Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

In other news:

quote:

UNCLASSIFIED
THE CDS IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS RESTORING THE HISTORIC NAMES OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY (RCN), THE CANADIAN ARMY (CA), AND THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE (RCAF)
THE INITIATIVE TO RESTORE THE HISTORIC NAMES OF CANADA’S THREE FORMER SERVICES IS AIMED AT RESTORING AN IMPORTANT AND RECOGNIZABLE PART OF CANADA S MILITARY HERITAGE. THESE WERE THE SERVICES THAT FOUGHT AND EMERGED VICTORIOUS FROM THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND KOREA AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEFENCE OF EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA FROM THE EARLY DAYS OF THE COLD WAR. THESE WERE ALSO THE SERVICES THAT PAVED THE WAY IN TERMS OF INTERNATIONAL PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS
THE CHANGE WILL BE IMPLEMENTED BY RENAMING THE THREE ENVIRONMENTAL COMMANDS. MARITIME COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY LAND FORCE COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE CANADIAN ARMY AND AIR COMMAND WILL BE NAMED THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE. IN THIS WAY WE WILL REGAIN AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR COLLECTIVE HERITAGE WITHIN A UNIFIED EFFECTIVE CANADIAN FORCES COMMAND STRUCTURE
MORE DETAILED INFORMATION WILL BE PROMULGATED BY YOUR RESPECTIVE CHAINS OF COMMAND AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE
FOR GREATER CERTAINTY, ALL CURRENT RESPECTIVE COMMAND ORDERS, RULES, DIRECTIVES, INSTRUCTIONS OR SIMILAR INSTRUMENTS REMAIN IN FULL FORCE AND EFFECT UNTIL AMENDED TO REFLECT THE NAME CHANGE OF THE COMMAND

This CANFORGEN surprised the hell out of my office today. Expect an official announcement tomorrow.

I get to use the RCN post nominal again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So is the army just the "Canadian Army", without any royal poo poo attached to it, because it's comprised chiefly of foot-slogging peasants rather than dashing air force or navy chaps with their hats at jaunty angles?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Lassitude posted:

So is the army just the "Canadian Army", without any royal poo poo attached to it, because it's comprised chiefly of foot-slogging peasants rather than dashing air force or navy chaps with their hats at jaunty angles?

I would imagine that it's just following the naming conventions of the British military, eg British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marine Corps, Royal Air Force.

I've been trying to tease out why it's the British Army and not the Royal Army. I suspect that it has something to do with either it's relationship to Parliment, the New Model Army or who is placed at the top of it's chain of command.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
In the army it's the individual units that get Royal recognition. Royal Canadian Regiment, Princess Patricia's etc.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Veins McGee posted:

I would imagine that it's just following the naming conventions of the British military, eg British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marine Corps, Royal Air Force.

I've been trying to tease out why it's the British Army and not the Royal Army. I suspect that it has something to do with either it's relationship to Parliment, the New Model Army or who is placed at the top of it's chain of command.

If I remember correctly it has to do with the history of armies forming and disbanding constantly. The entire British army could be comprised of many different types of soldiers/units. The navy was officially formed by a king, so it gets the Royal distinction.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Paul Hellyer must be spinning in his flying saucer right now.

At this rate, in 50 years' time, I predict the return of the Black Watch the Grenadier Guards and the Rifles to active service.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

quote:

THESE WERE THE SERVICES THAT FOUGHT AND EMERGED VICTORIOUS FROM THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND KOREA AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEFENCE OF EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA FROM THE EARLY DAYS OF THE COLD WAR. THESE WERE ALSO THE SERVICES THAT PAVED THE WAY IN TERMS OF INTERNATIONAL PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS

Phase 2 of the plan is to resurrect Hitler to rebuild the Third Reich. Then we can finally go back to the glory days, trotting 'round the globe, saving and banging foreign babes in equal measure, all for Crown and Country.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lassitude posted:

Phase 2 of the plan is to resurrect Hitler to rebuild the Third Reich. Then we can finally go back to the glory days, trotting 'round the globe, saving and banging foreign babes in equal measure, all for Crown and Country.

