Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Duke Jan posted:

I always assumed he was the same guy as the one from Blue Shift. Has this ever been confirmed or is Blue Shift just as 'half-canon' as Opposing Force?

:spergin: Blue Shift is Half-Canon too. The difference between Blue Shift and Opposing Force is that I think Valve is not interested in turning anything related to Blue Shift canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hey, Germans can finally buy DOOM :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14748027

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

The rules have been relaxed because officials believe that Doom is now only of artistic and scientific interest and will not appeal to youngsters.

Games are now officially art, but only in Germany.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Luigi Thirty posted:

Games are now officially art, but only in Germany.

The other implication of that quote is that Doom is so archaic that it has the same appeal and relevance to youngsters as baroque music.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 2 won't be completely unscathed though: The German version has always excluded the secret Wolfenstein levels because... well, you know.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Doing a Brutal Doom run and I'm up to the ending of E4M2. Is the Cyberdemon supposed to be able to walk over the small wall in front of him? The obvious telefrag opportunity seems nearly impossible to pull off.

I think I've only played this level once before, so I don't quite remember how it is in regular Doom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brutal Doom makes some of the monsters larger, the Cyberdemon included. Somehow this makes it able to step over the barrier, making the end of E4M2 a hell of a lot harder than it was.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh in the normal game he's not supposed to be walking around on that platform shooting at you from all the way across the level?? drat that makes a lot more sense.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I honestly think Brutal Doom gives certain monsters the ability to ignore walls if they're low enough. Scythe / Scythe 2 have maps where fences were clearly supposed to keep pinkies confined, but Brutal Doom allows them to run over short barriers with impunity.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Doom 2 won't be completely unscathed though: The German version has always excluded the secret Wolfenstein levels because... well, you know.

Why can't the 3D models in Doom source ports be more like this?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I honestly think Brutal Doom gives certain monsters the ability to ignore walls if they're low enough. Scythe / Scythe 2 have maps where fences were clearly supposed to keep pinkies confined, but Brutal Doom allows them to run over short barriers with impunity.

It does give monsters new AI so that might cause weird things to happen. For example, imps can leap at you which can make some maps more difficult than they were intended to be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
God I love Doom modders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWsswsWL5E

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

God I love Doom modders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWsswsWL5E

bee careful out there

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I have a couple quick questions regarding Descent. I got the game back when it was on sale on GOG and just really started playing it tonight using DXX-Rebirth. The game runs really well on my netbook (actually way way better than the DOSBox wrapper GOG uses), but the mouse feels really sluggish for turning. I did turn the in-game sensitivity all the way up, but it still feels like I have to move the mouse seven or eight times to do a 180 degree turn. Is there a way to make the mouse sensitivity even higher? Or, is there a better control scheme I should use that would make turning easier? I have mine setup in a regular-ish FPS fashion like so...

code:
W - Move Forward (not accelerate)
S - Move Backward (not accelerate)
A - Slide Left
D - Slide Right
Q - Spin Left
R - Spin Right
Mouse X Axis - Turn Left/Right
Mouse Y Axis - Pitch Up/Down
I know I probably could try turning the sensitivity up in Windows itself, but I don't feel like bothering to change it every time I'm about to play or finish playing.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 6, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've not downloaded it yet, but the much-awaited Project MSX mod for Doom 2 just came out, albeit in Beta 1 form. Not widescreen-friendly right now, and not all the new enemy types implemented yet, but it's the first public build.

From the gameplay videos, it basically looks like Halo-style gameplay, with regenerating shields, offhand grenades and other such things, balanced out with enemies being really fast and aggressive.

Downloaded: Initial thought is... this works really well, actually. Probably the most coherent 'weapon mod' I've seen. Lovely HUD, and some nice weapon mechanics, like the autocannon having a heat gauge, and the altfire on it being a vent function.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 6, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I've not downloaded it yet, but the much-awaited Project MSX mod for Doom 2 just came out, albeit in Beta 1 form. Not widescreen-friendly right now, and not all the new enemy types implemented yet, but it's the first public build.

From the gameplay videos, it basically looks like Halo-style gameplay, with regenerating shields, offhand grenades and other such things, balanced out with enemies being really fast and aggressive.

