Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Lots of factors affect FM signal strength; transmitter power, power and "nearness" of other signals close to that band, topography, weather, etc., but if this is the first time this has happened in that location it might have been a lucky bit of cloud cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX#Sporadic_E_propagation_.28E-skip.29

Otherwise, you can look up the station here to see if buildings or natural features funnel the signal an unusual way.

http://radio-locator.com/

Edit: In inaccurate layman terms, signals travel both in a "line of sight" way and by reflection. Clouds and atmospheric conditions can reflect the signals surprising distances sometimes, or limit them immensely.

Edit 2: If you are really curious, I work at a broadcaster's association and can ask one of our engineers, but this type of thing, while not common, is not exactly uncommon either. They could have also gotten an FM translator, which is just a signal repeater that increases their broadcast range while staying in line with FCC regulations. These require their own license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station#Radio_2

It must have been the atmospheric conditions, because I got nothing on my way home from work. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

isoprenaline posted:

Do babies have gut flora at birth? If not when and how they do pick it up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Loopyface posted:

No, this is incorrect.

Yeah, trying it with my own account proves I was wrong. I was just repeating something I was told.

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

How do you pronounce the ancient name "Celadus"? As in "Celadus the Thracian makes the girls sigh"? (this is an ancient piece of graffiti)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Sailors were crafting fake mermen out of guitarfish or manta rays up until a hundred years ago or so I believe. Some of these still exist. They have a special name but I can't think of it. It's not the Feejee Mermaid, but something with a women's name in it, "...anne" or something like that. Does somebody know the term?

Here is the fish I am talking about.
http://fishanatomy.net/webpages/fish/guitarfish/L_external.htm

Thanks!

I think you're thinking of a Jenny Hanover or Jenny Haniver (I've seen both spellings).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Yancakes posted:

How do you pronounce the ancient name "Celadus"? As in "Celadus the Thracian makes the girls sigh"? (this is an ancient piece of graffiti)

Keh-lah-doos

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Keh-lah-doos

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

A grammar question, this time. When quoting, should the quote be in italics and the name of the person who is being quoted be normal, or should the name be in italics and the quote be normal?

So basically, this?

I am quoting a quote. -John Quotesmith

or this?

EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
What kind of equipment would I need to transfer audio cassettes to a digital format?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Barnum posted:

What kind of equipment would I need to transfer audio cassettes to a digital format?

A tape player connected to the line in of your soundcard. The cable needed depends on the tape player's output and the sound card's input. You could use Audacity to record it to a WAV.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Yancakes posted:

A grammar question, this time. When quoting, should the quote be in italics and the name of the person who is being quoted be normal, or should the name be in italics and the quote be normal?

So basically, this?

or this?

EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

That's less grammar and more typesetting. ;) I'd go with italics for the quote and Roman for the name. But why aren't you just using quotation marks?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Anyone know where to get a quality microphone or point me to a thread with suggestions?

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

What are some nice-smelling plants that I can put on my window-sill and are easy to maintain?

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

Besesoth posted:

That's less grammar and more typesetting. ;) I'd go with italics for the quote and Roman for the name. But why aren't you just using quotation marks?

Because I'm too cool for quotation marks.

Really though, the quote is going on the back of the program for my wedding ceremony. I initially thought quotes were italicized and names were roman, but when I did that I thought it was sort of ugly. Same with quotation marks, I just thought they were sort of ugly.

Basically, it's this:

quote:

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

-Albert Einstein

or this...

quote:

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

-Albert Einstein

or, I guess, this, but I don't like it

quote:

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

Yancakes
Sep 5, 2004

College Rockout posted:

What are some nice-smelling plants that I can put on my window-sill and are easy to maintain?

Basil. You can get it at most grocery stores...and it smells like basil.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JDanielS posted:

Anyone know where to get a quality microphone or point me to a thread with suggestions?

Studio quality? Gamer quality? What do you want to use it for?

