Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well yeah if you use combat strength you will obviously do more damage. There's nothing to argue about, it is a documented fact that the back is the best spot to aim when going for melee KOs. I just checked and it actually is only the baton and prod that work best on the back, everything else you should go for the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Sorry but no, the back is indeed the best place to use the prod/baton. It straight up does more damage with any melee weapon (maybe just nonlethal melee weapons) if you tap them in the back. I don't really get it either. I usually crawl right up to an enemy and stand up briefly to prod them. Sometimes I shift-walk if he doesn't stop moving.

The two sweet spots, as far as I am aware, are the back of the head and the base of the spine. It is possible to one-hit-KO an enemy with the prod without having to stand up, which is useful.

When I did my Biomod playthrough I got a lot of mileage out of a combination of maxed Run Silent, Microfibrial Muscle and the unique Blackjack. Charge at dudes and club them in the back of the skull.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

The two sweet spots, as far as I am aware, are the back of the head and the base of the spine. It is possible to one-hit-KO an enemy with the prod without having to stand up, which is useful.

When I did my Biomod playthrough I got a lot of mileage out of a combination of maxed Run Silent, Microfibrial Muscle and the unique Blackjack. Charge at dudes and club them in the back of the skull.
There's no such thing as a sweet spot in the sense you describe. There are rough zones of locational damage, just like JC and his limbs. They can't get crippled like JC, but the concept is similar. The game just isn't sophisticated enough to have sweet spots like the base of the spine, that just counts as "torso," but it is a very effective place to aim if you want to KO someone while remaining crouched. Back of the head would count as "head" and while any other weapon would do more damage, the baton and prod still work best on the torso.

This applies to vanilla, it might have been changed in shifter/biomod because it makes very little sense but I don't think so.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

There's no such thing as a sweet spot in the sense you describe. There are rough zones of locational damage, just like JC and his limbs. They can't get crippled like JC, but the concept is similar. The game just isn't sophisticated enough to have sweet spots like the base of the spine, that just counts as "torso," but it is a very effective place to aim if you want to KO someone while remaining crouched. Back of the head would count as "head" and while any other weapon would do more damage, the baton and prod still work best on the torso.

This applies to vanilla, it might have been changed in shifter/biomod because it makes very little sense but I don't think so.

All I know is that shocking someone in the rear end is both entertaining and effective.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
I always just stunned people in the back of the legs, and they went down, but I usually play on Realistic. I should play on Hard next time to see the difference.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I uploaded the DX10 renderer as Kentie's website is still down. Basic Beater can update the OP with it if he wants.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My apologies if Project 2027 was already brought in some of the older 156 pages, but apparently it's about to be a thing. Does any goon know something more about it than what can be glimpsed from the site?

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
I'm playing through the russian version of it now and while the plot is a bit goofy (first 10 minutes of the game there is an AI in your head telling you to do things and people want it) it's been quite Deus Ex-y and fun so far. Definitely something you have to look forward to if you like DX.

Georg LeBoui fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 31, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Georg LeBoui posted:

I'm playing through the russian version of it now and while the plot is a bit goofy (first 10 minutes of the game there is an AI in your head telling you to do things and people want it) it's been quite Deus Ex-y and fun so far. Definitely something you have to look forward to if you like DX.

Is there an English language version of the Russian plotline?

If there isn't, someone needs to translate it and release it as a mod. PLEASE.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Jegan posted:

I always just stunned people in the back of the legs, and they went down, but I usually play on Realistic. I should play on Hard next time to see the difference.

Difficulty only affects JC's health.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A prod to the rear end is always the most silent takedown.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FlyingCheese posted:

Is there an English language version of the Russian plotline?

If there isn't, someone needs to translate it and release it as a mod. PLEASE.

The site states that they have just finished translating it to English.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I uploaded the DX10 renderer as Kentie's website is still down. Basic Beater can update the OP with it if he wants.

Thank you very much, but it appears that the website just launched up again as of today. Unfortunate timing.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How do I get this working on Windows 7 64-bit? I've tried the fixer mod in the OP and the game crashes to desktop before the main menu.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

GUI posted:

How do I get this working on Windows 7 64-bit? I've tried the fixer mod in the OP and the game crashes to desktop before the main menu.

Does it give any error and what renderer did you use?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Male Man posted:

Difficulty only affects JC's health.

No, it also affects enemy health. It's just that the prod one-hit-KOs to the bottom of the spine or the back of the neck regardless of difficulty.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Then what's with the MJ12 Commando's sweet stop being his belt? If you try the prod anywhere else, you won't be able to knock him out, even with a full magazine unloaded on him. However, if you use it on his belt, one shot will knock him out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

closeted republican posted:

Then what's with the MJ12 Commando's sweet stop being his belt? If you try the prod anywhere else, you won't be able to knock him out, even with a full magazine unloaded on him. However, if you use it on his belt, one shot will knock him out.

