Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So, question. I recently confused VGA and DVI single-link in another thread in terms of "limits" (I thought it was D-Sub VGA that couldn't go above 1920x1200, but I was thinking of DVI-D-S)... but at the same time, I swear to God I've seen information elsewhere about VGA having an effective upper limit to the resolution it can carry. It is, after all, a twenty-four-goddamn-year-old connector type that was originally designed to cap out at around, oh, 640x480 with eight-bit color. I mean, I know it's analog and so it comes with all the issues of analog cabling, but I could've sworn I read about VGA d-sub having an upper bandwidth limit that makes it sub-optimal, at least, for resolutions of 1080p or higher, and that's a large part of the reason you never find it (or DVI-S for that matter) on cards anymore.

Am I remembering something that is an actual thing, or am I just smoking something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The timing signals on video cards often can't drive anything higher than 2048x1536, and above 1920x1080-ish resolutions, you can get crosstalk and interference issues unless you have thick-guage cabling, which reduces sharpness and fuzzes out color boundaries.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

flink posted:

Dell 24" U2412M from Small Business for $329

Oh, nice! I was waiting for a deal on these, thanks.

Goodbye 5 year old SyncMaster with burn in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You could say anything analogue is suboptimal for any signal that could have stayed digital through the entire path.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SpaceDrake posted:

So, question. I recently confused VGA and DVI single-link in another thread in terms of "limits" (I thought it was D-Sub VGA that couldn't go above 1920x1200, but I was thinking of DVI-D-S)... but at the same time, I swear to God I've seen information elsewhere about VGA having an effective upper limit to the resolution it can carry. It is, after all, a twenty-four-goddamn-year-old connector type that was originally designed to cap out at around, oh, 640x480 with eight-bit color. I mean, I know it's analog and so it comes with all the issues of analog cabling, but I could've sworn I read about VGA d-sub having an upper bandwidth limit that makes it sub-optimal, at least, for resolutions of 1080p or higher, and that's a large part of the reason you never find it (or DVI-S for that matter) on cards anymore.

Am I remembering something that is an actual thing, or am I just smoking something?

I'm pretty sure you are limited to the speed of the RAMDAC, but in practical terms, probably the properties of the connector and cable too.
I'm pretty sure I've read about medical imaging monitors that used higher than normal speed RAMDACs and as thus high rear end resolutions over VGA.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

flink posted:

Dell 24" U2412M from Small Business for $329
Just bought one of these from Dell Finland for 299 EUR including delivery even though it's something like 370 EUR on their website. Just had to call their salespeople and ask nicely. :unsmith:

EDIT: might seem a bit much if you compare it to US prices but it's an extremely good deal here.

Elos fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 31, 2011

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, I know it's analog and so it comes with all the issues of analog cabling, but I could've sworn I read about VGA d-sub having an upper bandwidth limit that makes it sub-optimal, at least, for resolutions of 1080p or higher, and that's a large part of the reason you never find it (or DVI-S for that matter) on cards anymore.

My FW900 goes up to 2304x1440 at 80Hz, but then it's connected to a GTX 285 with a DVI-to-VGA adapter.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Looks like the U2312HM is out everywhere now, starting to ship out today.

Elos posted:

Just bought one of these from Dell Finland for 299 EUR including delivery even though it's something like 370 EUR on their website. Just had to call their salespeople and ask nicely. :unsmith:

EDIT: might seem a bit much if you compare it to US prices but it's an extremely good deal here.

I'm seeing the U2412M on their website for €356 (inc. VAT) and the U2312HM for €282. How'd you manage to talk the price down since at €299 it makes no sense to get the 23" at that price? Calling in as a home user?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

If anyone was curious, I think Monoprice stopped selling the lovely DP-to-MiniDP cables, namely this one

And it only took 5 orders over the course of a year to get one that worked :shepface:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

If anyone was curious, I think Monoprice stopped selling the lovely DP-to-MiniDP cables, namely this one

And it only took 5 orders over the course of a year to get one that worked :shepface:

poo poo, I may actually give this a try now (again). What's the exact one you ordered?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

movax posted:

poo poo, I may actually give this a try now (again). What's the exact one you ordered?

