Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

You're kidding? I just walked in, talked with the guy and said I'd join them, and he told me to shake his hand or whatever.

I...never thought of doing that. I thought it would advance the quest line and I would be stuck joining him regardless. Whelp, got my answers and thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

I...never thought of doing that. I thought it would advance the quest line and I would be stuck joining him regardless. Whelp, got my answers and thanks!

If you decide to join him you then shake his hand to seal the deal and you have a nice scripted death.

I had to retreat out to that main room and get behind the shipping containers, the npcs didn't follow me back into those, allowing me to reload and heal up every 5 seconds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mines and explosives were my answer.

In fact with default PN, there really isn't a whole lot that can withstand mines and explosives, even with a low explosive skill. Legion assassin squad? Two frag grenades.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Mines and explosives were my answer.

In fact with default PN, there really isn't a whole lot that can withstand mines and explosives, even with a low explosive skill. Legion assassin squad? Two frag grenades.

Yeah, I can't play without PN simply because of how awesome it made explosives. Of course this means I blow my limbs off more often but the trade-off is worth it I think.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Naky posted:

None yet.

Well, that sucks. There was also no plugin for the 2011 version, right?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Ace Oliveira posted:

Well, that sucks. There was also no plugin for the 2011 version, right?

Nope, and the one for 2010 only semi works IIRC from the niftools forums.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, I can't play without PN simply because of how awesome it made explosives. Of course this means I blow my limbs off more often but the trade-off is worth it I think.
In the Goodsprings fight, the powder gangers sent a barrage of dynamite sending everyone flying into the air/killing everyone. The only survivors of the fight were me and Ringo, who hobbled away because he was pretty injured. Project Nevada definitely didn't disappoint.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Red Mundus posted:

This also means when you get in a gun fight and someone throws a grenade... say goodbye to every limb on your body.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Naky posted:

Nope, and the one for 2010 only semi works IIRC from the niftools forums.

Dammit. Does that mean that I'm gonna have to go back to blender? I don't wanna go back to blender, it was way too drat disorganized.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Ace Oliveira posted:

Dammit. Does that mean that I'm gonna have to go back to blender? I don't wanna go back to blender, it was way too drat disorganized.

Time to learn the export shuffle between Max, ZBrush, Blender, et al. Max helpfully has a Blender preset in the OBJ exporter.

edit: Manage -> Set Project Folder in Max is your friend, along with a consistent naming scheme.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 5, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

jvempire posted:

In the Goodsprings fight, the powder gangers sent a barrage of dynamite sending everyone flying into the air/killing everyone. The only survivors of the fight were me and Ringo, who hobbled away because he was pretty injured. Project Nevada definitely didn't disappoint.

PN has turned the Goodsprings Shootout into a goddamn bloodbath every time I have played it. If you have enough explosives to equip the villagers it becomes mutually assured destruction as both sides just lob lit explosives at one another and suffer the butcher's bill for it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Brace posted:

This also means when you get in a gun fight and someone throws a grenade... say goodbye to every limb on your body.

That's what the sprint button is for.

..if you have working legs. :negative:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a mod that allows you to target thrown grenades in VATS to blow them up in midair, isn't there? That's one way to deal with grenade happy enemies.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I'm crashing every time I load up a DLC. Going to the radio in the abandoned bunker completely takes down the game. I've been messing with FOMM for a while to get my load order sorted out and I still have yet to figure out the correct order. I've even tried using the BOSS Auto Sort and that doesn't work either. This is my load order:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
CompanionInfAmmo.esm
Purge Cell Buffers.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
CompanionDisguises.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV4.esp

Total active plugins: 8
Total plugins: 8

I've tried sorting them all different ways too, I've even removed all mods entirely and it still crashes. My computer sucks so I'm hoping some of those performance addons aren't causing it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Delete your fallout/fallout_prefs/fallout_default inis and let steam download fresh, unaltered ones.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Omnicarus posted:

PN has turned the Goodsprings Shootout into a goddamn bloodbath every time I have played it. If you have enough explosives to equip the villagers it becomes mutually assured destruction as both sides just lob lit explosives at one another and suffer the butcher's bill for it.

