Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Melonhead posted:

What kind of plant is this and how can I take better care of it? It's 38 years old and I've had it for 3. As long as I've had it, it's always looked like droopy poo poo like this.

Newer/smaller leaves aren't as wilted:

That's a schefflera.
http://houseplants.about.com/od/foliageplants/p/Schefflera.htm

They are one tough houseplant, as you've found, but it's nowhere near living up to its potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why can't I put a lens on my laser and turn it into a powerful flashlight?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

marshmallard posted:

Ugh that's exactly what I mean. But you see the 100% and the hundreds of feedback points and don't think to click through to the comments :/ what a broken system.

If your unpaid item case has been open a while and she hasn't responded, you can go back to it and close it. You'll then get your fees back for the first auction :)

It's not perfect but it's something. Also you never know, you might be the last unpaid item strike she needed to get banned!

Ah, well getting my fees back would be something. Thanks for the information!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FogHelmut posted:

Someone will explain in better than laymans terms but from what I know you can diffuse the beam to make it bigger like a flashlight (try binoculars) but it wont be powerful because even a super illegal customs-gonna-take-it-away 200mw cigar lighting baloon popping laser is nowhere near powerful compared to a flashlight. 200mw of laser looks bright as gently caress because its all concentrated in a tiny beam and is a pure solid green, a single wavelength of green and green is a color your eye is very sensitive to and picks up real easy.

I have a 50mw green and I can point it at the white ceiling of the garage when I used to have the lights off playing with it and it will light up the room pretty decent for walking around not hitting poo poo but you can't exactly do watch repair by its light.

edit: and disclaimer if you try pointing it through binocs, don't be thinking it's safe to get in your eye just because its diffused and weak. It could still be bad, plus a lot of the cheaper green lasers like I have are actually an IR laser that's like 10x the rated "green" power, the IR gets converted to green but some of the IR laser that doesn't get converted comes out the front. Some say at an off-angle. This is more dangerous than green since you can't see IR and it wont make you blink.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Because it's only really bright when it's all aligned in a single thin beam. You could rig a ghetto series of mirrors and lenses to turn a regular lamp into a laser-like beam and it would look much brighter than that lamp by itself but it would basically be the same total light output.

Ever turn on a maglight with the bulb cover and mirrored lens thing off? Notice how it's a lot harder to light up a specific area with it despite it being the same lamp? Same idea as if you de-cohered the laser beam into a "laser" flashlight.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is the best way, either in store or online, to printing custom posters?

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I really want to convince Windows Vista's backup program to not backup individual folders (Specifically, my steam folder). Is there anything I can do about this? :(

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
What is this little guy? I used to know, but I've forgotten.

colt45andashove
Nov 24, 2003
a13ean's bitch
Smart electronics people:

I'm a dumbass and plugged a solenoid valve controller and solenoid valve into an adapter that was 12v AC, instead of the required 12v DC.

How screwed am I?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the best way, either in store or online, to printing custom posters?

check out posterbrain.com
I've used them and liked the paper quality. Print quality depends all on your image.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is much more of an opinion based question rather than factual. What other online clothing stores are comparable to the goon sponsored/run Enclothe? I could have sworn a while back there were a few other clothing store threads. I'm open to any suggestions, goon run or not. If the scope of the question is too broad, i'll make a thread for it too.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 2, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was reading this just now and remembering the days of the moral panic surrounding video games, and it got me thinking, where are we now on moral panic? I don't watch TV news anymore and that is mostly its domain, so I am out of the loop. As far as I know, over my lifetime it went:

rap music -> video games -> the internet -> cellphones (sexting!!) -> social networking sites -> ?
People still freak out about hip hop, video games, the Internet and all of that. Surely the freakout over OMG MUSLIM INVASION SHARIA LAW OH poo poo qualifies too, along with the continuing ALL DRUGS ARE EVIL (except the ones we're making money on). We're not in a post-moral-panic world, we're basically in a world where 24-hour news channels try to make sure we live in an all-moral-panic world.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's a good place for custom calendars?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What's a good place for custom calendars?

If you don't need them immediately, wait until Groupon has a coupon for one of the online printing services. I got a $100 credit at Picaboo for $25.
http://www.picaboo.com/calendars/
I've seen them about once a month. The reviews seem to indicate that all the major companies are about the same.
Shutterfly does them too, and I've heard decent reviews of their services:
http://www.shutterfly.com/calendars

However, the only online printer that I've actually used, and that I can recommend, is https://www.printingforless.com/calendars.html
but I've only ever gotten postcards. The quality and price were good.
The minimum is 250 though; I don't know if you were looking for bulk or not. If not, go with one of the personal album printing companies above.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

How far do FM signals travel?

