Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Gulp! well it seems my first ever amateur MMA fight has escalated a little, it was initially due to be a small local event but its now going to be one of the fights at this...

And I've recently discovered they've secured coverage from Sky Sports so now not only can i get watched being beaten up in front of friends,family and locals but also a few thousand strangers via satellite......nervous....yup..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

it is complacency. This is how you should treat whitebelts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChWWkRS0MQ

they should all be destroyed.

Very true. I have been too lazy lately with my treatment of whitebelts because I have been teaching them and want to let that work. Now I have to remind myself (hard) not to have that attitude all the time when I roll.

In addition, give a whitebelt an inch and they will think they can rip your arm off and try. I am the doom of fools and I am back to destroy them.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Gaz2k21 posted:

Gulp! well it seems my first ever amateur MMA fight has escalated a little, it was initially due to be a small local event but its now going to be one of the fights at this...

And I've recently discovered they've secured coverage from Sky Sports so now not only can i get watched being beaten up in front of friends,family and locals but also a few thousand strangers via satellite......nervous....yup..

Dang, that's pretty cool. Have fun!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, I just had one go from "looks like he has an ankle lock to "is that a cracking sound I hear?" in about a quarter of a second. And then keep on choking me for about 5-10 seconds after I had started tapping.

Your club lets white belts do ankle locks? I've only worked out with a few BJJ clubs, but none of them allowed anyone less than blue to do ankle or knee locks as a general rule.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Your club lets white belts do ankle locks? I've only worked out with a few BJJ clubs, but none of them allowed anyone less than blue to do ankle or knee locks as a general rule.

That reminds me of the time our Judo club first started last year, and this one white belt who clearly watched a ton of MMA tried to lock in a kneebar on someone else during our first live ne-waza like it was mundials or a championship fight based on the look on his face. Thankfully he had no idea what he was doing and just ended up hugging the guys leg really hard, but I still ran over ASAP to stop him. He never came back.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Whitebelts are allowed to use ankle locks AND kneebars. We just go over what is and is not acceptable behavior at the club.

As for whitebelts, I take it super easy on them at first, just to see where they are at, and then slowly ramp up on them. They want to feel comfortable at first, so the chances of them spazzing out is less.

EDIT: I think that whitebelts realize that going for ankle locks and knee bars are generally a bad idea when you're rolling people better then you. Especially since there's not a lot of technique time spent on those things.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 2, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Yep. I'm pretty sure he was a college wrestler too because he was a white belt who had problems with the submissions but had no issues with the whole grappling thing.

EDIT: He was also trying to cover my nose and mouth, which was pretty weird. Not shoving his shoulder into my face or anything, just taking his hand and cupping it over my mouth. I wasn't really complaining because that's an easy armbar, but it was still pretty weird.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I can kind of see straight ankle locks, since they aren't as dangerous. But I just have no trust in the smoothness of anybody with less than at least a year of training to do most ankle or knee locks. With a lot of those locks you don't feel anything until the joint is already damaged, so somebody jerking it could easily cause a ligament tear. If a club I went to had a policy of allowing beginners to use ankle/knee locks while rolling I would find a new club.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

I can kind of see straight ankle locks, since they aren't as dangerous. But I just have no trust in the smoothness of anybody with less than at least a year of training to do most ankle or knee locks. With a lot of those locks you don't feel anything until the joint is already damaged, so somebody jerking it could easily cause a ligament tear. If a club I went to had a policy of allowing beginners to use ankle/knee locks while rolling I would find a new club.

If by "a lot of these locks" you mean only heelhooks, sure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sure. But that's also the first lock that a guy who has just watched MMA is going to try.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's the one he did.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What about toeholds?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

niethan posted:

What about toeholds?

I don't really mind them as long as the other person is reasonable because you can feel how they have control. I don't mind heel hooks either when the person just slowly demonstrates control rather than cranking it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

niethan posted:

What about toeholds?

Toeholds hurt like a motherfucker, you definitely feel those before your ankle sprains. It's nothing like a heelhook.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Toeholds hurt like a motherfucker, you definitely feel those before your ankle sprains. It's nothing like a heelhook.

Exactly. I don't mind the pain, it's the injuries that I don't like.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

But did you get back on training or still feeling a bit down?

Sorry for waiting so long before responding to this, but I just completely forget. I've been busy with a move, but now I'm completely settled in to a new and pretty baller apartment with a training partner, and things seem like they are falling a little bit back into place in terms of stability.

I was actually back training today, and I had a blast. The club has had a large influx of new members lately, which is pretty normal this time of year since we get a fresh batch of about 8000 new students to the town. The class was split up, and the instructor gave me the beginners and I went through some real basic positioning and submissions to get them going, and it gave me a little reminder of why jujitsu is so much fun.
What I don't like is the fact that I was about <-> this close to skipping training and doing absolutely nothing instead. I just need to get back into my head that jujitsu is awesome and remind myself of how much fun it is when you actually do it.