Hell yeah I'd be down for that.

Wait a minute. Does that mean the Corn Flake is now an endangered badge? Thank god for that, nothing screams FNG than a cornflake.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
But how will we know who to treat as sub-humans without the cornflake?

edit: Actually, now I'm curious if down the line they'll stop mixed trade BMQs/SQ and go back to the old model of seperate boot camps for each branch.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 16, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

But how will we know who to treat as sub-humans without the cornflake?

edit: Actually, now I'm curious if down the line they'll stop mixed trade BMQs/SQ and go back to the old model of seperate boot camps for each branch.

I would kind of hope yes but at the same time that would mean less BMQ/SQs run every year. I like the USMC style of every member of the Canadian Military (Augh can't use CF anymore) being a rifleman. But then again for the most part non-army types won't really use rifles all that much, and could probably use more time on pistol training or something like that.

On another note I got to shoot a HK P8 the other day and holy poo poo I wish we had those instead of BHPs it was butter-smooth to operate in DA/SA.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

(Augh can't use CF anymore)

You sure can! They're only changing the name of the commands, still keeping the entirety branded the CF

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MA-Horus posted:

Hell yeah I'd be down for that.

Wait a minute. Does that mean the Corn Flake is now an endangered badge? Thank god for that, nothing screams FNG than a cornflake.

Don't forget that without them what are we supposed to tape to the nose of an arty shell when you've graduated to the Big Boy badge during the confirmation Ex, followed by gleefully firing it downrange?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

This is entirely a symbolic name change. Nothing will actually change day to day. Same combined boot camps, same cornflakes. As My Spirit Otter pointed out the CF remains unified.

All that happened is that we are now using the old names of the separate services that the CF 'voluntarily' stopped using after unification. We never actually 'disbanded' either the RCN or the RCAF (which is why the government didn't need to seek royal assent to start calling the Navy and Airforce Royal again), just renamed the commands and told everyone they couldn't use the old titles.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Don't forget that without them what are we supposed to tape to the nose of an arty shell when you've graduated to the Big Boy badge during the confirmation Ex, followed by gleefully firing it downrange?

True, so very true. I thought they stopped doing that, some horseshit about damage to the guns.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Lt. Jebus posted:

This is entirely a symbolic name change. Nothing will actually change day to day. Same combined boot camps, same cornflakes. As My Spirit Otter pointed out the CF remains unified.

All that happened is that we are now using the old names of the separate services that the CF 'voluntarily' stopped using after unification. We never actually 'disbanded' either the RCN or the RCAF (which is why the government didn't need to seek royal assent to start calling the Navy and Airforce Royal again), just renamed the commands and told everyone they couldn't use the old titles.

They didn't voluntarily change it. The newly formed 'elements' of the CF were styled commands and given distinctive names AIRCOM and MARCOM survived to this day, however some of the others changed around. Land Forces was originally Force Mobile Command, there was a Transport Command, and Communications Command was formed around the same time Transport Command was merged into AIRCOM. FMC was renamed to Land Forces Command under Chretien.

The second point about not needed renewed Royal Patronage is spot on, though.

Sure, it's symbolic, but then again a lot of other changes to the military have been symbolic. The introduction of DEUs and restoration of naval ranks under Mulroney were effectively symbolic changes, but I don't see anyone complaining that MARCOM hasn't been having green-suited generals for the past fifteen years.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Visited the Korean War History museum the other day

I find myself wishing the navy could buy Korean-designed ships because jaysus they're armed to the teeth. Fore and aft VLS, Harpoons, SPY/SPQ radar, two-car garage...massive ships.

