Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Crackerman posted:

Yeah, like a lot of the changes there's no subtlety to it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think only cause you're so "used" to the original. I have no real problem with it either way, being more "accurate" seems to make sense in the scheme of things (And additionally with the prequels the mystery of Palpatine's appearance is gone anyway, assuming you've just never seen RotJ ever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone know if A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy is any good?

Yeah, it's pretty good, especially when being scaled against other EU books. One of the interesting things I thought about it at the time was that she was a new author to the EU but managed to tie in basically all the pre-existing little tidbits all prior authors had established about Han's early life, without making it just seem like a long continuity info dump.

Also I believe the second book in the series is the first appearance of (pre-) Baron Fel who would go on to be the best character in the X-Wing comic series.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not buying Star Wars until Yub Nub is restored damnit! :colbert:

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think only cause you're so "used" to the original. I have no real problem with it either way, being more "accurate" seems to make sense in the scheme of things (And additionally with the prequels the mystery of Palpatine's appearance is gone anyway, assuming you've just never seen RotJ ever)

Maybe, but from the what I remember the lighting on the Emperor's hologram is much more severe than anything else around him. He also looks more detailed and "fuller" than he looks in Jedi.

And no, I have no idea why the Emperor looks the way he does and nor does anyone else. :colbert:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
At this point I honestly hope that Lucas lives for another 50 years and keeps updating the series until it's just an endless stream of lizards walking in front of the action while every single line of dialogue from every movie plays simultaneously.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I may break down and buy the new set, just because of the new Ewok footage.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Frankenstyle posted:

:laffo::laffo:

This, Mr. Lucas, is how you improve the Ewoks.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Frankenstyle posted:

Having the Ewoks be completely rabid and vicious creatures that defeat the Stormtroopers in the most vile and savage ways possible would make Jedi about ten times better, especially if at the end, instead of being all "WOO YEAH WE DID IT", everyone was just standing around, looking at the ground awkwardly as the Ewoks devoured the flesh of their eviscerated foes in tribal ceremonies. Credits roll in silence.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I can see them now, busting through Stormtrooper armor with rocks and digging out the tasty bits with over-sized crab forks.

edit:

But I do think it'd work better if the original "Yub-Dub" song played during the carnage.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 3, 2011

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Ringo Star Get posted:

Death Star Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKNrK53uA84
For the first time since my first watch I actually got excited by the Battle of Yavin. It actually looks like a proper battle now and not 5 x-wings, a y-wing and a couple of TIEs plinking at each other. He's a good eye for pacing and continuity too and the dogfights are allowed to play out without all the chatter now. I shall be tracking this down for sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did that Adywan guy really make this change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBAZGtBfcY4&feature=related

Really?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Really?

Ahahaha seriously?

I really don't get what people are seeing this guy's version. It's not really any better. That Death Star scene for instance, I really don't like the 3D hologram at all.

And this well. It was hilarious seeing Jar-Jar getting blown up for a split second

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Really?
Jimmy Smitts just chillin' while behind him his planet is boiling. Goddamn, I was with it until that shot.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

It's actually pretty good. There's a couple of weak parts and a mildly Mary Sue-ish character, but overall it's actually a pretty entertaining read.

Who, exactly, is the mary sue in the Han Solo trilogy? If you say Bria I'm going to laugh.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also I believe the second book in the series is the first appearance of (pre-) Baron Fel who would go on to be the best character in the X-Wing comic series.

Said appearance is just bizarre though, because if I recall, he was commanding one of the dreadnaughts. :confused:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Torael_7 posted:

Said appearance is just bizarre though, because if I recall, he was commanding one of the dreadnaughts. :confused:
TIE pilots go into minor command positions in the Fleet if they survive their tour of duty.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

TIE pilots go into minor command positions in the Fleet if they survive their tour of duty.

Except later on he was definitely back in a TIE, so I dunno. Maybe its a sort of joint tour of duty, "Here you've proven you're competent or lucky enough to survive a year as a TIE pilot, now learn how the other side of the navy works and we'll decide what to do with you from there."

drlnz
Nov 8, 2007

THICK AS TWO SHORT PLANKS

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The best thing about the Blu-Rays for me will be the huge amount of extras. I'm fine watching the DVDs of the movies until a high-def fan edit comes out that removes the NO.

Look at this guy - https://picasaweb.google.com/109609428403596349302/HarmySStarWarsDespecializedEditionComparisons

HDTV based but even so.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Really?

Strangely enough, the part of that I have the biggest problem with is the removal of the sound effect when the superlaser guy pulls the lever. I love that descending "doooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound. :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

Strangely enough, the part of that I have the biggest problem with is the removal of the sound effect when the superlaser guy pulls the lever. I love that descending "doooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound. :(

Bullshit ! That's one of the great sounds in a movie with a great audio track. How dare he ?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Is this supposed to be a good thing? I started flipping through the album and I got to R2 on Tattooine before I got bored and I gotta say that I don't like any of his reversions. There are things Lucas did that are lovely and retarded but getting rid of some gorgeous sky shots just because they were digitally inserted seems stupid to me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, I have an EU question: After KJA's Jedi Academy, does anyone ever bring up the fact that Kyp Durron once blew up an inhabited star system?

I would think that would sort of be a big deal.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So, I have an EU question: After KJA's Jedi Academy, does anyone ever bring up the fact that Kyp Durron once blew up an inhabited star system?

I think it gets brought up once in YJK, and once or twice in the NJO. I think Zahn brings it up a few times in his Thrawn duology also.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
gently caress the Sun Crusher

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes, several times. In fact, Kyp himself pilots an X-Wing late in the NJO painted up to look like a sun going nova. :haw:

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Is this supposed to be a good thing? I started flipping through the album and I got to R2 on Tattooine before I got bored and I gotta say that I don't like any of his reversions. There are things Lucas did that are lovely and retarded but getting rid of some gorgeous sky shots just because they were digitally inserted seems stupid to me.