Preach
May 15, 2007

Mmm... oh Homer
Where do the images of pets beside the banner ads on SA come from? Are they goon pets?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Preach posted:

Where do the images of pets beside the banner ads on SA come from? Are they goon pets?
Yes. Well, at least they're all goon submitted. Lowtax made a thread asking for them a long time ago. I like them.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

baquerd posted:

Studio quality? Gamer quality? What do you want to use it for?

Just something for skype calls, not for music recording.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JDanielS posted:

Just something for skype calls, not for music recording.

Go to Target, they have headphone/mic combos for like $15.

College Rockout posted:

Try mint. It smells great, and is quite sturdy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this image (specifically the tidbit at the bottom)? Something about it seems like it's far too simplified...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Something about it seems like it's far too simplified...

It doesn't account for incest :eng101:

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Sizzlechest posted:

A tape player connected to the line in of your soundcard. The cable needed depends on the tape player's output and the sound card's input. You could use Audacity to record it to a WAV.

Sweet. Thanks, for some reason I thought it'd be more complicated.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this image (specifically the tidbit at the bottom)? Something about it seems like it's far too simplified...

The math assumes that every single person in it is unique. Somewhere along the line the tree connects back to itself- two people who have a common ancestor had children together. It doesn't risk genetic damage or count as incest socially if the closest common ancestor was a dozen generations ago.

So what it says at the bottom is true, but don't think "ewww" because of it. We're all related to mitochondrial Eve anyway.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 3, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

The math assumes that every single person in it is unique. Somewhere along the line the tree connects back to itself- two people who have a common ancestor had children together. It doesn't risk genetic damage or count as incest socially if the closest common ancestor was a dozen generations ago.

Ah, that's the part I was missing. I never thought of that. So what it says on the bottom is still true though? I've known about the Mitochondrial Eve for a while, but for some reason this is blowing my mind even more. Maybe because it's closer to recent history.

Elman posted:

It doesn't account for incest :eng101:

Ah, I never thought of that either, and it's more obvious than haveblue's explanation :doh:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Drew Barrymore surely has all the money she could want, a great career and is still viable. What's the advantage to a supercelebrity to do eyeliner commercials? Surely they don't like the product that much where they go pound down Maybelline's door asking to be in a commercial. Someone like Barrymore, or Horseface or Seinfeld doesn't need the exposure, And surely they're not being paid enough to make a difference against, say, a guest appearance on a series.

So what's in it for them?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I doubt her payment has been made public, but she probably makes a shitload of money from endorsing Maybelline.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 3, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
And it's a ton of money for very little work. They can spend a couple months making a movie and get paid some amount, then they get offered the same amount for 1 afternoon of shooting a commercial. Especially Jerry Seinfeld must get millions and millions of dollars for his commercials. He'd be foolish to turn it down.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Don't ever overestimate the amount of money a movie star makes and the amount he or she spends.

Bruce Campbell has a great bit in his Autobiography where he talks about how "you too can earn like a movie star" and uses his $500,000 salary for Army of Darkness as a basis for comparison. 10% to your agent, another 5% off to a business manager, about 34% in taxes once you factor in the marginal nature of tax brackets, and the fact that it might be the only movie you work on that year all adds up to not as much as it sounds like (in Bruce's example, he also owed 50% to his wife because of a recent divorce.)

According to the Wiki, Drew Barrymore commanded $10-$12 million per role in 2006. She seems to do about 1 to 2 movies per year, but the second one is usually a much smaller bit that I'm guessing she does for the "art" more than the paycheck. Her more recent movies haven't done quite as well as the ones leading up to that article, either, so it might be a bit lower. If we use $10 million as a basis:

$6.67 million after taxes.
$5.57 million after the agent gets paid (assuming 10% to agent - she might have a better deal).
$5 million after business manager gets paid.
State taxes need to get in there, too.
And this all assumes an absence of other "staff," e.g. publicists and the like. Granted, a smart accountant would get some of those expenses for agents and the like deducted, but she's still bleeding out money from that paycheck before she ever spends a dime on "herself."

Yep, $4.5 to $5 million gross per year sounds pretty sweet. I'd be all over that, no doubt, but consider:

According to a quick google search, her most recent home purchase cost $7 or $8 million. You don't usually pay cash outright for a house like that, so she's probably rolling with what I quickly calculated at a $50,000 to $75,000 a month mortgage payment depending on the term; that's to say nothing of the property taxes on a property like that.

