Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Affi posted:

it is the best

Dunk is like really loving awesome and he's a very real character. I think my favorite thing about him is that he's like this really honorable knight but he's just not good with a lance and not that great with a sword either and circumstances conspire to make sure he always kills people in the most thuggish ways conceivable.

I like how it's sort of a reverse Batman/Robin dynamic in that the Batman never really knows what the hell is going on and has to rely on instincts and what his Robin, the knowledgeable, organized one with a rich and powerful alter ego, tells him.

Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The second D&E story has a loving Disney ending and I could not loving believe it when I was loving reading it gently caress. And the rest of the story was mostly dull as well, it helped to flesh out small-scale Westeros and that's about it.

The first and especially the third one, however, are quite good. Just pretend the protagonist is an alien visiting the world of ASoIaF.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

NihilCredo posted:

The second D&E story has a loving Disney ending and I could not loving believe it when I was loving reading it gently caress. And the rest of the story was mostly dull as well, it helped to flesh out small-scale Westeros and that's about it.

The first and especially the third one, however, are quite good. Just pretend the protagonist is an alien visiting the world of ASoIaF.

Disney ending? You mean he gets stabbed in a river and doesn't get the girl?

Number three had the really stupid character Fiddle who pretty much from the start was screaming at the top of his lungs; "HEY GUYS IM REALLY loving GAY AND WANT TO SLAM MY PENIS INTO DUNKS GAPING rear end"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Affi posted:

Disney ending? You mean he gets stabbed in a river and doesn't get the girl?

No, I mean that two characters who had a perfectly reasonable conflict and plenty of ground to resent each other suddenly find out that they were ACTUALLY IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER so they magically decide to GET MARRIED and EVERYBODY LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER IN THE LAND OF PONIES.

Most importantly, all of this happens OFF THE MOTHERFUCKING SCREEN so Gurm doesn't even make the smallest effort at hiding how utterly and completely ridiculous that twist is.

Also, the protagonist gets offered a perfectly sensible and entirely deserved reward but he turns it down even though he's piss-poor and there is no possible harm in accepting. But by that point I had come to terms with the fact that Dunk just isn't a real character.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Martin Van Buren posted:

I like how it's sort of a reverse Batman/Robin dynamic in that the Batman never really knows what the hell is going on and has to rely on instincts and what his Robin, the knowledgeable, organized one with a rich and powerful alter ego, tells him.

Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense and I never thought about it that way but yeah that's sort of why the stories are so fun.

Plus knowing that Egg is eventually crowned King and Dunk becomes leader of the Kingsguard makes the whole thing pretty cool. We already KNOW where the characters are ending up, so the fact that their journeys don't really go anywhere is okay.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

NihilCredo posted:

No, I mean that two characters who had a perfectly reasonable conflict and plenty of ground to resent each other suddenly find out that they were ACTUALLY IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER so they magically decide to GET MARRIED and EVERYBODY LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER IN THE LAND OF PONIES.

Most importantly, all of this happens OFF THE MOTHERFUCKING SCREEN so Gurm doesn't even make the smallest effort at hiding how utterly and completely ridiculous that twist is.

Also, the protagonist gets offered a perfectly sensible and entirely deserved reward but he turns it down even though he's piss-poor and there is no possible harm in accepting. But by that point I had come to terms with the fact that Dunk just isn't a real character.

I thought it was refreshing to see a little innocent romance and true chivalry in Grrm-world, where the only couplings that seem to happen consistently are rapes, statutory rapes, or consensual sex under the guise of rape. Anyway the resentment they felt for each other in the beginning came after an initial attraction, and was based on miscommunication, iirc, so it wasn't totally out of nowhere.

EDIT: Ah misread your post, didn't realize you were referring to Osgrey and the Widow. Actually I totally forgot that happened. Yeah that was weird.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 2, 2011

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Martin Van Buren posted:

Ahem its kinda obvious that Quaithe is Dany from the future, just as Jaqen H'gar is Arya from the future and Yezzan zo Qaggaz is grrm sent through an interdimensional rift.

What the gently caress are you talking about, Illyrio is clearly Gurm.

Illyrio will be riding Hodor. ALL NIGHT LONG.

HODOR HODOR HODOR HOOOOOOODOORRRRRRRRRRR *splut*

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mad Hamish posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, Illyrio is clearly Gurm.

As revealed through Bran in book six Gurm is the Great Other and has literally written the world into existence through his song of ice and fire.