Sorry if this post is a lot of uninteresting E/N, but if someone else is suffering from having a hard time getting back into training at any point; I read an interesting article by Kid Peligro a few years, and it was pretty much summed up with "Just loving go." It's almost always worth it, and whatever you were gonna do instead can probably wait and likely sucks anyway. Just thinking JFG has been the deciding factor in guilting myself into training a few times.
Your experience may vary. I might just be very simple.

Also, Adolfo, I'm so glad to hear you're back and able to train again. I was worried there for a while!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Gaz2k21 posted:

Oh, and this is awesome, man. What are the chances of you being able to post a video of your fight after the event? That would be totally sweet.
I thought perhaps maybe there might be some issues with just recording and sharing since it appears to be televised and such.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Toeholds are fine from somebody who knows what they are doing, but also really easy for somebody to break your toe from popping it in to hard.

Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest so a lot of the guys who show up are former wrestlers, but so many new people get a little bit of technique and then just crank it. Especially since they are used to folkstyle wrestling, where harder = better in all cases.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Toeholds are fine from somebody who knows what they are doing, but also really easy for somebody to break your toe from popping it in to hard.

Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest so a lot of the guys who show up are former wrestlers, but so many new people get a little bit of technique and then just crank it. Especially since they are used to folkstyle wrestling, where harder = better in all cases.

Haha what? Toeholds attack the ankle, if they're bending the other person's toes such that they might break you're too far down and you risk their foot popping out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That video of the guy with the snapped toe was a freak thing where the attacker's gi sleeve caught the big toe, right?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
They gi can be brutal for breaking small digits. I've seen a lot of little fingers pop in collars and sleeves.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I've seen more broken feet, and given someone a broken foot, from toe holds than I have ankle injuries.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Yeah, you'll probably do more damage with a tight grip on the metatarsals than you can stretching the ligaments on the top of the foot.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh, and this is awesome, man. What are the chances of you being able to post a video of your fight after the event? That would be totally sweet.
I thought perhaps maybe there might be some issues with just recording and sharing since it appears to be televised and such.

Cheers Man!

I'd imagine it wont be to much of an issue I'm still a bit dubious of it being broadcast on Sky Sports I kind of get the feeling it may actually be one of the Free to Air sports channels available via Sky TV (some of which have been showing quite a bit of Amateur MMA recently)

Failing that I'm sure numerous friends and family will be filming with the cameraphones, flips etc It is only an amateur fight which in the UK generally means no headshots, and no knees or elbows (also generally it requires shin &instep guards to be worn)

I'm looking forward to it im just trying to make weight (got about 3KG to lose) and I dont want to look like poo poo half naked on national television (i'm a former fatty still trying to get rid of some leftover pudge)

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
Apologies if this has been posted. I didn't see it in the last few pages. Possibly the most technical "street fight" I've ever seen:
Judo vs. Sambo

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=674_1314959934

Natalie Portmanteau
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finn

fidgit posted:

Apologies if this has been posted. I didn't see it in the last few pages. Possibly the most technical "street fight" I've ever seen:
Judo vs. Sambo

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=674_1314959934

Judo wins

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Natalie Portmanteau posted:

Judo wins

Who's supposed to be doing what I really don't know!

Also, I was all :ohdear: for orange guy because he was getting his rear end handed to him all fight long except at the very end (those throws at the beggining must have hurt quite a bit) but at the end, the red guy looked like he was bleeding a lot

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
They must have held some grudge, fighting bareknuckle for like 10 minutes straight.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Interesting video.

Another quick question for Judo and BJJ goons...

I saw someone mention a few pages back that Judo is one of the best martial arts for smaller/shorter people. But to me it always seemed difficult to throw much larger opponents. And escaping the mount of much larger opponents seems even more difficult. Contrasted to a striking style where jaws aren't effected by size(though reach and striking power are, which clearly have a large effect).

So for Judo and BJJ, how much, if at all, does skill gap effect weight class? What I mean is are you able to easily defeat someone notably bigger than you but who also has less skill? I imagine skill helps a lot against larger white belts who just joined the class and have no defensive skills but after they get a certain level of training things start to level off? Or is skill always a measurable factor? And if so how much of a factor? Would you say it's more or less of a factor than, say, Boxing?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 4, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

-Blackadder- posted:

So for Judo and BJJ, how much, if at all, does skill gap effect weight class? What I mean is are you able to easily defeat someone notably bigger than you but who also has less skill? I imagine skill helps a lot against larger white belts who just joined the class and have no defensive skills but after they get a certain level of training things start level off? Or is skill always a measurable factor? And if so how much of a factor?