Downloaded: Initial thought is... this works really well, actually. Probably the most coherent 'weapon mod' I've seen. Lovely HUD, and some nice weapon mechanics, like the autocannon having a heat gauge, and the altfire on it being a vent function.

Hold alt-fire on your fists to charge up the loving Godhand!

I love this mod.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

Hold alt-fire on your fists to charge up the loving Godhand!

I love this mod.

I love the little flash as it channels all of your shields into your fist, for that one almighty cataclysmic man-punch. So satisfying.

Ammo is fairly scarce so you can't spray and pray in this mod. Use grenades where appropriate, conserve healing, etc. It's impressive how well all the Halo-style elements (and even a little bit of Crysis for suit powers) mesh with the arcadey Doom gameplay.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dominic White posted:

Fun stuff. I like the visuals on the barrel explosions (and the god hand). Feels like there should be a couple more weapons (and maybe more variety in them). The lack of health/shield pickups (and the lack of necessity for them) is fun.

Is the game just really FAST? I find that the enemies are bouncing around really fast, and I don't even have Fast Monsters enabled.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I love the little flash as it channels all of your shields into your fist, for that one almighty cataclysmic man-punch. So satisfying.

Absolutely:

Also yes I do think enemies are a little too fast, maybe someone can point it out to the creator.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

Is the game just really FAST?

Yep. Enemies are meant to be super fast and aggressive, as your weapons are now mostly rapid-firing, hitscan and very powerful. Apparently more weapons and enemies are on the way, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Obeast posted:

I have a couple quick questions regarding Descent. I got the game back when it was on sale on GOG and just really started playing it tonight using DXX-Rebirth. The game runs really well on my netbook (actually way way better than the DOSBox wrapper GOG uses), but the mouse feels really sluggish for turning. I did turn the in-game sensitivity all the way up, but it still feels like I have to move the mouse seven or eight times to do a 180 degree turn. Is there a way to make the mouse sensitivity even higher? Or, is there a better control scheme I should use that would make turning easier? I have mine setup in a regular-ish FPS fashion like so...
Back in the day, I just ditched the mouse and used a two-handed keyboard setup where one hand controlled movement and the other controlled rotation.

If I remember correctly…
code:
Q - Move Up        U - Roll Left
W - Move Forward   I - Pitch Forward
E - Move Down      O - Roll Right
A - Move Left      J - Turn Left
S - Move Back      K - Pitch Back
D - Move Right     L - Turn Right
It took some getting used to, but worked out pretty well in the end. The problem with using a mouse was that you lost immediate access to two axes (hah!) unless you bound them to the mouse buttons (which just felt wrong).

A friend of mine had the luxury of having two flight sticks with those coolie hat switches to control the “left-over” axes, and still have enough firing buttons to satisfy all needs.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
But why would you want to turn Doom into a modern FPS with regenerating health and all hitscan weapons and aaaargh :mad:

There should be a mod that turns Halo into Doom, if anything.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xythar posted:

But why would you want to turn Doom into a modern FPS with regenerating health and all hitscan weapons and aaaargh :mad:

Because it results in a really interesting mix of fast, twitchy Doom gameplay but with a lot more resource management as you juggle weapons and grenades and health/shield boosters.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Xythar posted:

Doom is way, way easier to mod then Halo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Obeast posted:

There's an upper limit on how fast your ship can turn regardless of whether you're using keyboard, mouse, or joystick - this helps keep mouse players from completely dominating multiplayer by turning a thousand times faster than everyone else. D2X-XL has an option to uncap turn speed (Controls->Mouselook), but I'm pretty sure it only applies in singleplayer. Don't know about DXX-Rebirth, but given that it's all about closely replicating the original experience (as opposed to XL's kitchen-sink design philosophy), it probably doesn't.

As for the actual controls, I found this to work well (in the original game, and before D2X-XL had the mouselook option):

code:
WASD - move forward/backward/left/right
Space - ascend
Shift - descend
QE - roll
ZX - yaw
RF - pitch
Mouse X - yaw
Mouse Y - pitch
This let me move easily along all three axes and aim with the mouse, while giving me ZXRF to hold down for wide turns.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Obeast posted:

code:
W - Move Forward (not accelerate)
S - Move Backward (not accelerate)
A - Slide Left
D - Slide Right
Q - Spin Left
R - Spin Right
Mouse X Axis - Turn Left/Right
Mouse Y Axis - Pitch Up/Down
I know I probably could try turning the sensitivity up in Windows itself, but I don't feel like bothering to change it every time I'm about to play or finish playing.

