Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

VanSandman posted:

Its not like film cleanup and recoloring is a new thing - they did it for The Godfather, they can do it for loving Star Wars.
Just have to find a print of the original theatrical release that is in good condition, transfer it to a computer, get some good folks to do a frame-by-frame cleanup (basically recoloring washed out colors and "content aware fill" Photoshop tricks) and then bam, good restored version ready to print on DVDs and Blu-Ray.
But that won't happen because that takes effort.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan initiative in this respect.

Someone out there has got to have a decent 70mm print of the originals. Cleanup could be divided amongst enthusiasts and a duplicated effort would allow the organizer to select the best clean ups and corrections available. Beyond that, dubbing in the DVD's 6.1 will have to be a "good enough" solution.

But you are correct, it'll never happen because :effort:

edit:

Echo Chamber posted:

I actually remember shortly after Episode III came out, when people were initially making fun of Vader's No Scream, someone put up on YouTube an edit of ROTJ scene with the No added to it.

I wonder if Lucas saw that, thought unironically it was a good addition, and decided to make it official his next chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQozw40Mso - not that scene, but this one always gave me a chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

VanSandman posted:

Its not like film cleanup and recoloring is a new thing - they did it for The Godfather, they can do it for loving Star Wars.
Just have to find a print of the original theatrical release that is in good condition, transfer it to a computer, get some good folks to do a frame-by-frame cleanup (basically recoloring washed out colors and "content aware fill" Photoshop tricks) and then bam, good restored version ready to print on DVDs and Blu-Ray.
But that won't happen because that takes effort.

Here's a rather interesting article about this very subject. http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

I'm pretty sure the original reels were destroyed making the Special Editions.

edit: VVV well I stand corrected!

alg fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 1, 2011

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

angrylinuxgeek posted:

Here's a rather interesting article about this very subject. http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

I'm pretty sure the original reels were destroyed making the Special Editions.

Several well kept originals still exist. I know Salt Mines in Utah and Kansas have both claimed to have copies of at least one of the films from the OT, though google is failing me at the moment...

edit:

Yep, it's the Salt Mine in Hutchinson, Kansas:

"Excavated portions of the mine are used for archival storage of movie and television masters, data tapes, and permanent business records. Underground Vaults & Storage currently houses the masters for The Wizard of Oz (1939), Gone with the Wind (1939), and Star Wars, (1977) among many others."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But you are correct, it'll never happen because :effort:

Also, LucasFilm lawyers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I missed this thread :unsmith:

Been using the X-Wing books as my bathroom reading since January, finally got to #8. Jorge, why do you spend time making R2 hide behind rocks instead of exploiting the best parts of the EU :smith:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I want a good Rogue Squadron tv-series so bad it makes me feel bad knowing it won't ever happen :smith:

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I want a good Rogue Squadron tv-series so bad it makes me feel bad knowing it won't ever happen :smith:

Reading that got me excited! How cool would that be?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

angry_zellers posted:

My secret wish is that George Lucas dies and somehow, a Rogue Squadron series ends up getting made the same way they remade BSG.

I wish...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

angry_zellers posted:

It would be awesome. My favorite parts of the EU are probably original trilogy through Thrawn (and slightly afterwards...basically pre-Vong, ignoring the poo poo like Black Fleet). X-Wings blowing up TIE fighters, rebel commandos skulking around the galaxy striking at the evil empire could be any of a number of series. Star Wars just gives it a really nice universe to work in.

Isn't there a new Wraith book coming out this year? I forgot all about it!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

movax posted:

Isn't there a new Wraith book coming out this year? I forgot all about it!

It takes place after FotJ or something, so all the dudes will be like 65.

dogflaps
Apr 17, 2008
Does anyone else think that George is secretly just trolling us all? I mean, I know people joke about it, but I'm serious. I genuinely believe that Lucas is just laughing his rear end off, seeing how far he can push the fans before they truly stop buying this stuff.

I mean, he KNOWS how much ridicule the 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' in RotS got. He HAS too. He knows how much people hate the changes; he's been spotted in a Han Shot First t-shirt. There is absolutely no way he could add the 'No.... NOOOO!' into RotJ with a straight face. I 100% believe he's just taking the piss now.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

arioch posted:

It takes place after FotJ or something, so all the dudes will be like 65.

This seems like a ploy to get me to read FotJ, but noooope. I don't give a poo poo about whether or not I'm going to be confused reading it, beyond the X-Wing, Thrawn and maybe some Tales From-books, I'm not touching the EU novels.

...that's still like 15 books :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

dogflaps posted:

Does anyone else think that George is secretly just trolling us all? I mean, I know people joke about it, but I'm serious. I genuinely believe that Lucas is just laughing his rear end off, seeing how far he can push the fans before they truly stop buying this stuff.