Being a pretty small guy (5'10" 140 lbs) I would say weight/strength/physical conditioning is almost always the deciding factor. However, a 20lb difference in weight is different between 200/180, 180/160, or 160/140. The gap in functional strength between 140/160 is huge, a much larger gap than say 200/180.

The difference in weight class can be made up, but only if there is a big difference in skill or time spent practicing. I might be able to handle someone with no training who is 160. But after a couple months as they pick up things, it is going to get much harder for me to deal with and I may suddenly just start losing to them all the time in free rolling.

I think the Judo comment was pretty much talking about how shorter people (at the same weight) have an advantage due to having a center of gravity closer to the floor.

Does this answer your question?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 4, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

-Blackadder- posted:

Interesting video.

I saw someone mention a few pages back that Judo is one of the best martial arts for smaller/shorter people. But to me it always seemed difficult to throw much larger opponents. And escaping the mount of much larger opponents seems even more difficult. Contrasted to a striking style where jaws aren't effected by size(though reach and striking power are, which clearly have a large effect).

So for Judo and BJJ, how much, if at all, does skill gap effect weight class? What I mean is are you able to easily defeat someone notably bigger than you but who also has less skill? I imagine skill helps a lot against larger white belts who just joined the class and have no defensive skills but after they get a certain level of training things start to level off? Or is skill always a measurable factor? And if so how much of a factor? Would you say it's more or less of a factor than, say, Boxing?

Being short helps for certan throws. We had a very small guy (think 5'0) at our club and he was loving hard to throw and he had some wicked hip throws.

Not being strong is not a good thing obviously, but what is fun with grappling is that you can overcome a size disadvantage because you use leverage, movement, gravity, etc. to your advantage to multiply your actual strenght. Of course, at equal skill, the stronger/more flexible/faster/etc guy will usually win.

I don't do boxing, but I would think that being 5'0 and fighting a 6'0 guy would be almost impossible in boxing if both guy had a skill level that was close. In judo if the same guys have relatively similar strenght and experience, both have a fair chance of winning.

I'm 5'8 and 167 pounds right now so I'm very average bordering on small and I hold my own against everyone except those who have much more experience than me. I roll through guys much bigger than me (both in height and size) for their first year without any problem. My friend who is about 5'9 and may be 140 is having a whole lot of problem though, he's about 1 year into judo and he just loses all the time against all the other newbies because he's weaker than them. If he keep up with it, I expect him to beat the new batch of student this year without too much problem until they have 2 months of experience.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Senor P. posted:

The difference in weight class can be made up, but only if there is a big difference in skill or time spent practicing.
This basically. I've only been at it for less than a year but through my rookie eyes, I've found most big guys have some disadvantage due to their size, like maybe less flexibility or they're top heavy or don't know how to use their weight or they don't move as quick. I run into big problems when you have a really gifted athlete who is big, strong and has that natural fast speed aswell.

Ohhh, Ronda Rousey doing my favourite combo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8YsVyg7ew

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 4, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Well I was holding out for a better quality version of it, but here's my fight. Feel free to give any advice, pointers, or mock my overuse of the jab. Oh, and you might want to turn the volume down. Someone's loud and obnoxious mother is sitting next to the camera man. No idea who's...

Personally, I think I need to work on my aggressiveness the most. I never feel like I'm about to put my opponents out, just making myself hard to hit and poking away. I need to work even harder on cardio too, 'casue I'm still getting too tired, too quick. I really wanted to feel him out early, then unload in the third, but drat its hard work throwing a dude around.:smug:

Still, I won, so that's good. I have a lot of work to do though. Bigger/more combos, more cardio, and maybe a head kick or two would have been nice.

E: Oh, I'm the guy in black and gold.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 4, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheStampede posted:

Well I was holding out for a better quality version of it, but here's my fight. Feel free to give any advice, pointers, or mock my overuse of the jab. Oh, and you might want to turn the volume down. Someone's loud and obnoxious mother is sitting next to the camera man. No idea who's...

I hope my fight sort of goes like that. I just found out the details and it's 3 rounds, 1.5 minutes each, and no knees/limited clinch.

otherwise known as an awesome brawl people will buy tickets to see.

Spent a couple hours just talking gameplan with my striking coach. Basically seize the initiative really quickly, throw lots of punches, circle to the left and don't get caught up standing and trading haymakers.

A lot of things I hadn't even considered, like what I would throw first to make an impression, how to keep my aggression up, etc. Biggest thing is going to be aggression, I'm not supposed to let momentum shift against me, not even once during the fight.

Nessuno
Sep 2, 2011

If you don't wanna date me, that's fine, I get that...

