Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm 11k and I like to look at joseki sometimes, but I don't have much memorized. I don't think I really know more than 5 josekis. But it seems interesting to use them as example of good shape, some of the patterns in them seems to help in any stage of the game because many of those aren't obvious for beginners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kebep
Jun 30, 2011

by T. Finninho
I play for a week. Currently 22 k. The game is simple to learn, but hard to master. The goons help a lot. Everybody should consider playing Go.

Zeh
Jul 9, 2006
i <3 segway

Under 15 posted:

Your mistake is twofold because now lovely is going to post in your thread

Hell yes.

tarepanda posted:

Sorry if this is a derail, but I wanted to mention that I have a shogi thread. Japanese games stick together etc. I made the mistake (?) of putting it in the board games forum instead of A/T, so nobody sees it. :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425467

I've always wanted to get into shogi (I played once on some random server and won!), but I'm grinding into go so much lately that I can't really imagine learning a new game. Hopefully if I reach shodan soon enough I will start learning shogi because it's always been a game of huge interest to me.

ananasu posted:

Does anyone know about places to play Go in New York? I'll be spending a week there starting next Friday, and it'd be nice to play a game or two while I'm there.

Where exactly will you be staying? If you're in the city, you could stop by Fort Lee Baduk, located just outside Manhattan in Fort Lee, New Jersey. It's filled with old Korean men who are strong and I go there from time to time. In fact I'll probably be there this Saturday. Here's the website - http://www.fortleebaduk.com/Fort_Lee_Baduk/Welcome.html

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey Go goons. I just reg'd on KGS (I had another account a few years ago but I forgot what it was) as Tacks. Last time I was playing Go regularly (like 4 years ago almost) I was something-teen kyu, and had actually won like 2 games (and lost like a dozen). Last time I was playing Go I bought a nice, not-too-expensive board/stones/bowls set, but nobody wants to play with me live :( Anyway every time I read about Go I want to play Go, so I'm gonna give it another shot because it's really fun. That GBS thread reminded me again how awesome this game is.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Yo, soon-to-be-newbie Go player here, picking up the game in addition to chess. I have two questions, probably best suited for someone who plays both chess and Go:

1. How extensive is Go opening theory/what is it like? In particular, I'm asking how much someone would have to memorize if they wanted to be a reasonably strong (not professional, just not lovely) player. Or is it not so much memorization as pattern recognition?

2. Can someone give me a run-down of how Go rankings roughly compare with chess ELO ratings? For example, in chess:

2850+: Kasparov at peak strength, aka God Mode
2700-2800: world-class professionals/elite grandmasters
2400-2600: grandmaster strength, mostly unattainable by amateurs but not strong enough to be elite
2200-2300: master strength, attainable by amateurs with serious study, but would still get flattened by the pros
2000-2100: expert strength, very strong amateurs, attained by ~1% of the tournament-playing population
1600: average tournament player, makes lots of inaccurate moves, doesn't make horrible blunders *too* often
1000-1600: more and more blunders and inaccuracies
below 1000: :suicide:

What are the approximate kyu/dan rankings for these?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I stole this from the GBS thread.

code:
Double-digit kyu: 30 to 20 kyu                       Beginner
Double-digit kyu: 19 to 10 kyu                       Casual player
Single-digit kyu: 9 to 1 kyu                         Intermediate amateur
Amateur dan:      1–7d (where 8d is special title)   Advanced amateur
Professional dan: 1–9p (where 10p is special title)  Professional Player
This gives you a better understanding of the ranks, I guess comparably the baduk dan line is a bit below 2000 chess rating.

About openings, maybe this is just my experience as ~1000 chess player but memorizing openings in chess seems to be a must. In baduk not so much, you need to rely more on principles than in specific moves really, it seems like memorizing a lot of opening moves is more important if you're near dan level.

I'm not saying that you should ignore the opening lines, looking them up like I said before in the thread seems to be hella important to improve your patterns, familiarization is always good too.

