Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But they're going to sell like loving hot cakes no matter what. :smith:

Honestly, I've heard a lot of people canceled their pre-orders and just downloaded the videos from :filez: sites. I know it's anecdotal, but I really think they won't sell well.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly, I've heard a lot of people canceled their pre-orders and just downloaded the videos from :files: sites. I know it's anecdotal, but I really think they won't sell well.

The 501st should position themselves at Best Buys across the nation and inform people to move along.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The best thing about the Blu-Rays for me will be the huge amount of extras. I'm fine watching the DVDs of the movies until a high-def fan edit comes out that removes the NO.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The best thing about the Blu-Rays for me will be the huge amount of extras. I'm fine watching the DVDs of the movies until a high-def fan edit comes out that removes the NO.

I can see the appeal for some people of extras, but I've heard enough about Star Wards, I don't need to see more of Lucas' dumb face and neck waddle going on about how awesome he is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly, I've heard a lot of people canceled their pre-orders and just downloaded the videos from :filez: sites. I know it's anecdotal, but I really think they won't sell well.

You honestly think a couple of angry Star Wars nerds on a forum are going to be indicative of the overall buying trend? 99.9% of people out there really give no poo poo whatsoever that Darth Vader says "No!" where he used to say nothing. The vast majority of people buying these DVDs are going to either be fans that buy it because it's Star Wars on Blu-Ray so of course they will or everyday Joe who hasn't seen Star Wars since he saw the Special Editions in theaters or bought the DVDs in 2004 and he has no idea there are even additional changes and still won't after watching them.

They are going to sell very, very well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah considering the Special Edition and then subsequently the DVDs sold like hotcakes I really don't know why you'd think they won't sell. The internet showing a lot of interest or lack of interest in something is the worst metric for measuring sales because people on the internet launch into hyperbole too easy.

How often do we see a new video game get announced to have changes "the community" hates and they all cancel their preorders, and yet the game still sells like crazy, many of those sales being the same who were protesting the changes to begin with (Modern Warfare 2 being the most high profile example of this).

The sad fact is George continues to do this because it's been proven not enough people care, and I mean it's cool and all to say you won't buy it, I believe many in this thread won't since many didn't buy the DVDs, or waited for the original releases on DVD, but acting like you represent some larger force is going a bit far.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah considering the Special Edition and then subsequently the DVDs sold like hotcakes I really don't know why you'd think they won't sell. The internet showing a lot of interest or lack of interest in something is the worst metric for measuring sales because people on the internet launch into hyperbole too easy.

How often do we see a new video game get announced to have changes "the community" hates and they all cancel their preorders, and yet the game still sells like crazy, many of those sales being the same who were protesting the changes to begin with (Modern Warfare 2 being the most high profile example of this).

The sad fact is George continues to do this because it's been proven not enough people care, and I mean it's cool and all to say you won't buy it, I believe many in this thread won't since many didn't buy the DVDs, or waited for the original releases on DVD, but acting like you represent some larger force is going a bit far.

This is a great point.

Many of us won't buy it. True. Many of us who say we're not going to buy it probably will at some point anyway (because we're weak-willed manchildren). And even more of us who say we won't buy it will probably :filez: it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not to be a puritan or anything but should we reel in the :filez: talk a bit? I think we all know what's going to happen but we're getting really close to outright saying "gently caress george I just torrented this" and it's probably not the direction we wanna take this thread.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not to be a puritan or anything but should we reel in the :filez: talk a bit? I think we all know what's going to happen but we're getting really close to outright saying "gently caress george I just torrented this" and it's probably not the direction we wanna take this thread.

Discussing piracy isn't against the rules - urging people to pirate something and asking/posting links is...

From the forum rules:

Rules posted:

No warez. No warez, no cracks, no CD codes, no illegal programs that are used to either crack software or perform any malicious activity. Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/forum-rules/forum-rules.php?page=2

That bolded line is the nearest we'd approach, with the leaks out of China showing up on TFN and other forums. But again - no one here is posting links or urging people to illegally obtain this content.

And in fact - many of the fan edits and HD editions that are being discussed are technically piracy. Lucasfilm has always somewhat turned a blind eye to the community when it comes to fan films, fan edits, etc.

For the record, I'm not condoning piracy or urging people to do it, I'm just saying we all know some people are going to do that, it's inevitable.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I will just choose to believe he's not saying NOOOOOOOOOOOO, instead just having an internal conversation with himself that we can hear

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WhyteRyce posted:

I will just choose to believe he's not saying NOOOOOOOOOOOO, instead just having an internal conversation with himself that we can hear
We could apply that to any other scene where he's not speaking. "I think I'll have... ham in my sandwich this lunchtime. Yes. Ham." All in James Earl Jones's voice.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk#t=2m8s

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Absolute shame that this won't be on the Blu-rays.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Joe Don Baker and I are going to have a Star Wars Blu-Ray party. The plan is to have a bunch of people over and watch both the Blu-Ray and original theatrical DVD's at the same time on two different TVs and try to spot the differences.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
But won't they be different lengths due to added scenes in the Special Editions?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I read something about Liam Nielson and Frank Oz filming additional stuff for the Blu Ray edition prequels.

If you had to choose - leaving things like the special editions left them - or accepting Darth Vader screaming "Noooooooo" while also letting Han shoot first - which would it be? (you get the worst of both options in reality - just saying)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

I read something about Liam Nielson and Frank Oz filming additional stuff for the Blu Ray edition prequels.

