Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To think, today's cellphones are likely to have more computing power than Helios. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'd rather have a steady trickle of XP then big gobs, like DX originally is. Yeah, with shifter added it's too much and the game breaks even faster; but in the original you got severely punished for missing certain areas or goals because you wouldn't get the juicy XP. A trickle would mean you would miss out on a bit, but never too much!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I prefer when RPGs don't give XP for killing/knocking people out actually. When you do it encourages people to be thorough and feel they have to kill everyone, and punishes people who want to play true stealth. Or was a problem in KOTOR 2, not to mention many other RPGs, they give the option to talk your way out of some fights, but the reward in XP and loot is much less than killing them.

Unless you give like a huge reward for making it through a zone without killing anyone or being seen, but that seems more convoluted than just not awarding XP for killing.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 3, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You forget the other option: unseen merciful non lethal takedowns. Hard to do, but really satisfying and gives you the maximum xp and items in dx3. The same bonuses are there in shifter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I prefer when RPGs don't give XP for killing/knocking people out actually. When you do it encourages people to be thorough and feel they have to kill everyone, and punishes people who want to play true stealth. Or was a problem in KOTOR 2, not to mention many other RPGs, they give the option to talk your way out of some fights, but the reward in XP and loot is much less than killing them.

Unless you give like a huge reward for making it through a zone without killing anyone or being seen, but that seems more convoluted than just not awarding XP for killing.

I think the reasoning behind the constant XP bonuses found in Shifter and HR is to make it so every style of play is rewarded with a similar leveling curve. It's a really hard line to walk, and the balance is a big issue. This is why I didn't like the implementation in Shifter but loved it in HR: I felt like stealthing kind of gimped your xp intake in Shifter, while in HR, stealth kills give you way more XP than regular kills, but for me, since I was playing largely nonlethally and trying to never be seen, I took down a lot less people than I would have if I played lethally, which means in the end, an equal XP flow.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

In Training posted:

I think the reasoning behind the constant XP bonuses found in Shifter and HR is to make it so every style of play is rewarded with a similar leveling curve. It's a really hard line to walk, and the balance is a big issue. This is why I didn't like the implementation in Shifter but loved it in HR: I felt like stealthing kind of gimped your xp intake in Shifter, while in HR, stealth kills give you way more XP than regular kills, but for me, since I was playing largely nonlethally and trying to never be seen, I took down a lot less people than I would have if I played lethally, which means in the end, an equal XP flow.
HR is ok for this but rewarding the player differently for doing objectives in different ways is an implicit endorsement of the most lucrative way. I honestly liked the original DX's way for this because it was completely nonjudgmental of how you engaged or didn't engage in combat. It rewards you only for exploration and progression. Essentially the same as HR's system, except instead of both combat and sneaking getting rewards neither do. Which I think works better because then you don't have that nagging urge to minmax it and can engage enemies as you prefer to.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

GUI posted:

It only says "DeusEx has stopped working" and nothing more. I've tried every renderer including the unofficial DX10 one and nothing works.
The game used to work fine when I was running on Windows XP over a year ago.

Try running the game (I'm assuming you're using deus exe) in administrator mode. If it gives the error about mscvrt100.dll (or something), install the vc++ redist kit from the deus exe site.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MisterBibs posted:

IW had the misfortune of being developed before Irrational learned that designing Bioshock under the impression that people wanted System Shock Underwater was a horrible idea that was actively pissing off their testers, giving them pressure to change things to actually be fun for gamers. IW had the misfortune of coming out before Fallout 3 outsold Fallout 1 and 2 combined.

Firstly, Bioshock's gameplay was just as boring as System Shock's. Second, arguing Fallout 3's sales as justification for it being a better game is like quoting opening weekend sales of Madea Goes to the Bighouse and saying it's a better movie than Star Wars because it sold more.

RagnarokAngel posted:

You mean like Vampire: Bloodlines?

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Fuzz posted:

Firstly, Bioshock's gameplay was just as boring as System Shock's.