BUT YOU'RE WRONG AND I HATE YOU

TheStampede posted:

Personally, I think I need to work on my aggressiveness the most. I never feel like I'm about to put my opponents out, just making myself hard to hit and poking away. I need to work even harder on cardio too, 'casue I'm still getting too tired, too quick. I really wanted to feel him out early, then unload in the third, but drat its hard work throwing a dude around.:smug:

Still, I won, so that's good. I have a lot of work to do though. Bigger/more combos, more cardio, and maybe a head kick or two would have been nice.

Congrats on the win! Whoever's mom that is must be so proud :D

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

TheStampede posted:

Haha yeah you did look pretty :smug: after throwing him. In my humble know-nothing-know-it-all opinion, I think you did pretty good. I agree you should've been more aggressive against that guy. If round 1 hadn't of ended when it did I'm sure you could've overwhelmed him if you just flat out went berzerker rage on him.

Were you nervous? You seemed pretty relaxed on your way to the ring.

Did that guy's kicks hurt? He totally didn't look like he was serious about throwing those kicks.

Man, I really want to train again. I want to kick people. My shins are itching.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Interesting video.

The way I remember hearing it described was that in a striking art you are pitting your strength against their strength. Against a reasonably competent opponent there are no one hit knockouts that are reliable, there are no pressure points and you can't even put up a perfect defense. Your skill allows you to maximize the effects of your strength (boxers punch harder than bodybuilders) and minimize the damage you take, but you need to have the strength to be able to utilize it.

Grappling is more about pitting your strength against their weakness. Being stronger lets you force moves through in suboptimal conditions, but if you have the move down correctly then you can do it with next to no real strength. The basic concept is that when people are standing or on the ground in a certain position, then there are certain ways that they can exert force. If you work around those ways that they can act, then their strength does nothing for them. If you've ever been swept by someone who knows what they are doing this becomes really obvious because there is no question of fighting it with strength because you're falling and all of your limbs are pointed in the wrong direction to do anything about it. Strength is still good because it gives you an advantage against a relatively equal opponent, but I'd put money on a BJJ black belt over a blue belt without seeing what the weights were.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheStampede posted:

This is an awesome fight! I'm not a boxer/kickboxer by any stretch, so if this doesn't make any sense, please disregard.

You threw some 1-2's early in the first round that were pretty good, except for the fact that you dropped your left as you were throwing the straight (like around the 3:30 mark).

You had sweet push kicks.

And lastly, I have no idea how practical/possible this is, but he seemed to be able to initiate a clinch anytime he wanted to. Granted, you dumped him on his rear end most of the time that he did, but it might be something to watch out for against someone who has a good clinch.

Congrats on the win man, that was a great fight.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

Rhaka posted:

Awesome man, looked like you were up poo poo creek. Still missing muscle in your arm?

It's still weaker, doing rehab twice a week to get my neck working properly again and allow the nerves to slide past each other properly. But the fact that I can do training again, should get it back reasonably quickly. I can punch again, lift weights and pull ups, so getting physique back.

It was a bit rough in June, did a bit of drinking, highly suspect I have gout in my knees as had significant knee discomfort when I stopped training.

I have an awesome physio though and she okayed guard work and muay thai (she has 10 years judo experience so knows what it involves). We'll see what happens, it's still touch and go, I still get occasional pins and needles but the pain is gone at least.

Cheers Nierbo and others for good wishes.

I've been focusing on learning the spider guard and sisters (delahiva and x-guard), which is something I overlooked in the past. Mostly based on this http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/spider-guard-%E2%80%93-part-i-%E2%80%93-introduction-and-fundamentals/

Congrats with win Stampede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So not training is driving me a bit nuts. It's only been four weeks since I broke my toes and I'm not supposed to do intense training until week ten.

I was thinking of putting together a little FAQ website thing to pass the time, basically compiling a bunch of information from this thread, bullshido, and a few other places. It wouldn't be trying to convince people to take up any particular martial art or anything, but just answer a lot of common questions that seem to pop up in this thread cyclically. kind of like what nononsenseselfdefense.com is, except with less karate-crazy and about one tenth as much writing, because that place is kind of an enormous maze of scare-mongering, though he makes some good points throughout.

If it praised or criticized any martial arts it would be very gentle so as not to scare off the ninjitsu crazies and whatnot, because those are the people that most need to be dragged down to reality.

So I guess something like, a site full of stuff that martial artists need to know about self defence. I'd feel kind of like a poser because I have no actual experience with real world violence, but I think it'd be a cool thing to exist. Bullshido are fighting the good fight in terms of combating fraud but all they do to the crazed ninjitsu etc crowd are enrage them, because they're really blunt and combative.

Kind of like how Richard Dawkins is a lovely version of Carl Sagan, if that makes any sense. One is rude and hostile and really riles up the people he supposedly wants to convert, the other opened people's minds and steered them gently in the direction of being interested in science.

• Locked thread