I know there were big rumors that Qui-Gon's Force ghost scene in ROTS is going to be put back in, but have no idea if they're true or not.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

If you had to choose - leaving things like the special editions left them - or accepting Darth Vader screaming "Noooooooo" while also letting Han shoot first - which would it be? (you get the worst of both options in reality - just saying)

As they left them. The Han shoots first thing didn't bother me as much as other people, as retarded as it was. The "Nooooo" really ruins one of my favorite scenes because Prowse's body language in that suit is really top notch.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

WhyteRyce posted:

I will just choose to believe he never says anything aloud and it's all internal conversations. He just stands there and pantomimes at his underlings, and they do their best to guess because if they don't they they get the Force Choke.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Worst NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:
1) Vader ROTS
2) Vader Blu-Ray ROTJ
3) Qui-Gon AOTS

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The wasted opportunity is that the BluRay technology could've been used to have all thirty four versions of the movies running simeltaneously and be able to swap back and forth between them with your remote as you're watching...

But

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I've almost forgotten what the original Emperor hologram was like in ESB. Different voice actor too right? Maybe even different actor?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I've almost forgotten what the original Emperor hologram was like in ESB. Different voice actor too right? Maybe even different actor?

Definitely a different actor. Not sure if a different guy did the voice or not.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

Definitely a different actor. Not sure if a different guy did the voice or not.

Completely different actor, voice and make-up:

That's Clive Revill. Changing him to Ian McDiarmid is one of the few understandable changes, although it wasn't desperately needed.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Crackerman posted:

That's Clive Revill. Changing him to Ian McDiarmid is one of the few understandable changes, although it wasn't desperately needed.

I think the eyes were actually a monkey.

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU

Crackerman posted:

Wasn't it a female with chimpanzee eyes?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Despite being a complete Star Wars nut when I was a kid (I was ten when Star Wars was released) I've never owned a copy of any of the movies, on any format. I've rented DVDs but that's it.

I will probably buy the Blu-Ray collection when I finally upgrade my home A/V to modern standards even though George can't stop loving with them. I dislike most of the changes he's made but I can see past them, particularly with Star Wars which will always be my favorite.

I saw alot of promotional material before the movie came out in 1977 and my mind was already filled with the fantastic imagery of plastic armored stormtroopers and golden, dirty robots wandering in the desert. I'd read the book a few times, the edition that had an insert with stills from the movie. It's nice to be able to summon that feeling up again of how new it all was compared to everything that had come before.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

50 Cent Bulletproof posted:

Wasn't it a female with chimpanzee eyes?

I'm pretty sure it was Clive Revill under there, if you look at his normal face there is enough of a similarity but I could be wrong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Crackerman posted:

I think it was a decent change, but the clarity of the updated image alongside the really poor makeup job on the Emperor really took away from it. When I was a kid (and probably now) I actually really liked " shadowy and deformed" vs "creepy old man" for the Emperor's direction.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, like a lot of the changes there's no subtlety to it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I still can't wrap my head around the No in ROTJ. I have no loving clue why its in there.

Our only real hope for HD Star Wars goodness is Adywan. He's been working on the Star Wars movies to make them more "authentic" and better. Here's an example of the stuff he's done:

Death Star Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKNrK53uA84

Currently working on ESB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZliwkutFwV0

This is just one guy and a computer. He already finished his Star Wars edit which was goddamn amazing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That was visually better (which says it all, doesn't it), but he put in the Imperial March as the music for a few new shots, when it never was in ANH before. Don't gently caress with the music, ever.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
His emperor revisited video is great.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

feedmyleg posted:

I think it was a decent change, but the clarity of the updated image alongside the really poor makeup job on the Emperor really took away from it. When I was a kid (and probably now) I actually really liked " shadowy and deformed" vs "creepy old man" for the Emperor's direction.

That reminds me of one of the many things that really confused me about the visuals in the prequels. I really don't understand why the emperor looks worse in RotS than he does in RotJ. With all the money being spent, they really couldn't get some decent make-up work for after Palpatine goes ugly?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I still can't wrap my head around the No in ROTJ. I have no loving clue why its in there.

Our only real hope for HD Star Wars goodness is Adywan. He's been working on the Star Wars movies to make them more "authentic" and better. Here's an example of the stuff he's done:

Death Star Comparison
drat, watching that once they got desynced was like playing Iridis Alpha (obscure references ahoy!)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

If you're into that sort of thing, look into a GOUT fan edit. There are a couple of really solid ones out there that have recreated the original OT cut and visuals, keeping some of the Special Edition changes like erasing matte lines. Hopefully someone puts out an even better one after these DVDs come out.

Someone at my work told me that the Mandarin channel of audio has no 'no'. I do not know the validity of this information but that audio change would be extremely easy to accomplish if this was the case. Otherwise I'm sure you could do some audio patchwork with another version - the DVD release or something. You could easily return the Obi Wan call to its original glory too.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ringo Star Get posted:

Death Star Comparison
While pretty good, some of the effects editing is a bit clumsy, on one level he's helping the action then on the other he's throwing in a weird "computer game" style TIE fighter entrance that's jarring with the rest.
I do understand it makes sense for a small moment to have everything get slightly confusing in order to better relate to the situation at hand; being jumped by a squad, but it doesn't really let up, making the whole sequence harder to follow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is just one guy and a computer. He already finished his Star Wars edit which was goddamn amazing.

This edit's been discussed before. I'm actually okay with his "horde of TIEs accompanied by the Imperial March" at around 3 minutes, but then he doesn't know when to stop: there's almost a solid minute of dialogue-free dogfighting that REALLY throws off the timing and feel of the whole scene.

I still think the best thing he did was fix up the colors.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone know if A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy is any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone know if A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy is any good?
It's actually pretty good. There's a couple of weak parts and a mildly Mary Sue-ish character, but overall it's actually a pretty entertaining read.