

A lot of people hate Blazblue to my understanding. v:shobon:v

Edit: Like, I have literally never seen a fighting game fan do anything but heap scorn upon scorn on Blazblue and talk about how terrible it is. Even with SF4 or MvC3 or whatever there's a fair mix of people who like one and hate the other, but the hatred for Blazblue seems universal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 2, 2011

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Atlus going back on their claim of never making a P4P. Arc System Works should be making a new GG instead of a dumb RPG fighting game. Fighting game on 360/PS3 instead of P5 quicker. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fighting game guy in the Giant Bomb TNT this week was really ragging on the Persona 4 fighting game.

Personally it feels like fighting games drop out of popularity so fast (except for their dedicated fan base) it doesn't really matter how technically great it is.

EDIT: It wouldn't be a Persona if it didn't come way too late in the system's life span.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Arc has multiple teams, they are working on multiple games right now. There's no indication that a GG is being held up by this.

edit: At least I'm fairly sure they have multiple teams. They're making BBCS Extend, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, and this.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Relin posted:

Atlus going back on their claim of never making a P4P. Arc System Works should be making a new GG instead of a dumb RPG fighting game. Fighting game on 360/PS3 instead of P5 quicker. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Atlus didn't make a p4p :smug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Atlus didn't make a p4p :smug:
I'm confused, are you saying this version will be farmed out?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm confused, are you saying this version will be farmed out?

This ain't P4P, son. It's P4TG :smug:

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Relin posted:

There is an interview on IGN where they explain that since P3P not only smash sales expectations, but apparantly 30% of p3p players had never played a Persona game before, they would be stupid NOT to. And I cannot see why this is a big deal to you. Just relax bro, it's a cashin port. You personally do not HAVE to buy it. I mean, I am, because my boyfriend already bought a vita via preorder. But it's all up to you.
ED: see, thats what is really important. Bringing in new players. Who honestly cares if mr.'persona 2 is better because its more reptitive, tedious and boring' wants the series to remain unacessible to newbies. We gotta make them duckets somehow folks.

HarveyVdarski fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 2, 2011

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of people hate Blazblue to my understanding. v:shobon:v

Edit: Like, I have literally never seen a fighting game fan do anything but heap scorn upon scorn on Blazblue and talk about how terrible it is. Even with SF4 or MvC3 or whatever there's a fair mix of people who like one and hate the other, but the hatred for Blazblue seems universal.

Lots of folks like Blazblue, it's just not popular in the tournament community. I enjoy the single player stuff a bunch personally, and am really happy to hear that P4UiMA will have a story mode. I really hope that both it and P4G make it over here.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I'm fairly certain that it was said that there wouldn't be a PSP Persona 4 port because they would have to make sacrifices with the presentation due to the technology (and not that they would never make a portable version). The Vita solved that.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

You're not a fan if you don't try to tear down your own fandom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona fightan' being developed by the Blazblue team is not really a god send.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I think it's a really, really stupid idea and can't imagine it turning out very well. Those screenshots looked awkward as hell to me.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Justice posted:

You're not a fan if you don't try to tear down your own fandom.

Sorry, it's not a real [Persona/MegaTen] game unless it's just like the first [Persona/MegaTen] game I ever played, so releasing anything other than a game that's exactly the same as that one is a betrayal of both the real fans and the series they supposedly love. Also, if Atlus released a remake or enhanced port of that same game, that would be a shameless cash-in that also proves that I'm correct in assuming that Atlus doesn't care about making games for their real fanbase (that fanbase being me, personally). :smug:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Well guys you see Persona games created in the last decade are actually popular so obviously I need to take every possible opportunity to point out how superior these old games that no one cares about are. You know, because it makes me look cool.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

gtrmp posted:

