Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

That seems pretty good considering the source. I am not sure if the copper and lead is bearing material as there is no tin which there should be as the bearings are usually bronze...maybe those are copper aluminum though.

If the viscosity is low seems like there may be some blow by as well but I am not sure how much lower those values should be wr whats considered normal.

They didnt give you notes on the values?

"Engines can make a lot of metal before they fail, so these readings really aren't too scary, though this engine isn't wearing normally either"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can only imagine what my 2.2 looks like - I'll have to wait until the next oil change to take a sample off as whatever it was the previous owner had in there only nominally fit the description of "oil."

I know the pistons on the phase 2 EJ22 SOHC are moly coated, but that's all I know about the material composition of that engine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 2, 2011

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What do folks think of this?

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/2577923999.html

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

I have a 4G63 sitting in my garage half assembled that I took apart myself and had machined at a professional machine shop, and I'm even dreading putting it back together. I couldn't even imagine taking someone else's half completed or disassembled project engine and even attempt to put it back together.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

What are the major points in a 30k mile service for a WRX (2.5L)? I'm talking stuff like diff fluid, etc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

daslog posted:

those are nice but you'd be looking at a lot of work to get that in good shape and actually in the car and running. There's also not much of a point in going to a closed deck block unless you're planning on a 500whp road race build.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I found a 2004 WRX at a local dealer for $14.5k, with only about 50k miles on it. This seems like a pretty good price compared to what I've been seing in my local classifieds. I also found a 2006 WRX TR (private seller) with no mods on it for $15.5k. Are either of these a good buy? Anything to look out for? I'd like to check out the 2004 at the dealership tomorrow if possible.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd shoot for a 2.5 (eg the 06) if you can. I think the 06/07 is one of the best looking WRX models too, that's just personal preference though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh AI, tell me if I'm being too anal:
So I spent a lot of money at an extremely well regarded shop and got my timing belt done and a new koyo radiator (oooh, shiney!).
I get home and find:
the two engine cover screws (the avo intercooler replaces the clips with screws) missing
Oil way over filled by about 1 in over the hot max line
Coolant at cold at the max line and at hot near the top of the overflow (admittedly, I might expect this to drop if there's some air in the lines)

I'm really kind of ticked off over the engine cover screws. Currently held on by one pop-rivet (as the other one was lost by the last place). How does everyone lose these? I think Jamal's shop is the only shop that's done major work and actually put all 4 back on.
I dunno, that lack of attention just worries me. (Clearly i should do my own work if I want to be really anal, but I'm a mechanical simpleton)

Anyone know what size screws the avo TMIC uses?

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

I'm finding a major issue with my 2010 STI. When I put the C-Diff control into 'lock' and drive around at slow speeds, the trans locks up and shudders terribly. It feels like someone is hitting the trans with a hammer. What's going on here? Dealer time, or user error?

Also finding the car sounding like a weedwhacker after I put the intake in, but I'm assuming that's normal. I can really hear the turbo spinning up and releasing.

I'm pretty sure I'm just paranoid on the second issue, but the first has me concerned.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Flu Roo posted:

I'm finding a major issue with my 2010 STI. When I put the C-Diff control into 'lock' and drive around at slow speeds, the trans locks up and shudders terribly. It feels like someone is hitting the trans with a hammer. What's going on here? Dealer time, or user error?

Also finding the car sounding like a weedwhacker after I put the intake in, but I'm assuming that's normal. I can really hear the turbo spinning up and releasing.

I'm pretty sure I'm just paranoid on the second issue, but the first has me concerned.

you have the differential locked are are trying to make slow turns on pavement, what do you expect to happen?

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

jamal posted:

you have the differential locked are are trying to make slow turns on pavement, what do you expect to happen?

Now we're getting somewhere.

What exactly does locking the differential do? I'm a moron, no problem admitting that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Flu Roo posted:

What exactly does locking the differential do? I'm a moron, no problem admitting that.

Here is a video that explains it

http://youtu.be/K4JhruinbWc

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Flu Roo posted:

locking the diff means it won't let the front and rear wheels turn at different speeds. when you're turning the front wheels travel farther and want to turn faster than the rears. You should only fully lock the diff on slippery/loose surfaces. I think some of it is explained in the owner's manual.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Now it all makes sense. Thanks for that.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
What would I need in order to replace the Blowoff Valve in my V7 STI with a stock bypass valve? I know I need the Gasket, and the valve itself, but is there anything else?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I swapped out my gear oil for Subaru Extra S last weekend. Shifting improved greatly. The bottles I ordered to partition out my jug with were held up by the hurricane in new york so I said gently caress it and re-did it again yesterday. Shifting is even better now. Highly recommend this stuff. It feels good knowing that 30k of poo poo in the tranny is now out of there.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Tongsy posted:

What would I need in order to replace the Blowoff Valve in my V7 STI with a stock bypass valve? I know I need the Gasket, and the valve itself, but is there anything else?