I mean, he KNOWS how much ridicule the 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' in RotS got. He HAS too. He knows how much people hate the changes; he's been spotted in a Han Shot First t-shirt. There is absolutely no way he could add the 'No.... NOOOO!' into RotJ with a straight face. I 100% believe he's just taking the piss now.

Gonna predict a "Vader was Silent" shirt available on ThinkGeek before the year is out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Yep, it's the Salt Mine in Hutchinson, Kansas:

"Excavated portions of the mine are used for archival storage of movie and television masters, data tapes, and permanent business records. Underground Vaults & Storage currently houses the masters for The Wizard of Oz (1939), Gone with the Wind (1939), and Star Wars, (1977) among many others."
Watch Jorge hire mercenaries to destroy the originals, with extreme prejudice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I always thought the way Vader was silently just looking at what was happening while the Emperor fried Luke made him look pretty wooden, a guy in a suit. But quietly walking over and grabbing the Emperor was a nice move and it's a shame George had to add that to the list of Needless Fuckery.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Really? I thought David Prowse did a great job of conveying that moment of indecision through what was basically a gas mask. His body language; up until that moment Vader had always stood tall and straight, imposing and indestructible. In that moment, his shoulders are slumped and his head down. He looks tired and unsure of himself for the first time in the whole trilogy. That coupled with the fact that his armour, always gleaming and perfect, is scuffed and dull really sold me on the moment.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Really? I thought David Prowse did a great job of conveying that moment of indecision through what was basically a gas mask. His body language; up until that moment Vader had always stood tall and straight, imposing and indestructible. In that moment, his shoulders are slumped and his head down. He looks tired and unsure of himself for the first time in the whole trilogy. That coupled with the fact that his armour, always gleaming and perfect, is scuffed and dull really sold me on the moment.

Yeah, this. Adding the "NOOO" absolutely ruins Prowse's acting, and that entire scene. It's much more powerful with just the glances and then the sort of "gently caress it" conviction.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd wager that the "No!" was something that was in the original script that Marquand decided to leave out (rightly so). It's exactly the kind of emotionally tone-deaf thing that seems to characterize Lucas' writing.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gonna predict a "Vader was Silent" shirt available on ThinkGeek before the year is out.

or NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! to NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've been listening to the NPR Star Wars radio dramas that were brought up several pages back, and they're really fun! I find the way they've adapted the script for radio very amusing. Because you can't 'show' you have to 'tell' everything that's going on, so you get lots of silly bits during the action sequences where characters spell out exactly what's happening in real time. I'm on Return of the Jedi now, and the weirdest thing so far has been that in RotJ Lando is voiced by what really sounds like a white guy. In Empire he was definitely black, strange!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Boondock Saint posted:

My secret wish is that George Lucas dies and somehow, a Rogue Squadron series ends up getting made the same way they remade BSG.

I wish...

I am no longer of the opinion that the death of George Lucas will bring about the Star Wars Renaissance that we are all pining for. For one thing, we have no clue who George intends to leave ownership of his franchise to. In all probability, it'll be one or more of his kids that will take over the franchise when he dies. I don't much about his children, but it seems less likely that will they blossom into magnanimous stewards of cinema than they will be self-entitled dipshits eager to leave "their" mark on the franchise without any of the discipline to do so in a thoughtful manner.

Second, for years the people of Lucasarts have been conditioned by George to never question anything that comes from the top. This attitude is likely to persist for a very long time after George steps down. Only now they are taking their marching orders from someone who had no input whatsoever in how Star Wars came about.

Finally, Star Wars is such a lumbering beast of a business that it has continued to be financially successful after taking numerous missteps that would have sunk any other franchise. I would like to believe that the rest of the fan base gets so sick of these Stars Wars like we have...but I am not holding my breath.

Then again, one key reason that Star Wars hasn't bottomed out is that while George has fumbled plenty in the last 13 years, he never spent extravagantly on such ventures. I doubt that his successors, who grew up accustomed to wealth, would have the same discipline.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So the NOOO part is real? And in the movies? What the christ?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirPhoebos posted:

I am no longer of the opinion that the death of George Lucas will bring about the Star Wars Renaissance that we are all pining for. For one thing, we have no clue who George intends to leave ownership of his franchise to. In all probability, it'll be one or more of his kids that will take over the franchise when he dies. I don't much about his children, but it seems less likely that will they blossom into magnanimous stewards of cinema than they will be self-entitled dipshits eager to leave "their" mark on the franchise without any of the discipline to do so in a thoughtful manner.

Second, for years the people of Lucasarts have been conditioned by George to never question anything that comes from the top. This attitude is likely to persist for a very long time after George steps down. Only now they are taking their marching orders from someone who had no input whatsoever in how Star Wars came about.