Sorry, it's not a real [Persona/MegaTen] game unless it's just like the first [Persona/MegaTen] game I ever played, so releasing anything other than a game that's exactly the same as that one is a betrayal of both the real fans and the series they supposedly love. Also, if Atlus released a remake or enhanced port of that same game, that would be a shameless cash-in that also proves that I'm correct in assuming that Atlus doesn't care about making games for their real fanbase (that fanbase being me, personally). :smug:

That's a really close minded way of looking at things. You shouldn't hate something just because it's different. For example, I really liked Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, but I think the Devil Summoner Raidou games, particularly King Abaddon, were really neat even though they're complete reinventions of the series. They still have some of the problems from the old games, such as the Loyalty mechanic still being completely superfluous (in fact, it's even something of a step back from Soul Hackers because you don't get any "Take a mortal blow" protection or damage increases), but overall I think they did a good job.

e: I just remembered you have to max loyalty in The Soulless Army to fuse, so that was absolutely a step back for the loyalty system.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2011

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

gtrmp posted:

And we have reached strawmen, good job everyone. Either I stay out of the bad threads or this recent self-cannibalism in this thread is some of the worst poo poo in Games, drat.

Hey here's a thing: I'm picking up a bunch of old DS stuff right now since I put the system down after a rush of RPGs months ago. Doing second playthrough on Strange Journey. Which would people recommend I go with, Law or Chaos this time around? I did Neutral out the gate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

And we have reached strawmen, good job everyone. Either I stay out of the bad threads or this recent self-cannibalism in this thread is some of the worst poo poo in Games, drat.

Hey here's a thing: I'm picking up a bunch of old DS stuff right now since I put the system down after a rush of RPGs months ago. Doing second playthrough on Strange Journey. Which would people recommend I go with, Law or Chaos this time around? I did Neutral out the gate.

Go for Chaos. Law creeps me the gently caress out in that game.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Baalster posted:

Well... It's great for those 10 crazy people who really like Blazblue.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ImpAtom posted:

Go for Chaos. Law creeps me the gently caress out in that game.

The Law and Chaos endings in SJ are both pretty creepy, and for similar reasons. Law is slightly less batshit insane; I'll leave you to decide whether this is a good or a bad thing.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Baalster posted:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Seriously though, I love BlazBlue and Arcana Heart 3. And the Shin Megami series is easily one of my favorite game series ever. For me this is a day one purchase without question.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I look forward to the combo videos.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good level to fight the reaper in P3P.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Go Law, because it has a couple of different things waiting for you.e: By Law, I actually mean "Chaos" because I am dumb and got the paths mixed up.

Professor Latency posted:

Well... It's great for those 10 crazy people who really like Blazblue.

Or the lot of people who liked P4.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 2, 2011

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dragonatrix posted:

Maybe this is just me being crazy here, but how does this not apply to Persona 3 or 4 exactly? The obvious lack of negotiation aside, I don't think someone who's having trouble playing normally managing to beat, say, Shadow Yukiko (P4 early game boss) without having to grind. I wouldn't exactly say 3 is grind-free either what with having an entire extra dungeon devoted solely to making grinding easier.

It's mostly that Persona 4 makes it almost impossible to grind early game (being that SP is such a precious commodity that is difficult to almost impossible to recover early game), the only reason you'd grind in P4 is if you're attempting a ODC which is very difficult early game unless you know what you're doing. Instead you'll probably just leave the dungeon, by super awesome and powerful armor and weapons, then run back in and kick the boss' rear end no problem.

Also the game's difficulty curve is a lot more even and fair then other MegaTen games in that as long as you clear past dungeon + current dungeon before facing current dungeon's boss, you're pretty much right where you need to be levels wise, which is certainly not that case for Persona 1 (haven't played 2, nor plan to because P1 was so awful). I believe that's half the reason that boss is so hard for people- there isn't a past dungeon to clear, in addition to there being no sp regen.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 2, 2011

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rentrent posted:

It's mostly that Persona 4 makes it almost impossible to grind early game (being that SP is such a precious commodity that is difficult to almost impossible to recover early game), the only reason you'd grind in P4 is if you're attempting a ODC which is very difficult early game unless you know what you're doing. Instead you'll probably just leave the dungeon, by super awesome and powerful armor and weapons, then run back in and kick the boss' rear end no problem.