Also saw bits of the Cheonan, gently caress that ship was just blown in HALF by that torpedo. Makes me wish the US had actually let off an ADCAP at Huron in that live-fire ex, it'd be interesting to see how one of our destroyers would handle a torpedo. Probably just as badly.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

PantlessBadger posted:

They didn't voluntarily change it. The newly formed 'elements' of the CF were styled commands and given distinctive names AIRCOM and MARCOM survived to this day, however some of the others changed around. Land Forces was originally Force Mobile Command, there was a Transport Command, and Communications Command was formed around the same time Transport Command was merged into AIRCOM. FMC was renamed to Land Forces Command under Chretien.

My "Voluntary" was meant to be taken sarcastically (as in not voluntary). Probably should have italicized. As for the comment about symbolism, my post was in response to the people that thought this was a real organizational change in the Forces.

MA-Horus posted:

Also saw bits of the Cheonan, gently caress that ship was just blown in HALF by that torpedo. Makes me wish the US had actually let off an ADCAP at Huron in that live-fire ex, it'd be interesting to see how one of our destroyers would handle a torpedo. Probably just as badly.

A single Mk-48 will pretty much instantly put down anything less than an Aircraft Carrier, which it would probably cripple and slowly sink as well unless the DC org is really on its game.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

My "Voluntary" was meant to be taken sarcastically (as in not voluntary).

I got the sarcasm, at least. I know that nobody in the CF does anything anything voluntarily

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

My Spirit Otter posted:

I got the sarcasm, at least. I know that nobody in the CF does anything anything voluntarily

Don't you just love getting VolunTold to do something at random when you're pretending to be busy for the exact purpose of not getting volunteered?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Don't you just love getting VolunTold to do something at random when you're pretending to be busy for the exact purpose of not getting volunteered?

Hell yes! Another week in Wainwright, sign me up! Oh wait, you already did!

To be fair, it's an extremely easy go for us. Sleeping in the shacks everynight, less sentry(that SLEEPS(in a tent) by the the guns everynight). Also using LG1 instead of M777, gently caress YES(Any artyman that has worked M777 and 105mm knows this is amazing). We also have 150 rounds between 2 guns. This is probably the most Gucci field ex I have been on in almost 2 years. I'm excited for a field ex, this coming from a person that was gung ho to get out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

To be fair, it's an extremely easy go for us. Sleeping in the shacks everynight, less sentry(that SLEEPS(in a tent) by the the guns everynight). Also using LG1 instead of M777, gently caress YES(Any artyman that has worked M777 and 105mm knows this is amazing). We also have 150 rounds between 2 guns. This is probably the most Gucci field ex I have been on in almost 2 years. I'm excited for a field ex, this coming from a person that was gung ho to get out.

gently caress you forever

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

On the ex I was just on we were augmenting some armoured guys. Mod tents, a canteen, barbecues EVERYWHERE. It felt so WRONG to me. :ohdear:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

if you're not living out of the back of your gun tractors while eating bags of apples and drinking from costco bottles of water because supply completely forgot to sterilize your water buffalo or procure enough IMPs for a week long ex you're not on ex.

Oh and firing howitzer blanks because "it's just the same as with rifle blanks!" gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you enjoy having no shitter paper because we TOOK IT ALL TO CLEAN THE GUNS.

MusicJustus
Apr 11, 2011

by angerbot
we are in this together! the civilian and soldier makes a neat teeter totter in which CANADA is allowed to balance on.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

MusicJustus posted:

we are in this together! the civilian and soldier makes a neat teeter totter in which CANADA is allowed to balance on.

What? How high are you?

Skillness622
Apr 9, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

Bit late I know, but it's because the British Army is maintained by an act of Parliament (The Army and more recently Armed Forces Acts) that needs to be renewed every so often rather than Royal assent as actually having a standing army breaches some other ludicrously old law or some bollocks like that. Our Commander-in-chief is still HM The Queen though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MusicJustus posted:

Right on, brother! Remeber to spread the word, we're parental liberators and not baby-killers

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Does anyone know about being a Nursing Officer in the reserves? I'm an RN and think the military may be something I am interested in. The problem is that most of my experience is in community health so I worry that I won't be a good candidate without ER/acute care experience. Will the military provide me with that training?