You take that the gently caress back, System Shock owned. <:mad:>

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gadaffi Duck posted:

Yeah, but not really for the shooty elements

I think the worst thing about the post is the implicit statement that niche games do not deserve to exist, as opposed to mainstream games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gadaffi Duck posted:

Oh, Bioshock was System Shock's wannabe cousin that just isn't as cool. That guy was posting (retarded) opinions about newer games being better than awesome old ones.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Oh, Bioshock was System Shock's wannabe cousin that just isn't as cool. That guy was posting (retarded) opinions about newer games being better than awesome old ones.
I was frustrated by Bioshock because I wanted it to play more like Deus Ex: exploring and letting me choose my battles. Instead it just locked the doors and forced you into setpiece battles. But with the limited ammo and variety of attacking options, I really wanted more opportunities to choose my strategies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bioshock owned. System Shock 2 owned. 'shocks own.

Edit: Seriously though I accepted Bioshock on the basis of being an FPS with RPG elements rather than a true FPSRPG and it does the job fine if viewed in that light. I realize if you expected something else you might have issues with it but on its own it's a pretty good game, except for how after the plot twist you still are rail roaded pretty bad.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I've tried to play this game in the past, but I always thought it was too dated. After beating DXHR though I decided to finally give it a real shot. After grinding past the Statue of Liberty, things got really great though. It's pretty amazing to see how well DXHR did to keep the gameplay the same. This game is amazing and I'm ashamed I never played it earlier! For the sake of getting the full picture, I'm going to move onto IW now before playing DXHR again. Can't wait to replay it so I can pick up all the DX/IW references :v:.

e: After reading this thread, I just learned that I missed a poo poo ton of content. Killphrases? Morpheus? Lucius DeBeers?! I CAN SAVE PAUL AND LEBEDEV?!

SMP fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Spoilers ahoy!

Killphrases
Anna Navare: Hack all UNATCO computers each visit, two computers have special button. Press them both and you know the killswitch, it's the sentence "Flatlander Woman".
Gunther Hermann: IIRC tell Jamie your doctor buddy to stay with UNATCO when you escape; meet him in a Paris' bar and you get the killswitch, it's "Laputan Machine".

Morpheus and DeBeers
In Morgan Everett's house, there is a secret room when you enter in his kitchen/bedroom behind the mirror. Lucius is there, and it starts a very small sidequest.
Morpheus is in a secret room just past Alex and the Medibot, you can open the door from a computer IIRC, or hack a keypad.

Saving dudes
Paul can be saved by NOT GOING OUT THE WINDOW. Everything else is OK. You can even just die instantly, doesn't matter.
Lebedev: Kill Anna first, of course. Easiest way: plant a lam next to the door in, she blows up when she enters.

edit:

Some other cool stuff you might've missed:

Alex' room at UNATCO has a secret hatch on the right side, in the floor. Two hatches actually, leading to the same spot. Just behind the right side table when you enter.
You can finish the game without using items, augs or skills at all.
The only person that you need to kill is Anna Navare. You can bug her out so she opens the door, but the game still moves on like she's dead.
There's a copy of the Max Chen NPC up on the roof of a skyscraper in Hong Kong. You can only reach him by cheating or bugs.
If you go into the Old China Hand bar in HK (where you can buy versalife floorplans), enter the freezer. You can jump up and enter a vent, the vent will lead to a flooded tunnel, containing an aug upgrade
Across from Maggie Chow's apartment is Jocks'.
In the first level, head into the water from Harry Filben's shack, there is a sunk freighter with some nice gear.
Without any mods like Shifter the laser sight makes each gun pinpoint accurate, eliminating any randomness.
You can save Smuggler by warning him on your final visit.
The introduction cinematic takes place in the Versalife HK lobby.
You can see Bob Page and Maggie Chow having a conversation in Versalife behind some windows in the lab sections (where the WiB walks around).
If you don't kill Maggie Chow she turns up at the base of the UC with a dragon tooth's sword.
The code of the UNATCO shack is 0451, the first keycode you get. Just like in System Shock, Bioshock and DX:HR, and probably more games made by this team (or spiritual successors)

OK, that was all from the top of my head. I love this game.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Paul apparently lives even if you go out the window. He shows up in IW without a scratch :v:

Unless, that isn't really Paul :tinfoil:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have played this game repeatedly for ten years and never managed to find the hatch in Alex's office.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Here's another secret for yall - did you find Jock's apartment in Hong Kong?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Paul apparently lives even if you go out the window. He shows up in IW without a scratch :v:

Unless, that isn't really Paul :tinfoil:

Well remember in IW everything apparently happened at once so he both died and didn't. Schrodinger's Paul.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Is grenade climbing a bug? I say it's a feature :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's no way you can save Lebedev, even if you don't kill him at the plane he gets executed later in the game according to some of the news computers.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I have played this game repeatedly for ten years and never managed to find the hatch in Alex's office.

