Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
The Director's speech:

You can have AI party characters just like IX.
The interface looks pretty similar to IX's with graphics like VIII.
You can cheer other people on in battle, boosting their tension (for higher crit rate, etc.)
If your character gets KOed, instead of going to a church, you can put up a flag and hope another player revives you.
You can also play as craftsmen in town such as tailor, blacksmith, alchemy, etc.
You can build your own home on the land, inside and out, and invite other players in.
Like IX, you apply skill points to learn new skills.
Monster name color changes to indicate remaining HP.
You can also put your character in Luida's bar for other players to use and gain EXP for you. (I guess one'd be able to hire some kickass characters that way.)

They claim to be working hard to get the game finished asap. So, no release date.

Saito Producer's speech. There's going to be a WiiU version with better graphics as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I heard something 3DS related somewhere in that speech... is that of any importance?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I think there's a way of downloading data to 3DS for streetpass mode, like on IX.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
There were battle transitions... maybe this is more like DQIX, where multiple people can exist in the same world, but the game itself is primarily single player? Though is does look like a persitent MMO world.

An MMO on the Wii really makes no sense, though, unless they those the MMO format to capitalize on the Wii user base now but create a persistent world to transition to PC or the Wii-U, much like how FFXI spanned PS2 -> PC. Just a random musing...

They also mentioned the DQ Anniversary thing for Wii and Morimori 3 for 3DS... did they mention DQXI by any chance? I don't understand moonspeak, so I'm pulling info from multiple sources in bits and pieces.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Saito Producer's speech. There's going to be a WiiU version with better graphics as well!

Oh, I see. Neat, but where's my 3DS version with transfarring, uh, S-E? Where is it?

So, basically DQIX with better graphics and online play instead of that wireless stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Fancy Hat! posted:

I heard something 3DS related somewhere in that speech... is that of any importance?

You use it to transfer characters.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

So, basically DQIX with better graphics and online play instead of that wireless stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

Okay, seeing it described as that makes me feel better about it.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
A Wii-U version makes me feel a lot more confident about seeing it localized.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
After the initial shock, which was a pretty bad one, I'm actually feeling pretty good about this.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Horii ended with "2012."

We've heard bullshit numbers before, though.

Oh, and no mention of XI.
Like, are you kidding me? This is the first they've shown anything from X since announcing it in 2008, so XI'd be at least four or five years down the road for proper release. I think I'm more likely to see a grandchild by then.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, okay. This actually sounds good. I'll just wait for the WiiU version or something but yeah. Good!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Himuro posted:

After the initial shock, which was a pretty bad one, I'm actually feeling pretty good about this.

Yeah, I am still a little uneasy with the multiplayer focus. If party control is full AI... well... I mean gameplay works in Xenoblade, so as long as the game is otherwise DQIX with a DQVIII world... holy poo poo. Just gotta be patient... just gotta be patient. If I don't freak out, this might be real.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Horii ended with "2012."

Policenaut posted:

I'll just wait for the WiiU version or something but yeah. Good!

Oh yeah, as it is, this is likely to be a U launch title. And then they will localize it in 2013 :woop:

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Is there any chance of slime adventures 3 getting translated??

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^If they don't delay it due to slow 3DS sales like every other game, then sure. It's not like they have much else in the pipeline for 3DS.

So they are making a Wii U version, and you'll be able to transfer your data to 3DS... gently caress, close enough. Called it!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I wonder if party members with a single player will be generic like in IX or if they'll be specific characters with personalities. I guess they could have optional characters who you'd only take if you were playing by yourself, but it seems like there couldn't be any important story events that depended on them being in your party, in case you were playing with other real people. Maybe they'll have some way of doing it. I just like characters with personalities.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Action Jacktion posted:

I wonder if party members with a single player will be generic like in IX or if they'll be specific characters with personalities. I guess they could have optional characters who you'd only take if you were playing by yourself, but it seems like there couldn't be any important story events that depended on them being in your party, in case you were playing with other real people. Maybe they'll have some way of doing it. I just like characters with personalities.

The best part about DQ9's party is that IN-STORY you were alone, so the other 3 really were just nonexistent other-universe visitors. Sort of Meta.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The official site is up - http://www.dqx.jp/ . Apparently it says the Wii version will come as "12 inch disc and USB memory" - I guess they're using USB storage for DLC content?

It also mentions that the game will support all the control configutations - Wiimote/Nunchuk, Classic Controller, Gamecube pad - as well as USB keyboard.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Action Jacktion posted:

From what what was said in the conference, you don't control AI companions this time around. You only control yourself, whether you're in an AI party, or a human party.

My guess is that they're going with DQIX characters yet again.

Not a bad deal. I'm drat excited for this.

nene. posted:

Is there any chance of slime adventures 3 getting translated??

I don't see why not. Slime Morimori 2 was localized as Rocket Slime, and sold really well, from what I remember. I wouldn't normally care either way, but with the 3DS being region locked, I kinda have to.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Horii ended with "2012."

We've heard bullshit numbers before, though.

Oh, and no mention of XI.
Like, are you kidding me? This is the first they've shown anything from X since announcing it in 2008, so XI'd be at least four or five years down the road for proper release. I think I'm more likely to see a grandchild by then.

Well, what he said was more like "we're working really hard...maybe....we'd like to release it in 2012." It was a lot less definite than just "2012".

thetrin fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 5, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For those who missed.

DQX demo part 1:

http://youtu.be/QU2nZlF5Mjc

DQX demo part 2:

http://youtu.be/dr_NapIqlDo

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
The battle needs some work, but the game itself is looking great.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So... I guess the Wii backers were mostly right about the platform? It's still coming to Wii (at least in Japan), and Wii is clearly the lead platform, but I admit I didn't expect a native Wii U version.