I found some information in this booklet: cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/00195_nursingofficer_res_en.pdf

I have pretty extensive experience working with individuals who have physical and mental health problems as a result of military service through my civilian job. Would these skills, though not direct med/surg skills, be beneficial in entering this position?

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 2, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Anyone else going to be at CFSAC? We'll be the team there not wearing our sweet team baseball hats. :smith:

We're taking part in NSCC at the moment in Connaught - the range is ridiiiiiculously large. Today we ran the FIBUA matches, which included a rapid shoot at 25m - 3x3sec exposures, in which time you have to fire 10 shots on a fig 14 (hun's head). Watching the rangers do that with what amounts to a museum piece is awesome. Some of them even managed to get 9 out of 10 shots on target.

Also, falling plates matches are awesome. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Ghost of Castro posted:

Does anyone know about being a Nursing Officer in the reserves? I'm an RN and think the military may be something I am interested in. The problem is that most of my experience is in community health so I worry that I won't be a good candidate without ER/acute care experience. Will the military provide me with that training?

I found some information in this booklet: cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/00195_nursingofficer_res_en.pdf

I have pretty extensive experience working with individuals who have physical and mental health problems as a result of military service through my civilian job. Would these skills, though not direct med/surg skills, be beneficial in entering this position?

I've met army medics whose day jobs are IT and computer programming. Your prior medical experience will be useful when you're learning by firehose at medic school, but nobody will care and it certainly won't negatively impact the recruitment process. The military doesn't expect to recruit and train people already working in a given trade (like medics and pilots). There are some exceptions like dental and legal trades but those are freak occurrences.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I had a friend in basic who was an RN. She told me that she re-learned everything in DP1, so I guess it doesn't matter what you know. She gets a real kick from her job though, so it must be at least decent. On a seperate note, does anyone know if the new combats we are getting are button up or zipper style?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

I had a friend in basic who was an RN. She told me that she re-learned everything in DP1, so I guess it doesn't matter what you know. She gets a real kick from her job though, so it must be at least decent. On a seperate note, does anyone know if the new combats we are getting are button up or zipper style?

AFAICT they're zipper and velcro, at least from the powerpoint earlier in the thread. Apparently you can be injured by falling on a button :shepface:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

AFAICT they're zipper and velcro, at least from the powerpoint earlier in the thread. Apparently you can be injured by falling on a button :shepface:

I didn't see any mention of that in the ppt earlier in the thread. However, if it is zipper I'm already jizzin' my panties. No more will I get yelled at for taking my shirt off like a sweater. Under my last BSM that was actually an issue.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I didn't see any mention of that in the ppt earlier in the thread. However, if it is zipper I'm already jizzin' my panties. No more will I get yelled at for taking my shirt off like a sweater. Under my last BSM that was actually an issue.

Man I don't think I ever unbuttoned my tunic, why would you? I hate nit-picky SMs, find something legit to bitch about and then work at it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Your tunic buttons hairs is in violation of the grooming standard.

For real though, what kind of scrub ever undoes all the buttons? That's the first corner anyone in the CF probably learns to cut.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Thanks for the responses, it's really appreciated. I have been feeling the need to re-orient my life and career so maybe the reserves will be an opportunity to challenge myself.

What is DP1?

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
DP1 is your first career course, I think. I get confused with all the name changes.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, this is correct.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Actually I don't mind loosing the buttons. I was throwing a bundled up cam net off a LAV because we needed to re-tie it and it caught on the button on my sleeve and almost took me with it. If my combats hadn't torn I would have been in a world of hurt. Plus I can't even count how many push-ups we had to do on course because people had undone buttons on their combats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ghost of Castro posted:

Thanks for the responses, it's really appreciated. I have been feeling the need to re-orient my life and career so maybe the reserves will be an opportunity to challenge myself.

What is DP1?

My cousin just finished Basic Military Officer Qualification and he's going RN. But, unfortunately he knows basically as much as you do about what it will be like. I can help answer questions you may have, but he probably does not know much.