Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

In case anyone is wondering, the full soundtrack has 214 tracks because of the remixes.

:catstare:

And also has tasteful box art.

Is there really a person out there who looks at that soundtrack and goes "Yes, this is what I want. I want 6 discs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin remixes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Policenaut posted:

Is there really a person out there who looks at that soundtrack and goes "Yes, this is what I want. I want 6 discs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin remixes."

:sweatdrop:

It would complement my The Errors of Their Youth CD.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
But the music. :nyoron:

Also!

e: Be careful with the sidebar, one track may appear that's a spoiler.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 3, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also!

None of those are links to the Satomi Tadashi songs.
They own, and I would buy six discs of Satomi Tadashi remixes.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

quote:

Portable P4

quote:

Persona fighting game
Shut up and take my money.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

TurnipFritter posted:

That first version is just so pleasant. Makes me think of a nice picnic.

Yeah, I'm just clicking on random songs from the soundtrack showing up in the related bar and all of the songs are either really good or hilarious. Going to have to find this soundtrack in stock somewhere.

And behold, the only time I've laughed at a youtube comment. Reading it as the song begins is just something.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Magikoopa189 posted:

Wait, you honestly had no problems with the Izanami reveal?

The entire message of Persona 4 was "truth only has value if you discover it for yourself". Making the true ending easier to find would have kinda cheapened that. In other ways it wasn't handled as well as it could have been (it did feel a little rushed), but being non-obvious isn't really one of the problems with it. At any rate, finding the true ending is less frustrating and counterintuitive than having to give exactly the right series of responses to avoid the bad ending.

vvv yeah, good point, spoilered

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 3, 2011

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Speaking of,

Please spoiler that, both of you.

Seriously everyone, be careful with this stuff.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 3, 2011

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I was pretty disappointed with the (P4 ending spoilers) Izanami reveal. They could have just as easily used (P2 spoilers I guess)Nyarlathotep instead, the story would have worked out the same way and it would tie it back thematically to the old games. After all the fights with the shadows and what not, it's what I thought they were leading up to.

chrimbus granger fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 3, 2011

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BAD END IN P3P.

That was less depressing than I thought it was gonna be, also I can't brute force the reaper since he takes like 80 damage from my level 70 guys just spams megidolaon and murder everyone in a single hit. So I guess I can't complete that quest, oh well, perhaps on the next playthrough.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Alteisen posted:

BAD END IN P3P.

That was less depressing than I thought it was gonna be, also I can't brute force the reaper since he takes like 80 damage from my level 70 guys just spams megidolaon and murder everyone in a single hit. So I guess I can't complete that quest, oh well, perhaps on the next playthrough.

You could just chuck an Armageddon at him and go about the rest of your day. You should have enough jewels to make one by the end of the game.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Reaper tends to only use Megidolaon repeatedly if you use Makarakarn or Tetrakarn. If you can't get Odin, you might still try Siegfried and Vorpal Blade (on a day where you have Great status). Junpei learns Vorpal Blade too when he hits Lv75. Shiva with Pralaya also works, but you need to be Lv82 just to summon him.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Shut up and take my money.

I'm with you.

Also, sweet avatar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll take that Persona 4 port and fighting game with a Naoto, Adachi and a bear.

...I pray that fighting game has 2 of those 3 things.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I hope the Persona fighting game will be more accessible than BlazBlue. In the latter, in order to play a new character with any sort of efficiency you had to record into muscle memory a bunch of long hair trigger combos, which effectively meant you had to spend a couple hours in training mode or resign yourself to play terribly. It was so bad, they had to implement an auto-combo feature that you could use to simply see the god damned story mode content of each character.

I have a weird fascination with fighting games despite being terrible at them generally so I'll probably buy it, but I hope ASW will nudge The Ultimate towards Street Fighter's accessibility rather than BlazBlue's model.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You have to spend a couple hours in training mode with a character in any fighter to not be terrible with them. Even in Street Fighter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I hope the Persona fighting game will be more accessible than BlazBlue. In the latter, in order to play a new character with any sort of efficiency you had to record into muscle memory a bunch of long hair trigger combos, which effectively meant you had to spend a couple hours in training mode or resign yourself to play terribly. It was so bad, they had to implement an auto-combo feature that you could use to simply see the god damned story mode content of each character.

This is basically the fighting game genre.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

First, that's every fighter ever. Second, man, I'd hate to see what you think of GG. BB was more or less made to be an accessible alternative to it, without crazy stuff like Clean Hits and so on to push players away.

Anyways, I force myself to buy every ASW fighter, and the fact that this one is P4 related and done by the BB team makes me very hype for it.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 3, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Stuff

This is nice but it is probably the least likely thing to happen. The latest version of BB might not be good but it does have a decent training/trial mode that explains system mechanics (if I remember correctly), so it makes it easy to learn how to play the game/learn your characters "easy" combos.

