Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Pianist On Strike posted:

This probably belongs in Travel/Tourism but they don't have s small questions/Israel/Birthright thread, and I just have a small question:

I was thinking about going this winter. My cousin is also interested; he will be 23 in December, I will be 21 in November. Looking at the trips, they're mostly divided into ages 18-22 and 22-26. Would he be able to sign up for the same winter trip as me (registration opens this month)? He has already graduated college, so I'm not sure if they take that into account along with age.

I don't work in the travel industry, but my assumption would be that the age guidelines are just that--guidelines. They're meant to steer folks gently in the dirction of matching them up with people who are at similar life stages. Someone who's age 18-22, for example, is more likely to be away from home for the first time than someone who's older. Age 18-22 is more likely to be currently in college than age 22-26. A group of 18s will be under the legal drinking age in many of the United States, so if you have all 26s and one 18 in your group, and they're going pubcrawling in Chicago, the 18 can't go. Et cetera.

You could contact the travel agency you have in mind and ask them if their age guidelines are carved in stone like the age guidelines for when you can start kindergarten in a school district (born after September 1? Wait till next year), but I would guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In The 120 Days of Sodom, the word "socratizing" is used in a similar context to "amidst the socratizing of X and Y characters". I gather it's a sexual act, but googling has not managed to tell me precisely what it is. Does anyone know?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Anjow posted:

In The 120 Days of Sodom, the word "socratizing" is used in a similar context to "amidst the socratizing of X and Y characters". I gather it's a sexual act, but googling has not managed to tell me precisely what it is. Does anyone know?

Given the context, my best guess is that it refers to pederasty.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Anjow posted:

Finger in the butt.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
It's stupid kickball season. The team names are things like:

Kickin Nuggets
Public Enemas
Team Dream
Dont Come On My Base
Large Kicks
Pitches Be Crazy
AlcoBallics Anonymous
Rock Hard Kicks
Jimminy kick it
Freeballers
Insert Ball Joke Here

Help me come up with a better name before next week!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hummer Driving human being posted:

It's stupid kickball season. The team names are things like:

Kickin Nuggets
Public Enemas
Team Dream
Dont Come On My Base
Large Kicks
Pitches Be Crazy
AlcoBallics Anonymous
Rock Hard Kicks
Jimminy kick it
Freeballers
Insert Ball Joke Here

Help me come up with a better name before next week!

Kickball is fun (or was when I was 8, at least) but I had no idea this funny team name bit was A Thing. Google comes up with a ton of them.

I like:

WE DO KICKN’ RIGHT
SPARKLE MOTION
THE BALLED AND THE BEAUTIFUL
BALLS N’ DOLLS
WHERE MY PITCHES AT
DRUNK AGAIN & LOOKING TO SCORE
SUCK MY KICK

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What are my options when it comes to consolidating all the various sites I look at?

I follow a lot of tumblrs, flickrs, bloggers, rss feeds, livejournals, etc. etc. etc.

How can I get all of these things in ONE page or in ONE application?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Quantify! posted:

What are my options when it comes to consolidating all the various sites I look at?

I follow a lot of tumblrs, flickrs, bloggers, rss feeds, livejournals, etc. etc. etc.

How can I get all of these things in ONE page or in ONE application?

All of those should be available as RSS feeds. Set up Google Reader, point it at the RSS feeds for everything you want to read, you're done.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

A Violence Gang posted:

All of those should be available as RSS feeds. Set up Google Reader, point it at the RSS feeds for everything you want to read, you're done.
Can I get Google Reader to look wildly different? I'm not a big fan of using the default interface.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quantify! posted:

Can I get Google Reader to look wildly different? I'm not a big fan of using the default interface.

Not sure about the reader itself, but there are standalone programs for accessing your Google Reader feeds. For example, I use Feeddemon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hooah posted:

Not sure about the reader itself, but there are standalone programs for accessing your Google Reader feeds. For example, I use Feeddemon.

Yeah, I also don't know off the top of my head how far you can go in customizing Google Reader, but it's just one example of an RSS reader, which is what Quantify! wants. You could use a standalone program, I'm guessing there are other web-based options. Or maybe something like a Reader gadget for an iGoogle homepage would be more to your liking.

I had some confusion with Google Reader at first but it's pretty intuitive once you use it for a while. There's keyboard shortcuts, ways to organize your feeds, etc. Maybe just add a few feeds and check it out for a few days and see if you get used to it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

evlbstrd posted:

Any idea how to hang a hammock indoors on metal stud walls? Need to support 80kg - 140kgs. Consensus online is that the narrow metal channel does not have enough surface area to grip hooks. I also have a window and and closet door frame that are aligned, and wonder if it's safe to drill hooks straight into the casing, assuming there's solid wood underneath. Also considered getting LCD TV mounts, but that's more expensive than a couple bucks.

Ask in the DIY and Hobbies help thread. Fix it fast.