Have you ever had 50,000 volts in your dick?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The hit-boxes are weird, but I reliably one-hit knock out everyone I come across with the baton without any augmentations. I'm pretty sure you can't just hit them in the back, you have to specifically hit them in the back of the head, maybe the neck. Like that other guy said, crouch up behind them, aim above their head and swing when you're right next to them. Works every time. I haven't had to use the prod in forever.

The only people I have trouble knocking out in one hit are people sitting in chairs. I just wail on them until they go down. By the time they stand up they've taken enough damage to start running, and while fleeing their fragile necks are vulnerable.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

All I know is, I've looked at the game files a bit and enemies definitely just have the same body part system as JC in that they take different amounts of absolute damage in different body parts. Perhaps with the prod you can hit both the torso and legs at the same time? That seems the most likely to me and would account for the neck sweet spot as well. I guess if you can be really precise that's a good strategy.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2011

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rosoboronexport posted:

Does it give any error and what renderer did you use?

It only says "DeusEx has stopped working" and nothing more. I've tried every renderer including the unofficial DX10 one and nothing works.
The game used to work fine when I was running on Windows XP over a year ago.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

All I know is, I've looked at the game files a bit and enemies definitely just have the same body part system as JC in that they take different amounts of absolute damage in different body parts. Perhaps with the prod you can hit both the torso and legs at the same time? That seems the most likely to me and would account for the neck sweet spot as well. I guess if you can be really precise that's a good strategy.

That makes sense.

Has anyone tried to do a no-kill run through Invisible War? For some reason I have the urge to do one right after I finished up HR, and I'm sure it's going to be painful.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That makes sense.

Has anyone tried to do a no-kill run through Invisible War? For some reason I have the urge to do one right after I finished up HR, and I'm sure it's going to be painful.

It's actually really easy iirc. Eventually you get the power that lets you punch EMPs into robots and then there's no reason to ever put away your baton.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's actually really easy iirc. Eventually you get the power that lets you punch EMPs into robots and then there's no reason to ever put away your baton.

Didn't know that. Sounds a lot more fun than trying to use IW's clunky as hell lethal weapons. Redownloading IW now, and I'll give it a shot when its done.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Golashes posted:

So I started an IW game and I'm having some issues (Besides it being loving weird as hell). Whenever I get past character creation, my game seems to crash to black. I kill the process and start googling answers, and all the sudden about five minutes later the game (which has been killed, along with ion.exe or whatever) comes back from the dead and loads the next part. Anyone know what's up? I've already set affinities, XP compatibility, and disabled advanced desktop features.

I'm actually really interested in trying it but I guess I'll just do a Biomod playthrough of the first if I can't get this to work.

I had the same problem, and here is how I fixed it: by exiting all instances of Google Chrome. What the hell, Invisible War

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Sounds a lot more fun than trying to use IW's clunky as hell lethal weapons.
The only lethal weapon you need in IW is the Red Greasel Hunter (for its snazzy flashlight) with a silencer and glass destabilizer!

IW may have gotten a lot of things wrong but the glass destabilizer weapon mod is totally one of my favourite stealth tools I've come across in a video game.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you know how to assign your augs, "eventually" can mean "ten minutes into the game". Seriously, put all your starting augs into strength and swipe the lab's black market canister for EMP attacks and you're an unstoppable batonpunching machine before you've even left Tarsus.

I started playing Invisible War through again to top off having completed Human Revolution, and while I considered doing a nonlethal run to celebrate my successful nonlethal HR game... it just doesn't seem like a challenge.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm playing IW again, and I'm actually enjoying it pretty well.

I think the game's major sin wasn't in the game itself, for the most part, but when it was released, and how gamers reacted to things at the time.

See, nowadays gamers understand that if you want to further a Popular-Among-A-Niche-Audience-But-Nobody-Else-Even-Knows-It-Exists game, you take the original, burn off all the impurities that limited it to that niche audience, and replace it with stuff the rest of the market likes, resulting in a much better game.

IW had the misfortune of being developed before Irrational learned that designing Bioshock under the impression that people wanted System Shock Underwater was a horrible idea that was actively pissing off their testers, giving them pressure to change things to actually be fun for gamers. IW had the misfortune of coming out before Fallout 3 outsold Fallout 1 and 2 combined.

Hell, let's go all out with it: It had the misfortune of coming out before DX:HR, an objectively simpler game that's a lot more fun than Deus Ex itself.

