Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

And I thought Sakic's pattern was unusable. That looks terrible

I use Sakic's pattern. I like the Iginla curve a lot better, though; I can actually shoot a backhand with the Iginla, whereas with the Sakic everything just flutters softly along the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Might as well add more to the fun stuff about being a captain. Our games are anywhere from 9:30-11:30 starts on Mon-Fri. So, as expected, people would complain about having to get up for work the next day when we had 11:30 starts on Mon-Weds, or that there werent enough Friday games so we could go out to the bar afterwards. Our schedule came out today, with the league starting 9/9, 7 Friday games, and a couple early Sunday night games added in. I figured, oh, this will make everyone happy since no one has to complain about work or not being able to drink after. Well, of course, 4 people back out of the team so they dont have to give up their Fridays, only one having already paid. Have a week to find 4 players, always fun stuff.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

dms666 posted:

Might as well add more to the fun stuff about being a captain. Our games are anywhere from 9:30-11:30 starts on Mon-Fri. So, as expected, people would complain about having to get up for work the next day when we had 11:30 starts on Mon-Weds, or that there werent enough Friday games so we could go out to the bar afterwards. Our schedule came out today, with the league starting 9/9, 7 Friday games, and a couple early Sunday night games added in. I figured, oh, this will make everyone happy since no one has to complain about work or not being able to drink after. Well, of course, 4 people back out of the team so they dont have to give up their Fridays, only one having already paid. Have a week to find 4 players, always fun stuff.
I guess our team is just lucky that we've had a pretty good core of guys together for so long. I imagine starting a new team would be a pain in the rear end. A lot of guys on my team have played adult together for 5-10 years. Our team name isn't even our sponsor anymore... that's how old the team is.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Vital Signs posted:

I guess our team is just lucky that we've had a pretty good core of guys together for so long. I imagine starting a new team would be a pain in the rear end. A lot of guys on my team have played adult together for 5-10 years. Our team name isn't even our sponsor anymore... that's how old the team is.

Yeah thats the thing, we have been playing for 2 years now with just about the same group, maybe adding/losing 1 person a season. Oh well

That is nice that you have been playing together for that long though, would be nice to keep most of my group together for that long, just makes it so much easier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I honestly prefer leagues that are individual registrations and a giant draft every season amongst the leagues captains. It's a bit random who you will get on your team but captains seemed to pick like minded players and for the most part teams seemed to stay somewhat similar.

This also helped with the machismo and dirty play bullshit because after a few seasons in the league you kind of knew and played with at least a few guys on the other teams, which helps defuse situations. Much more community focused. Lots of cross locker room beer drinking after games.

Also helped releave captains of the money side of roster management which I always think is completely unfair.

Also this helps with player skill as the people who sandbag in lower levels will get drafted into the higher leagues but if you're on the bubble they will ask you beforehand if you're comfortable moving up.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

dms666 posted:

Yeah thats the thing, we have been playing for 2 years now with just about the same group, maybe adding/losing 1 person a season. Oh well

That is nice that you have been playing together for that long though, would be nice to keep most of my group together for that long, just makes it so much easier.
I've only been on the team for 2 years. I'm part of the random new players they acquire every year. You'll pretty much see around 5 new faces each year that are a friend or whatever... and every once in a while someone will stick. Most of the dudes in the team are 10 years older then me in their early to mid 30's.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I never understood the people who complain about game times, especially not to captains. As I understand the process, these people sign up for the league knowing exactly what time frame on what days games might be played. Captains also have no say in when games are played as far as I know.

I have never been a captain, but I don't think it would be out of line to tell the whiners to shut the gently caress up or go home.

This probably has something to do with why I haven't been a captain.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

cenzo posted:

I never understood the people who complain about game times, especially not to captains. As I understand the process, these people sign up for the league knowing exactly what time frame on what days games might be played. Captains also have no say in when games are played as far as I know.

I have never been a captain, but I don't think it would be out of line to tell the whiners to shut the gently caress up or go home.

This probably has something to do with why I haven't been a captain.
Captain in beer leagues is just a fancy word for babysitter. People bitch and complain, but you are right in saying they know going in. It's best to just let them vent and follow it up with "so you comin?"