The one I linked, which I'm hoping wasn't some once-in-a-lifetime pinout fluke because I ordered another :ohdear:

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Bensa posted:

I'm seeing the U2412M on their website for €356 (inc. VAT) and the U2312HM for €282. How'd you manage to talk the price down since at €299 it makes no sense to get the 23" at that price? Calling in as a home user?
I pretty much just asked how much and the guy said "just a bit under 300 euros" and emailed me the offer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

The one I linked, which I'm hoping wasn't some once-in-a-lifetime pinout fluke because I ordered another :ohdear:

Oh, ok, your post made it sound like you had linked the lovely ones and found a magical new one. I'll probably order one later tonight, 6th time's the charm! :shepface:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Just got my U2412M (got it for $320 by calling Dell so the deal didn't pass me by, I would have been pissed if I had gotten it for $400 a day before the sale).

:aaaaa:

This thing is awesome. Lag is minimal, responsiveness is drat good, and of course the colors are gorgeous (and I can't notice the dithering). I still need to calibrate it, but for now I'm extremely happy.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Elos posted:

I pretty much just asked how much and the guy said "just a bit under 300 euros" and emailed me the offer.

0207 533 540? I've called 0207 533 533 before but that's always been for work and I doubt they'd deal with individuals. If I can get a similar price I might even buy several since I know a couple of people who could use an upgrade.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Bensa posted:

0207 533 540? I've called 0207 533 533 before but that's always been for work and I doubt they'd deal with individuals. If I can get a similar price I might even buy several since I know a couple of people who could use an upgrade.
That's the number, go for it. Almost bought two myself.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Will the u2412 properly scale/use black bars for 1080p content? I want to jump on this sale, but if I can't use my PS3 with it then it's a no go.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi goons I'm already using a dual 24" 16:10 setup of mixmatched brands and TN panels and I'm planning to upgrade into something better - a triple dell IPS set up. A few pointers will be appreciated.

I have looked online http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=hk&cs=hkdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor and instead of getting 2 U2412M 16:10 I will take the deviant route of 3 U2312HM for the same price :negative: Or should I stay devout to the true path of goondom and just spend more money? Oh decisions decisions :qq: Nope, probably going to use the extra budget for 2 SSDs.

I am a amateur photographer into print work and having 2 different kinds of supposedly "calibrated" monitors is driving me insane when I use Adobe Lightroom so hopefully 3 monitors of the same kind ana a calibrator will fix the issue? I'm using a spyder 3 elite, if that's of any useful information. Please help me with these questions thanks!

• Any suggestions for a monitor stand? Apparently the ergotron triple mount only supports 22". Anyone have experienced with the XFX 24" triple monitor stand? http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/accessories/triple-monitor-stand.aspx

• Reading HardOCP and other older posts, apparently I need to have a 3 display port combo card/connection as mixing dvi/display port can easily lead to shearing and sync issues? Does the eyefinity edition series of graphics card really solve the issue besides fulfilling my dreams of being a domestic security guard?

• Cross fire is an expensive luxury and a problem for added noise, but for a triple monitor gaming setup of the newest titles and a nearly max setting, I should be opting for the Radeon 6870 eyefinity edition card right? Any other suggestions?

• Does going for a wider gamut mean that my edited pictures will look weird in my browser too and that browsers will have trouble rendering the colours?

• I also plan on getting a PS3 and the aspect of audio and connections is a bit confusing for me :( If I'm using primarily display port for the connections, that means I should just get a HDMI/DVI converter and plug the PS3 into one of the monitors as a display and setup an audio out to somewhere else. For the audio solution I can think of having the audio output into the PC, and set the standing PC speakers as the audio for the PS3 while I can use the USB headphones in my computer for my computer sounds right?

Or should I also get a HDMI/KVM audio switch for my PS3 and PC while retaining a pair of USB head phones? Hmm.... please help!

The project wont be done soon as I need to rennovate my room and house as I am currently living like poo poo. But will promise to post some pictures when I'm done!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:siren:Dell U2412M on sale for $329
:siren:HP ZR24w on sale for $300AR

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kefit posted:

Will the u2412 properly scale/use black bars for 1080p content? I want to jump on this sale, but if I can't use my PS3 with it then it's a no go.

