Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's one that I'm going to put some of it in spoiler boxes:

In the cult classic slasher film Sleepaway Camp, I generally get the twist ending: While we're supposed to assume that that Angela's long-thought-dead brother, Peter, was doing all the killings, it turns out that 'Angela' is really Peter.

But here's the thing I don't get: What am I supposed to be seeing in that practically-iconic face? And what is that wheezing noise that makes the ending scene more disturbing?

Or was it basically for that reason, to be disturbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one that I'm going to put some of it in spoiler boxes:

In the cult classic slasher film Sleepaway Camp, I generally get the twist ending: While we're supposed to assume that that Angela's long-thought-dead brother, Peter, was doing all the killings, it turns out that 'Angela' is really Peter.

But here's the thing I don't get: What am I supposed to be seeing in that practically-iconic face? And what is that wheezing noise that makes the ending scene more disturbing?

Or was it basically for that reason, to be disturbing?

Her face was superimposed on that body in post, giving her an exaggerated, almost alien proportion. And the wheezing was just her freaking out and being feral and crazy because she's both caught in the act and caught for what she actually is. It's just meant to be really disturbing, and it totally is. That ending still gives me chills, even when I see it coming a mile away.

P.S. If you're in the mood for another insane horror twist ending, check out the movie Happy Birthday To Me. It's not a particularly good movie, but the ending is great.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 4, 2011

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've watched The Princess Bride dozens of times and always wondered if this was a goof - when Fezzik meets up with drunk Inigo in the Theives Forest, and he sobers him up, how did Fezzik know about Count Rugen being the six-fingered man? At that point in the movie the only person who'd made the six-fingered-connection was Wesley, and he certainly never had a chance to explain it to Fezzik.

I read the book years ago but never noted how the Count Rugen reveal was handled there.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I just imagined that he heard about it by being on the brute squard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You mean by being the brute squad.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
What are some movies with blatant use of dutch angles, besides the ones listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Thor.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Schweinhund posted:

Thor.

Seriously, halfway through I was like, "What the gently caress is Branagh trying to accomplish here?" It was funny, because not two hours before the movie, I was discussing The Third Man with my friend and how much I loved the use of canted shots. It was just kind of baffling in Thor, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

codyclarke posted:

What are some movies with blatant use of dutch angles, besides the ones listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

Most everything by Brian De Palma.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Does anyone know what the lyrics to the song at the start of Chomet's The Illusionist are?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

codyclarke posted:

I feel like Bride of Frankenstein had a bunch.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is Netflix worth it for "I want to watch movies on my computer with a minimum of fuss" perspective? I've been hesitant to jump on the bandwagon since I tend to skew towards a "buy the DVD for all the bells and whistles" kind of movie-watcher.

It just seems too good to be true. 7.99 a month, movies at the touch of a screen? There has to be some catch or six that they aren't mentioning on the page.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MisterBibs posted:

Is Netflix worth it for "I want to watch movies on my computer with a minimum of fuss" perspective? I've been hesitant to jump on the bandwagon since I tend to skew towards a "buy the DVD for all the bells and whistles" kind of movie-watcher.

It just seems too good to be true. 7.99 a month, movies at the touch of a screen? There has to be some catch or six that they aren't mentioning on the page.

No its a good deal, the selection of movies and the actual audio/visual quality of the videos can be iffy but its 8 bucks a month, as long as you watch a couple movies its easily worth it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I recently dropped the streaming service because the selection is pretty disappointing, but it is very nice to have free access to tons of movies whenever you want.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The "too good to be true bit" is the fact that netflix instant doesn't tend to have many new releases but really it's quite good. For instance, my instant queue is 300-some movies and tv shows long. And I'm sure you can still get a free month-long trial to test the waters. Finally, check out https://www.instantwatcher.com to see what's recently been added, what's popular and what's leaving soon. It's really helpful.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

FishBulb posted:

No its a good deal, the selection of movies and the actual audio/visual quality of the videos can be iffy but its 8 bucks a month, as long as you watch a couple movies its easily worth it.

Basically this. It costs a few bucks to rent a movie anyway. If you feel like you'll use it for at least three movies a month you'll be ahead. The selection, while by no means expansive, is certainly eclectic and if you can't find a new release you want to watch there will almost certainly be an older or more obscure gem.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

the Bunt posted:

I recently dropped the streaming service because the selection is pretty disappointing

Yeah, I signed up on the free trial and this is what I'm experiencing. "Hey, I haven't seen that movie in a... oh, not streamed. Well, I was curious about seeing... oh, not streamed."

EDIT: I should be clear that I'm not really disappointed or anything; just my initial experience.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 5, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've had a ridiculous amount of scratched discs lately with Netflix. Probably gonna switch to streaming only. Anyone else have this problem?

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

codyclarke posted:

I've had a ridiculous amount of scratched discs lately with Netflix. Probably gonna switch to streaming only. Anyone else have this problem?

I've had two out of the last three blu rays be scratched, and one was unplayable.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Basically this. It costs a few bucks to rent a movie anyway. If you feel like you'll use it for at least three movies a month you'll be ahead. The selection, while by no means expansive, is certainly eclectic and if you can't find a new release you want to watch there will almost certainly be an older or more obscure gem.