You make this sound like that's a bad thing.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Delete your fallout/fallout_prefs/fallout_default inis and let steam download fresh, unaltered ones.

Just tried this, didn't help. :(

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I was about to call bullshit on this because I made the egregious error of going on a pro-NCR run and shot Vulpe's stupid fox head off his body and tossed it in a fire at Nipton, so loving Legion death-squad has hounded me all the way to HELIOS One and every time I've attempted to kill them, the heavy armor dudes rock my poo poo and are basically unkillable with guns- dynamite didn't seem to work, so I thought frags wouldn't be much better.

Load up the game, see them running up to me, bullet time and two frags, everyone dies except the leader, who gets knocked down, and I unload an SMG into his face. Excellent.

I just did an explosives guy my last game, sans PN, and now I'm kicking myself for it.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's a mod that allows you to target thrown grenades in VATS to blow them up in midair, isn't there? That's one way to deal with grenade happy enemies.

You always been able to. It is very hard to hit them though. (around 15% it seems)

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

it's located in the shack near the yangtze memorial and it makes awesome noises when you holster it :)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Retrograde posted:

it's located in the shack near the yangtze memorial and it makes awesome noises when you holster it :)
When you holster the poncho?

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Strudel Man posted:

When you holster the poncho?

The gun you find with said poncho.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

Time to learn the export shuffle between Max, ZBrush, Blender, et al. Max helpfully has a Blender preset in the OBJ exporter.

edit: Manage -> Set Project Folder in Max is your friend, along with a consistent naming scheme.

Is there a guide for that? I still don't really know how to convert the files.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ok this is really getting frustrating. I've disabled every single mod/DLC file except for FalloutNV.esm (ordered 1st) and DeadMoney.esm (2nd). And the game STILL crashes every time I go near the radio in the bunker. I've verified all game content, deleted my ini's and let steam download fresh new ones. Game still crashes near the radio.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Did you wait three days?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, I'm installing Fallout 3 with intentions to try out Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, and I have two (and a half) important questions:

1. Does RFTC work with Fallout 3 weapon/armor retexture packs? (And if so, what's a good set of suggested ones?)

2. Is there any good repository of links to good retexture packs? I don't mind any other portion of the game, but I feel chronically compelled to replace every armor and weapon texture for some reason.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is there a guide for that? I still don't really know how to convert the files.

Aside from importing NIFs and exporting the final product as a NIF in Blender, stick to OBJ format (Wavefront (obj) in Blender, gw::OBJ-Exporter in Max, ect). Everything supports OBJ to some degree.

Max has presets for many programs in its OBJ import & export dialog, and Blender's defaults are mostly OK. Normals aren't exported by default in Blender, you may want to enable them if you're having smoothing problems without them. Baking in XNormal also chokes on OBJ files without normals.

Before exporting from Max is a good time to collapse the modifier stack, add a STL Check modifier and look for problems. The exporter will give you the incredibly unhelpful error "rats nest in mesh <name>" if you've got things like double faces or isolated verts, though it will go ahead and export anyway.

Max has a built in Send To Mudbox option and supports GoZ for ZBrush to quickly export to either of those for sculpting. You can go the other way too, but it usually makes more sense to export multiple files of different levels of decimation from sculpting apps.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Chronojam posted:

Did you wait three days?

Huh?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Huh?

Push the wait key, then go a full 24 hours. Do this three times. Then try again. If at all possible travel away from the area that is crashing, in a small interior room somewhere. Also, save after that, then explode yourself such that your limbs break off your body.

This voodoo magic will often help.

The1DevoidoName
Dec 3, 2004
A blackgaurd whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.