It's so sad how every single person I know who has bought a used WRX/STI (save a good friend's '02 wagon) has had a freaking BOV on it.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

VolumeBroadcast posted:

It's so sad how every single person I know who has bought a used WRX/STI (save a good friend's '02 wagon) has had a freaking BOV on it.

It is literally the only thing I don't like about the car. It's also the only mod that's been done to the engine (It's an otherwise stock V7 drivetrain from engine to exhaust swapped into a 2004 wagon, there's pictures a few pages back). I can't really complain, to be honest. Not going to pass up an otherwise clean car over something so easily correctable

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Flu Roo posted:

OK thanks, I'll check it out.
And yes, I'm running Cobb stage 1 + AEM Tune map.

Have them check your wiring harness while they're farting around, it can be cut short and eventually will cause you all kinds of fun electrical gremlins like my giant pile of poo poo 2011 wrx :D

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm going to look at the 2006 WRX tomorrow morning, but was hoping for some quick advice. Sounds like the only mod he's done was having a subaru dealer install a cat-back exhaust. I did a lot of reading and think I finally understand what that means, but is there anything I should look out/listen for tomorrow problem-wise? Other than that he says its stock.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Tongsy posted:

It is literally the only thing I don't like about the car. It's also the only mod that's been done to the engine (It's an otherwise stock V7 drivetrain from engine to exhaust swapped into a 2004 wagon, there's pictures a few pages back). I can't really complain, to be honest. Not going to pass up an otherwise clean car over something so easily correctable

I wasn't calling out you purchase or anything, just commenting on how common it is to find these on GD's. Whats the mentality behind this, turbo = needs BOV?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Lung posted:

I'm going to look at the 2006 WRX tomorrow morning, but was hoping for some quick advice. Sounds like the only mod he's done was having a subaru dealer install a cat-back exhaust. I did a lot of reading and think I finally understand what that means, but is there anything I should look out/listen for tomorrow problem-wise? Other than that he says its stock.

Cat-back is a really standard, basic mod. Helps you hear that sweet exhaust note, looks better and arguably gives you (very) minor performance gains. Subaru makes their own cat-back; it's really nothing to worry about.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

kylej posted:

Cat-back is a really standard, basic mod. Helps you hear that sweet exhaust note, looks better and arguably gives you (very) minor performance gains. Subaru makes their own cat-back; it's really nothing to worry about.

Yeah thats what it seems like. Car drives really smooth, engine and the engine area look really good as well. Guy has all the maintenance records that he's done (2nd owner), and a transferrable warranty up to 90k miles. The guy seems like a pretty stand-up dude so I have some thinking to do in the next day. Only thing is its a 2006 WRX Tuner Ready edition, but I can't find any differences between the TR and a normal WRX besides the seats and some interior stuff. Is that really it?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah thats what it seems like. Car drives really smooth, engine and the engine area look really good as well. Guy has all the maintenance records that he's done (2nd owner), and a transferrable warranty up to 90k miles. The guy seems like a pretty stand-up dude so I have some thinking to do in the next day. Only thing is its a 2006 WRX Tuner Ready edition, but I can't find any differences between the TR and a normal WRX besides the seats and some interior stuff. Is that really it?

The TR got 4pot front and 2pot rear brakes.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Sockington posted:

The TR got 4pot front and 2pot rear brakes.

I'm pretty sure the regular sedan got the 4pot/2pot as well. From what I remember the TR was just a cheaper wrx, supposedly so the savings could be spent on upgrades.

I know they didn't have painted mirrors and sideskirts, no auto climate control and maybe different seats?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, cheaper stereo etc, no real major differences and the wrx and tr had the same brakes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

Friends sketchy 2.2 found in a trunk of a junkyard car.

Blackstone:

Hey guys, thanks to "slow is fast" I'm now on this awesome forum :D
That's my car. I have that motor in my $400 legacy GT now.
Leggy is just my DD. JDM headlights, black wheels. Nothing special.