Preach
May 15, 2007

Mmm... oh Homer

Quantify! posted:

You can try Pure Reader (a browser extension). There could be more out there.

Shags
Jun 16, 2010

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...
Does anyone know how hard it will be to get tickets to The Eminem Concert in Melbourne, Australia on December 1st?

I have never brought concert tickets before so I don't know if I should stalk the website when the tickets are first released(they start selling midday) or wait until after work? I'm worried they would sell out too fast if I wait.

I can't get much information from the ticket master website...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shags posted:

Does anyone know how hard it will be to get tickets to The Eminem Concert in Melbourne, Australia on December 1st?

I have never brought concert tickets before so I don't know if I should stalk the website when the tickets are first released(they start selling midday) or wait until after work? I'm worried they would sell out too fast if I wait.

Stalk that website and prepare yourself for frustration as it crashes for 45 minutes and all the tickets are gone. Seriously though, this is the cheapest and easiest way to buy the tickets (the tickets are for you and you're buying them with a credit card in your name, right? I've had huge headaches trying to buy tickets for other people with Ticketmaster in the states), and there's plenty of time to make a plan B if plan A doesn't go through.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Shags posted:

Sit on the website and try to get them the very minute they go on sale. Do this with a good (cable, DSL, etc) connection because the website will just laugh at dial up. I did this and got Foo Fighters tickets for their December show a few weeks back with no issues.

If this is seriously your first time buying tickets online then it might pay to find another event on sale now and run through as if you were going to buy them, just to get used to the process (don't hit the final buy button!). You may need to set up an account with the ticket website so do that early.

Protip: Many concerts offer tickets in a pre-sale to members of fan clubs. Go to the artist's or sponsor's (usually a radio station) website to see if you can get early sales from signing up.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Shags posted:

Wait till after work and you're hosed, especially for someone as big as Eminem. It's not uncommon for major concerts to sell out literally in minutes, and considering Eminem is at the very least one of the biggest names in rap today, you snooze, you lose.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Is there a name for the sensation of reading or writing a word so many times that it loses all sense of being right?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ibroxmassive posted:

Is there a name for the sensation of reading or writing a word so many times that it loses all sense of being right?

"semantic satiation"?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

What word is it?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I installed a new chandelier with new lights and they buzz. I know why this is happening. It's due to the kind of dimmer switch I'm using. It's worse the more I dim, so

My question is how do I avoid this? I'm willing to buy a quality dimmer, but I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to tell if it has a LC filter unless I crack it open. Anyone have any recommendations?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Sizzlechest posted:

I installed a new chandelier with new lights and they buzz. I know why this is happening. It's due to the kind of dimmer switch I'm using. It's worse the more I dim, so

My question is how do I avoid this? I'm willing to buy a quality dimmer, but I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to tell if it has a LC filter unless I crack it open. Anyone have any recommendations?

This is only a short-term fix but I had the same problem and there was one exact place on the dimmer switch where the buzzing stopped. Try turning it slowly to see if there's one on yours.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Sizzlechest posted:

http://variac.com/staco_variable_transformer_100_.htm

Variac dimmers are what we use in film production for stable dimming of massively powerful lights at times (10k watts +). But whether it's a 10k or a 60 watt bulb, they keep the noise out of the bulb...they have to, we can't have noisy bulbs on set.

It's probably not a style you're looking for, but they look pretty awesome if you can make them work in your decor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sizzlechest posted:

If you replace the incandescent lights that you're probably using (as dimmable fluorescents are kind of expensive and unreliable) with LED lamps, you should lose the buzzing without having to change anything else. They also use less electricity and last longer too.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Vriac dimmers are what we use in film production for stable dimming of massively powerful lights at times (10k watts +). But whether it's a 10k or a 60 watt bulb, they keep the noise out of the bulb...they have to, we can't have noisy bulbs on set.

It's probably not a style you're looking for, but they look pretty awesome if you can make them work in your decor.

Yeah, that style dimmer looks like a rheostat, which should work best.

trandorian posted:

If you replace the incandescent lights that you're probably using (as dimmable fluorescents are kind of expensive and unreliable) with LED lamps, you should lose the buzzing without having to change anything else. They also use less electricity and last longer too.

I'm definately leaning towards this. I stopped at Home Depot and saw they sell a dimmer switch specifically to handle CFL and LED dimmable bulbs. I had no idea that CFL dimmable bulbs experience flickering or may not turn on when in a dimmed state. I looked up the product on Leviton's website and they have a video that explains it:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=577336&section=10856&minisite=10026

So, if I go with dimmable CFLs, are there any brands I should avoid? Any advice?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
CFL dimmable bulbs usually have a "dead zone" on the slider coming from off. So unlike your incandescent set, you can't just push the switch up a little bit and get a dim glow, they'll go from off to like 20% brightness or something.

A regular CFL bulb WILL NOT handle dimmable switches properly AT ALL. Make very sure any CFLs you buy are specifically rated for dimmable use.