It's really drat easy to find, seriously. Go into the room, turn right and there is a table infront of you, walk to the other side of it and look down. The other entrance to the subbasement is a bit further along.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Samopsa posted:

It's really drat easy to find, seriously. Go into the room, turn right and there is a table infront of you, walk to the other side of it and look down. The other entrance to the subbasement is a bit further along.

I... I thought from what the characters were saying that it was in the closet. :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's no way you can save Lebedev, even if you don't kill him at the plane he gets executed later in the game according to some of the news computers.

Not true, you can tranquilize him and carry his body around until you reach the safety of Tong's compound :colbert:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Not true, you can tranquilize him and carry his body around until you reach the safety of Tong's compound :colbert:

you mean to the helios/jc mainframe

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I haven't finished Human Revolution yet, but now I want Eidos Montréal to do a DX1 remake. It's basically what Batman Begins was to that franchise; tough to go back to the Burton films even if they are great.

neet
Oct 26, 2010
Right after finishing HR, I went through a full run of the original Deus Ex with Shifter and the New Vision texture pack, and had more appreciation for it than ever. It is amazing how easy it is to be immersed in the environments of that game, considering its age.

I then tried to replay invisible war, but that game is beyond saving :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Samopsa posted:

you mean to the helios/jc mainframe

Only Harvey Filban, the NSF commander in Liberty Island, a generic NSF guy, a random bum, and Manderley are worthy of a trip to the Helios mainframe. :colbert:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JDPrime posted:

Right after finishing HR, I went through a full run of the original Deus Ex with Shifter and the New Vision texture pack, and had more appreciation for it than ever. It is amazing how easy it is to be immersed in the environments of that game, considering its age.

The only things I like about IW are all somehow connected to fire. I played through it four times but the last go-through was under eight hours. DX1 still takes me fourty minimum.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JDPrime posted:

gently caress you, the Omar ending is great.

":black101: A discount has been applied to all future purchases. :black101:"

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
This http://www.mediafire.com/?d511v8ws331yr2p short clip of (bad) voice acting from the game was shared in the DXHR thread but what is the backing track to it?

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 4, 2011

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Here's another secret for yall - did you find Jock's apartment in Hong Kong?

On my ninth playthrough, yes.

keefin and kel
Aug 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SMP posted:

I've tried to play this game in the past, but I always thought it was too dated.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

poo poo, Immersive Sims are pretty dated, being mostly a relic of the late 90's. That's tragic.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Samopsa posted:

The only person that you need to kill is Anna Navare. You can bug her out so she opens the door, but the game still moves on like she's dead.

OK, that was all from the top of my head. I love this game.
Doesn't Gunther change his dialogue a bit? I also thought you had to kill him to trigger the dialog with Simons?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you don't kill Navarre there's a piece of dialogue Gunther omits when you're at the Paris Cathedral.

keefin and kel
Aug 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pope Guilty posted:

poo poo, Immersive Sims are pretty dated, being mostly a relic of the late 90's. That's tragic.

the only dated thing in deus ex that bugs me is how single pistol clips and medkits are stored in giant crates

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress you, the Omar ending is great.

only because it's basically the player's way of saying "gently caress this game"

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hank Morgan posted:

This http://www.mediafire.com/?d511v8ws331yr2p short clip of (bad) voice acting from the game was shared in the DXHR thread but what is the backing track to it?

Royksopp - So Easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

GUI posted:

If you don't kill Navarre there's a piece of dialogue Gunther omits when you're at the Paris Cathedral.

Perhaps one bit changes, could be, but most of the plot still goes on like it happened. Gunthers infolink message threatening to kill you because you killed her still play. And anyway, you can only skip killing her by abusing an AI bug, so she's definitely not meant to survive.

And you can just run past Gunther in the cathedral IIRC.