The dragon girl poo poo her way across the plains, and the dwarf followed.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

So...uh...Amazon is telling me that the Dunk and Egg stories, specifically "The Hedge Knight" is worth somewhere between $75 to $177. Could someone point me in a more affordable direction?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
It's because they haven't reprinted them so people can get away with selling for shitloads of money. I think they're in some of the anthologies that the GRRM has edited, though.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
PDFs of all three are available on Scribd. Good website for short stories.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Martin Van Buren posted:

PDFs of all three are available on Scribd. Good website for short stories.

First of all I can't find them there, and secondly isn't scribd :filez:?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

So...uh...Amazon is telling me that the Dunk and Egg stories, specifically "The Hedge Knight" is worth somewhere between $75 to $177. Could someone point me in a more affordable direction?

That'll be the Graphic novel. I don't think they've ever been published as separate novellas, although I might be wrong.

Look for Legends, Legends 2 and Warriors.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I'm sure someone has thought about this, but I'm thinking about the "stone" dragon in the prophecy. Stone is a bastard's name. Bastards are pretty important. Is it possible that that's what it refers to? Like maybe something to do with Mya Stone or something?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm like 800 pages behind in this thread since I was avoiding it like the plague until I finished the books, but for people looking for a cyvasse equivalent, it reminds me a whole, whole lot of an old board game from Avalon Hill called Feudal. I have no idea how hard it is to get a copy of now, but it was a really good game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudal_%28game%29

e: apparently I misspelled a make believe term

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 2, 2011

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kekekela posted:

I'm like 800 pages behind in this thread since I was avoiding it like the plague until I finished the books, but for people looking for a cevasse equivalent, it reminds me a whole, whole lot of an old board game from Avalon Hill called Feudal. I have no idea how hard it is to get a copy of now, but it was a really good game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudal_%28game%29

cYvasse

I swear every chapter mentions it at least once. Last night I read that Tyrion pondered teaching cyvasse to the dwarf girl.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

I'm sure someone has thought about this, but I'm thinking about the "stone" dragon in the prophecy. Stone is a bastard's name. Bastards are pretty important. Is it possible that that's what it refers to? Like maybe something to do with Mya Stone or something?

Mya is Robert's bastard so she'd be a 'stone stag' if anything. I hope to god there aren't more Secret Targs stashed away in the Vale.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

cYvasse

I swear every chapter mentions it at least once. Last night I read that Tyrion pondered teaching cyvasse to the dwarf girl.

I guess the multiple italicized/cRazyCappEd versions are just to drill home that I misspelled the make believe board game?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Kekekela posted:

I guess the multiple italicized/cRazyCappEd versions are just to drill home that I misspelled the make believe board game?

Looks that way, yeah.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

xamphear posted:

Looks that way, yeah.

Cool, probably cleared up a lot of confusion as to what I was referencing.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Please spell all ridiculous make believe terms correctly or you might confuse people who wander into this thread and haven't read the books

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Fog Tripper posted:

cYvasse

This infuriated me to no end. It felt like the game was just invented in the past year too, because it was not in the first three books. But then suddenly it's in every other chapter?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

Please spell all ridiculous make believe terms correctly or you might confuse people who wander into this thread and haven't read the books

Here is a helpful summary for those folks:

Book 1 Ned Stark dies Book 2 A cock Book 3 Robb Stark dies Book 4 skip Book 5 skip

I am re-reading book 1 now and am enjoying the initial chapters a lot more than I did during my first read-thru. It helps a lot knowing who all these people are that keep getting referenced. The first time there was a lot of looking up stuff in the back to remember or find out who this person was and how (s)he related to the character mentioning him/her.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Slowpoke! posted:

This infuriated me to no end. It felt like the game was just invented in the past year too, because it was not in the first three books. But then suddenly it's in every other chapter?
Maybe part of the HBO deal was that GRRM had to make up a game for them to sell to people in real life.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

This infuriated me to no end. It felt like the game was just invented in the past year too, because it was not in the first three books.
It was. Or rather, it was only recently imported to Westeros - enough so that Myrcella didn't play it in King's Landing, at least:

AFFC posted:

Cyvasse, the game was called. It had come to the Planky Town on a trading galley from Volantis, and the orphans had spread it up and down the
Greenblood. The Dornish court was mad for it.
Ser Arys just found it maddening. There were ten different pieces, each with its own attributes and powers, and the board would change from game to game, depending on how the players arrayed their home squares. Prince Trystane had taken to the game at once, and Myrcella had learned it so she could play with him.
Of course, this makes you wonder when Tyrion got the time to learn it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Well they aren't getting married because they love each other, they are getting married because they are both desperate: she is marrying him because he is old(and will probably die soon enough), easily manipulable and she won't have to marry anyone else and lose her independence. He is marrying her because it saves his lineage from extinction and gives him back some of his family's old land. Hardly love, specially since she wants Dunk to stay.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Tyrion asked "Where do hos go?"

