Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

gravyflood posted:

Yeah but everyone has a Wii.

Dragon Quest is a system seller in Japan. It really doesn't matter what platform a numbered DQ game is announced for; the installed base will be there, ready to go for launch day. Also, Horii makes his platform decisions based on the Japanese market, which is why DQ9 came out on the DS.

So while everyone has a Wii, it may not matter to Horii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Here's the thing. In Japan, everyone can and does play Dragon Quest. Unlike over here, games aren't seen as just a young male thing. So wii's irrelevance while at the same time being system of choice, remember Japan is their target audience, doesn't amount to much because ultimately, wii is the console with the most sales in Japan and DQ only ever hits the most popular system at that time.

It was announced for wii years ago. Just buy a wii for cheap and stop complaining, because the stage is set.

I wish they'd put it on psp instead, myself, but that's not happening.

At least with the wii, we have a chance of it coming to the west with Nintendo as a publisher.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Himuro posted:

At least with the wii, we have a chance of it coming to the west with Nintendo as a publisher.

I don't think we're in any danger of missing out on any Dragon Quest games regardless of system. I mean, there were 5 and 6 on Super Famicom, but DQ has seen such a resurgence in the past several years that we're even getting some Monopoly-type game with Dragon Quest characters over here.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I just wanted to step in here and say that I consider the original Deus Ex one of my favorite games of all time. I was stoked when the prequel came out and enjoyed every minute playing it. Adult, serious and touching upon deeper meaning than most games these day, I believe together they compromise one of the finest gaming experiences in recent memory.

That said, I would throw both of the discs into a stump grinder to be able to play DQM: Joker 2 right now.

Then I can breed my own lil' slimes and drackys and make 'em fight :neckbeard:

Seriously, DQM: Joker is the best DS game. This is not an opinion.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Terpfen posted:

Dragon Quest is a system seller in Japan. It really doesn't matter what platform a numbered DQ game is announced for; the installed base will be there, ready to go for launch day. Also, Horii makes his platform decisions based on the Japanese market, which is why DQ9 came out on the DS.

So while everyone has a Wii, it may not matter to Horii.

Actually, that's exactly what matters, DQX for 3DS, Wii-U or Vita would definitly sell quite a few systems but he's made a point to always chose the system with the biggest, already existing install base.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

John Luebke posted:

Actually, that's exactly what matters, DQX for 3DS, Wii-U or Vita would definitly sell quite a few systems but he's made a point to always chose the system with the biggest, already existing install base.

This is true. The problem here is whether or not DQ10 will come out for the abandoned system (Wii) or will come out for the system with the largest supported install base (probably PS3 at this point).

We'll see soon!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Terpfen posted:

The problem here is whether or not DQ10 will come out for the abandoned system (Wii) or will come out for the system with the largest supported install base (probably PS3 at this point).

This isn't even a question. It WILL be released for Wii. S-E basically confirmed as much, again, about two months ago. There is nothing left to wonder or rationalize.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

That said, I would throw both of the discs into a stump grinder to be able to play DQM: Joker 2 right now.

You know Nintendo's releasing this, like, really soon, right?

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
You could also say that 7 of 9 DQ titles have come out for Nintendo consoles. As well as all the recent DQ games. Thus DQ X would most likely come out on a Nintendo console.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
In Japan, DQ7 was released on PS1 nearly a half year after PS2's release. So much for releasing a DQ on "an abandoned system."
The situation's identical for X.
Besides, since WiiU's backwards compatible, there's no real benefit to NCL to have X be a WiiU exclusive. If people needed to buy a Wii to play, they can just as easily buy WiiU instead. (That said, it would probably benefit NCL the most if X came out after WiiU's release so people won't preemptively buy Wii instead of waiting for WiiU.)

I'm also willing to bet the installed user base of Wii is far larger than that of PS3 in Japan and worldwide.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Not only that, as far as I'm aware the Wii is the only home console that sold really well in Japan this gen.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

In Japan, DQ7 was released on PS1 nearly a half year after PS2's release. So much for releasing a DQ on "an abandoned system."

Couple of reasons for this. One, DQ7 was chronically delayed. It wound up coming out almost two years (IIRC) after its originally projected release date. And two, the PS2 was not quite a juggernaut in its first year of life.

So much for so much.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Terpfen posted:

Couple of reasons for this. One, DQ7 was chronically delayed. It wound up coming out almost two years (IIRC) after its originally projected release date. And two, the PS2 was not quite a juggernaut in its first year of life.

So much for so much.

DQ titles have always taken a ridiculously long time to develop. It's been that way since V.
Also, I was with Enix USA during DW7's gestation period. It came close to being delayed even longer when Horii hit the ceiling about the poo poo graphic quality way late in the development. (He was grudgingly appeased by the inclusion of several new animated cutscenes.)
Because he was so pissed about DQ7, he demanded that 8's development be put out to competitive bidding by developers instead of letting Heartbeat do it again. Heartbeat got pissed and walked out on Enix, which is why the PS1 DW4 localization project fell apart after I'd already started on it.
So, anyway, if a project is already delayed on one platform, why would Enix and its shareholders be willing to eat even more delays and forego income so they can put it out on an unproven platform with currently zero user base? I'd love to see the Enix board meeting where anyone tries to sell such insanity.

