Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hypothetical one for you guys .....might we be better selling gradel now ... banking £3m... using the money to say to man city we want Bridge; Onouaha; SWP, Santa cruz on loan for a season... we will give you £100k per week for 9 months - Cost £4m with a bonus to city of say £2m if we go up. .... We can offload 3 / 4 players saving £1m. With that squad we should at least hit the play offs - full house at elland road worth £1m ... increased revenue from gate receipts at least a £1m. Net cost nil or even positive given we are going to lose max for nothing anyhow.

Could have negative effect on squad - but that could be negated by fact we are filling squad with quality that might allow us to achieve premiership & as a result their wages will catapult with promotion. City have 4 of their players in the shop window & they might be tempted to drop down a division if all 4 went at the same time. Break clause on one player each in January - City to sell ... us to offload a bad egg.

Its not even really financial poo poo of bust.. but given each year this division is going to get harder with more team on parachute payment in excess of leeds gate receipts ... maybe we really should be gambling this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SteadfastMeat posted:

Hypothetical one for you guys .....might we be better selling gradel now ... banking £3m... using the money to say to man city we want Bridge; Onouaha; SWP, Santa cruz on loan for a season... we will give you £100k per week for 9 months - Cost £4m with a bonus to city of say £2m if we go up. .... We can offload 3 / 4 players saving £1m. With that squad we should at least hit the play offs - full house at elland road worth £1m ... increased revenue from gate receipts at least a £1m. Net cost nil or even positive given we are going to lose max for nothing anyhow.

Could have negative effect on squad - but that could be negated by fact we are filling squad with quality that might allow us to achieve premiership & as a result their wages will catapult with promotion. City have 4 of their players in the shop window & they might be tempted to drop down a division if all 4 went at the same time. Break clause on one player each in January - City to sell ... us to offload a bad egg.

Its not even really financial poo poo of bust.. but given each year this division is going to get harder with more team on parachute payment in excess of leeds gate receipts ... maybe we really should be gambling this year.

This sounds...so reasonable that obviously it could never happen.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Dave Woodgate Says:
August 28th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Typical rubbishanel losing just like the previous two weeks. We may have been beaten by manchester today but we didnt have our first team out. No wonder fabregas wanted to leave rubbishnel if that is how they play i bet other players will want to leave soon like walcot and vanpersie and nastri. were already ahead of you this season and well beat you in the league at least 3 times and will finish ahead of rubbishanl. COYS

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Collapsenal is much better than rubbishanl.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The name has loving "arse" in it and that's what he chooses to replace. Astounding.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Footballingabilityisquitesparsenal

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I like the way he says it three times yet spells it differently each time, as if he's yet to settle on a name for his masterpiece.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
It should be Farcenal.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Ridsdale-earned-right-club/story-13223588-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

this article. the comments. all of it. im loving mad

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

ciderman29 posted:

As I stated in my initial comment on this story, there would be those all to willing to put a negative spin on it. It's also good to know that there are people who know what Peter Ridsdale is getting out of this financially. They must have been reading stories that I missed when on holiday.

I'm just tickled by the fact there's at least 28 other Cidermen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I got as far as the first sentence and just didn't bother reading the rest

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Last night known fascist Paolo Di Canio got a bit physical with new striker Leon Clarke, trying to drag him down the tunnel and then when he thought he was away from the public gaze he first punched Leon, then after a brief scuffle the two were separated and the player first returned to the pitch and then drove home in his kit as it was thought best that he didn't go back in the dressing room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_oEJX9BHE

How did Swindon fans react?

Swindon posted:

See matchday thread buddy. And have to disagree, Paulo must stay, at least a few more games are required before we can measure his managerial worth. I still believe!

Swindon posted:

If I was the STFC fittness coach and he was moaning at me, I'd have had a pop at the lazy oval office during the walk off the pitch at the end as well. A big chunk of humble pie will be on his breakfast menu tomorrow. If he wants to continue playing for Di Canio in SN1 he'll do well to drop the loving attitude, shut the gently caress up and start working his nuts off for the cause.

Swindon posted:

Thinking about it, maybe Di Canio is now flexing his muscles as a manager and is sending out a clear message to the squad that he will be ruthless with anyone who isn't up to scratch and that he isn't afraid to humiliate inferior/lazy players and his detractors?