I use an FM radio transmitter to listen to my iPod in the car (yeah, I know there are better options out there but I just haven't gotten around to it). This morning the blank radio station I usually set my radio on wasn't blank, but was instead a radio station from 150 miles away (straight distance, not driving distance). What's up with this?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Florida Betty posted:

I use an FM radio transmitter to listen to my iPod in the car (yeah, I know there are better options out there but I just haven't gotten around to it). This morning the blank radio station I usually set my radio on wasn't blank, but was instead a radio station from 150 miles away (straight distance, not driving distance). What's up with this?

Lots of factors affect FM signal strength; transmitter power, power and "nearness" of other signals close to that band, topography, weather, etc., but if this is the first time this has happened in that location it might have been a lucky bit of cloud cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX#Sporadic_E_propagation_.28E-skip.29

Otherwise, you can look up the station here to see if buildings or natural features funnel the signal an unusual way.

http://radio-locator.com/

Edit: In inaccurate layman terms, signals travel both in a "line of sight" way and by reflection. Clouds and atmospheric conditions can reflect the signals surprising distances sometimes, or limit them immensely.

Edit 2: If you are really curious, I work at a broadcaster's association and can ask one of our engineers, but this type of thing, while not common, is not exactly uncommon either. They could have also gotten an FM translator, which is just a signal repeater that increases their broadcast range while staying in line with FCC regulations. These require their own license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station#Radio_2

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 2, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Florida Betty posted:

Wikipedia posted:

High power is useful in penetrating buildings, diffracting around hills, and refracting for some distance beyond the horizon. 100,000 watt FM stations can regularly be heard up to 100 miles (160 km) away, and farther (e.g., 150 miles, 240 km) if there are no competing signals.

I thought FM was generally line-of-sight (i.e. as far as the horizon) but I guess when strong enough it can bend.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come Chrome (on my netbook) generally won't show the contents of one tab until all tabs have finished loading?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Astro Cake posted:

Some kind of gecko?

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I just checked my emails and someone has registered a Facebook account with my email address. It's pretty common that people use my address because it's (firstname.lastname)@gmail.com

But I don't understand how this person has created the account without verifying my email address. As far as I can see my email account hasn't been hacked as Gmail says the last login was 17th August.

At 16:34:05 I got Subject: Just one more step to get started on Facebook
At 16:34:08 I got Subject: Welcome to Facebook

Then a bunch of "X added you as a friend", "Y confirmed you as a friend."

The emails all have a link at the bottom under "Didn't sign up for Facebook? Please let us know:" but if I click the link I just get taken to a page that says "You must log in to see this page."

How did someone create this account without verifying the email?
How do I stop getting these messages?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: Actually since it sounds like this just happened.

quote:

Most likely, someone mistakenly tried to register using your email address. Do not click the link in the email. If you don’t click the link, the account will not be confirmed. An unconfirmed account can remain on the site for a maximum of three days, but it can’t be used to send messages, write on Walls, post in discussions, poke, tag friends in photos or notes, comment on content, join groups, or like pages. After three days without the email owner’s confirmation, the account will become inaccessible.

If someone created an account to impersonate or imitate you, learn more about how to report a fake profile that is pretending to be you.
Permalink · Share

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There used to be a bug in Gmail that would ignore periods in email addresses, but I thought they fixed that long ago.

(It would have treated firstname.lastname@gmail.com and firstnamelastname@gmail.com as the same address and they would have gotten each other's mail.)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

haveblue posted:

There used to be a bug in Gmail that would ignore periods in email addresses, but I thought they fixed that long ago.

(It would have treated firstname.lastname@gmail.com and firstnamelastname@gmail.com as the same address and they would have gotten each other's mail.)

That's not a bug, and it's still there. I just confirmed it with my own address. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=10313

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

stubblyhead posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Uh, I got someones DMV registration. Girl with my name in a whole other state. I don't understand how this 'feature' works unless homegirl gave the DMV a fake email address. Yes, it was legit, I spoke to the DMV in that state and they said they took care of it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

2508084 posted:

Uh, I got someones DMV registration. Girl with my name in a whole other state. I don't understand how this 'feature' works unless homegirl gave the DMV a fake email address. Yes, it was legit, I spoke to the DMV in that state and they said they took care of it.