Also figure that she can't just live like the rest of us do - part of being a movie star is projecting that famous image. She visits famously expensive hair salons, her clothes are way pricier, cars, etc. all add up.

So yeah, if she has smart people working for her, she's not burning up her money, but she's also not living an ultra-frugal lifestyle. A good deal of that cash gets spent "maintaining an image" that helps further her employment. On top of all of that, there has to be the inevitable understanding that at some point the roles may start drying up and she'll need to live on what she's banked.

Finally, don't ignore the appeal of exposure to people with the kind of mindset likely you often find among movie stars. There's a possibility that, separate from the money, she just wants to see her face out there EVEN more.

That brings it all back around to a more clearly explained version of what others are saying: She's probably getting a hefty paycheck for not a lot of work. Yeah, in a world where you have unlimited funds it might not be worth it, but even a movie star doesn't live in that world.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SIHappiness posted:

Don't ever overestimate the amount of money a movie star makes and the amount he or she spends.

Bruce Campbell has a great bit in his Autobiography where he talks about how "you too can earn like a movie star" and uses his $500,000 salary for Army of Darkness as a basis for comparison. 10% to your agent, another 5% off to a business manager, about 34% in taxes once you factor in the marginal nature of tax brackets, and the fact that it might be the only movie you work on that year all adds up to not as much as it sounds like (in Bruce's example, he also owed 50% to his wife because of a recent divorce.)

According to the Wiki, Drew Barrymore commanded $10-$12 million per role in 2006. She seems to do about 1 to 2 movies per year, but the second one is usually a much smaller bit that I'm guessing she does for the "art" more than the paycheck. Her more recent movies haven't done quite as well as the ones leading up to that article, either, so it might be a bit lower. If we use $10 million as a basis:

$6.67 million after taxes.
$5.57 million after the agent gets paid (assuming 10% to agent - she might have a better deal).
$5 million after business manager gets paid.
State taxes need to get in there, too.
And this all assumes an absence of other "staff," e.g. publicists and the like. Granted, a smart accountant would get some of those expenses for agents and the like deducted, but she's still bleeding out money from that paycheck before she ever spends a dime on "herself."

Yep, $4.5 to $5 million gross per year sounds pretty sweet. I'd be all over that, no doubt, but consider:

According to a quick google search, her most recent home purchase cost $7 or $8 million. You don't usually pay cash outright for a house like that, so she's probably rolling with what I quickly calculated at a $50,000 to $75,000 a month mortgage payment depending on the term; that's to say nothing of the property taxes on a property like that.

Also figure that she can't just live like the rest of us do - part of being a movie star is projecting that famous image. She visits famously expensive hair salons, her clothes are way pricier, cars, etc. all add up.

So yeah, if she has smart people working for her, she's not burning up her money, but she's also not living an ultra-frugal lifestyle. A good deal of that cash gets spent "maintaining an image" that helps further her employment. On top of all of that, there has to be the inevitable understanding that at some point the roles may start drying up and she'll need to live on what she's banked.

Finally, don't ignore the appeal of exposure to people with the kind of mindset likely you often find among movie stars. There's a possibility that, separate from the money, she just wants to see her face out there EVEN more.

That brings it all back around to a more clearly explained version of what others are saying: She's probably getting a hefty paycheck for not a lot of work. Yeah, in a world where you have unlimited funds it might not be worth it, but even a movie star doesn't live in that world.

Why doesn't she incorporate in a tax shelter island, and have her firm contract her work out to the movie company. She gets paid a small salary from the firm. Her agents, managers, and staff are all paid from the firm. All of her property and other things become the firm's assets, which she is allowed to use. Everything else she does - really anything photographed by the paparazzi as its publicity - becomes a business expense. Taxes suddenly don't become an issue.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It could also be publicity -- a way to keep her image as a fresh, beautiful leading woman out there. Her movie niche is very competitive, so I'd image every bit of presence helps distinguish her from the other faces.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FogHelmut posted:

Why doesn't she incorporate in a tax shelter island, and have her firm contract her work out to the movie company. She gets paid a small salary from the firm. Her agents, managers, and staff are all paid from the firm. All of her property and other things become the firm's assets, which she is allowed to use. Everything else she does - really anything photographed by the paparazzi as its publicity - becomes a business expense. Taxes suddenly don't become an issue.
Probably because it doesn't actually work like that -- unless you don't ever want to repatriate any of your income or want to go to jail for tax evasion.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have recommendations for podcasts?