Swindon posted:

This re-inforces his opinion and the fact that he wont tolerate crap from his players

Swindon posted:

I see the Witch hunt begins from the Anti Di Canio brigade

Swindon posted:

Clarke was very out of order and should be fined hugely or shown the door, no excuses from him, PdC should just say a public apology for causing a smal amount of humiliation to the club, yes it is small

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

quote:

Whilst we did some big deals there was also some smaller perhaps very important deals going on today as well. For more read here;
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/i-m-so-excited-to-be-a-red
The one I am most interested in is Bijev, due to the fact that he has already been loaned out to fortuna dusseldorf (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14365319.stm) and is already in the U-18 American side. As an American if he comes to fruition and plays for us and his country it could do wonders for our revenue. Obviously chances are low with all players that come through the football system but if he does become a star we may have signed a player that could create millions of dollars of revenue from the United States. Increasing our fanbase is the only way we can maintain pace with the worlds best clubs, and those this is a long shot it could help tremendously.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
Just need Ji Dongwon to turn into a superstar and the resultant shirt sales/merchandise deals etc in Korea will turn us into a Top 4 club IMHO.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

As always the Sunday papers make interesting reading. Two particular articles caught my eye.

The first is an article about Luke Johnson’s forthcoming book ‘Start it up, Why running your own business is easier than you think’ and the second set of articles are about Apple and Steve Jobs.

What do they have in common?

The first extract from Luke Johnson’s book spends a lot of time saying how much he learnt from the things that failed, the things that went wrong.

Yes of course you learn from the good times but the failures teach you far more lessons.

As for Apple, a Company that recently overtook Exxon as the World’s biggest company and a company that is coming to terms with having to move on without its outstanding Chief Executive at the helm; in 1985, the same Steve Jobs was ousted from Apple in favour of John Sculley, an ex PepsiCo executive whom Steve Jobs himself had brought in to help him.

In the United Kingdom we vilify failure; we destroy not only people’s careers but also people’s lives if they are perceived to have made mistakes or failed. Recent examples are, Andy Hornsby at HBOS, Sir Fred Goodwin at RBS, Tony Hayward at BP and many many more.

What these individuals have in common is an outstanding background in business that got them to the very top of their professions before failure suddenly made them supposed lepers in the eyes of many. The remarkable thing about most so called failures is that they are often in big companies with the great and the good alongside them on their Boards but who magically disappear into anonymity when the brickbats start flying and people start the witch hunt for scapegoats.

In the United States it would be recognised that the skills that got people to the top in the first place can be enhanced with the lessons learned from failure. In the UK we just set out to destroy individuals. I myself have suffered for years from the perceived problems at Leeds United, many of these problems exacerbated or even initiated long after I had left but problems laid firmly at my door, quickly glossing over the outstanding five years on the field during my Chairmanship and casting a shadow over the lessons learnt and successfully put into practice in subsequent years.

Could Steve Jobs have succeeded if he had been a Chief Executive in the UK, being ousted from such a high profile business and so publicly sidelined? I doubt it!

So what are the implications?

Depressingly, I was told very recently by a senior executive in a local authority that they wouldn’t do anything that was vaguely entrepreneurial because their pension was more important than being seen to help. We risk breeding a society of people who are paid to stop people doing things or prefer to say no to every request because it makes for a quiet life. In a time of recession with rising unemployment, I would suggest that what this Country needs now is a ‘can do attitude’ rather than more and more box tickers whose only real power base is to say NO!

I have only met Luke Johnson once but he impressed me with his genuine desire to try things out, give new opportunities a chance and to encourage managed risk. His business career reflects that. Such attitudes appear to be rare in this Country. Regrettably I’ve never met Steve Jobs but I would love to. What I would love even more is to see the type of business culture and environment that is taken for granted in the US, encouraged and accepted by our Government and media alike, at a time when this Country needs it the most.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
@Nanas08
Samir Nasri Official
I want a wish happy birthday to the best father in the world happy birthday daddy

DanielCross11 Daniel Cross
@
@Nanas08 what was his present? Money, we all know you have enough of that #monetgrabbingtwat
4 hours ago

apensiveman Graeme Campbell
@
@Nanas08 Gay as gently caress, m8.
4 hours ago
»

APMUFC Alex Purvis
@
@Nanas08 when are you going to grow a set?! ?! #gayasfuckNasri

etcetc

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Kristian Walsh posted:

I’ve likened his playing style before to watching the Minotaur perform Swan Lake, floating with grace before driving with pugnacity, tenacity, skill and strength; not so. Unlike the Minotaur, Suarez would have weaved through the Labyrinth in his trademark style, slain Theseus and become King of Athens.