The answer is "In through the Hodor."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Well they aren't getting married because they love each other, they are getting married because they are both desperate: she is marrying him because he is old(and will probably die soon enough), easily manipulable and she won't have to marry anyone else and lose her independence. He is marrying her because it saves his lineage from extinction and gives him back some of his family's old land. Hardly love, specially since she wants Dunk to stay.

No, this is what we were told (by a third party, but a honest one, and later one of those directly involved has the chance to give a different version and doesn't): "Coldmoat and Standfast were reconciled after your battle. Lady Rohanne begged leave of old Ser Eustace to cross his land and visit Addam’s grave, and he granted her that right. She knelt before the blackberries and began to weep, and he was so moved that he went to comfort her. They spent the whole night talking of young Addam and my lady’s noble father. Lord Wyman and Ser Eustace were fast friends, until the Blackfyre Rebellion. His lordship and my lady were wed this morning, by our good Septon Sefton. Eustace Osgrey is the lord of Coldmoat, and his chequy lion flies beside the Webber spider on every tower and wall.” If that is a plausible turn of events for those two characters then I'm the Pope.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

No, this is what we were told (by a third party, but a honest one, and later one of those directly involved has the chance to give a different version and doesn't): "Coldmoat and Standfast were reconciled after your battle. Lady Rohanne begged leave of old Ser Eustace to cross his land and visit Addam’s grave, and he granted her that right. She knelt before the blackberries and began to weep, and he was so moved that he went to comfort her. They spent the whole night talking of young Addam and my lady’s noble father. Lord Wyman and Ser Eustace were fast friends, until the Blackfyre Rebellion. His lordship and my lady were wed this morning, by our good Septon Sefton. Eustace Osgrey is the lord of Coldmoat, and his chequy lion flies beside the Webber spider on every tower and wall.” If that is a plausible turn of events for those two characters then I'm the Pope.
I have no doubt it's the story they tell everyone but i doubt it's the whole truth since she wants Dunk to stay and i doubt it's only for his fighting abilities. The minute Wyman and Eustace reconciled after the river problem, they probably saw that their mutual interest was in marrying each other. Lords and ladies rarely marry for love. And it would be what? Love at 897th sight?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Slowpoke! posted:

That's kind of how I saw it. Being shoved down our throat as often as possible. Italicized, because it needs to be.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I abhor the prospect of a real-life cyvasse game only because it gives GRRM yet another endeavor to waste his time on other than writing the next book.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ross posted:

I abhor the prospect of a real-life cyvasse game only because it gives GRRM yet another endeavor to waste his time on other than writing the next book.

I, for one, can not wait for my late, water damaged copy of Cyvasse: A Game of Ice and Fire, signed in pure pizza sauce by the GRRM himself.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Devorum posted:

I, for one, can not wait for my late, water damaged copy of Cyvasse: A Game of Ice and Fire, signed in pure pizza sauce by the GRRM himself.

I suppose that grrm owns the rights to the name. Would be fun to beat him to the punch and market it ourselves.

Perhaps if we name it Cyvasse, but do not italicize it.

edit https://www.cyvasse.com is available

Bah:

Registrant:
Jose Antonio Sanchez Berruezo
Pasaje de Sabular 3, 4o 3
Cordoba, Cordoba 14010
Spain

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: CYVASSE.COM
Created on: 08-Aug-11
Expires on: 08-Aug-12
Last Updated on: 16-Aug-11

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 2, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Am I the only person with the Wildcards tag that didnt go out and buy the book yet?

I know a lot of people said they were going to boycott, and I want to know how many people really did.

I haven't bought poo poo (paperback or nothing).

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

When listing gay characters, did everyone forget Ser Lyn Corbray?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I thought Cyvasse was a thing in the free cities, but wasn't really well known in Westeros. Tyrion, who had never been the free cities, didn't learn it until he left Westeros, or at least that's how I read it.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Haraksha posted:

I thought Cyvasse was a thing in the free cities, but wasn't really well known in Westeros. Tyrion, who had never been the free cities, didn't learn it until he left Westeros, or at least that's how I read it.

They were playing it in Dorne in FFC, but it could be only there and not the rest of the Seven Kingdoms.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Raserys posted:

Also, :wtc: is up with Varys's creepy murder children?

They're his "little birds"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Iggles posted:

When listing gay characters, did everyone forget Ser Lyn Corbray?

Yeah. I forgot about him too until I got to that part of Feast For Crows a couple days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
And don't forget the Bear Island women, theres no way warrior women are not Possible Lesbians

(sarcasm by the way)