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm not price hunting. I just want stuff that'll last a reasonable time. If it's a good price, even better but it's not my motivation.

Not sure what level of gear you have now but the things that I've spent a little extra on are skates, helmet and gloves.

A good quality Helmets lasts a decently long time. Gloves and Skates I feel the mid to mid/high price range is worth the money because of the quality compared to the low end gear is just so much better.

I play roller so this may not translate as much with ice skates but there's a dividing point in quality where the outsole (the area where the chassis/blade is attached to the boot) goes from being a plastic to composite. around the $300 price point.

I picked up a pair of Bauer Supreme one55 gloves last year and I still use them today. the palms are fine and the rest of the glove is pretty much intact. Compare this to the lower end Bauer's where I've worn through 2 sets of palms in 6 months

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Not sure what level of gear you have now but the things that I've spent a little extra on are skates, helmet and gloves.

A good quality Helmets lasts a decently long time. Gloves and Skates I feel the mid to mid/high price range is worth the money because of the quality compared to the low end gear is just so much better.

I play roller so this may not translate as much with ice skates but there's a dividing point in quality where the outsole (the area where the chassis/blade is attached to the boot) goes from being a plastic to composite. around the $300 price point.

I picked up a pair of Bauer Supreme one55 gloves last year and I still use them today. the palms are fine and the rest of the glove is pretty much intact. Compare this to the lower end Bauer's where I've worn through 2 sets of palms in 6 months
Eagle gloves or nothing.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

...I play roller ...

Whereabouts? If you don't mind sharing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Eagle gloves or nothing.

Details? They have a higher price tag, what makes 'em worth it?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

Details? They have a higher price tag, what makes 'em worth it?
Where do I begin. It's pretty much everything you'd ever want in a pair of gloves. So comfortable there isn't even a break in period, so durable that I would be shocked if you wore them out in any small amount of time. Go to the store, and try a pair on. No other glove comes close. There are three things I care about in terms of brand... skates, sticks, and gloves. Everything else I've never been overly impressed by one brand.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

Whereabouts? If you don't mind sharing?

Deptford Skate Center, South Jersey

[quote]Eagle gloves or nothing. [/qoute]

Are they leather or the nylon? I like the breath-ability of nylon. Also which model do you use? I don't like a big bulky glove and prefer something a little more tapered.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 2, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Vital Signs posted:

Eagle gloves or nothing.

You mean Warrior :v:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Deptford Skate Center, South Jersey

[quote]Eagle gloves or nothing. [/qoute]

Are they leather or the nylon? I like the breath-ability of nylon. Also which model do you use? I don't like a big bulky glove and prefer something a little more tapered.
Best advice I can give you is to try them out at a store, as I do not have any of the answers to your questions available at this time.

poser posted:

You mean Warrior :v:
Never tried them. Probably a sub par experience.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I was a eagle glove whore till I tried on warriros, best gloves ever.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

poser posted:

Eastons. The EQ gloves have always been my favorites for mobility. I dont recall what they used to be but those were my favorites before that. I like the feel, the durability, the agility, and protectiveness all in one.

I would never get another glove if I could get the eagle palms on my eastons though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm a Bauer whore. Gloves - one55's, Stick - Vapor X:20 two piece, Helmet - 5100 with cage, Shinpads - Vapor XIVs I think...

I'd be up for trying a higher end glove if it lasted me forever but I love my vapor stick. So much I can barely use non rounded corner sticks anymore

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Am I the only one who hates the change of high end glove material to nylon?

Ever since I was a kid nylon gloves meant they were cheap, why in the last 5 years or so did that reverse?

I'm using a pair of mid range Eastons right now because they are leather(synthetic obv but still), and my next pair of gloves I'm going to have to special order some Warriors to get them in leather.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

poser posted:

Warriors are great for 3 weeks, then for the next week you have to close your eyes and hope you didn't get the pair that will have the palms explode and the rest of the gloves unstitch themselves.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Eagles feel like soft velvet inside and make me want to wear them around the house if they didn't smell like death.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
True story:

I was wearing my first pair (and brand new) of Eagles when I broke my wrist. I couldn't take them off because i was supporting my wrist inside of them at the hospital. When the nurse offered to cut them off I yelled at her and we found a way to get them off without cutting them.