When you Combine this with the comparison of Carroll to an elegant centaur, we're going to have quite a collection of graceful mythical creatures in the side.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Strawman posted:

When you Combine this with the comparison of Carroll to an elegant centaur, we're going to have quite a collection of graceful mythical creatures in the side.

kristian walsh is really annoying and clearly thinks of himself as an intellectual and most of his writing is nauseating

plus he's got a fuckin weird head

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Chuggo posted:

kristian walsh is really annoying and clearly thinks of himself as an intellectual and most of his writing is nauseating

plus he's got a fuckin weird head

FLJ...

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Neil6017 posted:

So the scouse loving super nerds think that Billy beanne & his money ball rubbish is a good idea. Its so good , look at Oakland ! You boys have been reading that soccernomics crap to much. The Frenchmen did not last long at spurs, if he had stayed the would have gone down. As soon as he left & they got a real manager they got rid of his rubbish player & shot up the league. Football is played on grass not paper & by men not uni math specky geeks.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
You're meant to copy bad things not posts that are completely correct

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

Pillbug

BunnyX posted:

so you think spurs would honestly have been relegated with comolli and that "uni math specky geeks" have no place in sports?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

The Collector posted:

"uni math specky geeks" have no place in sports?

this is entirely correct

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

Pillbug
all I know is comolli signed BAE, Dawson,Berbatov, Bale, Modric aka Spurs' best players. and harry signed who:niko krancar, wilson palacios and peter crouch?
triffic.
The only mistake comolli ever made was hiring ramos, and even then he signed most of the players that pulled them out of the relegation zone.

Good old fashioned MAN Harry Redknapp has only managed to relegate and bankrupt his two previous clubs. But sure, whatever, football needs more redknapps and less comollis.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

SteadfastMeat posted:

this is entirely correct

uni math speccy geeks just need more time. look at arsene wenger

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

The Collector posted:

all I know is comolli signed BAE, Dawson,Berbatov, Bale, Modric aka Spurs' best players. and harry signed who:niko krancar, wilson palacios and peter crouch?
triffic.
The only mistake comolli ever made was hiring ramos, and even then he signed most of the players that pulled them out of the relegation zone.

Good old fashioned MAN Harry Redknapp has only managed to relegate and bankrupt his two previous clubs. But sure, whatever, football needs more redknapps and less comollis.

does comolli use 'moneyball'/'soccernomics' style methods? or is he just good at identifying talented footballers? apart from the one sentence you're focusing on, which is bollocks, the attack on 'soccernomics' poo poo is entirely correct

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

Pillbug

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

does comolli use 'moneyball'/'soccernomics' style methods? or is he just good at identifying talented footballers? apart from the one sentence you're focusing on, which is bollocks, the attack on 'soccernomics' poo poo is entirely correct

Comolli uses moneyball/soccernomics methods along with traditional player scouting tools

However, I have to admit that I don't quite understand your argument. Are you saying that even though comolli attributes much of his success in identifying players to his use of statistical analysis and uses statistical analysis extensively that he only succeeds in identifying talented players in spite of his soccernomics approach and that his use of "soccernomics poo poo" doesn't actually help him in anyway?

Damien Comolli posted:

"When you find yourself handling three of the biggest transfers in English football history in the last days of the market, precise figures allow you not to do that blind,
" you have to act quickly. For Luis, I asked scouts to make inquiries in Holland.

"I looked at his stats over the last three years - especially the number of matches played. We are going in the right direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play.

"With Luis, we took account of the number of decisive passes, his performances against the big teams, against the little ones, in Europe, the difference between his goals scored at home and away.

It's not about stats vs conventional knowledge, it's about mixing stats and conventional knowledge, which is something comolli seems to be doing well.

The mistake that all the anti-stats bashers make, is that they look at Oakland's dropoff as an indictment of Moneyball, when in fact it was/is a validation. Oakland stopped outperforming when the big money teams started using their methods as well.