Mail sent to Gmail will get sent to the box that matches it without periods. t.e.s.t@gmail.com will go to test@gmail.com. That's how the 'feature' works.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

Mail sent to Gmail will get sent to the box that matches it without periods. t.e.s.t@gmail.com will go to test@gmail.com. That's how the 'feature' works.

Then shouldn't it have gone to her? My email is first.last@gmail.com

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

2508084 posted:

The odds are more likely she put down the wrong address. Mine is flast1@, and I occasionally get ones for other people that, presumably have no 1 or a 2 or something.

And try sending yourself something at firstlast@gmail.com. It'll get to you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

2508084 posted:

I get poo poo for another guy with the same name as me all the time. Usually dating site and online registration poo poo though. I really don't know what his deal is; I've never been able to figure out what his actual email address is.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

stubblyhead posted:

I get poo poo for another guy with the same name as me all the time. Usually dating site and online registration poo poo though. I really don't know what his deal is; I've never been able to figure out what his actual email address is.

I had this problem a while ago. Some dude with the same name as me used my email for his BYU account. I was getting emails from his professors and student loan crap. I replied to some of the emails being sent by humans to try to get them to contact the guy, but drat, some people are just stupid. I eventually contacted BYU's computer services department and they made the guy set up a correct email address.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

2508084 posted:

your email is firstlast and first.last. Once one is registered, the other can't be, and it's always been like that.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I had this problem a while ago. Some dude with the same name as me used my email for his BYU account. I was getting emails from his professors and student loan crap. I replied to some of the emails being sent by humans to try to get them to contact the guy, but drat, some people are just stupid.
Yeah I get inter-office emails from some kind of health care provider firm of some sort. I got them for like a year and ignored them. Every one says "This is confidential information blah blah". So finally I replied and said "You have the wrong email, I think you have the wrong contact info for (this person), I've been getting this for a year blah blah". And of course they completely ignored it and I still get the emails.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 2, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Schweinhund posted:

your email is firstlast and first.last. Once one is registered, the other can't be, and it's always been like that.

Ohh :downs: Thanks. I always wondered about that

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Astro Cake posted:

I know what he is: Adorable :3:

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

2508084 posted:

Ohh :downs: Thanks. I always wondered about that

The Feature as I understand it is that you need that "." to log into your account. So if your email was registered as f.irst.last@gmail.com and you gave your email as first.last@gmail.com you would receive all your email but anyone using the email address you gave them to log into your account would not be able to.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Ridonkulous posted:

The Feature as I understand it is that you need that "." to log into your account. So if your email was registered as f.irst.last@gmail.com and you gave your email as first.last@gmail.com you would receive all your email but anyone using the email address you gave them to log into your account would not be able to.

No, this is incorrect.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Sailors were crafting fake mermen out of guitarfish or manta rays up until a hundred years ago or so I believe. Some of these still exist. They have a special name but I can't think of it. It's not the Feejee Mermaid, but something with a women's name in it, "...anne" or something like that. Does somebody know the term?

Here is the fish I am talking about.
http://fishanatomy.net/webpages/fish/guitarfish/L_external.htm

Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ridonkulous posted:

No it isn't. I don't know what the feature is for, but I think it's for organizational purposes. For example my address is fiilast@gmail, but I give that to personal contacts. I used to set a filter that autotagged anything sent to fii.last@gmail as work-related because I gave my work contacts an address with the period in it. Now I have a proper work address so I just set up forwarding :v:

Bills, on the other hand, go to f.ii.last@gmail.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Mak0rz posted:

No it isn't. I don't know what the feature is for, but I think it's for organizational purposes. For example my address is fiilast@gmail, but I give that to personal contacts. I used to set a filter that autotagged anything sent to fii.last@gmail as work-related because I gave my work contacts an address with the period in it. Now I have a proper work address so I just set up forwarding :v:

Bills, on the other hand, go to f.ii.last@gmail.

You can also add a '+' to the end of your account and add anything else you want, so fiilast+bills@gmail.com would also work.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Freeze posted:

You can also add a '+' to the end of your account and add anything else you want, so fiilast+bills@gmail.com would also work.

Assuming the thing you're using that with recognizes + as a valid character in an email address. A lot of them don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
Do babies have gut flora at birth? If not when and how they do pick it up?