Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

thank you by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Transition by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HP5+, stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 90 minutes. Shot with a Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 lens (for the first one, and I think for the second one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Cool, what ISO were that rated?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

atomicthumbs posted:

thank you by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Hey, Berkeley BART. You a student at Cal?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Hey, Berkeley BART. You a student at Cal?

No, I live in Marin. I don't have a car, so I had to take BART to Berkeley to go to Looking Glass Photo to buy the developer that this was developed in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Things that rule: walking into a very small town CVS pharmacy for razors and toothpaste, and finding two rolls of 400 Tri-X for $2 apiece :toot:

They had three 4-packs of Kodak 200 for $5 each so I snagged those as well. Guessing they're getting rid of whatever they had left. Hard to complain with prices like that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

atomicthumbs posted:

No, I live in Marin. I don't have a car, so I had to take BART to Berkeley to go to Looking Glass Photo to buy the developer that this was developed in.

Speaking of Looking Glass, how's the selection on developers over there? I'm probably gonna go there in the next week or two.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Speaking of Looking Glass, how's the selection on developers over there? I'm probably gonna go there in the next week or two.

adonal (rodinal), acufine, diafine, d-76, xtol, microfine, perceptol, edwal thing, basic photographic chemicals for building your own developer, more stuff, etc

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

DJExile posted:

Things that rule: walking into a very small town CVS pharmacy for razors and toothpaste, and finding two rolls of 400 Tri-X for $2 apiece :toot:

They had three 4-packs of Kodak 200 for $5 each so I snagged those as well. Guessing they're getting rid of whatever they had left. Hard to complain with prices like that.

in santa cruz cvs trix is 7.50 a roll, so i steal them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

OjaiYoda posted:

in santa cruz cvs trix is 7.50 a roll, so i steal them.

You know Arista Premium 400 is Tri-X, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You know Arista Premium 400 is Tri-X, right?

Exactly. I bought a 10-pack of that for like $20 or something from Freestyle.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Do you find it easy to get cheap film in the US? I'm having a hard time getting over the "loving portra 800 costs 7 something euros" barrier.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Maverique posted:

Do you find it easy to get cheap film in the US? I'm having a hard time getting over the "loving portra 800 costs 7 something euros" barrier.

Shoot Portra 400 at 800. It'll do fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBlandAverage posted:

Shoot Portra 400 at 800. It'll do fine.

I always heard that Kodak films can push one stop with no ill effects, but I've never tried that with their color lines. I'll have to give that a spin sometime.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Maverique posted:

I seriously don't get why they can't put a couple of rolls in a padded envelope and charge less than $40 to ship. Freestyles and B&H's mark up on shipping items smaller than an enlarger must be incredible.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

I seriously don't get why they can't put a couple of rolls in a padded envelope and charge less than $40 to ship. Freestyles and B&H's mark up on shipping items smaller than an enlarger must be incredible.
I'm thinking they need to use shipping methods with some sort of tracking, which can be a lot more expensive. Otherwise, they would end up with a ton of impatient people filing chargebacks every time a shipment gets stuck in customs for a couple weeks.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

I'm thinking they need to use shipping methods with some sort of tracking, which can be a lot more expensive. Otherwise, they would end up with a ton of impatient people filing chargebacks every time a shipment gets stuck in customs for a couple weeks.

That makes sense, never thought about it that way.

I've got to order some HC-110 with another guy here (Japan). I think 2-3 bottles should do it for a while.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If I want to shoot a roll of Tri-X 400 in lower light than usual, I can set my camera to -2 EV and have it processed as 1600, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dead Alice posted:

If I want to shoot a roll of Tri-X 400 in lower light than usual, I can set my camera to -2 EV and have it processed as 1600, right?

Or... just set your camera to 1600 ISO instead of 400 to begin with. I think most exposure compensation features are for single shots within a roll - if you're pushing or pulling the whole roll, just change your base ISO setting.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

QPZIL posted:

Or... just set your camera to 1600 ISO instead of 400 to begin with. I think most exposure compensation features are for single shots within a roll - if you're pushing or pulling the whole roll, just change your base ISO setting.

I don't know that it will let me, it's not mentioned in the manual anywhere. Exposure compensation persists through power cycling though (it's a Minolta Dynax 500si).
I'm right in the theory?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dead Alice posted:

I don't know that it will let me, it's not mentioned in the manual anywhere. Exposure compensation persists through power cycling though (it's a Minolta Dynax 500si).
I'm right in the theory?

If your camera doesn't have any ISO override then go with setting exposure compensation, sure. Or go full manual :D

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Dead Alice posted:

I'm right in the theory?

Check on page 66. Something while holding the mode and drive mode buttons scroll the dial wheel to the desired film speed.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Always hate to see more film discontinuations :(

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2011/09/fujifilm-announcement-the-future-of-film/

quote:

The following films have ceased production and will not be re-produced. Once the remaining inventory has gone that will be it. So if you use any of the following films I suggest you get yourself as much as you can now, because this will be the last chance.

Professional films

Negative Film:
Sheet film (cut size)
FujiColor Pro 160NC 4×5 20 sheet pack.
Fujicolor Pro 160NC 4×5 Quick load type 20 sheet pack.

Reversal film:
135 (35mm size)
Fuji Sensia III 100 24 exp roll.
Fuji Sensia III 100 36 exp roll.
Tungsten T64 36 exop roll.

Medium format
120 size
Astia 100F 12 exp 5 pack.
220 size
Astia 100F 24 exp 5 pack.
Sheet film (cut size)
Astia 100F 4×5 20 sheet pack.
Astia 100F 8×10 20 sheet pack.
Astia 100F 4×5 quick load 20 sheet pack.