Now I think that people get carried away with the use of stats in all sports nowadays, and try to use them as some sort of magic wand that will take all of the guesswork out of player signings and development, but to just dismiss their usefulness is, IMO, short sighted and foolish.

King Scouser
Jan 12, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

BunnyX posted:

You're wrong. The key phrase in the excerpt was "real manager." Don't be daft. You're highly underestimating the effect a manager has on the team.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
SHUT

THE

gently caress

UP

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

The Collector posted:

The mistake that all the anti-stats bashers make, is that they look at Oakland's dropoff as an indictment of Moneyball, when in fact it was/is a validation. Oakland stopped outperforming when the big money teams started using their methods as well.

I don't even know who Oakland are. Stats aren't useful in football to even the standard of most US sports let alone one like baseball where you can explain basically the whole sport through them. Any individual stat from goals scored right down to pass completion, ground covered, zonal coverage etc etc etc - any stat - is partially related to the specific team they're playing in. If Arsenal change half their team in the off-season, we've no idea whether any of Robin van Persie's stats stay constant. A striker scoring a goal every two games for Arsenal doesn't mean he'll score at a similar clip for Liverpool. A team could add a full 10% to their pass completion and create far less chances. A team of players that stand out in OPTA bullshit as Covering The Most Ground could be doing so because they're poo poo and always chasing the game, getting no possession. None of them mean anything unless you watch the games they come from, in which case you don't need to know whether they've 47 or 48% cross completion

Even the advanced stats that quality football teams have access to are of very dubious value - Peter Schmeichel famously topped all the ground covered charts for goalkeepers by miles by spending one game jogging around his penalty box when the ball was up the other end, just to make a point to his coaching staff who he felt put too much faith in them.

King Scouser
Jan 12, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

I don't even know who Oakland are. Stats aren't useful in football to even the standard of most US sports let alone one like baseball where you can explain basically the whole sport through them. Any individual stat from goals scored right down to pass completion, ground covered, zonal coverage etc etc etc - any stat - is partially related to the specific team they're playing in. If Arsenal change half their team in the off-season, we've no idea whether any of Robin van Persie's stats stay constant. A striker scoring a goal every two games for Arsenal doesn't mean he'll score at a similar clip for Liverpool. A team could add a full 10% to their pass completion and create far less chances. A team of players that stand out in OPTA bullshit as Covering The Most Ground could be doing so because they're poo poo and always chasing the game, getting no possession. None of them mean anything unless you watch the games they come from, in which case you don't need to know whether they've 47 or 48% cross completion

Even the advanced stats that quality football teams have access to are of very dubious value - Peter Schmeichel famously topped all the ground covered charts for goalkeepers by miles by spending one game jogging around his penalty box when the ball was up the other end, just to make a point to his coaching staff who he felt put too much faith in them.
I feel you're making a very obvious point here. No one is saying that you should ONLY pay attention to stats or ONLY to some other criterion. It obviously requires a mixture of many different criteria to come up with the best result. Comolli obviously uses statistics, but he doesn't solely rely on them as you are trying to insinuate. I am sure he also gives weight to various other factors. I feel as if you're just trying to create an argument where there really isn't one.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
would it be a bit too meta to nominate posts from this thread FOR this thread?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

lol americans posted:

The guessing game begins anew as the Premier League prepares to raise the curtain: Will it be new boys Norwich, or struggling Wigan? Can Swansea stay up or will they be forced right back down the ladder?

Every season, the final three teams at the foot of the Premier League table are sent down to the second division. They in turn are replaced by the top three teams from the Football Championship. It’s a system called “promotion and relegation,” and there’s nothing close to it in American sport. It's as if the winners of the Bowl Championship Series got to replace the Cleveland Browns or your local high school champions got to displace Syracuse.

Fans love it because it gives even lousy teams something to fight for. TV programmers love it, too. It gives dead teams meaningful games. Those second division clubs love it as well because each year, they imagine they can be the ones going up. And, fair enough, in a simpler time before massive wages and transfers, before the need for big, expensive stadiums and infrastructure, and before the games became the world’s entertainment, it was fine enough.

Today, it’s killing the sport.

Relegation functions like a lottery. It rewards teams in lower divisions who go on spending binges and punishes top-tier teams that act with restraint. Clubs are now being forced to choose between building a stadium or buying players; between gambling on a quick jump to the top - and the massive payout, estimated at $150 million that awaits them - or slowly developing talent and risking falling off the radar.

