Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

CWT also makes the CS and TX models, but HX models are made by Seasonic, and AX models by Flextronics. I'd personally shoot for an HX, because along with Seasonic being your best bet, they're modular, and modular PSU's rule. Otherwise, something in the TX family probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Just to clarify, the AX650, AX750 and AX850 are all manufactured by Seasonic and based on their X Series PSUs. The AX1200 is the only one manufactured by Flextronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
This is the Corsair PSU that I bought way back. The 550-VX. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

It was in the Enthusiast series at the time but now you have me worried it's going to explode this week or something.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now I'm so glad I spent the extra money on a 650HX last year since those are still actually made by Seasonic. I loving hate it when reputable companies cut corners like this. I'll be getting an actual Seasonic branded PSU next time around unless they decide to cut corners because goddamn it the power supply is the one thing you don't skimp on in a Gaming PC. :argh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Though, if it's a reference card being sold, doesn't that pretty much mean the seller just recieves a card from Ati and puts a bunch of stickers with their own name on it?
Nvidia and ATi/AMD don't usually make the reference cards in bulk themselves - they get contracted out to another company, in Nvidia's case, Foxconn, and at least it used to be Sapphire (Europe and NA) and Powercolor (Asia) doing it for ATi. Not sure how things have changed, especially since the AMD/ATi merger and stuff. It was over a decade ago when I read about this stuff initially, so poo poo's probably changed now.

And I don't know why Setzer Gabbiani was bagging on Evga motherboards being rebadged Foxconns - all of Nvidia's reference motherboards (that I know of) were made by Foxconn, and considering Evga used to primarily market Nvidia chipset boards up until the last couple years...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

crestfallen posted:

This is the Corsair PSU that I bought way back. The 550-VX. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

It was in the Enthusiast series at the time but now you have me worried it's going to explode this week or something.

I've got that same one, and it used to be on the recommended list here until it got discontinued. You're fine.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

crestfallen posted:

It's 80 Plus certified, uses Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors, and was rated pretty well by JonnyGuru and HardOCP (the latter stating that performance was comparable to the Seasonic-manufactured HX520). I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Yeah, and the PSU posted earlier is a good example of that. It's 800W (or, rather, the name says 800W) but only deals out 32A on the 12V line. Compare this to the Antec I've got (overpriced GAMER version, but still) which is only 520W but with 12V at 40A. Which is also what Asus/Ati recommends for the Radeon 6870 (though you can absolutely go lower).

It's not easy to know this, however, as wattage is still the main thing being advertised by most manufacturers and you usually have to look up a product specification sheet or read a review to find out what 12V output a specific PSU has.

I had no idea about this, looking at it, I think mine is 20A on 12V :stare:

I run a HD5870, time for a new one?

A quick Google turns up "The maximum power draw of the HD 5870 is 188W. That's approximately 15.67A on the 12V rail" but that's on some stupid internet forum and everyone knows not to listen to the sorts who frequent those.

e:It's this one

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 4, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

I had no idea about this, looking at it, I think mine is 20A on 12V :stare:

I run a HD5870, time for a new one?

A quick Google turns up "The maximum power draw of the HD 5870 is 188W. That's approximately 15.67A on the 12V rail" but that's on some stupid internet forum and everyone knows not to listen to the sorts who frequent those.

e:It's this one

The max power draw is definitely more than 188W, though after a quick google the sources vary. According to Tom's Hardware it's 354W, which would mean closer to 30A. And your PSU is indeed 20A on the 12V rail. So... I'm not sure how it's working out for you.

However, while cheap the PSU you've got seem to have over- and undervoltage protection so if it fails it will probably not destroy your computer (don't quote me on this, never heard of the brand). So as long as it works I guess it will be fine, maybe you don't play that graphically intensive games?

If you ever have the comp powering down while under load, though, it's most likely because your PSU isn't up to it. If you've got the money, definitely upgrade now.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

The max power draw is definitely more than 188W, though after a quick google the sources vary. According to Tom's Hardware it's 354W, which would mean closer to 30A. And your PSU is indeed 20A on the 12V rail. So... I'm not sure how it's working out for you.

However, while cheap the PSU you've got seem to have over- and undervoltage protection so if it fails it will probably not destroy your computer (don't quote me on this, never heard of the brand). So as long as it works I guess it will be fine, maybe you don't play that graphically intensive games?

If you ever have the comp powering down while under load, though, it's most likely because your PSU isn't up to it. If you've got the money, definitely upgrade now.

