Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Never Mind The Buzzcocks was fine the way it was. A half-baked panel show with barely relevant games that was all a set-up to get people hell-rear end drunk and take the piss out of each other. That's all it ever was and all it ever should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I still wish for Simon Amstell to come back.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I still want Mark to come back. Also what is it going to take to shake Jupitus off that show?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Mr. Squishy posted:

I still want Mark to come back. Also what is it going to take to shake Jupitus off that show?

What the gently caress has happened to Mark anyway? Where is he? (and he was best on shooting stars)

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Graviton v2 posted:

What the gently caress has happened to Mark anyway? Where is he? (and he was best on shooting stars)

Last I heard he was trying to make a living doing things like radio and television in public, whilst at the same time pretending that he wasn't. Apparently he's now burrowing himself under his lawn and shouting "do you know who I am" at the moles.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Ben Soosneb posted:

Last I heard he was trying to make a living doing things like radio and television in public, whilst at the same time pretending that he wasn't. Apparently he's now burrowing himself under his lawn and shouting "do you know who I am" at the moles.

From wikipedia (who knows how accurate):
"Lamarr presents a music show for British Airways on-board listeners as part of their in-flight entertainment. In this show he presents a mix of rock and roll, blues, reggae, soul and R 'n B."

Hmmm.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Lamarr's Rock and Roll show and Alternative 60s show on Radio 2 were both excellent.

Is he not doing that anymore?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Graviton v2 posted:

He's sunk all his time into his gerbil farm.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Leyburn posted:

Lamarr's Rock and Roll show and Alternative 60s show on Radio 2 were both excellent.

Is he not doing that anymore?

"At the end of 2010 Lamarr left Radio 2, claiming the station has lost interest in non-mainstream music"

Guess not. I really enjoyed those as well :(

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He worked on Radio 2 for a while, most notably on God's Jukebox, 3 hours of whatever he wanted to play which ran every Saturday at midnight for years. He wrapped that up Christmas 2010, explaining his decision by citing Elton John's Piano sitting in the lobby of Radio 2. He occasionally writes for a blog dedicated to God's Jukebox, claiming to plug there if he ever gets a show again.
I am a massive sap for Lamarr, not only because I find him a fantastic presenter, but also because he's simply devoted to music.
e: this took a while to write

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Still watching big brother. Agree with pretty much everything said in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjP4Ok2PZA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what they're talking about, but I like the badger.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Adrianics posted:

Never Mind The Buzzcocks was fine the way it was. A half-baked panel show with barely relevant games that was all a set-up to get people hell-rear end drunk and take the piss out of each other. That's all it ever was and all it ever should be.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fucker, but Buzzcocks kinda shifted to the shite when Amstell was on it. I mean, the guy's sharp and funny, but there seemed to be a marked shift in tone from the even-handed nastiness of old school Buzzcocks (i.e - everyone got the piss ripped out of them in the most dreadful manner all day every day) to a kind of "cool kid" bullying, where completely ephemeral "celebrities" like Get Cape Wear Cape Fly or Hot Chip or that oval office from Glasvegas or Miquita loving Oliver would get a little bit of tongue in cheek ribbing and a chance to pimp their latest endeavour because they're currently "in", while celebrities that T4 watchers find uncool (Tito Jackson, Bobby Davro) would get a completely unfair and unfunny savaging with no basis other than "Look at this fucker, how uncool is he?"

I mean, I guess it's a totally horse poo poo distinction to make, and it's probably only a thing that exists in my head, but it seemed like Buzzcocks went from being a show for angry old music loving bastards, baffled by the complete wank that the pop world occasionally chucks up, to being yet another pseudo-ironic tossfest for hipster gits who only want the latest NME sacred cows stuffing their conspicuous iPods. But that probably says more about me than the show.

