Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love that they put the stupid K&N "NO DON'T THROW THE FILTER OUT" sticker on the thing too. Even the most jaded grease monkey is going to take one look at that air filter placement, :stare:, and back away slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Centripetal Horse posted:

Does this bike grant wishes or something?

Wow I've got an '83 VT500, I need to cash in on my classic bike goldmine!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ursa_minor posted:

Hahha, just imagine this exact scene, but with your Dad riding it.

http://youtu.be/tIe0m4X94sQ

Hah, cute. My dad did, in fact, own and ride several Shadows during my youth.

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow I've got an '83 VT500, I need to cash in on my classic bike goldmine!

Tell me about it. I'm willing to write off the price in the title as a typo, but the price in the ad... I think he's serious about that one.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

slidebite posted:

In addition to the horrible fitting (must be great for wind noise) my point is a camaro/firebird conversion in the first place. It's just a why would you even do that? For the amount he probably put into it, he probably could have 2 decent specimens of each.

Really, how much do you think he spent on that fiberglass hood? Paint doesn't count because honestly, how do you think the paint's going to look on these, the last four decent f-bodies you speak of? Performance parts also do not count because you'd need to buy four of each for your argument to hold water.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh, an Opel GT on eBay?

has all the ground efects..whale tait.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I actually have the money for this and I am sorely tempted - also hilarious to see two separate KITTs are for sale at the same time.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

ZenMastaT posted:

I actually have the money for this and I am sorely tempted - also hilarious to see two separate KITTs are for sale at the same time.

Wheels aren't true KITT wheels, instantly stopped caring :colbert:

Seriously though, it's insane how much detail and effort some of these guys put into making KITT replicas. A bit frightening, too.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

T1g4h posted:

Wheels aren't true KITT wheels, instantly stopped caring :colbert:

Seriously though, it's insane how much detail and effort some of these guys put into making KITT replicas. A bit frightening, too.

But it says 99 phrases from the show! Also that guy is willing to trade for a Police Interceptor which can be had for like $5k or less, possible way in if you are short on cash.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

ZenMastaT posted:

only need to spend two or three thousand dollars more to have a car worth maybe two or three thousand dollars!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

ZenMastaT posted:

But it says 99 phrases from the show! Also that guy is willing to trade for a Police Interceptor which can be had for like $5k or less, possible way in if you are short on cash.

I spent $1800 for my 2001 Vic, so... yeah.

Contributing!

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/2574025463.html

Thunderbird Turbo Coupe? Yes please!

And it seems like it's muscle car mania here lately.

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/2574112826.html

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/2559921656.html

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/ctd/2568209047.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Someone save these GT-Rs:
http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/treasury/gp/dayton_vehicles.html

They're all export only and not driveable. Got busted, I guess.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

kimbo305 posted:

But look at all the cupholders on the r33; that's totally federalized.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha if you actually want a Mad Max car, Bring a Trailer has a nice one: http://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/29/bat-exclusive-aussie-market-1973-ford-xb-falcon/

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
But does it have a taco-meter?
:ese:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2563842485.html

THIS IS ARE AMURKA WE GOT 2 SERVIVE. OBAMA!!! :argh:

I really want to imagine the President and the entirety of congress really did show up at his door and told him straight up, "Hey uh, look, buddy, that car's gotta go because we all say so *cue evil villainous laughs all around*"

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Export only means it could be used as a track-only car right?

Also, at what point does something become a kit car? How much would you have to swap in and out to get kit car status?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

But does it have a taco-meter?
:ese:

Taco meter?

E: NEED TACOS
F: NEED RESTROOM

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Centripetal Horse posted:

Hah, cute. My dad did, in fact, own and ride several Shadows during my youth.

Tell me about it. I'm willing to write off the price in the title as a typo, but the price in the ad... I think he's serious about that one.

I paid $1200 for mine and it looks brand new. This dude is out of his mind. That bike is worth $3k on a good day and I doubt he'd get over $2k as you can get a ten year old Shadow for about that much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tai-Pan posted:

Also, at what point does something become a kit car? How much would you have to swap in and out to get kit car status?
If I recall correctly from poring over the Mass legislation for kit cars back when I was working on the F5 Daytona kit, the body of the kit can never have been issued a VIN. So I guess there's some irreducible part of each of those GT-Rs' bodies that can never be the basis of the car. I think you could build a tube frame or monocoque chassis and bolt everything you need up to it, but that'd be so pricy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Tai-Pan posted:

Export only means it could be used as a track-only car right?

Export only means you have to export it. I suppose you could re-import it as a track car, but it is required to leave the country regardless of what happens to it.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

If I recall correctly from poring over the Mass legislation for kit cars back when I was working on the F5 Daytona kit, the body of the kit can never have been issued a VIN. So I guess there's some irreducible part of each of those GT-Rs' bodies that can never be the basis of the car. I think you could build a tube frame or monocoque chassis and bolt everything you need up to it, but that'd be so pricy.