When I first saw the gallery I also questioned some of the reversions (particularly the english lettering on the tractor beam). However, the point of the project was to make a high definition version as close to the theatrical release as possible. It looks extremely nice and after watching it, the original errors and rough edges only add charm to what is, in fact, a 34 year old movie. I strongly recommend this version to any fan of the series.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Torael_7 posted:

Yes, several times. In fact, Kyp himself pilots an X-Wing late in the NJO painted up to look like a sun going nova. :haw:

:stare:

Jesus, that's like a German F1 racer putting "Arbiet Macht Frei" on his car.

(Yeah, I went the :godwin: route, but come on! Him continuing to be a major part of the Jedi Order in a series that makes a big deal about WMDs strikes me as really incongruous)

drlnz
Nov 8, 2007

THICK AS TWO SHORT PLANKS

Epi Lepi posted:

It's basically the VHS tape upgrade that many people wanted but will never be released.

Sure, it doesn't have the fancy CGI backdrops, or the flashy CGI explosions, or the cool CGI blahblahblah who cares. He's removed the clutter, the bullshit CGI and the dance routines, and we are left with what made the originals great. And it may be the only way I'll ever watch a Star Wars movie again.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

:stare:

Jesus, that's like a German F1 racer putting "Arbiet Macht Frei" on his car.

(Yeah, I went the :godwin: route, but come on! Him continuing to be a major part of the Jedi Order in a series that makes a big deal about WMDs strikes me as really incongruous)

To be fair, he did it in the hopes that it would help freak the Vong out. "Dude, we've destroyed whole loving stars, what the gently caress kind of chance do you stand?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Torael_7 posted:

To be fair, he did it in the hopes that it would help freak the Vong out. "Dude, we've destroyed whole loving stars, what the gently caress kind of chance do you stand?"

Which leaves out the fact that they no longer have such ability...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Which leaves out the fact that they no longer have such ability...
Until KJA writes another Star Wars book that is.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I think you're forgetting that Kyp was forgiven for his crime.

Problem solved!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Plavski posted:

Jimmy Smitts just chillin' while behind him his planet is boiling. Goddamn, I was with it until that shot.

Yeah as a matter of fact the boiling oceans stuff looks pretty drat nice and perhaps even fitting/dramatic, but he can't be serious with the Jar Jar bullshit.

Did he actually do this in his Star Wars edit because drat.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Zat posted:

Yeah as a matter of fact the boiling oceans stuff looks pretty drat nice and perhaps even fitting/dramatic, but he can't be serious with the Jar Jar bullshit.

Did he actually do this in his Star Wars edit because drat.

He did it, but then decided against it as it ruined the flow of the edit.

Also, check out this unfinished scene from Ep 1:

That's Padme's ship.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh gently caress I just dug up an old copy of Empire at War, so tempted to reinstall it for the great space combat.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It just amazes me that there are so many fan edits but nobody has done the most obvious thing. All I want is for the original original versions - no "A New Hope", Han shooting first, etc. - and just clean them up (that is, marks on the film) and if possible upscale them to 1080p or whatever is the standard right now. No fixing mistakes, no repairing poor special effects or visible wires. Just make the colour good and the image sharp.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

qntm posted:

It just amazes me that there are so many fan edits but nobody has done the most obvious thing. All I want is for the original original versions - no "A New Hope", Han shooting first, etc. - and just clean them up (that is, marks on the film) and if possible upscale them to 1080p or whatever is the standard right now. No fixing mistakes, no repairing poor special effects or visible wires. Just make the colour good and the image sharp.
It's like there's a "change curse" on the saga. It's not possible to release them for money or for free without an unneccessary tweak.

Maybe Marcia Lucas was a witch? :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ZeeToo posted:

I think you're forgetting that Kyp was forgiven for his crime.

Problem solved!

He was forgiven by Luke, to be exact. I'm pretty sure the Imperial Remnant would still want to extradite his rear end, if only to rub it in the faces of the Republic.

"Of course we'll turn over all war criminals we're harboring. Only it looks like you killed them all already. Say, do you know about this Kyp Durron guy? :smug:"

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

qntm posted:

There is a 720p edit of what you want that was discussed on this very page. https://picasaweb.google.com/109609428403596349302/HarmySStarWarsDespecializedEditionComparisons

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

drlnz posted:

It's basically the VHS tape upgrade that many people wanted but will never be released.

Sure, it doesn't have the fancy CGI backdrops, or the flashy CGI explosions, or the cool CGI blahblahblah who cares. He's removed the clutter, the bullshit CGI and the dance routines, and we are left with what made the originals great. And it may be the only way I'll ever watch a Star Wars movie again.

Throwing out the baby with the bathwater is equally stupid and petty though. Not all the changes are bad. I mean most are poo poo, but some stuff DID improve things like the backdrops that he mentioned.

I may be alone I don't know but I also liked how the Death Star battle in a new hope was redone, mostly. Showing the ships closer and stuff made it feel less "flat" for me.

Cheesus posted:

It's like there's a "change curse" on the saga. It's not possible to release them for money or for free without an unneccessary tweak.

Maybe Marcia Lucas was a witch? :v:

The irony is these editors...become what they hate. They ARE George Lucas :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"Vom größten Bösewicht der Filmgeschichte zur Witzfigur" - Der Spiegel on Vader's new NOOOO

("From the biggest bad guy of film history to a laughing stock [literally, 'joke figure']")

At least a big name magazine in Germany agrees with our sentiments.