EDIT: And Lauren Laverne is well shite now. She used to be cool. What happened, Lauren Laverne?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

jfjnpxmy posted:

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fucker, but Buzzcocks kinda shifted to the shite when Amstell was on it. I mean, the guy's sharp and funny, but there seemed to be a marked shift in tone from the even-handed nastiness of old school Buzzcocks (i.e - everyone got the piss ripped out of them in the most dreadful manner all day every day) to a kind of "cool kid" bullying, where completely ephemeral "celebrities" like Get Cape Wear Cape Fly or Hot Chip or that oval office from Glasvegas or Miquita loving Oliver would get a little bit of tongue in cheek ribbing and a chance to pimp their latest endeavour because they're currently "in", while celebrities that T4 watchers find uncool (Tito Jackson, Bobby Davro) would get a completely unfair and unfunny savaging with no basis other than "Look at this fucker, how uncool is he?"

I mean, I guess it's a totally horse poo poo distinction to make, and it's probably only a thing that exists in my head, but it seemed like Buzzcocks went from being a show for angry old music loving bastards, baffled by the complete wank that the pop world occasionally chucks up, to being yet another pseudo-ironic tossfest for hipster gits who only want the latest NME sacred cows stuffing their conspicuous iPods. But that probably says more about me than the show.

EDIT: And Lauren Laverne is well shite now. She used to be cool. What happened, Lauren Laverne?
I don't think it's so much about Amstell ripping apart a certain type of "celebrity", but I would say that when he became host the show did become less about the quiz and more about mocking the guests. I'm sure there are a lot of examples of people who were "in" who still got some pretty harsh treatment from Amstell, and vice versa.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

jfjnpxmy posted:

Her 6 music show is a bit weak, but at least she's not Fearne Cotton or Edith Bowman.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I've just seen on iplayer they've apparently made a second series of Lee Nelson's Well Good Show and are willing to put it on TV. What the gently caress, BBC?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Tsaedje posted:

I've just seen on iplayer they've apparently made a second series of Lee Nelson's Well Good Show and are willing to put it on TV. What the gently caress, BBC?
I know, jesus. Forget about how it just isn't funny to begin with, I just can't believe it's on the telly in 2011. It would have been outdated five years ago. A chav character, gently caress me.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Hoops posted:

I know, jesus. Forget about how it just isn't funny to begin with, I just can't believe it's on the telly in 2011. It would have been outdated five years ago. A chav character, gently caress me.
Take Ali G and replace every bit of substance with pure poo poo and you have Lee Nelson.

Guardian posted:

'BBC3's Lee Nelson's Well Good Show suffers from the fact that it's almost the exact scientific opposite of well good. Would more people watch it if it was called Lee Nelson's Borderline-Unwatchable Half Hour Of Despair? Probably not – but at least it'd be honest.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 2, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
God yeah, you're right. I would have said "Ali G did it better" but Ali G was on so long ago now I had forgotten about him.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think it's so much about Amstell ripping apart a certain type of "celebrity", but I would say that when he became host the show did become less about the quiz and more about mocking the guests. I'm sure there are a lot of examples of people who were "in" who still got some pretty harsh treatment from Amstell, and vice versa.

The loss of Lamarr was as damaging to the show as losing Littleton from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Deayton from Have I Got News For You, because they all occupied the straight man role. There's something grounding about having a host who wants to appear entirely above the games that they are presiding over (not to mention how much better autocue material is from someone who can tell it with a straight face).

In particular Lamarr was a lot like a good compère at a stand-up gig, putting down guests who were getting disruptive with a well aimed barb. Amstell never deployed his wit with the same direction to my mind, it drew attention to a guest instead. Still, not as bad as drafting in the same guests to host the show, which is more like letting the lunatics run the asylum...

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 2, 2011

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Is anyone watching 'Chickens' on C4?

I wasn't expecting much but it's literally The 1914 Inbetweeners

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

quote:

I wasn't expecting much but it's literally The 1914 Inbetweeners

It thought it kind of missed the mark really, the humor didn't really fit the subject matter. It just seemed like the inbetweeners put on 1900s costumes on for an episode.