Chronojam posted:

Push the wait key, then go a full 24 hours. Do this three times. Then try again. If at all possible travel away from the area that is crashing, in a small interior room somewhere. Also, save after that, then explode yourself such that your limbs break off your body.

This voodoo magic will often help.

The sad thing is that this is not a joke. Do this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It really does sound like what my Uncle at Nintendo would have told me to do to get a MewThree, doesn't it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not really as crazy as the "gib yourself to fix save corruption" fix. Three game days is the trigger for a cell to reset.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Wow, what an incredibly buggy game. Trying that now...

Edit: waiting 3 days inside the BOS bunker didn't help, but going somewhere else then waiting 3 days, then coming back finally did.

What the gently caress are these devs smoking when making this game?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2011

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How does exploding yourself helps?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It allows any foul vapors that inhabited your persona to be reabsorbed into the Aether, allowing your save to be less corrupted by foul tempered ills and eldritch spirits.

I wish I could give you a more precise answer, but in all seriousness that is about the best description that we have to my knowledge.

Edit: To defend Obsidian most of the major bugs in New Vegas aren't their fault but systemic to the Gamebryo engine.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 6, 2011

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Demitri Omni posted:

So, I'm installing Fallout 3 with intentions to try out Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, and I have two (and a half) important questions:

1. Does RFTC work with Fallout 3 weapon/armor retexture packs? (And if so, what's a good set of suggested ones?)

2. Is there any good repository of links to good retexture packs? I don't mind any other portion of the game, but I feel chronically compelled to replace every armor and weapon texture for some reason.

Arenovalis covers a bunch of the textures used in FO3 (10mm pistol/smg, hunting rifle). I don't know about specifically FO3 retextures but many of the armors are the same between FO3 and FNV, so your FNV armor retexs will cover lots of FO3 armors.

NMCs terrain retextures covers a shitload of the non-special location terrain and I think you can get his (old) retextures of Megaton etc. separately.

In general experimenting with new textures should be pretty painless, just stick them in your data folder and see if they work, if not then replace them back with the old ones.

But, I would have to advise wait for the next fix to the current version, alpha 3, since levelled lists are broken and raiders constantly spawn with .32 pistols and 22LR ammunition and then just cower until you kill them since they are defenseless. Also I can't seem to fix it since my GECK crashes when I try to load Fallout3.esm and FalloutNV.esm at the same time (which the RFCW esps depend on, so you can't examine them without loading both).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not really as crazy as the "gib yourself to fix save corruption" fix. Three game days is the trigger for a cell to reset.

I suggested he try both at once to save time :v: Although they are two distinct processes.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If anyone is looking for a really good armor to add to the game, The Wasteland Seeker's Armor that is up on the Nexus is really well done. A good blend of wasteland badass, old world military, and man on the run that avoids the tacticlol pitfalls that those armors often fall into. It's even got a bit of Assassins Creed in it's design from the look of it. The author seems to have really tried to balance it out. It is only slightly better than leather armor but it is really easily maintained.

Most alarmingly, the female version isn't some kind of playboy cosplay fetish gear.

Edit: On trying it further, the armor is still excellent. The quest to get it is rather bizarre though. It's a starting armor but the author put it so far in the quarry that you end up fighting 5+ deathclaws just to get to it. He's got a mod that puts it in a briefcase somewhere safe, not sure where though. Still it's a bizarre design decision.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 6, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Looks like Weapon Mods Expanded 1.1 dropped, and it adds mods in for Melee Weapons!

Now my semi-OCD rear end just needs Brumbek's inventory sorter to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

My game's been running like crap lately, I went to play this weekend. I turned off everything fancy, turned of Vurt's altogether, still crappy. Then I noticed, it's running at 100% CPU load on both cores. What the poo poo could be causing that? I haven't changed my mod loadout substantially. I started using Western Sky again, but that's about it. It even is slow when pulling up the ESC menu.