Because of that era, the developers of IW tried to do it both ways; appealing to everyone else while still appealing to the hard-core fans. Had IW been made just a few years later, I don't think they would have tried to appeal so much to the hard-core fans, while still keeping in-theme with the original.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I tried playing it last year for the first time and just couldn't stand the 1-2 minute loading times and the engine restarts (with brightness resetting each time) combined with really small areas. So I quit after the tutorial, because drat.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

MisterBibs posted:

DX:HR, an objectively simpler game

Not to start a poo poo-fight but I disagree with this overall. Inventory Tetris felt harder in HR, hacking alone is a major "complication", you have all augs unlocked from the start as opposed to an occasional binary choice of aug (plus upgrades)... admittedly, HR doesn't have skills, and takedowns are easier than melee combat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HoldYourFire posted:

Not to start a poo poo-fight but I disagree with this overall.

Simpler was perhaps a poor word for it; streamlined fits a bit better.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The one thing from Deus Ex that I really miss in Human Revolution is not having to spend inventory on ammo like in RE4.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

harrygomm posted:

I'm not really one to comment on the rest, but really? HR auto-sorts all of your items for you automatically. There is no tetris, there is diablo style pick-up-poo poo-until-you-can't. Did you mean something like not having the full inv unlocked from the start? Or are you meaning more 'I want to have all the weapons in my inventory and its hard to pick stuff up when I do that."

Also everything is rotatable and rectangle-shaped, so unless the only thing you're carrying is huge weapons like the rocket launcher and sniper rifle, it's not so much inventory tetris as it is "how many slots do I have left?"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only thing that makes it different from the first game is that you have the option of to cut out the annoying rearranging when you want that assault rifle, but have to move everything in your inventory to get it to fit. You can even turn that off if you want the pure Deus Ex experience.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

and takedowns are easier than melee combat.

Considering that especially on harder difficulties you actually have to work to get takedowns without then dying whereas you can literally win IW by taking the tonfa and speed and strength augs and hitting everything in the face, I don't think that's right.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
So far my biggest problem with IW is the lack of skill points. It's like, I just fought my way through a smuggler's army to free a fighter jet that I wasn't even going to use and I got jack poo poo for it. In the original, the skill points were a really effective reward system, and this game just doesn't have anything like that. I liked doing unnecessary poo poo just because i was this close to mastering my pistol skill.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Little Blue Couch posted:

So far my biggest problem with IW is the lack of skill points. It's like, I just fought my way through a smuggler's army to free a fighter jet that I wasn't even going to use and I got jack poo poo for it. In the original, the skill points were a really effective reward system, and this game just doesn't have anything like that. I liked doing unnecessary poo poo just because i was this close to mastering my pistol skill.

This another thing I like about HR. The original Deus Ex is kind of stingy with experience points, you might get a couple hundred points for finding a secret area but even then you can only buy a few upgrades over the course of the game. HR gives you a steady drip of XP so even when you explore an air duct only to find it leads you back to an area you've already been to or you hack a lock only to find it's full of an ammunition that you're already maxed out of, you still feel like you've accomplished something.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, the constant XP being given is like a goddamned drug. Even though I've got 8 praxis points stockpiled, I still hack everything for the most XP, search every vent and every backroom for explorer bonuses, and knock out every dude. And this is my pacifist foxiest of hounds run. I never ever need the points, but whatever.

e: whoops this is the DX1 thread. Anyways, with the shifter mod I get in the same mindset; trying to get as much XP as possible. EMP-ing bots instead of blowing them up, non-lethal takedowns and no explosives on guards. I always make sure to prod MiB's, because they give heaps of points.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

I'm replaying the game on Medium difficulty just to run through the game with relatively few headaches, and it's interesting to read this, as I always aim at the head if I want to KO someone with the prod. If I aim at their back, I just get a stun. But as I was typing this, I realized that this could be because I'm doing it while I'm crouched, and the targeting rectile just doesn't match up all that well with where I'm "aiming."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, the constant XP being given is like a goddamned drug. Even though I've got 8 praxis points stockpiled, I still hack everything for the most XP, search every vent and every backroom for explorer bonuses, and knock out every dude. And this is my pacifist foxiest of hounds run. I never ever need the points, but whatever.

e: whoops this is the DX1 thread. Anyways, with the shifter mod I get in the same mindset; trying to get as much XP as possible. EMP-ing bots instead of blowing them up, non-lethal takedowns and no explosives on guards. I always make sure to prod MiB's, because they give heaps of points.

I haven't played HR, but I didn't like the constant xp in shifter. The skill points in original DX was a bit all over the place, but it generally felt like you'd earned it. It was only small amounts in shifter, but it felt like it was cheapening it a bit.

Although I do like the idea of freeform xp for actually doing stuff, just less often. So maybe just leaving it at things like knocking out an MIB, or crowbarring a giant spider bot (there aren't actually many of them in the game are there, I can think of 3 or 4 - can't remember if there are 2 in Area 51) to death.