Keep in mind those numbers are the power drawn from the AC, the actual DC output drawn from the PSU will be like ~85% of that, and all games draw less power than furmark.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

The Crysis games, Saints Row 2 and Fallout 3 have all pushed it pretty hard and I've had zero random shutdowns, so perhaps it is down to what freeforumuser said, even so, it's very close to the limit.

One of the comments claims that it's actually dual rail but I can find bog all to support that.

It is four years old now, so I'm leaning toward an upgrade.

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
Feel free to make fun of me, but I have a question which I posted in the monitor thread:

I have a 17/20 dual set up on my GTX 260 right now, and debating getting a 27" to replace the 20. Are there any problems with that? Any issues I should be aware of?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
As somebody who has owned a 28" monitor, I would recommend not buying such a huge screen, unless you plan on putting it in a small living room.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is FSP a good or bad brand for PSUs? I did some research before purchasing mine two years ago and most opinions were favourable.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
I have a 27" monitor and love the size. What I don't love though is the lovely TN-panel this thing's got, crappy viewing angles get really obvious. If only the high resolution/quality 30" ones weren't so horribly expensive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NihilCredo posted:

Is FSP a good or bad brand for PSUs? I did some research before purchasing mine two years ago and most opinions were favourable.

There is a part picking thread in SH/SC that is basically the perfect place for these kinda questions.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605&pagenumber=1

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Lockback posted:

There is a part picking thread in SH/SC that is basically the perfect place for these kinda questions.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605&pagenumber=1

I know, but the PSU ultra-experts (Setzer Gabbiani & co.) seem to be offering their knowledge in this thread and not in the parts picking one :shobon:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

As somebody who has owned a 28" monitor, I would recommend not buying such a huge screen, unless you plan on putting it in a small living room.

Try sitting away from your monitor a bit :smuggo:

I have a 30" and love the frigging size. Big monitors for life.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For sitting right in front of it, I personally like 25 or 26". It's smaller than I like for sitting on the couch a few feet away, but I think any bigger would be too much for at the desk (having to look back and forth to see HUD/minimap stuff in games).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

27" at 2560x1440 (IPS, LED-backlit :c00l:) is the largest that I can handle on my desk. I had a 30" but it was just a little bit too big for PC gaming. Console gaming was fine with it because I could just scoot back a couple of feet with a controller, but the keyboard and mouse have to stay at the desk so I was too close to the screen.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 4, 2011

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I know, but the PSU ultra-experts (Setzer Gabbiani & co.) seem to be offering their knowledge in this thread and not in the parts picking one :shobon:

FSP is fine, provided we aren't talking about their 1000W Everest's that got stupid-hot and were discontinued a couple years ago. They're one of the better OEM's for OCZ PSU's too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Even my 24" seems small and before that I had a 20". It might be a matter of getting used to it but I like huge tv's and sitting close. I used to sit like, 4 feet or closer with my 40" tv with PS3 games. Even that seemed too small. My buddy has a giant HD 1080p projector on his wall, I want that I think.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's absolutely about getting used to it. Who remembers when a 15" was the default, 17" was a nice upgrade, and 19" a luxury for professionals or enthusiasts?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember my beast 17" CRT back in the day and was like, yeah, this is the loving best!

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I was using my 17" Trinitron from 2002 to 2008, and was so used to it, I had a hard time making the switch to a widescreen LCD :psyduck: Still, the picture was awesome for a CRT, and was probably the last time I'll ever have used a 100hz monitor. It was also really goddamn heavy

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I was using my 17" Trinitron from 2002 to 2008, and was so used to it, I had a hard time making the switch to a widescreen LCD :psyduck: Still, the picture was awesome for a CRT, and was probably the last time I'll ever have used a 100hz monitor. It was also really goddamn heavy

There are 120hz LCD screens now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

averox posted:

I have a 30" and love the frigging size. Big monitors for life.

^^^^^^
:hfive:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

27" at 2560x1440 (IPS, LED-backlit :c00l:) is the largest that I can handle on my desk. I had a 30" but it was just a little bit too big for PC gaming. Console gaming was fine with it because I could just scoot back a couple of feet with a controller, but the keyboard and mouse have to stay at the desk so I was too close to the screen.