The system has contributed to an already out of control wage and transfer market that has even the most successful clubs bleeding revenue. Now, with more foreign ownership coming into the sport - and a lot of longing looks at the wildly successful leagues in the United States - there is an urge to do something about it.

In comparison to the free-for-all that is world soccer, American sports owners have it relatively easy. They have a system with salary caps, get generous subsidies from cities to build stadiums, and no matter how few games they win aren’t at risk of getting kicked out of the NFL. The best owners use that stability to build solid teams and as a result, in every sport save one, the USA boasts the best professional sports leagues in the world.

In comparison, a club that has to spend money to replace a stadium in England or Italy - and thus cannot afford what has become a hothouse transfer market - might find themselves suddenly unable to compete. Major clubs across the globe have suffered: River Plate, one of the biggest clubs in Argentina just went down for the first time in its history and will take a massive financial hit. In recent years, clubs as storied as Portsmouth, Southampton, Leeds United, Nottingham Forest and Cardiff have all struggled to survive in the depths.

While the Premier League tries to soften the blow for relegated teams by handing out so-called “parachute payments” - the three teams share about $80 million over four years - the upfront costs remain staggering. This season, Blackpool, West Ham and Birmingham can expect to lose around $48 million each - a figure that increases each year as the parachute payments are withdrawn to around $70 million per season. Many teams barely survive the revenue losses and some argue that the parachute payments actually make the pain worse over the long term bay masking the financial problems.

Last year’s relegated teams are indeed in trouble. West Ham’s owners said last season that their books were among “the worst in English football;” Birmingham are currently holding a fire sale of their players in an effort just to keep the doors open. Blackpool is the best of the three but has still had to sell off some of its key players. These clubs are not outliers - they’ve become commonplace casualties of an antique system.

It’s not just about money. The modern Premier League brings a club worldwide visibility, with some 600 million people in over 200 countries watching the games each weekend. That brings sponsors, investors and better players - all of whom want a share in the spotlight. Without that spotlight, there’s no incentive for stakeholders at many levels to get involved. And the dirty secret of minor-league sports is this: They never can make the leap to the big-time.

Think of it this way: Would you rather watch the Peoria Chiefs, or the Chicago Cubs? You know the answer if you live outside of Peoria’s city limits. The same holds true for every major sport across the world. Like it or not, some of the small clubs are never going to be big-time no matter what division they are in. It makes a lot more sense to play the sport in places where the fans are - not where one wishes the fans were.

The solution is obvious: Eliminate promotion and relegation and create a fixed league. Argentina was moving to do just that with a radical rethinking of their league structure that would create a single tier divided along geographic lines. If it sounds familiar, well, it should: It’s modeled, in part, on how the NFL divides up its conferences and divisions.

Yes, there’s no denying the thrills of watching a team claw for survival. It’s a grim fun, but a visceral one. That doesn’t mean it’s the best thing for the sport. Right now, a lot of money and time that could be spent on developing domestic talent is being tossed away on overseas long-shots. Facilities are falling into disrepair and communities - and the businesses that depend on football for survival - are being whipsawed on a yearly basis.

And whether or not the fans like it, the abandonment of promotion and relegation is coming sooner than later. A European Superleague, breaking free of FIFA’s incompetence and UEFA’s oversight, is already on the horizon. With it will come a salary cap, player unions, “cost certainty” - and some of the greatest soccer in the world.

See, soccer fans overseas may hate to admit it, but Americans know a lot about running successful sports leagues. And they’re buying into the leagues. Sooner than you think, that Premier League will look a lot like the NFL. And it will be better for it.

From here

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Sounds about right. I mean who doesn't love American Sports?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That's incredible.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Clubs as storied as Cardiff.

Turtle Soup
Mar 6, 2006

in the San Siro
I'd like to see his complete list of professional sports:

baseball, basketball, ice hockey, american football, soccer END

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Best in the world :911:

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
The best part is how people who probably don't even watch football are probably nodding with agreement with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

8raz posted:

The best part is how people who probably don't even watch football are probably nodding with agreement with it.

Well yeah, the system in football probably seems as alien to them as the American system seems to people who don't watch their sports.