What I remember from the Descent days is that 95% of folks used an MS Sidewinder which was one of the first flight sticks with a twist axis, 4.999% used a mouse with hacked mouse drivers just for playing Descent that jacked the sensetivity through the roof just so you could turn as fast as joystick users, and then me who used a Thrustmaster TopGun and had to resort to having a toggle button to switch from yawing to rolling.

And while there was an upper limit to turn speeds, default mouse movements never even approached it; people really did have to have special mouse drivers loaded before loading Descent just to be able to turn the maximum turn speed in game.

I am surprised that the Rebirth and the DXL guys didn't incorporate the over-the-top sensitivity required for playing with the mouse in their ports... but my guess is that they all play with flight sticks anyway.

As for movement key assignments, if I used a mouse, I'd probably go with this... but it would certainly not be ideal:

pre:
ESDF -  forward left right backward
A -     down
SPACE - up
Mouse X/Y - yaw/pitch
MOUSE3 - toggle roll

Reive
May 21, 2009

Xythar posted:

Because I want something more to do than look at enemy click repeat.
At least the level design in old-school games was more interesting than 'continue down corridor', but still having modern trappings in old school levels just brings this feeling of everything being just right.

I'm only bummed that more of the weapons don't have sights, the pistol should at least, and maybe a neat sci-fi targeting system for the autocannon to match the HUD.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Essobie posted:

What I remember from the Descent days is that 95% of folks used an MS Sidewinder which was one of the first flight sticks with a twist axis, 4.999% used a mouse with hacked mouse drivers just for playing Descent that jacked the sensetivity through the roof just so you could turn as fast as joystick users, and then me who used a Thrustmaster TopGun and had to resort to having a toggle button to switch from yawing to rolling.
Hmm, you mention the Sidewinder. Is there a recommended flightstick out there with a USB interface that plays nice with modern Windows 7 systems? I never did finish Descent II and I've been wanting to get back into it. The itch is strong now that I've gone back and played all the way through Doom 1 for the first time.

On a completely different note - I beat "Thy Flesh Consumed" late last night. This morning I had a dream in which I got a pet bunny. I didn't make the connection until just now. :3:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You all have some really bootleg Descent mouse controls. This is what I've always used and it works really well:

code:
W/S - Slide Up/Down
A/D - Slide Left/Right
Q/E - Roll Left/Right

Mouse X - Turn Left/Right
Mouse Y - Pitch Up/Down

Shift - Forward
Ctrl - Reverse
Caps - Burner
I've seen some people use ESDF layouts so they can do A/Z/Shift for Forward/Backward/Burner, I can't ever get used to that style though.

The hardest part of controlling Descent is switching weapons though. There being 10 weapon slots and a decent number of them being useful sort of forces you to come up with some interesting placements for them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't imagine playing Descent with a mouse; for the reasons already mentioned, it feels like an unnatural way to control ship movement. It works for "human" FPSes because it's analogous to the nearly instantaneous action of actually looking at stuff. I feel that joystick is really the way to go, even though it's inconvenient; but even a dual-anlog pad would "feel" better than a mouse even though there are obviously some issues with the number of buttons. Just my two cents.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Minidust posted:

Hmm, you mention the Sidewinder. Is there a recommended flightstick out there with a USB interface that plays nice with modern Windows 7 systems? I never did finish Descent II and I've been wanting to get back into it. The itch is strong now that I've gone back and played all the way through Doom 1 for the first time.

On a completely different note - I beat "Thy Flesh Consumed" late last night. This morning I had a dream in which I got a pet bunny. I didn't make the connection until just now. :3:

Logitech 3D Extreme Pro is the closest thing to a Sidewinder you will find... so long as you are right handed (it is ergo-right-handed, where the Sidewinder was symmetrical). It's super inexpensive and a great stick.

I actually have a Saitek x52Pro for flight simming, and there's some weird forced deadzones on that stick within all of the Descents, even using the source ports available now, so I haven't really been back to play them. I don't think you'll see that on the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro, however.