BUT... my project/fun car in my 89 GL.
Dual range, ea81 swap. And a 2" lift with some pug wheels.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

daslog posted:

Here is a video that explains it

http://youtu.be/K4JhruinbWc

This is a great video, thank you.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

and tr had the same brakes.

I'm an idiot - I remember that now (forgot I ordered some stainless lines from you for my 4pots/2pots)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

chrisgt posted:

BUT... my project/fun car in my 89 GL.
Dual range, ea81 swap. And a 2" lift with some pug wheels.

Cool. Nice to see some older Subarus on here. Didn't the GL originally come with an EA82? Not that there's much power difference to the older carb'd motor, just seems like an odd swap.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah I was thinking that too. There's lots of people that do EJ swaps into the EA82 cars (most commonly the EJ22 from a Legacy)... I was thinking putting an EA81 is a bit weird!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Simkin posted:

Cool. Nice to see some older Subarus on here. Didn't the GL originally come with an EA82? Not that there's much power difference to the older carb'd motor, just seems like an odd swap.

EJ22 swap would be ideal. And some day, it will happen.
I have the ea82 intake manifold on the ea81, so it's fuel injected.

The ea81 never came with FI, but it's estimated it has somewhere between 80 to 85 crank HP on the stock FI system.

This estimation comes from the difference between carbed and FI ea82 motors. Keep in mind, the carbed ea82 actually has a lower compression ratio than the later ones with FI.
Whatever it is, is certainly more than 73hp carbed. I know of no dyno charts.

No the car is not super fast, but it's a TON of fun.

Though, the transmission is getting tired. So when I do the ej22 swap I'll need to overhaul the transmission.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yo, I hate P0420 codes. I swear I saw a thread about Check Engine lights on iwsti/rs25 somewhere once upon a time...since I seem to have lost it, does anyone have a link to that, or other suggested car troubleshooting for CATALYST BELOW THRESHOLD issues?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

chrisgt posted:

swap.avi

ER27 swap, you know you want to...

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

Yo, I hate P0420 codes. I swear I saw a thread about Check Engine lights on iwsti/rs25 somewhere once upon a time...since I seem to have lost it, does anyone have a link to that, or other suggested car troubleshooting for CATALYST BELOW THRESHOLD issues?

It's either your O2 sensor or your cat.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I want this car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWta4bxZHVs

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
Bought a 2003 wrx wagon today. Great shape, paint is still immaculate, no dings or scratches. Only 53000 miles. No mods installed. Driven by a lady with a large dog. Took it to my local mechanic and had them check it out, no problems whatsoever. New brakes and tires. Ended up getting it from the dealership for 13000$.

Think I got a good deal?

I'm happy regardless.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone happen to know a site that lists the production numbers of cars? I'm trying to find out how many 2008 Forester Sports 2.5XT's were made and can't for the life of me get an accurate number. The closest I can find is some guy on the Forester forums claiming only 500 were made with 200 being manual, but I'd obviously like a slightly more trustworthy source. I tried cars101.com, Wikipedia, and google searches and I'm coming up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWiNKiE
Nov 18, 2002

Daah, I heard that!
I'm considering donning the flannel with a new WRX, but hoped to get some help. I searched, but didn't see anything relevant to my questions...

1) VIP Program. I know I can sign up with one of several places, wait six months, then get 2% under invoice. Is that pretty much the best route for buying new? Any way to speed that up without knowing a Subaru employee? (Or, do any Subaru employees want to be my friend?)

I went to a dealer last week and mentioned that I was open to a 2011 instead of ordering a 2012 if the price was right, and got "OH GOD! THE TSUNAMI TOOK AWAY ALL SUBARUS! You can drive this one, but we won't get any more until December unless I ask another dealer to send me one. I can't keep them on the lot! We aren't taking 2012 WRX orders until September, and they won't come until like, March."

2) I have an '09 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS right now, and every loving thing in the world is controlled by the goddamn GPS, which is the only reason I bought the stupid thing. Want the car to stop honking when you lock it? Tell the GPS or pay the dealer $100 for a flash. Want the headlights to turn off when the motor's not running? Tell the GPS or pay the dealer...

Is Subaru the same way? I had hoped to go with the stock audio system and replace it, but not if it means I have to have the dealer flash the ECM for every loving thing under the sun.

3) Similar to #2, how many TPMS slots are in the ECM? I prefer to run summer and winter tires, and the precious ECM in my Lancer has four slots. So, I have to get my tires swapped out twice a year so my dash display doesn't bitch at me -- or I could get another set of wheels and sensors, and have the dealer charge me $200 to reflash the ECM every time.