Barring any firmware issues (which I haven't heard about), it should handle your 1080p just fine, yes. You'll get small black bars above and below the image as the 2412 is a 16:10 screen.

caberham posted:

I have looked online http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=hk&cs=hkdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor and instead of getting 2 U2412M 16:10 I will take the deviant route of 3 U2312HM for the same price :negative: Or should I stay devout to the true path of goondom and just spend more money? Oh decisions decisions :qq: Nope, probably going to use the extra budget for 2 SSDs.

I am a amateur photographer into print work and having 2 different kinds of supposedly "calibrated" monitors is driving me insane when I use Adobe Lightroom so hopefully 3 monitors of the same kind ana a calibrator will fix the issue? I'm using a spyder 3 elite, if that's of any useful information. Please help me with these questions thanks!

Either option is fine, they are both excellent displays. You should know that both of those models utilize 6-bit panels, but it took reviewers awhile to even notice the fact. Essentially, they use cheaper panels but still deliver amazing picture quality. I think only the pro-est of the pros will need to worry about this.

quote:

[*] Any suggestions for a monitor stand? Apparently the ergotron triple mount only supports 22". Anyone have experienced with the XFX 24" triple monitor stand? http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/accessories/triple-monitor-stand.aspx
Not personally, but I briefly looked into 3 monitor mounts for my U3011 + 2209WA x2 and came to the conclusion that buying 3 single mounts was easier.

quote:

[*] Reading HardOCP and other older posts, apparently I need to have a 3 display port combo card/connection as mixing dvi/display port can easily lead to shearing and sync issues? Does the eyefinity edition series of graphics card really solve the issue besides fulfilling my dreams of being a domestic security guard?

[*] Cross fire is an expensive luxury and a problem for added noise, but for a triple monitor gaming setup of the newest titles and a nearly max setting, I should be opting for the Radeon 6870 eyefinity edition card right? Any other suggestions?
Someone else can cover this in more detail, but the first part (mixing connectors) sounds like an issue that has been resolved. What do you want with these displays, 2/3 monitor gaming?

quote:

[*]Does going for a wider gamut mean that my edited pictures will look weird in my browser too and that browsers will have trouble rendering the colours?
Depends on how your monitors are setup whilst you edit. If you leave them in wide gamut, then the pictures will look great on your screen and other wide gamut displays, but gently caress knows what others will see. If you run in sRGB or something similar, other sRGB displays should display an identical image to you.

quote:

[*]I also plan on getting a PS3 and the aspect of audio and connections is a bit confusing for me :( If I'm using primarily display port for the connections, that means I should just get a HDMI/DVI converter and plug the PS3 into one of the monitors as a display and setup an audio out to somewhere else. For the audio solution I can think of having the audio output into the PC, and set the standing PC speakers as the audio for the PS3 while I can use the USB headphones in my computer for my computer sounds right?

Or should I also get a HDMI/KVM audio switch for my PS3 and PC while retaining a pair of USB head phones? Hmm.... please help!

Yeah, both the displays you listed should have a spare input for you to hook up the PS3 via a simple passive converter (HDMI->DVI). As for audio though, you'll either need sound hardware that could take an optical input from your PS3 (over a separate TOSLink cable) as the monitors don't have the ability to feed the audio from the HDMI signal elsewhere like a TV would.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

movax posted:

Barring any firmware issues (which I haven't heard about), it should handle your 1080p just fine, yes. You'll get small black bars above and below the image as the 2412 is a 16:10 screen.

This conflicts with the info I found here and in a few other places during my research last night. However, I haven't been able to find anyone commenting on the issue out of personal knowledge that would come from actually owning or having used the display.

And drat, the price is back up to $350 already.

EDIT: I managed to track down some personal testimony stating that the u2412 is unable to properly scale 16:9 content and instead stretches it vertically. I guess this wouldn't matter to most people since a gpu scaler can take care of this issue, but I have a ps3 sitting around gathering dust partially because I don't own an HDTV.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 2, 2011

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Just to confirm, yeah, don't get the U2412M if you want to use it for 16:9 sources. It can handle 4:3 just fine, but 16:9 gets stretched if you leave it up to the monitor.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So this isn't the video card thread, but I have a question.

I have:

1 GTX 460
1 SLI enabled motherboard with an open X16 slot
2 DVI monitors

Budget of around 500 bucksish.

I want:

3 monitors, with the ability to treat them as separate monitors and at least play videos and poo poo on any of them, although gaming can be restricted.