Edit: There was this controller called the SpaceOrb 360 that had software that actually hacked into Descent 1 and 2 specifically so you could do 180 flips and turn at any speed at all. By all accounts it was cheating, but the controller was so unwieldy that most of us didn't give a poo poo if our opponent used them because while they could do 180 flips instantly, they couldn't do things like, you know... aim. Or track.

I had one guy at a LAN in Houston we went to bimonthly that had a dual controller setup with:

1) A Sporb in his left hand (for general left-right-up-down movements, as well as the flip functionality)
2) A Sidewinder in his right hand (for actual aiming and some turning)
3) Custom "foot pedals" which was really a 2x4 with buttons from Radio Shack drilled into them to go forward/back and weapon switch.

He would play on a giant projector at a LAN party. He was... odd.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2011

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder back in the day. Got it for Mechwarrior 2, but it was AWESOME for Descent. The stick itself twisted left and right for rudder control, and that middle thumb button was a HAT switch for sliding. I miss that stick :( Tried playing Descent again without it recently, could not get used to just a keyboard and mouse.

If I played more games that would actually benefit from this, I'd look for another.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

For Descent I use WSAD for forward/backward/slide left/slide right, Shift for burner and Space/Ctrl for sliding up and down. Works good enough for me.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
My controls were essentially this for Descent 2:

ESDF - forward/back/left/right
Joystick X/Y - yaw/pitch
Joystick X + Joystick Pinky Button - roll
Joystick HAT - up/down/left/right (redundant left/right)
X and V - Afterburner (allowed using afterburner while hitting both E and F or E and S)
Joystick Trigger - Fire primary
SPACE - fire secondary
1-6 - weapon selection

This was ages ago, and I'd probably change a bit of this if I were to try to play Descent again. And I'd do that except, as I said, my x52pro has some controller issues with these games for some reason. At least... a couple of years ago this was the case. I should probably load this up again and give it a shot.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A modern dual-analogue stick is pretty much perfect for descent.

Left stick: Facing
Right stick: Strafing
Analogue triggers: Throttle
Bumbers: Primary/Secondary fire

And that then gives you 8 more buttons and the D-pad for all the secondary functions. I have clicking the left/right sticks as roll left/right, although if you wanted to economize, you could just have it as a hold-toggle on one of the buttons.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The stick itself twisted left and right for rudder control.

This is the best for roll control in games like Freespace 2. Do modern joysticks not do that?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Vertigus posted:

This is the best for roll control in games like Freespace 2. Do modern joysticks not do that?

Most do (Saitek's/Cheaper Logitechs) but some of the hard core ones don't (Thrustmaster Warthog/Logitech G940 Force Feedback/CH Products) which expect you to own pedals.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Essobie posted:

Logitech 3D Extreme Pro is the closest thing to a Sidewinder you will find... so long as you are right handed (it is ergo-right-handed, where the Sidewinder was symmetrical). It's super inexpensive and a great stick.
Thanks for the tip, just Wish Listed that baby on Amazon. In the near future I look forward to re-living my Descent/X-wing adventures of the mid-nineties!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder back in the day. Got it for Mechwarrior 2, but it was AWESOME for Descent. The stick itself twisted left and right for rudder control, and that middle thumb button was a HAT switch for sliding. I miss that stick :( Tried playing Descent again without it recently, could not get used to just a keyboard and mouse.

If I played more games that would actually benefit from this, I'd look for another.

I have this joystick sitting on my desk next to my (rarely used anymore) desktop right now.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I wish I had a USB joystick right now, but due to economic reasons, I don't think I can buy one even though they are probably a lot cheaper than they used to be.

ToxicFrog posted:

code:
WASD - move forward/backward/left/right
Space - ascend
Shift - descend
QE - roll
ZX - yaw
RF - pitch
Mouse X - yaw
Mouse Y - pitch
This scheme sounds more up my alley since it keeps the WASD + mouse scheme while making it (hopefully) easier for me to turn. I'm gonna try it later today when I have time. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seriously, if you're playing Descent 1/2, then the best controller for the job is a Xbox 360 gamepad or equivalent. Full analogue movement across all axes, and plenty of buttons to spare. D2XL binds it all dead easy. 30-second easy, even.