MMO-ish stuff is, uh, interesting.

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

Here's some more battle footage from the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJO7IwYcsJU

Looks pretty good, I think I'll be picking this up on day 1.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Seems like a turbocharged Dragon Quest IX. Genius.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I haven't played any online games on the Wii before so I don't know how exactly this would work. Would I just be limited to playing with people I had exchanged friend codes with? If not, I'll definitely be interested.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mountaineer posted:

I haven't played any online games on the Wii before so I don't know how exactly this would work. Would I just be limited to playing with people I had exchanged friend codes with? If not, I'll definitely be interested.

Generally speaking, you can play with random people without exchanging friend codes but the sorts of interactions available to you - voice/text chat, playing multiple games together, etc - are limited to those you've exchanged codes with.

When Nintendo brought Monster Hunter Tri overseas they allowed Capcom to circumvent the friend code system, so I imagine they'd do the same with Dragon Quest. That being said, I'd be very surprised if we actually get the Wii version, they'll probably skip it and stick with the Wii U game.

It's also worth mentioning that there's a brief reference to a free/subscription service on the website - again, Nintendo worked with Capcom to make MH3 free outside of Japan and may do so again, but it's worth bearing in mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 5, 2011

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever

sesh posted:

Here's some more battle footage from the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJO7IwYcsJU

Looks pretty good, I think I'll be picking this up on day 1.

Uh... Ain't that FFXI?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hum, I've got nothing against MMORPGs but I've already had my one with Phantasy Star Online.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's worth noting this little fact.

http://www.1up.com/news/square-confirms-dragon-quest-online

quote:

Series creator Yuji Horii and other key personnel were on-hand to describe the game's behind-the-scenes story. Apparently DQX will be first game in the series to be developed by an internal Square Enix team (previous titles since the original having been contracted out to developers like Chun Soft, Heartbeat, TOSE, and Level-5). Development is being headed up by Yosuke Saito, whose most recent project, Nier, has become a cult phenomenon among certain RPG fanatics. While Nier and Dragon Quest could make for some strange bedfellows, at the very least it probably won't be boring.

Now I pretty much have to get the game. There has to be Drakengard-esque or Nier-like insanity involved in this game, deep amidst the inevitable punny names and Toriyama artstyle.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
My impression of DQ10: Horii is taking a second stab at what DQ9 was originally supposed to be. And it appears to play like DQ8, which is hugely welcome to me. DQ8 was the best game in the series; any imitation or extension of DQ8's core design is fine with me.

Now, the question is how Nintendo of America is going to market a Wii RPG in the wake of Operation Rainfall.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Mountaineer posted:

While they're calling this a MMO, it's very likely that we'll see a server system similar to Monster Hunter Tri. The Wii doesn't seem built to withstand a full thriving metropolis running around it the whole time. There will probably be smaller, localized "worlds" that cap out around 8-16 people at a time.

edit: I've read rumors that there may be a fee associated with this. Monster Hunter Tri does have a subscription service in Japan (just to be able to connect to others online), but such fee was removed for the US. They only charge if they think people will pay it!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Terpfen posted:

Now, the question is how Nintendo of America is going to market a Wii RPG in the wake of Operation Rainfall.

I don't think OP Rainfall is a relevant precedent here; it's fairly clear from DQMJ2's localization announcement (coming after most had written it off as Japan-only) that NCL is mandating that NOA handle all NA DQ releases for the foreseeable future.

Social Dissonance posted:

While they're calling this a MMO, it's very likely that we'll see a server system similar to Monster Hunter Tri. The Wii doesn't seem built to withstand a full thriving metropolis running around it the whole time. There will probably be smaller, localized "worlds" that cap out around 8-16 people at a time.

Hmm? Third parties are free to ignore WFC, friend codes, etc. as long as they invest in the necessary server infrastructure, and since this game was greenlit for Wii, I assume that SE is willing to put the money into the necessary server structure for a persistent world. It's not like PS2 wasn't powerful enough to handle an MMORPG.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Kotaku mentions that it will have some sort of subscription fee. Any more information about that?

Edit: Doesn't Tri not have any sort of fee in America?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Terpfen posted:

I keep hearing about this. I know Nintendo took notice but is it anything more than an Internet Petition?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It turned into a real-life letter-writing petition at some stage.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I think they'll skip the Wii version and go straight to the Wii U version, but what do I know.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Luisfe posted:

Edit: Doesn't Tri not have any sort of fee in America?
Nope. It's completely free to play. Not even any microtransactions that I'm aware of.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Action Jacktion posted:

Yeah, I feel that DQ9's story really suffered because of this. DQ9 is one of my least favorite DQ games and I'm not sure how well they'll be able to create a good main storyline with so much focus on multiplayer online play.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Terpfen posted:

My impression of DQ10: Horii is taking a second stab at what DQ9 was originally supposed to be. And it appears to play like DQ8, which is hugely welcome to me. DQ8 was the best game in the series; any imitation or extension of DQ8's core design is fine with me.

"Hey y'all, check out this awesome Wii U launch title, it's a MMORPG"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Square Enix' FAQ for the game (in Japanese) confirms that, while the first few hours are playable offline (probably a story-driven tutorial of some kind), the meat of the game can only be accessed with an Internet connection, and there is no proper single-player mode.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Wii U exclusive outside of Japan. The localizations may well not even be ready to ship until 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
This is like the worst possible twist I could have imagined. Especially the bit where they're releasing it for the Wii and then releasing another version of the same game for the Wii U but at a later date, and I assume that will be the "definitive" version and include a bunch of poo poo that the first one won't. And a loving MMO on the Wii, that's just an inexcusably bad idea. I never thought the day would come when I didn't pre-order a DQ game, but I definitely won't be buying this until some time has passed and reviews are out.