Yeah, exactly. I use Netflix's DVD rental almost exclusively for older and lesser-known stuff. The recommendation engine is really nice for this - I've seen a poo poo-ton of movies I didn't know existed.

I'll say that the streaming selection is getting better all the time however - even though I'm limited by my hearing problem to only stuff that has subtitles, I've still got over 100 titles in my streaming queue. I was loving floored the other day when I found Michael Mann's The Keep on streaming with subtitles, for instance. (I had been meaning to see it for a while but the DVD is out of print/not subbed)

Kunzelman posted:

I've had two out of the last three blu rays be scratched, and one was unplayable.

Had a DVD about a month ago come with a gigantic "crack" in it, then I just sent back one last week with the same problem. I don't know how the gently caress people do this poo poo to DVDs. Do they just figure "gently caress it, it's a rental" and proceed to spike the loving thing into the ground like they just won the Super Bowl?

Had kind of bad luck with that recently but considering the DVD turnover rate with me, I'm not really complaining much about Netflix since they are on-the-motherfucking-ball with customer service every time I've had a problem. They sent me replacements right away after I filled out the complaint form and I love the fact that they email you every time they ship or receive a DVD.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 5, 2011

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Encryptic posted:

Yeah, exactly. I use Netflix's DVD rental almost exclusively for older and lesser-known stuff. The recommendation engine is really nice for this - I've seen a poo poo-ton of movies I didn't know existed.

The Netflix recommendation engine is usually pretty good.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

SaintFu posted:

The Netflix recommendation engine is usually pretty good.

Yeah, that is true. I've rated 1295 movies so far (yeah, I know that's probably small-time compared to some CD regulars) and it still trips up now and then. For whatever reason, the suggestions for Action and Horror still ask me to rate more even though I've seen a number of both recently.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Netflix instant is particularly good for TV shows too, since you never have to go through that rigamarole of "send away for disc 1 of show x, send it back, wait for disc 2, repeat"

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

codyclarke posted:

Her face was superimposed on that body in post, giving her an exaggerated, almost alien proportion. And the wheezing was just her freaking out and being feral and crazy because she's both caught in the act and caught for what she actually is. It's just meant to be really disturbing, and it totally is. That ending still gives me chills, even when I see it coming a mile away.

P.S. If you're in the mood for another insane horror twist ending, check out the movie Happy Birthday To Me. It's not a particularly good movie, but the ending is great.

I absolutely LOVE Sleepaway Camp but for me the ending of Pieces really ups the ante for horror endings that come from nowhere. I recommend watching the entire thing but if you want just the ending, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwullPIrJY#t=5m20s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

codyclarke posted:

Earlier this year I had 3-4 cracked discs in a one month period and it was really annoying. It was as if the mailman was taking a hammer to them.

Overall the ratio of damaged discs I've checked out from the library and local video stores is worse than Netflix.

I just checked and I've received 101 discs from Netflix and four were bad.

Scratched discs:
Training Day

Cracked discs:
The Pursuit of Happyness
Judas Priest: Live Vengeance '82
High Noon

I can live with 96% reliability.

What really turned me off about the local video stores was their recommendation to "flip the disc over" if it wasn't playing right.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To add to the ADR chat from the last page, I just rewatched Godfather and holy poo poo it had some really bad ADR. The two that stuck out to me were Barzini during the peace summit and Connie's screaming at Michael over her husband getting killed.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Riptor posted:

Netflix instant is particularly good for TV shows too, since you never have to go through that rigamarole of "send away for disc 1 of show x, send it back, wait for disc 2, repeat"

Preaching to the choir here. I burned through a shitload of TV over the last month including 4 seasons of Weeds, 2 seasons of Parks and Recreation and the first season of Archer. TV is officially ruined for me...

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's generally accepted that Saturday Night Fever was a critical deconstruction and dismantling of the shallowness of the disco era, right? I thought it was going to be a good times dance flick, since I see it in music movie lists with Xanadu. Boy was I surprised. I guess the PG/tv version cut down on the number of rapes, and it's all that people remember?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Factor Mystic posted:

It's generally accepted that Saturday Night Fever was a critical deconstruction and dismantling of the shallowness of the disco era, right? I thought it was going to be a good times dance flick, since I see it in music movie lists with Xanadu. Boy was I surprised. I guess the PG/tv version cut down on the number of rapes, and it's all that people remember?

It's just a case of people judging a book by its cover. It's the same thing with Seventh Seal, first time viewers are always surprised that it has comedic elements.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

It's just a case of people judging a book by its cover. It's the same thing with Seventh Seal, first time viewers are always surprised that it has comedic elements.

And everyone expects Citizen Kane to be really long.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

penismightier posted:

And everyone expects Citizen Kane to be really long.

Just watched Kane for the first time a couple months ago, and not only is it not as long as expected, it feels shorter than it actually is because of how tight it is. Great, great movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Was watching The Escapist, and I can't figure out, what is that stuff on Brian Cox' chest?

He doesn't wash it off. Is it a burn or something?