And as I said, check to see if they have LED bulbs available

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I have a 1TB external hard drive that I'm trying to make compatible with both Mac and PC, but I'm not entirely sure how. I Googled it and found some things saying you need to convert it to a FAT32, but other things said that for drives larger than 32GB, the FAT32 conversion may fail and it has a 4GB transfer limit. I need to put files from my Mac onto the external drive and it must be able to work on a PC. If anyone knows how to do this, please help me out!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yoohoo posted:

I have a 1TB external hard drive that I'm trying to make compatible with both Mac and PC, but I'm not entirely sure how. I Googled it and found some things saying you need to convert it to a FAT32, but other things said that for drives larger than 32GB, the FAT32 conversion may fail and it has a 4GB transfer limit. I need to put files from my Mac onto the external drive and it must be able to work on a PC. If anyone knows how to do this, please help me out!

If your computers are Windows Vista or 7 (Or XP with a free upgrade patch from MS) and Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 (Snow Leopard or Lion), then you can format your drive to "exFAT" format to be read on both. It's basically FAT32 but it can handle large drives and files.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

trandorian posted:

If your computers are Windows Vista or 7 (Or XP with a free upgrade patch from MS) and Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 (Snow Leopard or Lion), then you can format your drive to "exFAT" format to be read on both. It's basically FAT32 but it can handle large drives and files.

Do you (or anyone else) know how to convert it to the exFAT format? Everything I have found is dealing with Windows, but I'm working with a Mac.

EDIT: I think I figured it out...using the disk utility I partitioned it into 1 drive with the exFAT format. Does this sound correct?

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 5, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Never done it myself on a Mac, but it looks like there's something called "Disk Utilities" in your Applications > Utilities folder. You'll want to select the external hard drive on the left, then select the "Erase" tab, then pick "ExFAT" from the format drop-down. Just a heads-up:

Wikipedia posted:

• Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users must have Service Pack 2 or later and install an update to support exFAT
  • Windows Vista must be Service Pack 1 or later for exFAT support
  • Devices formatted using exFAT cannot be read by any version of Windows prior to Windows XP or by any version of DOS or OS/2 (unless emulated as otherwise).

So your external drive won't work on older versions of windows, if that was what you were planning on using it for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yoohoo posted:

Do you (or anyone else) know how to convert it to the exFAT format? Everything I have found is dealing with Windows, but I'm working with a Mac.

EDIT: I think I figured it out...using the disk utility I partitioned it into 1 drive with the exFAT format. Does this sound correct?

Yes that will work - BUT - It will erase everything already on it, so if there's stuff you want to keep, copy it to another drive temporarily.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hey, what is this .gif from? I've seen it around for quite a while and I have no idea what movie it's from. To me it looks like Sean Astin is the meek guy but I'm not sure.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I believe it's from encino man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encino_man

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
How hard do you have to get hit in the head to get a concussion?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Barnum posted:

I believe it's from encino man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encino_man

Thanks!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I've read it's from Rudy but I have no clue. Encino Man probably makes more sense.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

homerlaw posted:

How hard do you have to get hit in the head to get a concussion?

Not very. I sustained a concussion in grade school when I was running in the gym during post-lunch recess and slammed into another girl, who was also running but the opposite direction. BAM! We fall down. I wind up with nausea and disorientation, and eventually a call to my mother by the school nurse and a trip to the doctor.

Why do you want to know? Are you self-diagnosing?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Schweinhund posted:

I've read it's from Rudy but I have no clue. Encino Man probably makes more sense.

That's definitely Sean Astin and Michael DeLuise, and they've only ever worked together on Encino Man.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Fig Newton posted:

Not very. I sustained a concussion in grade school when I was running in the gym during post-lunch recess and slammed into another girl, who was also running but the opposite direction. BAM! We fall down. I wind up with nausea and disorientation, and eventually a call to my mother by the school nurse and a trip to the doctor.

Why do you want to know? Are you self-diagnosing?

Dropped a bag of mulch on a dolly, got hit in the head as if I had stepped on a rake. I was worried for a moment, but I haven't felt any of the symptoms. Thanks for the response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I'm looking for a part time college job and came across this on craigslist. I'm not necessarily interested in the job (whatever the gently caress it is) but are these things legit, or are they just spam?

quote:

We are expanding are offices in Boulder and surrounding areas looking for motivated individuals to jump on board with are rapidly growing team. This is an extremely exciting opportunity when you see what we are doing. You will be working for yourself but not by yourself and the best part is you DO NOT need any previous experience. We have an amazing system and team that will hold your hand and walk you through this every step of the way. Let's face it, the economy sucks and it is not going to change anytime soon. So jump on board with a winning team of hungry individuals that have a vested interest in your success and get out of that boring 9-5 $10.00 per hr rat race. Thank you for your time and we look forward to working with you and providing you with an almost guaranteed financial solution.

Compensation: $200-$300 Daily!!!
This is a part-time job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

What's the deal?