Lotsatuned
Sep 30, 2008

Hoops posted:

God yeah, you're right. I would have said "Ali G did it better" but Ali G was on so long ago now I had forgotten about him.

The BBC tends to commission a show for 2 series, as per fawlty towers, and numerous others.

I'm guessing in this case, the fact it's take so long to get a second series going is due to the BBC realising it was shite and trying to wriggle out of it, and the production team and "star" (used loosely) wanted their paycheques so pushed for it, threatening breach of contract and all that. Well either that or the guy who commissioned the show in the first place fell on his rear end upwards and got a promotion and decidedd to push it to a second series, you know, to increase the 15-25, chav demographic that the BBC so desperately needs.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think it's more likely that his dad's an influential agent or otherwise works for the BBC, can't see any other reason he'd get commissioned in the first place.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I haven't felt the need to watch this Lee Nelson chap, is he really as bad as the adverts make it look?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

I haven't felt the need to watch this Lee Nelson chap, is he really as bad as the adverts make it look?

Yes.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
It's worse. It's the televisual equivalent of receiving a word-search book for slow children on your birthday and then finding out that all the puzzles have been done and some pages have clearly been used as toilet paper. It's like an onion, but an onion made of poo poo, and with each new layer a bit more gets under your fingernails until you realise that the future layers are never suddenly going to become edible; it's poo poo all the way down to it's rotten, lovely centre.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 3, 2011

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

I've only seen from Amstell onward, but I really enjoyed the show with him as host. I'm probably biased, though, because the Preston ep is my go-to for introducing/making new fans.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Was watching some old West Wings the other day and I forgot that it was sometimes funny and I thought "this show is pretty funny sometimes, not like the thick of it"

I don't know what the gently caress but it still kind of makes sense in my head.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Tsaedje posted:

I think it's more likely that his dad's an influential agent or otherwise works for the BBC, can't see any other reason he'd get commissioned in the first place.

Ah yes, the same reason we have to suffer being constantly reminded that Jack Whitehall exists.

Teddy Picker
Jun 30, 2007

Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive.
Fun story: Jack Whitehall once cornerer my friend's sister at a party, came on to her in the most arrogant way possible, and then repeatedly called her a bitch when she declined him.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

jfjnpxmy posted:

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fucker,

Yep

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I would like to fight Jack Whitehall. If anyone can arrange this that would be awesome.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

graventy posted:

I've only seen from Amstell onward, but I really enjoyed the show with him as host. I'm probably biased, though, because the Preston ep is my go-to for introducing/making new fans.

oh I still enjoyed it a lot, Simon Amstell was an excellent host just that the show was a bit different when he came onto it. I wouldn't say it was worse, there were some truly amazing episodes with Simon in charge

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The last few series of Buzzcocks with Lamarr were really bad. It was a good thing he left.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Wait, wait... "Epic Win"? :stare:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lotsatuned posted:

The BBC tends to commission a show for 2 series, as per fawlty towers

:eng101: The first series went out in 1975, but the second didn't appear until 1979.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Shanty posted:

Wait, wait... "Epic Win"? :stare:

EPIC WIN!

It's basically You Bet with a tired internet catchphrase, a celebrity panel, a cheesy trophy and Alexander Armstrong. Is it wrong that I think it's awesome?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gram-O-Phone posted:

EPIC WIN!

It's basically You Bet with a tired internet catchphrase, a celebrity panel, a cheesy trophy and Alexander Armstrong. Is it wrong that I think it's awesome?

Alexander Armstrong can present every quiz show until the end of time as far as I'm concerned so no, I guess not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Yet Another High-Stakes Ant and Dec Gameshow starts tonight. It's scheduled opposite Doctor Who so I guess they think it's really something special! Which is weird because from what I gather it seems to be a series of random choices and needlessly expensive stunts! I liked Poker Face. Poker Face was good why couldn't they have just kept doing that? :(

Also the last super dramatic gameshow I remember on ITV1 Saturday night primetime was The Bong Game Deal or No Deal The Colour of Money and it was shiiiiit so I really don't have much hope for this at all.