Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7XPD-5rRqs&hd=1

So here's a trailer thing for Persona 2: Innocent Sin, due out on UMD and PSN on September 20th.

This is going straight into my "do not open until Vita launch" folder after I buy it off the PSN.

EDIT: Wasn't this supposed to come out in October? Oh well, should be a fun game anyway!

Come on man, you all of people must have already played this game. I played this a while ago using an emulator on my PC with a translation pack. That said, of course I'm getting this. Day 1.

I wonder if I need to dust off my PS1 copy of Eternal Punishment or if there's going to be a PSP release of that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

casual poster posted:

I liked persona before it became cool.
I unashamedly admit that I came into Megaten very late. The first one I played was SMT3, and I didn't like it that much at the time (though I couldn't tell you why exactly, I wish I had a copy of it now). P3 is the first one I really got into. The game mechanics look pretty bad on those earlier ones, to be honest.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The game mechanics look pretty bad on those earlier ones, to be honest.

This right here is why i think the early SMT games should be remade instead of remaking games that barely came out a few years ago. SMT1 hasn't aged very well at all, gameplay-wise (in fact i can barely play it due to how tedious it gets), but it still has an interesting plot and good soundtrack and all. It really deserves a proper remake. :sigh: Same goes for most of the other older SMT games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Okay... and?

EDIT: Anyways, I joined MegaTen with DDS2 and then continued from there and even picked up some of the older games. I love Digital Devil Saga because of the story, characters and it's actually a pretty fun game to play despite having the hardest boss in Megaten history. Raidou follows DDS as my favorite MegaTen series because the game is a pretty good action-rpg with a decent story and I find it a lot of fun.

Plus Raidou's sideburns are amazing.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 2, 2011

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The high school sim elements in P3 really worked for me because they actually made me care about the characters, which is something that very few games have ever succeeded in doing. If I wasn't at least partially invested in them, then the ending wouldn't have been as powerful. As it is, it didn't really hit me until a while afterwards how the protagonists death would affect the people he knew and helped change. As a result it's one of the most moving endings I've seen in a game.

What I'm saying is that I'm a big gay baby.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Come on man, you all of people must have already played this game. I played this a while ago using an emulator on my PC with a translation pack. That said, of course I'm getting this. Day 1.

I wonder if I need to dust off my PS1 copy of Eternal Punishment or if there's going to be a PSP release of that as well.

I played my PS1 copy on my PC with the patch awhile back but gave up after the bomb shelter because I couldn't be damned to play a PS1 game that wasn't Policenauts on a computer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I actually stopped playing that patch when this was announced :v: figured I'd wait for the improvements. I remember the grindy nature bothering me but the story was interesting so I'll live.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm still surprised P2P isn't out yet. My site got that to review (I didn't get it) like, weeks ago, before Devil Survivor Overclocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I'm still surprised P2P isn't out yet. My site got that to review (I didn't get it) like, weeks ago, before Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Atlus is loving fantastic about getting review code out for their games, often to make sure reviewers have enough time to actually play through it. I love them for it.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So then why do you give a poo poo? You don't see me freak out when a new Nascar game comes out.

I guess you just wouldn't buy it, right?

Because I want them to make a current-gen Persona game instead of a fighting game and another version of a game I've already played on a system I won't buy!

Muffet
Jan 18, 2011
BlazBlue team making a Persona fighting game?
loving awesome.
Love BlazBlue and I love Persona 4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Because I want them to make a current-gen Persona game instead of a fighting game and another version of a game I've already played on a system I won't buy!

But they are making Persona 5. That's a thing they've said they're doing.

And Atlus isn't even making the fighting game, they're just doing some assistance with Arc System Works who's making the whole thing.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Policenaut posted:

But they are making Persona 5. That's a thing they've said they're doing.

And Atlus isn't even making the fighting game, they're just doing some assistance with Arc System Works who's making the whole thing.