Lately I've been listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I like it a lot. I've never paid much attention to podcasts, before this point. I'd like to find out about some more good ones. I'll probably be checking out the This American Life podcast, too.

I don't really have anything specific I'm looking for. Something that goes through historical events would be cool, and I wouldn't be averse to something about video games either, but not like a news/industry thing, as I don't really care to keep up with that kind of stuff. I used to listen to one a long time ago, I can't really remember much about it- I think it was related to i-mockery somehow?- but it was like a general topic thing, the guy talked about Godzilla, pro wrestling, old boardgames, whatever interested him at the time, and it was pretty entertaining.

I realize my description isn't very helpful, but that's because I don't totally know what I'm looking for. Something entertaining to listen to while I play a game or browse the web. Maybe just list the ones that you listen to, and why!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The PYF Podcast thread might be helpful.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lately I've been listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I like it a lot. I've never paid much attention to podcasts, before this point. I'd like to find out about some more good ones. I'll probably be checking out the This American Life podcast, too.

I don't really have anything specific I'm looking for. Something that goes through historical events would be cool, and I wouldn't be averse to something about video games either, but not like a news/industry thing, as I don't really care to keep up with that kind of stuff. I used to listen to one a long time ago, I can't really remember much about it- I think it was related to i-mockery somehow?- but it was like a general topic thing, the guy talked about Godzilla, pro wrestling, old boardgames, whatever interested him at the time, and it was pretty entertaining.

For general informative poo poo, I highly recommend Stuff You Should Know. Two really freakishly laid-back and witty dudes talk about anything and everything. It's not scripted whatsoever, they do research (both of them are writers for HowStuffWorks.com) and then they wing it, so it's like two buddies shootin' the poo poo about fMRIs and asteroid mining and human cannonballs. Always entertaining and accessible without being dumbed-down.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I realize my description isn't very helpful, but that's because I don't totally know what I'm looking for. Something entertaining to listen to while I play a game or browse the web. Maybe just list the ones that you listen to, and why!

If you like Uhh Yeah Dude because it's basically just some friends shooting the poo poo, you might like The Nerdist, Jordan Jesse Go, or the tragically defunct You Look Nice Today.

cats
May 11, 2009
This probably belongs in Travel/Tourism but they don't have s small questions/Israel/Birthright thread, and I just have a small question:

I was thinking about going this winter. My cousin is also interested; he will be 23 in December, I will be 21 in November. Looking at the trips, they're mostly divided into ages 18-22 and 22-26. Would he be able to sign up for the same winter trip as me (registration opens this month)? He has already graduated college, so I'm not sure if they take that into account along with age.

evlbstrd
Jan 9, 2005
Any idea how to hang a hammock indoors on metal stud walls? Need to support 80kg - 140kgs. Consensus online is that the narrow metal channel does not have enough surface area to grip hooks. I also have a window and and closet door frame that are aligned, and wonder if it's safe to drill hooks straight into the casing, assuming there's solid wood underneath. Also considered getting LCD TV mounts, but that's more expensive than a couple bucks.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I left my sunroof open with my Garmin Nuvi sitting out on one of the seats. A rain storm came along and get everything nice and wet. I gave the Garmin some time to dry out before trying to turn it on and got no joy. Any tips on trying to save it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I left my sunroof open with my Garmin Nuvi sitting out on one of the seats. A rain storm came along and get everything nice and wet. I gave the Garmin some time to dry out before trying to turn it on and got no joy. Any tips on trying to save it?

A bowl full of uncooked rice can act a decent desiccant and pull moisture out of wet electronics. Just submerge the device in the rice and leave it there overnight.