At that point I think I'd rather they cut my arm off before the gloves.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Glove fit depends heavily on your hand shape. While I have a lot of respect for the construction quality of Eagle gloves, they tend to run wide on my bottom two fingers. Same with CCM. Bauers fit me much better.

When playing outdoors, though, nothing beats choppers.

Speaking of which, the registration deadline for the USPHC is in less that two weeks. Who's going?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Screw you guys and your Eagles, I loving love my Bauer Pro 4 Roll's and wouldn't get rid of 'em for anything. So big and comfy

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I have a pair of Easton s17's and I think it's the nicest palm I've ever had on a glove.

Also you get a lot more movement out of your thumb in the s17's due to their segmented padding which is great for picking up poo poo quick off the ice.

They seem to take fine to being thrown in the washing machine too and they dry pretty quick. The synthetic palm also never seems to stiffen up when drying.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

You will get new teammates and he will bug you to go grab a beer, make fun of the place you choose and then bail on you to make cheese

Your team sounds awesome. That guy rules.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
10 days until the Killabees first game and I havent been on the ice in a month. I'm hosed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I've been resting my foot for 3ish weeks now, so no skating at all. Season starts in 8 days. Luckily we have a preseason game to work out the rust...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

coldwind posted:

Warriors are great for 3 weeks, then for the next week you have to close your eyes and hope you didn't get the pair that will have the palms explode and the rest of the gloves unstitch themselves.
I got a pair of Warrior gloves earlier this year and, yeah, they've already started to unstitch themselves. :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I just purchased a puck bag and 15 pucks for my team. Is there anything else that I need to bring as a captain? I know that the captain for the other team that I play on always brings a first aid kit with aspirin and antacid tablets, so I assume that I should bring something similar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent $400 on hockey gear today. :psyduck:

I could have ordered everything online, save some money, but this way I'm sure everything fits, and I gave some money to a great local shop.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I would make sure you at least have an assortment of bandages so anyone who gets a minor cut can get it fixed up quick on the bench rather then heading back to the dressing room.

Edit: I'm also looking at getting a new pair of skates so far I like the Reebok 8k's the most. I would love some 10k's or 11k's but I'm not sure if my skating is strong enough that I would notice a difference.

The only reason I am going for the 8k's is that the last pair of skates I owned and really liked where a pair of 3k's. Eventually I started to feel like I was out skating my 3k's, so I upgraded to a pair of Graf 502's and I just can't get comfortable with them. I feel like I have lost a ton of speed and my balance on backwards maneuvers is terrible. Also if I don't lace them just right I get terrible lace bite and will probably spend the 3rd period on totally numb feet.

I don't really know anything of Easton and CCM skates and I haven't owned a pair of Bauers since I was 16.

Should I make the jump to 10 or 11k's? or should I save $100 and just get the 7k's? Do other brands offer similar/superior skates? I've budgeted for something in the $400-$650 CDN range, but I don't want to end up with a pair of high end skates that I hate a year later.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 3, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Aniki posted:

I just purchased a puck bag and 15 pucks for my team. Is there anything else that I need to bring as a captain? I know that the captain for the other team that I play on always brings a first aid kit with aspirin and antacid tablets, so I assume that I should bring something similar.

Water bottles?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Aniki posted:

Motherfuckin' biosteel, only the best.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Gio posted:

I got a pair of Warrior gloves earlier this year and, yeah, they've already started to unstitch themselves. :(
Their quality control is putrid. A lot of people never run into problems, a lot of people do.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

coldwind posted:

Their quality control is putrid. A lot of people never run into problems, a lot of people do.

Yeah... I'm about 30 games in on my warriors with no problem

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've been emailing with the league director at one of the local rinks:

Me: Hey, I'm playing at [other rink] this fall but I was wondering if I could get on the sub list for your league.

*two weeks pass*

League Director: Ok, fill out this form and email it back to me.

Me: Ok, here's the form, remember I just want to sub.

*two weeks pass*

League Director: Ok, I placed you on a team, the league fee is due in full in two days.

:psyduck:

I'd actually try to play on both teams except a bunch of the games overlap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wish we had 2 rinks here :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Which of you guys are on the Goon Squad in D2 in Ann Arbor? I'll be seeing you on the 20th :D