EDIT: Found this http://senseis.xmp.net/?ELO

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 11, 2011

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Pro ranks in particular are not a good measure of strength, since gaining a rank is a slow process and you can never drop a rank. Young players are under ranked, and some older players are over ranked. It's common for a 1p to defeat a 9p.

There is no standard ranking curve. Amateurs in particular might be ranked 15 different ways depending on what server or national organization they're rated by.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

PaulC posted:

Pro ranks in particular are not a good measure of strength, since gaining a rank is a slow process and you can never drop a rank. Young players are under ranked, and some older players are over ranked. It's common for a 1p to defeat a 9p.

There is no standard ranking curve. Amateurs in particular might be ranked 15 different ways depending on what server or national organization they're rated by.

Note that none of this applies to anything you will ever experience in Go because no one here ever will be 1p or greater.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Zugzwang posted:

Yo, soon-to-be-newbie Go player here, picking up the game in addition to chess. I have two questions, probably best suited for someone who plays both chess and Go:

1. How extensive is Go opening theory/what is it like? In particular, I'm asking how much someone would have to memorize if they wanted to be a reasonably strong (not professional, just not lovely) player. Or is it not so much memorization as pattern recognition?

Go opening theory is super extensive but it's one of the least important things to actually study. If you play on a Korean server like Tygem or WBaduk their openings are perfectly horrible until they start to clean up around 5 dan. Western play styles tend to give a lot of focus to the opening since it's easy to write about in books, but for the overwhelming majority of players the winner of a game is dictated by how much firepower you can bring to the middle game and whether you can keep your stamina up into the endgame. Very few games are ended in the opening, and even when you fall for trick plays and hustles it's rarely fatal, just disadvantageous.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's true, you can open like a jackass and come back from it. Though at some point you need to tighten it up. As you get better, so does everybody else.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

So for the low, low price of a hundred dollar minimum donation, we can demand features for Kaya.gs. Oiseaux noted that one of the main things KGS is missing is cheevos, so let's compile a list and send it in to Danigabi.

My feature request is going to be to ask that any game you escape gets posted on your facebook status so everyone knows what you've done.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

You have aquired the achievement: "dipwood" for three successful escapes

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

You have aquired the achievement: "dipwood" for three successful escapes

Helsbecter Homage: Escape nine times (but not ten!)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What's the best way of becoming a more consistent player? Some days I'm just much better than on other days, and I can't really pin down the reason why. Is it just because I'm a beginner and a little variability is expected, or can I do something more active about it? Preferably in the direction of increasing my number of good days...

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It really depends. What's your rank? Where are you falling short?

Try experimenting with being more agressive and experiment with throw ins and try to play more "tesuji-style". Alternatively, you can try and play more solidly and defensive and focus on strong, but smaller moves. See which one gets you more results.

Do problems, read books. Get reviews.

Most importantly do not be disheartened by losing lots of games, it means you're improving, in the same way that after a workout, you feel tired and weak and sore for a couple of days, only to return stronger and fitter in time.

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003

House Louse posted:

What's the best way of becoming a more consistent player? Some days I'm just much better than on other days, and I can't really pin down the reason why. Is it just because I'm a beginner and a little variability is expected, or can I do something more active about it? Preferably in the direction of increasing my number of good days...

I am 3d and this is still an issue for me, so it doesn't have to do with being a beginner. I think the most important thing is to only play a game if you feel truly dedicated and focused on it. If there are distractions around you (environmental or personal) or you don't feel like your entire attention is on your play, you will underperform.

If I lose a game, I generally do not play another for at least a few hours. It is good to review it and think about your mistakes. If you lose and jump right back into another game you will probably be frustrated and make mistakes.

Wait to hit your focus zone before clicking Automatch.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
16K and climbing... I played a game online yesterday afternoon and then 4 people at my Go Club got into arguments over reviewing it, "nonono, THIS IS THE TETSUJI" etc.
I love doing things in person; any Chicago GOons in this thread/KGS?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Haoma posted:

I think the most important thing is to only play a game if you feel truly dedicated and focused on it.