Also the game's difficulty curve is a lot more even and fair then other MegaTen games in that as long as you clear past dungeon + current dungeon before facing current dungeon's boss, you're pretty much right where you need to be levels wise, which is certainly not that case for Persona 1 (haven't played 2, nor plan to because P1 was so awful). I believe that's half the reason that boss is so hard for people- there isn't a past dungeon to clear, in addition to there being no sp regen.

That and the fact that you're still getting a feel for the mechanics/have a fairly limited persona selection and little funds to experiment fusing. I know I had difficulty with her my first time, but after I lost interest with my first playthrough, then eventually restarted it, I spanked her feathery rear end with no trouble.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Seriously though, I love BlazBlue and Arcana Heart 3. And the Shin Megami series is easily one of my favorite game series ever. For me this is a day one purchase without question.

well that's great for you but personally i think fighting games are retarded spergfests

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Likewise, I'm completely awful at pretty much any Arc System Works games so the fighting game looks cool but I know I'll just be extremely frustrated when playing the drat thing. I wasn't amazingly keen on Persona 4 itself actually for that matter. I kinda enjoyed it at the time (and upon reflection realized how completely retarded the game is) but it'd take a lot more than a new S.Link or two with a new character and some animated scenes for me to experience it again. :(

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

well that's great for you but personally i think fighting games are retarded spergfests

So then why do you give a poo poo? You don't see me freak out when a new Nascar game comes out.

I guess you just wouldn't buy it, right?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So then why do you give a poo poo? You don't see me freak out when a new Nascar game comes out.

I guess you just wouldn't buy it, right?

The hidden assumption is the resources and money are going to the game you won't like instead of the game you would like; each born Badgame robs a potential Goodgame of life. I guess there's also the nightmare scenario where the spinoff becomes more popular and supplants the original series but when has that ever happened ahahaha

(the developers are completely different aren't they so I don't think it's anything to get upset about either)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

tooooooo bad posted:

Well guys you see Persona games created in the last decade are actually popular so obviously I need to take every possible opportunity to point out how superior these old games that no one cares about are. You know, because it makes me look cool.

I liked persona before it became cool.

Alteisen posted:

What's a good level to fight the reaper in P3P.

I beat him at around 60ish, basically I used the cheese method where I used Odin's thunder reign which caused him to lose a turn and made you do a "all out attack". Only catch is, you have to get the right turn order, as in MC + 2 supporters than Reaper.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7XPD-5rRqs&hd=1

So here's a trailer thing for Persona 2: Innocent Sin, due out on UMD and PSN on September 20th.

This is going straight into my "do not open until Vita launch" folder after I buy it off the PSN.

EDIT: Wasn't this supposed to come out in October? Oh well, should be a fun game anyway!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Emperor's at 2 so that's out, I'll try to brute force him I guess.

Where do I find him anyway, I thought killing everything would work but he ain't showing.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7XPD-5rRqs&hd=1

So here's a trailer thing for Persona 2: Innocent Sin, due out on UMD and PSN on September 20th.

This is going straight into my "do not open until Vita launch" folder after I buy it off the PSN.

EDIT: Wasn't this supposed to come out in October? Oh well, should be a fun game anyway!

I can't stand the original P2 OST, but if that remix is anything to go by, it seems like Meguro actually managed to make it listenable. :aaa: I'll definitely be picking this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I forget, was Meguro already Atlus' music guru back when Persona 2 was originally released or was that somebody else?

e: Wikipedia credits him as working on the original Persona (with like 3 other dudes) but not P2. Doesn't look like he took on the lion's share of composing duties until Nocturne.