I would LIKE but don't NEED:

nVidia Surround or ATI Eyefinity for gaming on all three at once. It'd certainly be nice.

So apparently the nVidia only does two monitors at a time and won't do a third for hardware reasons. Okay sure. The GTX 590 will do three at once, but it's 750 bucks and that's a shitton to drop on a video card. So, if I'm looking to do this, should I just replace my nVidia with an Eyefinity card or do those do it as one huge display?

BONUS ROUND:

I have the following desk and I would like to see if anyone makes a monitor stand that would mount in the holes and hold up to three monitors. Or if someone knows of a way to hack one without having to go punch the holes myself. Excuse the lovely flash on the second one, those are holes and they're at least a few inches deep.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kefit posted:

EDIT: I managed to track down some personal testimony stating that the u2412 is unable to properly scale 16:9 content and instead stretches it vertically. I guess this wouldn't matter to most people since a gpu scaler can take care of this issue, but I have a ps3 sitting around gathering dust partially because I don't own an HDTV.

Thank you for this, I will add this to the OP desc. of the 2412M.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

movax posted:

Thank you for this, I will add this to the OP desc. of the 2412M.

You might also want to remove Picture In Picture from the list of pros, since it doesn't actually support that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

BONUS ROUND:

I have the following desk and I would like to see if anyone makes a monitor stand that would mount in the holes and hold up to three monitors. Or if someone knows of a way to hack one without having to go punch the holes myself. Excuse the lovely flash on the second one, those are holes and they're at least a few inches deep.

Reply to bonus round: I decided to just use long bolts and a 2x6 to attach monitor arms for the side ones and a monitor mount for the middle one. The biggest problem I have now is deciding whether or not I can shove a secondary video card into my PC without it turning into a small nuclear reactor.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this question is dumb or has an obvious answer, but what do you think of this monitor?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824262011

I'm going to be using it for a mid-range gaming PC, no graphic design or anything. I picked out the parts for it to play games at 1920x1080 and it looks like this meets my needs, but I wanted to check with you guys to make sure. For the record, my budget is very important, capping off at about $130(this monitor is currently $100 with a labor day coupon code), and saving more money is better. Also, I sit relatively close to my screen and don't have a ton of space on my desk, so I think 21.5" is a good size.

Sorry if I'm being paranoid! Everything about this monitor looks like a fit for me but I'm worried about wasting my money on a bad brand or a monitor where everything just looks like bright grays or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Falcon2001 posted:

So this isn't the video card thread, but I have a question.

I have:

1 GTX 460
1 SLI enabled motherboard with an open X16 slot
2 DVI monitors

Budget of around 500 bucksish.

I want:

3 monitors, with the ability to treat them as separate monitors and at least play videos and poo poo on any of them, although gaming can be restricted.

I would LIKE but don't NEED:

nVidia Surround or ATI Eyefinity for gaming on all three at once. It'd certainly be nice.

So apparently the nVidia only does two monitors at a time and won't do a third for hardware reasons. Okay sure. The GTX 590 will do three at once, but it's 750 bucks and that's a shitton to drop on a video card. So, if I'm looking to do this, should I just replace my nVidia with an Eyefinity card or do those do it as one huge display?

BONUS ROUND:

What's stopping you from just getting another 460 and SLI together for 3 displays?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Do you have to use Displayport if you want a 3+ monitor setup with Eyefinity? My laptop already has a second display hooked up via HDMI, and I want to use a third with the VGA port.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Eej posted:

What's stopping you from just getting another 460 and SLI together for 3 displays?

Nvidia's website is really weird about explaining SLI, and when I was reading it, it looked like it couldn't be done, but multiple people confirmed it can. I think I'm just going to do that, but I might have to wait until it cools down. 90F in my room with two video cards going in a case with fan cooling will probably just kill everything :(

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Cosmo Clock 21 posted:

Do you have to use Displayport if you want a 3+ monitor setup with Eyefinity? My laptop already has a second display hooked up via HDMI, and I want to use a third with the VGA port.

Yes

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Falcon2001 posted:

Nvidia's website is really weird about explaining SLI, and when I was reading it, it looked like it couldn't be done, but multiple people confirmed it can. I think I'm just going to do that, but I might have to wait until it cools down. 90F in my room with two video cards going in a case with fan cooling will probably just kill everything :(

You can run 3 monitors with 2 460s, but you can't SLI the cards together, so one card runs two monitors and the other runs one, as opposed to splitting the load evenly. Either way, if you have 2 cards, you can run 3 monitors.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Whoa, the HP ZR24W is now going for $250 at some places after rebate. I think I'll just pick up one of these for my computer and then a cheap 1080p display for my ps3.