So who thiks they're going to make the cutscenes more like Catherine?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Atlus isn't making the fighting game themselves; I'd be surprised if Atlus has anyone working on their end of that game who isn't also working on some other project. The P4 port is, if anything, an opportunity for them to capitalize on the P4 anime that starts airing in Japan next month. If anything, not releasing some version of P4 on a current-gen system the month the anime series ends would be a tremendously dumb decision. Let's consider ourselves lucky that P4G is coming out on the Vita and not on a Japanese mobile phone service!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm actually kind of glad that P4G was what we got as the mandatory "the anime is a thing so we have to make a game" deal.

The last time I saw that happen, we got Valkyria Chronicles 2. One of the most cliche-ridden "anime" games I can remember in a long time.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Speaking of Persona 4, here's a poll-type question for everyone who finished it (spoilered for those waiting for the Vita version):

Is there a single person here who got the true ending (the one involving Izanami) in the way the creators seemed to intend? As in, not learn from a friend or a guide, nor even stumble upon it by accident, but instead by thinking "There are still plot threads left to resolve, I MUST REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH" and doing the specific sequence of events the game expects you to?

I have a friend who claims to have but I think they're just OCD and full of poo poo.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Technique posted:

This right here is why i think the early SMT games should be remade instead of remaking games that barely came out a few years ago. SMT1 hasn't aged very well at all, gameplay-wise (in fact i can barely play it due to how tedious it gets), but it still has an interesting plot and good soundtrack and all. It really deserves a proper remake. :sigh: Same goes for most of the other older SMT games.

I could go for a SMT1 & SMT2 3DS remake, maybe with If... added on the side.

And also with a dungeon map on the lower screen, thanks? :smithicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snot Man posted:

Speaking of Persona 4, here's a poll-type question for everyone who finished it (spoilered for those waiting for the Vita version):

Is there a single person here who got the true ending (the one involving Izanami) in the way the creators seemed to intend? As in, not learn from a friend or a guide, nor even stumble upon it by accident, but instead by thinking "There are still plot threads left to resolve, I MUST REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH" and doing the specific sequence of events the game expects you to?

I have a friend who claims to have but I think they're just OCD and full of poo poo.

I did. The game seemed to be hinting strongly at it and so I just kept picking "no" and continuing to explore because I noticed they never actually explained a few things and was figuring that game was going. The fact that they had unresolved plot threads felt really obvious to me, I guess.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Snot Man posted:

Me, but to be fair I always tend to get a severe case of OCD whenever I play a megaten game going back to the first Persona on PS1.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Before the game came out, they said there wasn't going to be a FES version of it, but the last part seemed exactly like something they added, terrible execution and all. I have a feeling they were originally going to hold back on putting that in the gaem, but decided not to piss people off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Before the game came out, they said there wasn't going to be a FES version of it, but the last part seemed exactly like something they added, terrible execution and all. I have a feeling they were originally going to hold back on putting that in the gaem, but decided not to piss people off.

There is absolutely no chance of this. The plotline is present throughout the entire game, from the handshake that starts it to the constant references near the end. It's fine not to like it but it wasn't something unintended.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Nope! Though I couldn't find all of my social links (I think I never went to the ramen place for the strength social link), so I just gave up on that and went home, but I almost definitely wouldn't have tried the elevator in Junes more than once.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
People probably would have taken it better if it wasn't a complete retread of the giant eye thing. Oh boy, another mystical entity with the exact same arguments and goals as the previous one that just showed up half an hour ago, only instead of being a cool eye monster, it's an anime lady. Yay. I can't wait to hear more about the fog in our minds or whatever bullshit.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Much like I bought a 3DS specifically for Devil Survivor Overclocked, I'll be buying a Vita specifcally for P4.

I'm a goddamn idiot, but I love my Shin Megami games so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Much like I bought a 3DS specifically for Devil Survivor Overclocked, I'll be buying a Vita specifcally for P4.

I'm a goddamn idiot, but I love my Shin Megami games so much.

It will be hard for P4:TG not to be a better port then Overclocked.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm just a little blown away by how little Overclocked uses the 3D capabilities. So far I've seen the intro and the fusion system, that's it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I'm just a little blown away by how little Overclocked uses the 3D capabilities. So far I've seen the intro and the fusion system, that's it.

Congrads, you've seen all the 3D in the game.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Keep in mind that while Persona 3 was written over the course of three years (off and on) by just one person, Persona 4 was written in like a month almost by committee. Those sales were just too good to capitalize on.

Not that Persona 3 made much more sense, but The Answer wasn't written by the same person who wrote The Journey (if it wasn't obvious by playing it). I'm sure whatever was added to the Persona 4 remake will be 'for the fans' (Japanese fans), for better or worse. Let's just hope it gets localized in spite of Persona 4's western sales.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If Overclocked got a pass, wouldn't Persona 4 The Golden?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Devil Survivor's sales here exceeded expectation, and it was a hell of a lot less work than localizing all of the additions the Persona 4 remake will have, on a new system Atlus USA hasn't worked on before. Devil Survivor is a sure thing as far as sales precedent is concerned, while Persona 4 sold like 2/3 of its expected units.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

There is absolutely no chance of this. The plotline is present throughout the entire game, from the handshake that starts it to the constant references near the end. It's fine not to like it but it wasn't something unintended.

Well then whoever wrote the game's story should probably stop. The way they tacked on the ending really made it seem like they wrote it as they were going along.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Justice posted:

Devil Survivor's sales here exceeded expectation, and it was a hell of a lot less work than localizing all of the additions the Persona 4 remake will have, on a new system Atlus USA hasn't worked on before. Devil Survivor is a sure thing as far as sales precedent is concerned, while Persona 4 sold like 2/3 of its expected units.

First off Momomo, I disgaree with you. I think the majority of people who played P4 liked had no issues with the story. Hey, it's your opinion though.

Justice, I'm curious about your comments. I was under the impression that P4 was considered far and away the biggest commercial success of any of the SMT games considering it's very strong sales numbers.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

First off Momomo, I disgaree with you. I think the majority of people who played P4 liked had no issues with the story. Hey, it's your opinion though.

Justice, I'm curious about your comments. I was under the impression that P4 was considered far and away the biggest commercial success of any of the SMT games considering it's very strong sales numbers.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'very strong sales numbers' then. It had half the preorders of Persona 3, and by the end of its first year it had only sold 110k units, about 40k less than was expected (and about half the number that were printed).

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's almost as if in 2009 the PS2 was no longer relevant as a platform.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
It kinda makes me worry that if the Vita doesn't take off here, if the Persona 4 remake were localized it would suffer yet again. I have no doubt that the game will sell like crazy over in Japan, but those sales don't really affect anyone here.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Justice posted:

At the same time though, localizing the additions to P4 would be less work than localizing an entire new game, so it's a good opportunity to become more familiar with the system, right?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I think the majority of people who played P4 liked had no issues with the story.

Wait, you honestly had no problems with the Izanami reveal?

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Justice posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'very strong sales numbers' then. It had half the preorders of Persona 3, and by the end of its first year it had only sold 110k units, about 40k less than was expected (and about half the number that were printed).

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Armor-Piercing posted:

At the same time though, localizing the additions to P4 would be less work than localizing an entire new game, so it's a good opportunity to become more familiar with the system, right?

I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't know the first thing about programming. I don't know the extent of the new content, but I'm sure it's nothing that Atlus USA couldn't handle. Depending on how long it takes to come out, it might not even be the first game Atlus USA localizes for the Vita. If they do bring it over, I hope they pay a little more attention to bugs so we don't have the garbled, unstranslated messes while fusing certain things in the Velvet room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

... Dude, did you cite VGChartz? They are literally full of poo poo. Nothing there has any basis in reality.