I don't know about this; that's what almost caused me to burn out when I had the time for Go. Basically, I tried to make sure I played every game at my best, which made every game very stressful, and made me not want to play games with the excuse that I wasn't feeling at my best.

Now I just don't have enough time.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Quad posted:

people at my Go Club got into arguments over reviewing it, "nonono, THIS IS THE TETSUJI" etc.

This happens a lot at Go club, especially if you're getting reviewed by people who don't know how to teach. They'll lead you down some road about which is the most optimal or "correct" move when at 16k they should be focusing on overall global strategy and "feel" for correct moves

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

It really depends. What's your rank? Where are you falling short?

Try experimenting with being more agressive and experiment with throw ins and try to play more "tesuji-style". Alternatively, you can try and play more solidly and defensive and focus on strong, but smaller moves. See which one gets you more results.

Do problems, read books. Get reviews.

Most importantly do not be disheartened by losing lots of games, it means you're improving, in the same way that after a workout, you feel tired and weak and sore for a couple of days, only to return stronger and fitter in time.

I see I haven't introduced myself here then - I'm Anne on KGS, 14kyu at the moment.

I can't think why it is. On some days I feel good and confident and make good, big moves; others I make small or stupid ones. I can't really tell which it'll be in advance. Usually when I'm having an "off" day, I lose, but I'm not bothered by that so much as my bad playing. Contrariwise, if I play well and still lose, I'm not really bothered.

Maybe I just need to get back on the meds :v:

Anyway I bought some books, including James Davies' Tesuji, so I'll put some of that into practice soon, with a bit of luck.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Quad posted:

16K and climbing... I played a game online yesterday afternoon and then 4 people at my Go Club got into arguments over reviewing it, "nonono, THIS IS THE TETSUJI" etc.
I love doing things in person; any Chicago GOons in this thread/KGS?

Hey Chicagoon checking in. I haven't played in a while. Quad didn't we used to play back in the day. Which club do you go to? The lakeview one?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Was playing on Smart Go and GNU for a week just 9x9 but I think I'd rather go the whole "jump in" route and play ranked games on KGS. I'm pretty bad but I actually see myself getting better. I'm trying to get my wife to play now.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, so what can you do on KGS when your opponent just quits on you without resigning? I'm new to this and still unranked. :(

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Nothing happens. If they quit a lot of games they eventually get tagged as an escaper and will forfeit their future games on escaping; but this doesn't happen immediately. If you banned people for escaping there would be about 2 people on KGS.

Escapers become less and less frequent as your rank increases but if someone escapes on you, just remember that you won the game and that means you're stronger than you were. It makes no difference to your rank and your ability at Go

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Well, finally got my computer back from being repaired and am back on KGS after almost 2 months I think... and holy poo poo does it feel weird playing on a computer after playing in person at a club all summer. Does anyone else feel this way, or similarly in the other direction? I almost feel like I'm actively worse on the computer now, like I can't think about the game clearly. Not stopping me from playing though!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Sizzler Manager posted:

Okay, so what can you do on KGS when your opponent just quits on you without resigning? I'm new to this and still unranked. :(

Ranked games will have fewer escapers, but at low ranks there is no getting around the fact that your opponent will escape about 10-20% of the time when you are winning. This percentage will decrease as your rank goes down, but not very quickly.

One thing I like to stress for newer players is to turn down the time settings on their games. The default time settings on KGS are very high, and as a result a 19x19 game between low ranked players often winds up lasting an hour or more. This isn't really necessary, since newbies do not have a whole lot to think about. If you turn the time settings down to like five minutes main time, the whole game can be over in 20-30 minutes and if someone escapes you will have plenty of time for another.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 22, 2018

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
So now that I have played more than 30 games of Go i'm fairly certain I like the game quite a lot and I want to buy a board. Slight problem: amazon charges 140$ for shipping a 100$ board. Yellow mountain imports wants 160 :smith:. Is this normal?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
After playing SmartGo for about 2 weeks of doing the Auto-Leveling system I'm steadily in the level 6 range but I still don't feel like I have a knowledge of the game.