EDIT: Well that sure didn't last long. gently caress. I just need to bite the bullet and jump on one of these deals as soon as I see it.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 5, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Couldn't he get a cheap ($100 or less) card, put the two "secondary" monitors on there, and keep just the main monitor on the 460 for games? I mean he physically could, but would that be reasonable/effective?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kefit posted:

Whoa, the HP ZR24W is now going for $250 at some places after rebate. I think I'll just pick up one of these for my computer and then a cheap 1080p display for my ps3.

FUCKKKKKK

I take it that the HP ZR24W is decent compared to the Dell 2408 and whatnot?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

madsushi posted:

You can run 3 monitors with 2 460s, but you can't SLI the cards together, so one card runs two monitors and the other runs one, as opposed to splitting the load evenly. Either way, if you have 2 cards, you can run 3 monitors.

Pretty sure nVidia explicitly says that the only way to get nVidia Surround is either from a multi-GPU card (which would support 4 monitors by itself) or by SLI-ing at least two cards together.

In fact, a quick google of "nvidia surround SLI" gives you a whole bunch of articles and forums posts about people buying a second card to do Surround.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phone posted:

FUCKKKKKK

I take it that the HP ZR24W is decent compared to the Dell 2408 and whatnot?

The biggest difference between the two is that the HP makes no effort to be anything other than a computer monitor (no scaling, etc). The U2410 has a huge variety of inputs, the U2412 has less and is more like the ZR24W.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Eej posted:

Pretty sure nVidia explicitly says that the only way to get nVidia Surround is either from a multi-GPU card (which would support 4 monitors by itself) or by SLI-ing at least two cards together.

In fact, a quick google of "nvidia surround SLI" gives you a whole bunch of articles and forums posts about people buying a second card to do Surround.

You do need 2 cards if they're 460s, correct. I thought the two options in the nVidia control panel were "SLI" or "Surround" but apparently they're "Maximize performance" and "Surround" and they're both under the SLI tab, so you do need to have an SLI-compatible mobo as you stated. I was thinking you could do it with 2 cards without SLI but that doesn't look to be the case.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I'm looking to buy a new monitor solely for gaming. And by gaming I mean the cs 1.6 hardcore kind of guy mentioned in the OP. My sole concerns are low lag (so obviously a 120hz), and low cost. If possible I'd like to avoid paying for any extra 3D ability/multi monitor setup/built in speakers/whatever else. I'm quite happy with the size of my current 20 inch LCD and if keeping the screen size small is a good way to keep the price down then I'm absolutely fine with that. The only problem I've had so far is that all the 120hz models seem to be larger ones.

Ideally my price point is around £150, but if a reliable and super low lag screen is going to cost £200 then I could probably just about stretch to it. Any suggestions hugely appreciated!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

a pwn cocktail posted:

I'm looking to buy a new monitor solely for gaming. And by gaming I mean the cs 1.6 hardcore kind of guy mentioned in the OP. My sole concerns are low lag (so obviously a 120hz), and low cost. If possible I'd like to avoid paying for any extra 3D ability/multi monitor setup/built in speakers/whatever else. I'm quite happy with the size of my current 20 inch LCD and if keeping the screen size small is a good way to keep the price down then I'm absolutely fine with that. The only problem I've had so far is that all the 120hz models seem to be larger ones.

Ideally my price point is around £150, but if a reliable and super low lag screen is going to cost £200 then I could probably just about stretch to it. Any suggestions hugely appreciated!!

120Hz and 3D seem to go hand in hand, so you'll generally get stuck with 3D capability and 120Hz together. One of the best right now is the Asus VG236H mentioned in the OP list; Anandtech really loved it, and I've enjoyed using one in person. It's $450USD which I think is around 220GBP or so, so it's at the top end of your budget.

Samsung also makes a 22" model, the 2233RZ which is a good deal cheaper with a 1680x1050 resolution. I believe Viewsonic also makes one, and Alienware rebranded someone's 23" panel I think.

The comedy option of course is a CRT. :downs: