Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

Uh...from where? That's kind of important when dealing with figures.

Wait VGchartz, oh god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

Those are from VGChartz, right? I have no idea where they got those numbers from, but they appear to be completely made up. For one thing, they report that more units were sold than were actually printed. :psyduck:

I looked through the site and tried to figure out where they got their information from, but I can't find it anywhere. Atlus USA reported the sales figures back in October 2009, a year after the game came out, which you can find at several news sites.

e: lol, beaten several times :sweatdrop:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My only input on this never ending discussion is that as someone who got in on the series because of P3P...I really hope P4G makes it to the US. I bought a DS recently for TWEWY and basically the only other game Im getting is Devil Survivor right now.

So yeah, as a P3P convert...I'm praying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justice posted:

For one thing, they report that more units were sold than were actually printed. :psyduck:

Well hell, if there's enough demand then copies will just poof into existence.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm pretty sure that if Atlus USA has the balls to release a twelve year-old game on the PSP in the fall of 2011, they have the balls to do P4G, especially if they can get it out in time to be one of the first JRPGs released for the thing.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Baalster posted:

Well hell, if there's enough demand then copies will just poof into existence.

I like to think VGChartz reports how many copies would've been sold in a perfect world :) where everyone pre-orders the games they want, so publishers have a lot less guesswork and praying to do.

Speaking of which, Persona 2 for PSP comes out in a couple weeks. Have you all pre-ordered yet? :raise:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

^^^ If Atlus did the whole PSN Pre-order deal I'd have done so by now. How much is the game? $30? $40?

Justice posted:

It kinda makes me worry that if the Vita doesn't take off here, if the Persona 4 remake were localized it would suffer yet again. I have no doubt that the game will sell like crazy over in Japan, but those sales don't really affect anyone here.

You see, the problem with this and the 3DS is that it's like a chicken/egg thing.

Developers say in interviews "Oh, I don't know if 3DS/Vita will work" so they don't really do anything with them and when enough of them start saying that, it turns out there isn't enough good software on the device. So then people look at the device and go "Wow there's no games!" and don't buy it, and it becomes some self-fulfilling prophecy.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Justice posted:

Those are from VGChartz, right? I have no idea where they got those numbers from, but they appear to be completely made up. For one thing, they report that more units were sold than were actually printed. :psyduck:

They actually have a nice section where they explain their methodology. In short, yeah, they make poo poo up.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

First off Momomo, I disgaree with you. I think the majority of people who played P4 liked had no issues with the story. Hey, it's your opinion though.

I don't know, I liked it, but overall it felt less "tight" than Persona 3 and the pacing was really strange towards the end. Justice's explanation from earlier puts it in a new light I hadn't known about before. More ending spoilers:

I wouldn't say the true ending felt tacked-on so much as that it broke the storyline's flow. By the time you get to it, you've already been through two sequences that tried their damndest to pass off as the game's final climax, right up to the second one having a lengthy epilogue, before you get to... another climax that's arguably satisfying but doesn't have much more to add that hadn't been done previously in the game, and then you get another epilogue, which this time is short and feels really rushed (especially if you'd seen the normal ending previously).

And since I asked the question earlier, I guess I might as well answer it: This was my first Persona game, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, and by now JRPGs have trained me not to overthink leftover plot threads. Not to mention that I knew there was a bullshit true ending but had mistakenly assumed that it was just some extra scene and that I'd already unlocked it. v:shobon:v

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 3, 2011

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah like Policenaut I'm waiting for the PSN version (release day purchase for sure). I want P2P to work on my PSV :)

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Snot Man posted:

Speaking of Persona 4, here's a poll-type question for everyone who finished it (spoilered for those waiting for the Vita version):

Is there a single person here who got the true ending (the one involving Izanami) in the way the creators seemed to intend? As in, not learn from a friend or a guide, nor even stumble upon it by accident, but instead by thinking "There are still plot threads left to resolve, I MUST REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH" and doing the specific sequence of events the game expects you to?

I have a friend who claims to have but I think they're just OCD and full of poo poo.

I did. To explain,

I remember that the Fool and the Star (teddie) S. Links weren't maxed during the part with namatame in the hospital, then again with the judgment arcana for trying to find the part of izanagi. Since these were only forwarded by the story, and they weren't maxed, so I knew there was more to it. So I kept going at it until I saw the true ending.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Persona 2 will be $39.99, both UMD and PSN versions (since the US PSN doesn't do discounts for digital as far as I can tell). Release date is still September 20th.

Ghostlight is releasing Persona 2 for PSP sometime before the end of the year in Europe. Dunno how the EU PSN works, but if the other Persona games have popped up there, then I'm sure this will be no problem.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sweet! I'll have to pick myself up a $50 card before the release then.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
For the OP, would it be fair to say that Overclocked isn't a compelling purchase for those who have already played the game, but is the better version overall?

As for the P4 ending, , while it made perfect sense with the story and was necessary in that regard, the sudden "Haha! You have found me out! Now come find me and battle me, bye!" thing, and the execution of getting to the true ending, weren't great.

Haven't pre-ordered Innocent Sin yet, but I will. Gotta get them goodies.

I also have no doubt that P4G will make it over here, but what do I know.

In unimportant news, I reuploaded some of the OP images using imgur so they aren't as full of jpeg artifacts :thumbsup: (p.s. imgur is so much better than tinypic in every way jesus christ).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

For the OP, would it be fair to say that Overclocked isn't a compelling purchase for those who have already played the game, but is the better version overall?

Yes, and also because there's not a whole lot else to play on the 3DS so far. :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overclocked is the definitive version but it's absolutely not worth it if you already have DS. You can just toss it into your drat 3DS and aside from a few new things you've got the same game. And no dumb 8th days where you make Cain help you assist God with the power of friendship.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Justice posted:

Speaking of which, Persona 2 for PSP comes out in a couple weeks. Have you all pre-ordered yet? :raise:

I'm waiting for someone to gift it to me, as it comes out on my birthday. :shobon:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm no good with selling games so I don't feel good about putting together an IS thread OP, but if anyone else does I'll be there with a "No You Don't Have to Grind Unless You Have OCD" guide and a mini-contest for poor people, since apparently this year I'm rich and Justice isn't.

Everyone with money to throw around should have it preordered by now :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does P2P have any preorder bonuses? Or is it just the soundtrack?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have other games to buy, as much as I love P2 I need to save up for Batman and Saints Rows the Third.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Heath posted:

Does P2P have any preorder bonuses? Or is it just the soundtrack?

I'm pretty sure it's just the soundtrack unless there are some business specific bonuses I'm unaware of.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Yeah, just that. And a pretty box.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How pretty is the box?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Baalster posted:

How pretty is the box?

Kinda pretty.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Question for anyone with a review copy (or I guess a Japanese version). Does it let you save your game at the end? I remember in EP you could import your game data and get some junk but this was disabled in the US for obvious reasons.

Policenaut posted:

Kinda pretty.

That's pretty pretty.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Rinkles posted:

Innocent Sin US website is up. Pre-orders/launch copies come with a "10 track mini-soundtrack", which I think is the same as what the Japanese got.

Might be worth not getting digital.

Pretty much the same as the regular game's cover. But hey, for the same price as not getting it, why not.

I didn't pre-order P1 and managed to get a pre-order package from Gamestop like a week later, so there might be some floating around after release.

e: Can't stop the box train.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Kinda pretty.

That's very pretty.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That is pretty enough that I am almost tempted to go for a physical copy over PSN. Almost.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The burning question: is it a foil cover? This determines whether I preorder now or tomorrow.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

ImpAtom posted:

Overclocked is the definitive version but it's absolutely not worth it if you already have DS. You can just toss it into your drat 3DS and aside from a few new things you've got the same game. And no dumb 8th days where you make Cain help you assist God with the power of friendship.

Go play Naoya's 8th day then, and choose to KILL EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING, it should make you feel better.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MarsDragon posted:

Everyone with money to throw around should have it preordered by now :colbert:

I do! Thanks to throwing around your money, buddy. (Thanks again.)

I'm half tempted to post that entry here but I still worry it only won for being like, the sole attempt and not actual humor.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Wait, I thought I extended that offer to The Grimace, not you.

did you try to trick me :(

(that offer wasn't really a competition, I just felt super generous and then I realised more poor types might want a copy so I thought of a little contest to give out more)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Kinda pretty.
The soundtrack box is drat pretty, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

As for the P4 ending, , while it made perfect sense with the story and was necessary in that regard, the sudden "Haha! You have found me out! Now come find me and battle me, bye!" thing, and the execution of getting to the true ending, weren't great.

This is what I meant when I said it felt tacked on. Multiple times they go "This is the final battle! For real!" just for it to be found out that another mysterious force was actually behind it all. It felt like a cheap way to make a plot twist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just think it's funny that they go "THIS time it's for reals" and don't notice the problem of this being the forth time they've said it.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I'm really not into Atlus' recent development direction. Luckily they are running out of games to remake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then they'll remake the remakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'm really not into Atlus' recent development direction. Luckily they are running out of games to remake.

They've also made a bunch of new games. Maybe not a ton of SMT games but they've been making other things like Etrian Odyssey, Trauma Team or Radiant Historia.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
In case anyone is wondering, the full soundtrack has 214 tracks because of the remixes.

:catstare:

And also has tasteful box art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

214 tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOOUSRacNFw&t=7s