Zuriel147
May 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

His line to Nedry was "I don't blame people for their mistakes...but I do ask that they pay for them." Which I guess could still mean anything.

If I remember correctly, the reason Nedry is pissy with Hammond (from the book) is that he'd been contracted to design the park systems without being told the exact operating parameters. Since the dinosaurs and whatnot are supposed to be super duper secret, Nedry didn't have enough information to do the job properly once he won the contract. I think he also had to deal with something like 10 Kray supercomputers or something (I forget) running in tandem, and so on (for the gene sequencing).

In addition to this, Hammond didn't know what his requirements were likely to be until the park was built in some respects, so he kept adding work for Nedry to do. Nedry was then in a dispute with Hammond over the extra features that he kept having to add, and wanting paying for them. Ergo, hold on to your butts, clever girl, dinosaurs rule the earth.

Newm... Nedry!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What is the point of Godfather I and II?

Before, my understanding of the second film was that they juxtaposed Vito's rise to power and the attrition of Michael's family to show how things went well for Vito because he cared about people on a personal level and that Michael's coldness caused his family to fall apart. However, watching them again recently, it occurred to me that a lot of the poo poo Michael had to deal with (esp Tessio's betrayal) was brewing during Vito's reign, and maybe Vito was just blind to it or lucky that it didn't come to a head during his lifetime.

How would you guys interpret the comparison of Vito and Michael in the second film?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

foodfight posted:

Watched Quantum of Solace last night. How in the hell does James Bond make it from Australia to Italy after M cancels his passports and credit cards?

Actually he goes from Austria to Italy. Not too much of a stretch except for assuming that its viewers have a knowledge of European geography.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Cacator posted:

Actually he goes from Austria to Italy. Not too much of a stretch except for assuming that its viewers have a knowledge of European geography.

Oh of course, it would be way easier to travel from Austria to Italy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

What is the point of Godfather I and II?
I don't know that it makes sense to talk about a `point'. The Godfather films are a character study. The first film traces the conversion of the main protagonist---Michael---from a clean-cut, all-American good guy into the head of a criminal syndicate. The second film follows how being the head of a criminal syndicate turns him from being basically a nice guy forced by circumstances to make compromises into someone most people would recognise as simply evil.

I think the first film is really adept as walking the audience through the steps which lead Michael to being head of the Corleone family. At each step Michael seems (at least plausibly) justified in his actions---becoming initially involved in the family business because of a desire to protect his father, for example. I think most audiences would consider many of Michael's actions admirable in at least some way.

In most of the first film, many of the characters around Michael provide contrast for what we understand to be his basic character. Sonny is hot-headed and philandering, the enemies of the family are treacherous, and so on. Michael looks balanced by comparison. But in the second film we start to see the opposite---Michael is cool, but he's also ruthless and vindictive.

I agree that there are intentional parallels drawn between Vito's rise and Michael's descent. I think there is a similar parallel drawn between the `old school' mafia that Vito (and guys like Frank Pentangeli) were part of and the `new school' mafia that people like Michael are a harbinger of. But the narrative reason these things are there are to illuminate what's going on with Michael's character.

This is obviously a subject on which a lot could be written, and I'm not trying to cover it all here. But if you want to know what the `point' of the films is, that's what I think it is. It's a character study, and in particular a character study about power corrupting, a fall from grace.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's about what I mean by point.

Up until recently I assumed that Vito and Michael are shown in parallel in order to show that Vito was doing things right and that Michael is doing things wrong.

However, upon rewatching recently, it occurred to me that a lot of the betrayals that happened to Michael were betrayals that were brewing while Vito was alive: Tessio, Vito's old friend, was planning to betray the Corleones to Barzini while Vito was alive. Carlo betrays the Corleones to Barzini during Vito's reign.

It kind of weakened the idea that Vito was doing things right, so now I'm wondering, if Vito wasn't always doing things right, what is the point of comparing Vito to Michael?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

It kind of weakened the idea that Vito was doing things right, so now I'm wondering, if Vito wasn't always doing things right, what is the point of comparing Vito to Michael?
Because Vito and Michael are different in ways other than their effectiveness as mafia bosses.

More narrowly, I think Barzini is there to be a foil for Vito in the same way Vito is a foil for Michael. Barzini is the backstabbing conspirator to Vito's beneficent, Solomonic patriarch. The film actually makes the point---through Michael's exposition---that the people betraying the Corleone family were doing it not because they were necessarily bad or interested in betraying Vito himself---Barzini was just manipulating circumstances such that betraying the Corleone family appeared to be the most rational choice. The proximate cause for the conflict is Corleone's unwillingness to become involved in the drug trade, a position I presume that audiences in general would be sympathetic toward.

Put in slightly different terms, Vito ends up looking better because he's as good as he is despite competing against guys like Barzini. It may well be that Barzini is the better mafia Don, but that's not the point. We like Vito in spite of the fact that he runs a criminal syndicate, not because he does it or does it particularly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

The proximate cause for the conflict is Corleone's unwillingness to become involved in the drug trade, a position I presume that audiences in general would be sympathetic toward.

This clears up everything for me. Thanks for the insight