This will hopefully be in the fighting game if arc decides to not be lazy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also!

e: Be careful with the sidebar, one track may appear that's a spoiler.

I've always been partial to these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnJlhDZIak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1w8b6xIWJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaQ6F4XFkbA

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there going to be an option to use the PS1-style music? I've always been partial to it.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Yep. I believe you can change it in-game too, if you wish.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Heath posted:

Is there going to be an option to use the PS1-style music? I've always been partial to it.

Yes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Verbal posted:

I was pretty disappointed with the (P4 ending spoilers) Izanami reveal. They could have just as easily used (P2 spoilers I guess)Nyarlathotep instead, the story would have worked out the same way and it would tie it back thematically to the old games. After all the fights with the shadows and what not, it's what I thought they were leading up to.
I think P4's story was better than P3's overall, if only for the pacing(P3's story arc feels like "new school new dorm oh poo poo weird poo poo is happening(April)->Kill full moon monster. Rinse. Repeat. (May-October)->Chidori's dead, this is all Mitsuru's grandfather's fault, and oh by the way an eldritch abonomination is going to kill everyone(Last three months of the game)", whereas P4 at least develops the story a bit each and every month). But the true ending did feel somewhat...poorly done. I think part of the problem is that it seems odd for the MC to wait several months after beating disco eyeball before going "wait, something was up with that gas station attendant I saw once last year!". If there was, say, a day in December or Jaunary after the normal ending but before the MC was supposed to go home for the "something's still up here" to sink in, it probably would have flowed better.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I'm still trying to beat Persona 3:FES after years of having a copy I haven't done much with. I always feel like I get bogged down with social link stuff and worry I'm going to miss out on something unless I follow a guide 100% of the time but recently someone told me the game was much more enjoyable just doing whatever links I enjoyed. I guess he's right but I'm still early in the game.

I can't get an ultimate persona of a respective tarot card unless I max the associated s.link, right?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I can't get an ultimate persona of a respective tarot card unless I max the associated s.link, right?

Right. There are also some late-game persona that require some of those for fusion, so that means you have even less available to you in the end.

Max S. Link items do carry over by New Game+ though, so if you don't max them all in the first playthrough you can still fuse that ultimate Persona in your next game. They carry over even if you are playing the other gender's story.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Thanks. Also regarding the tired status: I'm playing FES (not the psp version) so can I just keep going in and out of a bathroom until I'm cured or is it completely random? I've been going in and out of the same bathroom 10 times so far but I'm still tired.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Thanks. Also regarding the tired status: I'm playing FES (not the psp version) so can I just keep going in and out of a bathroom until I'm cured or is it completely random? I've been going in and out of the same bathroom 10 times so far but I'm still tired.

IIRC, the chance to remove Tired status in the bathroom is determined the FIRST time you enter the bathroom in a day, but then it's set until you move the clock forward. Meaning if it didn't remove Tired status the first time, it won't do it subsequently.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Justice posted:

Speaking of which, Persona 2 for PSP comes out in a couple weeks. Have you all pre-ordered yet? :raise:

Pre-ordered since early August. :)

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Verbal posted:

What you mentioned in your spoilers just reminded me of this but I always felt that (P4 and SUPER OLD Megami Tensei spoilers) the Izanami and Izanagi thing in this game was a callback to the very first Megami Tensei game where, as far as I know, the hero and heroine were reincarnations of Izanagi and Izanami themselves. The name of the game itself and consequently the series even refers specifically to Izanami/the heroine. Sure, Persona's just a spin off, and Izanami's role is really different in P4 but I always thought it was cool that P4 went back to those two central figures.

As for whether I figured out the true end on my own or not, no I didn't figure out how to get it on my own HOWEVER the instant I saw the main character's starting Persona was Izanagi I was expecting her to show up all game, so when she hadn't yet I knew something was probably up. In fact, I probably would've been ticked off if she hadn't shown up somehow. It'd be a missed opportunity with the MC's Persona being what it was and the history this franchise has with those two! That being said, while I like a lot of aspects of the True Ending, it really could've been a lot better handled. Then again, that can be said for several aspects of the story in general.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I've been playing Devil Survivor Overclocked and loving it. It's my first SMT game. Anyways, I have a few questions. I'm early on Day 3, but my questions are more related to leveling / fusing:

-Are the Elementals worth it? They seem to be pretty weak and they require the 1000 Macca fee to fuse. Will they get better once they start reaching a reasonable level?

-What's the best way to level up low-level demons? Any time I try to bring them into combat they just get oneshotted by something and never get any EXP. Is there an easy way to get them to learn "Watchful?" Or maybe a way to fight lower level enemies to ease them into my party?

-What does the "Unique" tag on some demons mean? I fused Thor and saw that he had one, but it looks like I could just fuse another. I didn't see any difference between demons that don't have the unique tag.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've been playing Devil Survivor Overclocked and loving it. It's my first SMT game. Anyways, I have a few questions. I'm early on Day 3, but my questions are more related to leveling / fusing:

-Are the Elementals worth it? They seem to be pretty weak and they require the 1000 Macca fee to fuse. Will they get better once they start reaching a reasonable level?