Black and white negative film
135 (35mm size)
Neopan SS 36 exp roll.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Shame to see 160NC go in 4x5 (not too many options left there), but otherwise that's not too bad. No one shoots Astia, Sensia is overshadowed by Provia/Velvia (the only store I've ever seen carry it only did so for one summer), and Neopan SS isn't that popular either (the only place I've ever seen it is Japan Exposures).

It could be worse. I just wish they'd bring back Acros in 4x5. :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Nooooo not the t64 :(

A question: I've got the OM fever and the only cure is a camera. My local camera shop has an OM-4T (natural color, not black), and they'll sell me it with a Zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens on for $325. Is this A Deal, just a deal, or no deal?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

Is this A Deal, just a deal, or no deal?

Not even in the realm of being a deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM4T-Camera-film-/170692349188?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item27be0e8d04

Don't buy anything from SF camera shops. :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

atomicthumbs posted:

Nooooo not the t64 :(

A question: I've got the OM fever and the only cure is a camera. My local camera shop has an OM-4T (natural color, not black), and they'll sell me it with a Zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens on for $325. Is this A Deal, just a deal, or no deal?

Get one in BGN condition from KEH. Body is $159, lens is $43. That's what I did.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Shame to see 160NC go in 4x5 (not too many options left there), but otherwise that's not too bad. No one shoots Astia, Sensia is overshadowed by Provia/Velvia (the only store I've ever seen carry it only did so for one summer), and Neopan SS isn't that popular either (the only place I've ever seen it is Japan Exposures).

It could be worse. I just wish they'd bring back Acros in 4x5. :(

Oh gently caress, they discontinued Acros in 4x5? Shiiiiiit.

I actually bought some 120 Astia a few months ago because I heard it was going to get axed. Haven't shot much with it though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Neopan SS isn't Acros, it's some weird-rear end cubical-grained film. I am answering a question that was not asked

What happened to Acros in 4x5?

And I am sad to see T64 in 35mm go; I took the photo what is my avatar on T64.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 9, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

No one shoots Astia

Well they should, because it's loving amazing. :(

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Captain Postal posted:

AP compact developing tank reel. Fully compatible with the normal AP developing tank, together with every other developing tank in the world (jobo, paterson (what I use them with) etc).
Are these the same? http://freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel It's clearly not the Classic and it clearly has large tabs, but it doesn't say anything about "compact" anywhere. The site you got your photo from - http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catChemicals.htm - is out of stock.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That's the right one. I believe they're 'compact' because you can bring them down to 135 size when not in use.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Apparently I can only source Ilford or Tetenal chems in New Zealand, which is somewhat annoying given how awesome everyone makes HC110 and Rodinal sound.

Ilford have a comparison chart on their website which states that Ilfosol S is equivalent to Rodinal, and that Ilfotech LC29 or Ilfotech HC are equivalent to HC110 - are they actually chemically equivalent, or just suited to the same types of developing methods?

I went into a pharmacy earlier to pick up a cheap 35mm colour roll to sacrifice to my film tank practice, and the woman gave me 7 rolls of expired stuff gratis; they'd written it off and were just going to bin it despite it only expiring a couple of months back.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Well they should, because it's loving amazing. :(

Yeah I've seen that it is well regarded, I really want some but I never saw it available over here.

And for some reason I thought T64 was gone already, grrr.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dead Alice posted:

Apparently I can only source Ilford or Tetenal chems in New Zealand, which is somewhat annoying given how awesome everyone makes HC110 and Rodinal sound.

Ilford have a comparison chart on their website which states that Ilfosol S is equivalent to Rodinal, and that Ilfotech LC29 or Ilfotech HC are equivalent to HC110 - are they actually chemically equivalent, or just suited to the same types of developing methods?

I haven't been doing this long enough to try anything other than the Ilfosol S I got as part of my starting kit. I've been quite happy with it, but again I don't know anything different, and I haven't been pushing or pulling any rolls, yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dead Alice posted:

I've mainly been using Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid as my film dev and the main complaint I have with it is that it can be rather slow. On the other hand it is quite economical and easy to work with.

I doubt Ilfotech HC is chemically equivalent to HC110, it's just the usage is similar. Isn't one of the main reasons everyone loves HC110 that it keeps almost forever and is reasonably easy to use, as opposed to powder developers which can be a serious pain in the rear end to mix up?

If you just want a developer to get started with, which can last you a long time, I'd say you can just as well go with Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid, as it's easy to mix and use. Ilfotech HC is annoying to use IMO, because of the high viscosity. If they really do have a good stock of Tetenal products, they should also have Emofin and Neofin Blue, which both sound interesting.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Are these the same? http://freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel It's clearly not the Classic and it clearly has large tabs, but it doesn't say anything about "compact" anywhere. The site you got your photo from - http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catChemicals.htm - is out of stock.

way to find the ONE example that disproves me...

They look the same to me. I didn't buy from that site either, it was just on the first page of gis.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've discovered something interesting: leaving Rodinal 1+100 standing develops Acros and HP5+ just fine, at the same time.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Just (agonizingly) moved to a new city post-graduation. Does anybody know a reliable photo lab in the downtown or Northwest DC area? Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Just (agonizingly) moved to a new city post-graduation. Does anybody know a reliable photo lab in the downtown or Northwest DC area? Thanks. :)

If you've still got his address, email my friend Robb who was emailing you about the Bessa a few months back (he wound up buying mine before I moved to Japan); he's in DC and shoots film.