I mean, I react to how the AI plays more than formulating my own game plan. Is this something that develops naturally over the course of play?

EDIT: this is still 9x9, I try playing 19x19 but I just get crushed. Is it better to just stick to 19x19 and get the feel of the full game?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Funkysauce posted:

After playing SmartGo for about 2 weeks of doing the Auto-Leveling system I'm steadily in the level 6 range but I still don't feel like I have a knowledge of the game.

I mean, I react to how the AI plays more than formulating my own game plan. Is this something that develops naturally over the course of play?

EDIT: this is still 9x9, I try playing 19x19 but I just get crushed. Is it better to just stick to 19x19 and get the feel of the full game?

9x9 teaches you some of the tactics, but no where near as much strategy as 19x19. You tend focus on just fighting instead of building territory etc.

Stop playing bots and play real folks at your level.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

IMlemon posted:

So now that I have played more than 30 games of Go i'm fairly certain I like the game quite a lot and I want to buy a board. Slight problem: amazon charges 140$ for shipping a 100$ board. Yellow mountain imports wants 160 :smith:. Is this normal?

It looks like YMI's shipping is ~$40. I've only ever used their free shipping, since my order was over $125.

This set from Shodan Imports would probably be a good choice for a first board. No idea on how much shipping is, though. Spend as little as possible on your first board. You can always buy a better one later.

It's too bad Samarkand doesn't sell equipment anymore. The MDF club set was a perfect first set for me and cheap as hell.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

GoBob posted:

It looks like YMI's shipping is ~$40. I've only ever used their free shipping, since my order was over $125.

This set from Shodan Imports would probably be a good choice for a first board. No idea on how much shipping is, though. Spend as little as possible on your first board. You can always buy a better one later.

It's too bad Samarkand doesn't sell equipment anymore. The MDF club set was a perfect first set for me and cheap as hell.

No. Both amazon and YMI are charging me 140$+ for shipping alone. 40$ I'd live with.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Amazon is telling me the shipping from YMI is $37.50. Do you live outside of the US?

Just as an FYI, you can also buy directly through YMI

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

When I bought my poo poo from YMI the gave me free shipping for spending more than 120 dollars. It should not cost so much to ship that stuff.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
How do I take advantage of FREE shipping?

Place at least $125 of products in your Shopping Cart.
Checkout
Ship to an address in the United States lower 48 continental states

:(

I suppose it makes some sense because apparently the whole set weights alot so shipping across the ocean shouldn't be cheap, but 160$? Screw that. Guess I'll have to try to buy a used board locally or something...

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Prodigious probably knows the secret warehouse where all you eastern europeans get the good poo poo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

IMlemon posted:

Can't you just go into a regular shop and buy one? I know this involves going outside, but still...

Other option: look for a Go club in your vicinity, they will know where to get the good stuff.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Have you tried eBay or something? I bought my horrible set there very cheaply, and I remember seeing plenty of decent-looking ones at a fairly low price.

uXs posted:

Can't you just go into a regular shop and buy one? I know this involves going outside, but still...

Other option: look for a Go club in your vicinity, they will know where to get the good stuff.

There may not be a shop that sells go stuff or a club nearby. The nearest physical place I can buy go books is sixty miles or so away, in London, and even there the shop only had a shelf of books, no sets or anything. The nearest club is about that far as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Alternatively you can try making one! There are instructions on sensei's library and some of them aren't too difficult

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GobanSelfMade

e: if you live near a hardware store, you could probably just go in and ask them to cut you a square sheet of the correct dimensions from some kind of wood. Then buy a 1x2 or something to glue around the bottom to raise the height.

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 2, 2011