I've lived in Japan for about 3 years now and everyone asks me this question. Any GT-R (or any skyline for that matter, save the R35) cannot be imported into the states until it hits its 25 year mark. Some of the older R32 models are about to fall into this category but most examples of this car are beat to poo poo. Here, you have to get the vehicle inspected every 2 years (Japanese Compulsory Insurance) and any problem from the window motor to the CV boots must be 100% before going back on the road. Combine that with salty air and most R32s are rotting in one of very few junk yards or already crushed.

Motorex got a few R33s in and the feds have grandfathered those. Their story is too long to tell.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Monstertruck posted:

I've lived in Japan for about 3 years now and everyone asks me this question. Any GT-R (or any skyline for that matter, save the R35) cannot be imported into the states until it hits its 25 year mark.

Yeah but you could have one broken down into parts and shipped over here, as long as your state had a process by which you could make a very expensive kit car from the parts. Which I think was where Taipan was headed with the question.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Monstertruck posted:

I've lived in Japan for about 3 years now and everyone asks me this question. Any GT-R (or any skyline for that matter, save the R35) cannot be imported into the states until it hits its 25 year mark. Some of the older R32 models are about to fall into this category but most examples of this car are beat to poo poo. Here, you have to get the vehicle inspected every 2 years (Japanese Compulsory Insurance) and any problem from the window motor to the CV boots must be 100% before going back on the road. Combine that with salty air and most R32s are rotting in one of very few junk yards or already crushed.

Motorex got a few R33s in and the feds have grandfathered those. Their story is too long to tell.

If you really want an 89 R-32 when the 25 year thing ends your best bet is probably going to be either get lucky, or get one from australia/canada

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can still find the occasional decent condition R32 (or even older model) in Japan - I know a few people who have successfully got theirs on the road in New Zealand recently.

You have to be incredibly careful though and really need someone you can trust at the Japanese end to make 100% sure the car isn't a rusty piece of poo poo.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

dissss posted:

You can still find the occasional decent condition R32 (or even older model) in Japan - I know a few people who have successfully got theirs on the road in New Zealand recently.

You have to be incredibly careful though and really need someone you can trust at the Japanese end to make 100% sure the car isn't a rusty piece of poo poo.

I agree, I got lucky with my Evo IV. I bought it without looking at it, and luckily it wasnt rusted at all. NEVER buy a car from Okinawa...they last about 45 minutes after leaving the factory. I swear cars rot there worse than they do in the northern states.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I saw a brand new GT-R here in South Carolina a week ago. Do those rules not apply to the new ones?

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

The Scientist posted:

I saw a brand new GT-R here in South Carolina a week ago. Do those rules not apply to the new ones?

What, import rules? No, those are sold domestically.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Before asking any questions about importing Skylines or other vehicles, read this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Legally-Import-amp-Register-Nissan-Skyline_W0QQugidZ10000000006110167

Then refer to these:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/

That is all.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Huh, there's a guy in Alabama I've seen/heard of more than a few times with a RHD r34 Skyline... am I to assume that he's riding dirty? To be fair it's Alabama and they could not give a gently caress less about car laws here so I reckon he's probably safe down here regardless.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

^ yes his car is almost certainly illegally imported

VideoTapir posted:

Before asking any questions about importing Skylines or other vehicles, read this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Legally-Import-amp-Register-Nissan-Skyline_W0QQugidZ10000000006110167

Then refer to these:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/

That is all.

Sucks to be you, I live in Canada and it's not that difficult at all.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
How much trouble would you get in if you lived in a border state and had a Canadian friend register a skyline there and drove it around in the US ? Does the "borrowing a friends car" fly here or would they just take it

I mean the legality of that is dubious too, but it seems like you could skirt the rules if you were careful there

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nodoze posted:

How much trouble would you get in if you lived in a border state and had a Canadian friend register a skyline there and drove it around in the US ? Does the "borrowing a friends car" fly here or would they just take it

I mean the legality of that is dubious too, but it seems like you could skirt the rules if you were careful there

A Japanese national can drive his car in the USjust as a Canadian can, why not just say you borrowed it from a friend in Japan? Read what videotapir has posted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

I know a few in Washington that do this without issue....

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
But if you got in a wreck, even assuming that the car was technically insured as far as the States are concerned, would you ultimately be completely liable/at fault for driving something that's "unsafe" and "not street legal"?

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Landshark posted:

Not nearly as ugly as you would imagine.

Quoting myself to say, this made it on Jalopnik this morning.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's not rare if YOU MADE THE CHANGES.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Keep the faith brother, keep the faith

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Wonder what he even intended by that.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

One thousand, six hundred.

Maybe he was dictating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
You know man, sixteen hundred. 100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100100.