-What's the best way to level up low-level demons? Any time I try to bring them into combat they just get oneshotted by something and never get any EXP. Is there an easy way to get them to learn "Watchful?" Or maybe a way to fight lower level enemies to ease them into my party?

-What does the "Unique" tag on some demons mean? I fused Thor and saw that he had one, but it looks like I could just fuse another. I didn't see any difference between demons that don't have the unique tag.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Elementals are not good on their own. What they serve to do is allow you to boost (or reduce) a demon to a new demon in the same Race as that demon. If it is a boost or a reduction depends on the demon and element. Also, fusing two Elements together gives you a Mitama. A Mitama will boost the stats of a pre-existing demon when fused with it and allows you to transfer any skills on that Mitama to the demon. This is extremely game-breaking but also very expensive. It's generally not worth it to do so unless you're on a New Game +.

-If your demon is too low level, fuse it into something else. Demons are not meant to be kept but instead you keep moving them on. On a New Game + there are ways you can keep your favorite demon around if you want, but during a first playthrough you should just be fusing up to new demons. There is no real way to effectively level up a demon and once they have all their skills there is no reason to.

-Unique means you can only have one of that demon. If you try to fuse another it will stop you.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Haifisch posted:

I think P4's story was better than P3's overall, if only for the pacing(P3's story arc feels like "new school new dorm oh poo poo weird poo poo is happening(April)->Kill full moon monster. Rinse. Repeat. (May-October)->Chidori's dead, this is all Mitsuru's grandfather's fault, and oh by the way an eldritch abonomination is going to kill everyone(Last three months of the game)", whereas P4 at least develops the story a bit each and every month).

I disagree because P4's story "development" boiled down to, every time, hey a new character -> we have to warn them about the Midnight Channel! -> oh they ended up on the Midnight Channel anyway -> welp let's go save them -> but only after waiting a couple of weeks because there's no rush and I need to attend drama club -> sweet, a new party member -> who gives us an insight to the case we probably already knew (unless it's Naoto, who renders the rest of the team suddenly and inexplicably stupid and becomes an exposition device). And then suddenly it's almost the end of the year and everything gets complicated in ways no one could have guessed, but the pacing is again hosed up because you can wait three weeks to save Nanako!

I didn't play P3 until P3P came out and I was seriously worried about its story being more repetitive because of the framing device, but I found it was a lot more effective being forced to wait for the full moon than getting to fart around for a couple weeks because the fog wouldn't roll in until x date.

And yes, I had issues with P4's true ending, though not the same issues as some other people had.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

What Impatom said, fuse em cause demons will by design start to fall by the wayside. Each additional level from their starting point takes more experience than the last, you can probably check this out with your own dudes but for example I've got a lvl 8 pixie that needs 1008 xp to level, while a lvl 7 Moh Shuvuu only needs 196. Obviously those are different species or whatever but you get the point

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Verbal posted:

Didn't the weird theology teacher give you the whole story of the Japanese Shintoism tale on the Tatsumi Port island trip?

It's not like it just came out of nowhere.

Also the tale of Izanagi and Orpheus are similar. :eng101:

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

IIRC, the chance to remove Tired status in the bathroom is determined the FIRST time you enter the bathroom in a day, but then it's set until you move the clock forward. Meaning if it didn't remove Tired status the first time, it won't do it subsequently.

If you really need to improve your status, you can save before using the bathroom and reload until it works.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Hey Megaten fans! This stream will be showing Catherine tournament grand finals like...eventually. I'm completely serious. It's the final event so it'll probably be awhile from when I posted this. http://www.twitch.tv/finestKO

They're also running finals for Guilty Gear and Blazblue, so if you wanna see what the Persona fighting game will most resemble now's a good opportunity.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

DeathBySpoon posted:

It's not a good idea to keep demons with a low base level around. The reason for that is that the difference between the base level of an attacking demon and that of the defending demon is a factor in damage calculation. So despite how much you like her, your level 15 pixie is going to get her rear end kicked by a demon with a base level of 15.

It's not very apparent unless you hang on to a demon for very long, but you'll certainly notice it when you start a new game+ and Loki is doing several thousand points of damage with Megiddo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So what the hell are the actual victory conditions of Midori battle on day 3 of DSO? After you attack Beldr and can't do poo poo, the condition changes to "MC and Midori must escape." Knowing this was coming, I purposefully had the MC near the south end and Midori switched with Yuzu so she was much closer to the exit. On the second or so turn, I had both Midori and the MC out of there, and Keisuke eventually made it as well. Atsuro and Yuzu did both get killed, but the victory condition didn't say poo poo about them. It's just pissing me off because I've failed this mission multiple times and this time I actually had done what they wanted me to, and then when Yuzu got killed a turn before she would have escaped it came up as mission failed.