And two, WiiU's not even released, so it's even less of a juggernaut than PS2.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Heartbeat "got pissed"? Did they think they had a leg to stand on, or that anyone was going to hire them again?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Heartbeat closed up shop and immediately rebranded themselves as Genius Sonority.
They went onto make GC Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon XD, DS Pokemon Trozei, Wii Pokemon Battle Revolution, among others.
They even got back in on the good side of SqEnix, producing Wii Dragon Quest Sword.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

DQ titles have always taken a ridiculously long time to develop. It's been that way since V.

VII was especially noteworthy for its lengthy development, though, is my point.

quote:

And two, WiiU's not even released, so it's even less of a juggernaut than PS2.

I'm not advocating for DQ10's release on Wii U. In fact, I hope it doesn't come out on Wii U. I don't want to buy that thing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't notice till now that Joker 2's release date is the 19th, on a Monday. That kind of blows the chance of Amazon doing release-date shipping out of the water. :sigh:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Terpfen posted:

I'm not advocating for DQ10's release on Wii U. In fact, I hope it doesn't come out on Wii U. I don't want to buy that thing.

The point was that Wii is in less of a "situation" than PSX was at the same time of DQVII's release. That is to say, there is no reason DQX shouldn't be on Wii (really), and there is no reason (from S-E) to suggest it won't.

EDIT: gently caress, I came here to ask if anyone knows of somewhere I can sperglord out and follow the announcement that will be coming in like, 1 hour from now?

EDIT2: I am a loving child, but looked myself because google is easy, and gently caress, videogames.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/02/square-enix-streaming-reveal-of-new-dragon-quest-next-week/

Linked to an article so people can pick ustream or nico video if you know, whatever.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 5, 2011

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Watching the start of it on Ustream, but still no sound. :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sound just kicked in. Looks like they're getting ready to roll.

EDIT: Yeah, this is for DQ10. "NEXT"

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 5, 2011

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Berserker Demon!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
It looks like an MMORPG.

Horii: "It's a Wii online RPG. One that people can log in and out casually."

Multiple races including Ogres, Wedi, Elves, Humans.

Produced & developed in house for the first time ever.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 5, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So Dragon Quest X is an mmo for wii.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, I can't understand half of what they are saying, just saw a neat trailer for DQX. What system is it on after all?

e: Wii MMO, gotcha. God knows how that's gonna work considering how bad Nintendo is at the Internet thing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Maybe it's a single player game like PSO and Monster Hunter but you can go online to do quests and team up?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Himuro posted:

Maybe it's a single player game like PSO and Monster Hunter but you can go online to do quests and team up?

Is Level 5 making it? If so, it'll probably be like White Knight Chronicles (bad)

EDIT: Yeah like DQ9 works.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Himuro posted:

That'd make sense considering how multiplayer with DQ9 worked.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Himuro posted:

Or, like Dragon Quest IX.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
They just said your allies will be real players, so there goes that theory.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
If it really is an MMO, I hope there's PC support somewhere down the line. What are the odds an MMO for a dying system will get translated for outside Japan?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Is Level 5 making it? If so, it'll probably be like White Knight Chronicles (bad)

But will the story be bad stupid like WKC or good stupid like Layton?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Vittles posted:

If it really is an MMO, I hope there's PC support somewhere down the line. What are the odds an MMO for a dying system will get translated for outside Japan?

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Level Slide posted:

But will the story be bad stupid like WKC or good stupid like Layton?

Level 5 has nothing to do with designing or writing Dragon Quest, that's pretty much Horii.

Also, Level 5 has nothing to do with DQX.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 5, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Himuro posted:

Level 5 has nothing to do with designing or writing Dragon Quest, that's pretty much Horii.

And that means it's gonna be good. I'm not holding hope it's coming West, though. Maybe if it was single player, not a MMO.

Also, kind of weird that after FFXI and FFXIV we now get an online main numbered Dragon Quest.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 5, 2011

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Level 5 isn't involved.
X's developed entirely in-house for the first time in the series.

Five continents peopled by the five races: ogres, elves, dwarfs, praline, wedi.

Producer Saito: "Though an MMO, the scenario will not be thin."

Different jobs, and job-change system. New jobs to be added after release.
New quests to be added after release (like in IX).
Seasonal special events to be conducted (such as Halloween, Xmas, new year's).

Solo play & party play available.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

An MMO. On the Wii. Christ, I think whatever excitement I had has just completely deflated.

EDIT - And yes, I'm well aware of Monster Hunter.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A Dragon Quest MMO wouldn't sound that bad to me if:

1) They didn't pick what's been considered the worst of the online console platforms to release it on.
2) The same company behind it wasn't already struggling with running two other MMOs, one of which is practically free at this point and was criticized for being gimped on content upon launch.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Read this: "14:30: The next theme is things that may relieve those worried about online games. You'll be able to logout easily, for instance. You won't have to play with others -- the game can be cleared 100% on your own, using NPC characters. The commands will be familiar."

So you CAN play this in single player.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
My world... my world is just...

please just let me build and customize my own party of dudes and go on an epic classic fantasy adventure across the world. I don't mind if that adventure is a little dry. Just let me make a party of my own dudes. :ohdear:

Himuro posted:

Read this: "14:30: The next theme is things that may relieve those worried about online games. You'll be able to logout easily, for instance. You won't have to play with others -- the game can be cleared 100% on your own, using NPC characters. The commands will be familiar."

So you CAN play this in single player.
So its basically DQIX, but on the wii...? :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What are they saying about the Wii U?