Finally, Star Wars is such a lumbering beast of a business that it has continued to be financially successful after taking numerous missteps that would have sunk any other franchise. I would like to believe that the rest of the fan base gets so sick of these Stars Wars like we have...but I am not holding my breath.

Then again, one key reason that Star Wars hasn't bottomed out is that while George has fumbled plenty in the last 13 years, he never spent extravagantly on such ventures. I doubt that his successors, who grew up accustomed to wealth, would have the same discipline.

Once he dies I hope we get the Holiday Special Special edition.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ringo Star Get posted:

So the NOOO part is real? And in the movies? What the christ?

Admittedly we don't know yet. They came from leaked audio, which fans then dubbed over the scenes to show what it will look like, but it could be a hoax. It's just really hard to believe it isn't true at this point.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Admittedly we don't know yet. They came from leaked audio, which fans then dubbed over the scenes to show what it will look like. It's just really hard to believe it isn't true at this point.

They've confirmed the No is in the film. That and the Puppet Yoda being replaced.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

They've confirmed the No is in the film. That and the Puppet Yoda being replaced.
Only in Episode 1, thank god.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Katie Lucas wrote a pretty decent set of episodes for clone wars. If ol' fatneck leaves things in her hands things might be ok.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

angrylinuxgeek posted:

Katie Lucas wrote a pretty decent set of episodes for clone wars. If ol' fatneck leaves things in her hands things might be ok.

They can't be much worse.

Part of my hopes that Lucas, in his will, leaves full creative control of Star Wars to Karen Treviss.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They can't be much worse.

Part of my hopes that Lucas, in his will, leaves full creative control of Star Wars to Karen Treviss.

One benefit to Lucas' complete removal from the EU is that he probably has no idea who Karen Traviss is at all.

I do think it most likely that Katie Lucas will probably be the head honcho once George dies, and she seems to be at least somewhat more grounded in reality than her dad. I think Dave Filoni of all people said she managed to convince George to abandon some ridiculous plot idea he had for the Clone Wars (really wish I remembered what it was) so that's at least comforting.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The fuckers even messed with the Emperor's voice apparently. Goddamnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF4YGIg-lZA

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Strange that Lucas never actually fixed the one effect that DOES look dated: the Emperor's ROTJ lightning.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

The fuckers even messed with the Emperor's voice apparently. Goddamnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF4YGIg-lZA

I nearly fell for this and then I realized what I was hearing. This is loving great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Only in Episode 1, thank god.

Didn't they DVD do this anyway? (I believe they "remastered" it for DVD since the initial release was VHS only and Lucas cant go without remastering films that have barely gathered dust). If I'm remembering that correctly then it's obvious it'd do that I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Roboto posted:

Strange that Lucas never actually fixed the one effect that DOES look dated: the Emperor's ROTJ lightning.

No they changed it for the special editions right? I recall it not being so purple in the theatrical releases.

Also I'm calling now that the blu-ray editions will set a record for the most pirated movies ever.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think my brother is an addict. I showed him return of the no. He hated every change Lucas has made. He hated the prequels. And he's still going to buy the BR set.

:sigh: There but for the grace of midichlorians go I...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I think my brother is an addict. I showed him return of the no. He hated every change Lucas has made. He hated the prequels. And he's still going to buy the BR set.

:sigh: There but for the grace of midichlorians go I...

I don't blame him honestly, I'll probably get them too when I get back to the states, because as someone earlier mentioned it's not about having the newest picture, it's that DVDs look bad upscaled, it's about keeping an image that is watchable.

The little changes suck, I'm not trying to undersell that fact, because it's worth getting annoyed or even a little angry by, but I don't think they are a dealbreaker. It's still the story of adventure and redemption we all love.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think almost all the changes aren't deal breakers because a lot of them are just dumb little cosmetic changes and putting in CG characters from the prequels or something.

But adding the "No" to that Vader scene, I think, is a deal breaker. I showed a friend that they were doing that, and she immediately cancelled her pre-order. I think a lot of people will simply because of that particular change.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 2, 2011

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to continue watching the VHS on my smaller TV.

Every nerd has his breaking point. :negative:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Fox of Stone posted:

Without going all 'spergy nuts - I really wish people would just refuse to buy the BluRays, not because of any one particular change, but because the movies have been modified so much beyond what we first came to enjoy, that they're not the same movies anymore.

I wish we could vote with our wallets and say no, we don't want this...

But they're going to sell like loving hot cakes no matter what. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fox of Stone posted:

Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to continue watching the VHS on my smaller TV.

If you're into that sort of thing, look into a GOUT fan edit. There are a couple of really solid ones out there that have recreated the original OT cut and visuals, keeping some of the Special Edition changes like erasing matte lines. Hopefully someone puts out an even better one after these DVDs come out.