When I first unpacked and fired up my 30", sitting in the same spot that had previously been occupied by the 24" it replaced, I sat there for a few minutes feeling somewhat uncomfortable with it. It was just too big. Then I decided to push it all the way to the back edge of my desk as far as it would go, right up against the wall. Now it's juuuust right. But yeah, a couple inches closer and it's just too large and too in-your-face.

e:

NihilCredo posted:

It's absolutely about getting used to it. Who remembers when a 15" was the default, 17" was a nice upgrade, and 19" a luxury for professionals or enthusiasts?

I remember when I thought I was king poo poo for having a 17" and 15" in a dual-monitor setup circa 1999.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 4, 2011

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I was trying to connect the front panel speaker jack to the motherboard when I felt that the hard drives were very hot. This is why:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Selklubber posted:

I was trying to connect the front panel speaker jack to the motherboard when I felt that the hard drives were very hot. This is why:

On the upside, you've got that much less dust clogging up the rest of the machine! :haw:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Selklubber posted:

This gives me flashbacks to the time I opened up a 5 year old laptop to clean out the fans :gonk:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I know that ~*partz*~ discussion is slowly being frowned upon but some quick questions for y'all.

1. If I have a 1680x1050 panel (TN) currently, should I upgrade to a 1080p or higher panel or would the improvement be unnoticeable?

2. Are there any good, cheap, surround sound speaker sets for PC's? I've always wanted a decent 5.1+ setup.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
1680x1050 -> 1920x1080 isn't a hugely noticeable difference. If you're like the guys running a 1280x1024 monitor, it'd be worth it, but not so much for that jump.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So my dad gave me two Jensen JP1200 floor speakers (300w each) and two little "Realistic" bookshelf speakers and a tiny little Optimus XTS 40 center speaker but I have no subwoofer. Well, technically I have one of those "plug everything into your subwoofer 5.1 pc speakers" setup but I have no idea how to hook something like that up.

I know I need actual speaker wire, and I left my optical cord in another state so I can hook it up to this Xonar card he gave me to a Technics SA-DX930 receiver he also gave me (Yes, my dad gives me poo poo he bought but never/barely used, the floor speakers and the center speaker were never even opened).

My questions are would this be loud for an apartment setup, and how much money would this cost? I don't mind too much about not having a sub because those are expensive.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I remember my beast 17" CRT back in the day and was like, yeah, this is the loving best!

Joys of 1024x768 and hours of calibrating the CRT geometry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ETPC posted:

I know that ~*partz*~ discussion is slowly being frowned upon but some quick questions for y'all.

1. If I have a 1680x1050 panel (TN) currently, should I upgrade to a 1080p or higher panel or would the improvement be unnoticeable?

2. Are there any good, cheap, surround sound speaker sets for PC's? I've always wanted a decent 5.1+ setup.

Only worry about getting a higher res panel if you feel like you want a larger display. You may notice a small difference at the same size, is it one that's worth $150-200?

I have a 1680x1050 display right now and the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is being able to watch 1080p video properly.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
So, the OP says there aren't any keyboards that are must-gets. However, are Razer keyboards a waste of money? I've had good experiences with their mice, are the keyboards just as good?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm really partial to the DAS keyboards but that's because I'm sick of these keyboards that keep wearing out because they have laptop mechanisms (or that Logitech is just a lovely designer most of the time) instead of harder stuff that wont wear out as easily.

I've used razer products before but I just felt like I was paying more for logitech products with more flash...which isn't really what I want. I want something built to last for peripherals, not something that breaks in 6-12 months.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I swear by the cheap DELL keyboards that all those schools and poo poo hav laying around, at least I still have my g15 now but those simple DELL ones own.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010

ImperialGuard posted:

So, the OP says there aren't any keyboards that are must-gets. However, are Razer keyboards a waste of money? I've had good experiences with their mice, are the keyboards just as good?

I'd stay away from Razer just because of one of their mice I saw in the store once, but if you absolutly want a Razer keyboard Ive heard good things about the Blackwidow , which is mechanical. IF you wanna go ham with a keyboard I've heard Filco mechanicals are really nice. I have a Logitech g110 and I want to switch to mechanical but the USB audio jack is enough for me to keep it .

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Just pointing out Razer does:

Black Widow - mechanical, no lights. Cheapest option.
Ultimate Black Widow - mechanical, with blue backlighting.
Ultimate Black Widow Ninja - has a matte finish, silent mechanical keys and backlighting. :ninja:

"God?! If you're not too busy giving those guys at Razer amazing ideas for keyboards...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So the ultimate black widow ninja is basically a das keyboard professional s except with matte instead of gloss and backlit instead of usb ports. Good to know.

• Locked thread